Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Canadian Tar Sands Pipeline Ruptures in Arkansas

+4
knothead
ZVUGKTUBM
2seaoat
Sal
8 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Sal

Sal

EPA estimates spill at 84,000 gallons ...

Canadian Tar Sands Pipeline Ruptures in Arkansas 86086410

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/03/31/us-exxon-pipeline-spill-idUSBRE92U00220130331

What could possibly go wrong?

2seaoat

Somebody having a campfire in their backyard?

2seaoat

Somebody throwing a lit cigar to the curb?

2seaoat

Jed Clampett Jr. calling a real estate agent in Beverly Hills because he thinks he hit it rich?

2seaoat

The dog tracking in oil on your new carpet?

2seaoat

The EPA finding a dead Perdido key mouse in the backyard and declaring this area a protected mouse area......well after they remove the oil..............

2seaoat

That neighbor who complained to zoning about you changing your oil in your driveway......well she called again............

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

Then there was a train derailment the other day in Minnesota, which spilled 30,000 gallons of Canadian crude oil from a ruptured tank car. It was the first derailment of an oil train, which often have over 100 tank cars. They didn't know if it was tar sands oil or not.

http://www.pennenergy.com/articles/pennenergy/2013/03/crude-oil-spills-in-minnesota-after-train-derailment.html?cmpid=EnlWeeklyPetroApril12013

I don't think these events will have much impact on continued development of the Canadian tar sands, or the renaissance in U.S. oil production from tight shale formations, such as the Bakken formation. I have to admit that I am pro-development of these resources. If it reduces our dependence on Middle Eastern/other foreign oil and keeps the wingnuts from wanting to meddle in geopolitical affairs in regions that have lots of oil, I am all for it. I value the lives of U.S. soldiers too much to change my views.

In the meantime, America keeps taking baby steps toward improving fuel efficiency, and changing the way we power ourselves. I was buoyed by these stories today:

Railroads will pour $14 Billion into capital improvements in 2013. This is because demand is expected to grow by 50% by 2040. Plus, BNSF Railway is making a move to switching its locomotives to run on natural gas. BNSF is the second largest consumer of diesel in the U.S., after the U.S. Navy.

http://www.smartplanet.com/blog/bulletin/americas-railroad-revival/16436?tag=nl.e660&s_cid=e660&ttag=e660

http://www.smartplanet.com/blog/bulletin/railway-giant-considers-switch-to-natural-gas/14262

Trains are the third most fuel-efficient modes of transportation on earth, after motorcycles (#2) and vessels (#1). And, if you can run them on clean-burning natural gas, everyone wins. Any initiative that reduces our consumption of liquid fuels is a winner.

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

Sal

Sal

ZVUGKTUBM wrote:

If it reduces our dependence on Middle Eastern/other foreign oil

It doesn't.

and keeps the wingnuts from wanting to meddle in geopolitical affairs in regions that have lots of oil,

It won't.

I really wish we'd go the route of changing to propane gas for our autos. Nothing would cut more into OPECs profits than total conversion.

what we all need to do is all move in tents, stop using any products made with oil or energy gained by it.

and when I saw this, all I could think was............ what perfect timing to say that new pipeline isn't a good idea. crazy environmentalist at it again creating man made disasters to get what they want.

I wish they'd bring Amtrak back to Pensacola.

knothead

knothead

While we are all wishing . . . . . . I wish Congress would come to terms with the ethanol debacle . . . . . . it is a sham and a shame.

NaNook

NaNook

Why does the EPA report spillage in gallons? Oil is traded in barrels.

Shock value, for the low information voters.

The really big shock is coming, look at the Stockton muni bond ruling today. A judge ruled bondholders who saved pension programs have no claim to their money. The Bonds sold were to finance the pension shortfalls.

Guess what? Bond-holders are screwed, AGAIN!!!!

Watch interest rates, the pension funds get their money, bond holders have to jump through hoops.

Where is the tipping point?

Margin Call

Margin Call

NaNook wrote:

Where is the tipping point?

Same as always. Interest rates tell the story....of course, risk happens fast and often before the story can be told.

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

I read today that Saudi Arabia becomes a net oil importer in 20 years. The late Matt Simmons warned of the looming Saudi production declines in his 2005 book, Twilight in the Desert.

That news will easily triple the price of oil--good for investors who own oil--bad for consumers. This will drive conservation at a fevered pace and vault our country toward renewables and perhaps energy sources not yet invented. The U.S. has probably a 50-year grace period while we exploit our tight shale formations and use technology to squeeze more oil out of depleted fields. Then, the inevitable post-Peak declines will continue. Canada likely has the same time frame for its resources in Alberta and BC.

I predict solar rooftops will become standard in new home construction within 10 years. Lots of changes will take place as we gradually wean ourselves off of using petroleum for fuel, and learn to conserve energy in ways we never considered previously. It may not occur fast enough for the global-warming fanatics, however.

Sal

Sal

NaNook wrote:Why does the EPA report spillage in gallons?

How many gallons do you want bubbling up in your backyard, asshole?

Personally I would welcome the oil. You could bet your ass i would sue the shit out of them and get a new house and wad of money out of the deal.

Markle

Markle

ZVUGKTUBM wrote:I read today that Saudi Arabia becomes a net oil importer in 20 years. The late Matt Simmons warned of the looming Saudi production declines in his 2005 book, Twilight in the Desert.

That news will easily triple the price of oil--good for investors who own oil--bad for consumers. This will drive conservation at a fevered pace and vault our country toward renewables and perhaps energy sources not yet invented. The U.S. has probably a 50-year grace period while we exploit our tight shale formations and use technology to squeeze more oil out of depleted fields. Then, the inevitable post-Peak declines will continue. Canada likely has the same time frame for its resources in Alberta and BC.

