Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

IN buys PNJ

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1IN buys PNJ Empty IN buys PNJ 3/28/2013, 10:38 pm

http://inweekly.net/wordpress/?p=14536

To early to be April fools day, so must be true. I will tender my list of pnj employees that Rick needs to fire immediately. Sorry Mike3C's!

Weekly Has Sights on WEAR-TV
By Walker Holmes

Rick Outzen, publisher of Pensacola’s Independent News, announced that he has signed a letter of intent to purchase the city’s daily newspaper. The Independent News reports that the deal is expected to close by June 1. Terms were not disclosed.

“I finally finished paying off my credit card bills from Hurricane Ivan,” said Outzen in press conference in front of the Pelican statute on Romana Street. “What the heck, how hard can