I predict solar rooftops will become standard in new home construction within 10 years. Lots of changes will take place as we gradually wean ourselves off of using petroleum for fuel, and learn to conserve energy in ways we never considered previously. It may not occur fast enough for the global-warming fanatics, however.

How much oil has been discovered in the past nine years around the world?

Solar rooftops will become "standard" when they become economically feasible.

By that I mean when government chips in nothing and it pays to have solar. Also when the repair and replacement won't take six months to a year after any sort of disaster.

Nothing will ever occur fast enough for global-warming fanatics.

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

A lot of new oil has been discovered in the last 10 years; however this does not portend a future cornucopia of the black stuff, long term. In 2010, the CEO of Brazilian oil company Petrobas stated that the world needs to discover a new Saudi Arabia every two years to offset predicted declines in current oil fields.

http://www.resilience.org/stories/2010-02-04/world-oil-capacity-peak-2010-says-petrobras-ceo-updated

A lot of the new oil is found in smaller quantities; is much harder and more expensive to recover (hint: ultra deep ocean/arctic).

Solar ‘crossover’ occurs no later than 2016.

http://www.thestreet.com/story/11597613/1/when-solar-crossover-hits-the-world-will-quake.html

Solar ‘crossover’ is when it becomes cheaper to generate electricity from solar power than from fossil fuels. There is a reason why Walmart, Costco, FEDEX, The Timberlands, Ikea, and a host of other big—box retailers are installing solar on the roofs of their buildings. They are not doing this to bilk the taxpayer or to assuage global-warming alarmists—they see the future and how their bottom lines will be fattened by these initiatives. This will also translate to people’s homes as everyone gets in on the act of powering the grid.

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

I am really stoked about the future of energy. I come from a family that is both invested in energy and who worked in it. My grand father was a petroelum engineer. My father worked for ARCO for 30 years before it was aquired by BP. If I could do it all over again, I would also study petroleum engineering.

Things are happening on the energy front so rapidly that it is hard to keep up with all of it. There is a very bright future ahead as we change the way we use and view energy. The future is an electrified one--meaning society will largely be powered by electricity, that will be generated by a host of different means. Some with fossil fuels, some with renewables, some with advanced nuclear technologies. People will be driving electric vehicles. Railroads will largely replace long-haul trucking (they are gearing up for this now).

When the price of oil reaches $150+ or more per barrel, airlines will start dropping like flies. Passenger rail will return for moving people long distances. Energy efficiency in transportation will take precedence over speed/expedience. Society and business will adjust or die, and life will go on.

ZVUGKTUBM wrote:I am really stoked about the future of energy. I come from a family that is both invested in energy and who worked in it. My grand father was a petroelum engineer. My father worked for ARCO for 30 years before it was aquired by BP. If I could do it all over again, I would also study petroleum engineering.

Things are happening on the energy front so rapidly that it is hard to keep up with all of it. There is a very bright future ahead as we change the way we use and view energy. The future is an electrified one--meaning society will largely be powered by electricity, that will be generated by a host of different means. Some with fossil fuels, some with renewables, some with advanced nuclear technologies. People will be driving electric vehicles. Railroads will largely replace long-haul trucking (they are gearing up for this now).

When the price of oil reaches $150+ or more per barrel, airlines will start dropping like flies. Passenger rail will return for moving people long distances. Energy efficiency in transportation will take precedence over speed/expedience. Society and business will adjust or die, and life will go on.

The thing about petroleum that people don't often think about is all the other products its in. its not just or energy.

Here, some people here can do this 9th grade exercise. http://www.earthsciweek.org/forteachers/2007/productspetroleum_cont.html

meanwhile Ill still wonder about that keystone pipeline the whackos didn't want Obama to allow and the cause of this rupture is still under investigation. Wink

Sal

Sal

"It's unfair to condemn an entire program because of a single screw-up."
-General Buck Turgison

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

Chrissy wrote:
ZVUGKTUBM wrote:I am really stoked about the future of energy. I come from a family that is both invested in energy and who worked in it. My grand father was a petroelum engineer. My father worked for ARCO for 30 years before it was aquired by BP. If I could do it all over again, I would also study petroleum engineering.

The thing about petroleum that people don't often think about is all the other products its in. its not just or energy.

Here, some people here can do this 9th grade exercise. http://www.earthsciweek.org/forteachers/2007/productspetroleum_cont.html

meanwhile Ill still wonder about that keystone pipeline the whackos didn't want Obama to allow and the cause of this rupture is still under investigation. Wink

People who care about the environment do not go around creating environmental disasters to influence legislation. Preposterous. Yes, petroleum is in many products...notably plastics, which keep ending up in the middle of the ocean...and don't tend to biodegrade. There are other substances, like hemp, which could replace the petroleum in these products and have much less impact on the environment.

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

Chrissy wrote:

Kenneth S. Deffeyes, a noted petroleum geologist who worked at Shell with M. King Hubbert (original prognosticator of Peak Oil theory), and who finished his career in acadamia teaching at Princeton, wrote three books on Peak Oil between 2001 and 2010. Deffeyes says we will one day ponder why we wastefully burned petroleum as fuel when it has so many other uses. He hopes that some of the world's petroleum is preserved for petrochemical use. But, you are right. All of us are typing on oil right now--and you may be sitting on it, wearing it, you likely swallowed something made from it today, and certainly your food was grown with it. That is how important the stuff is to modern mankind. The challenges of the future will include learning how to live with less of it.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum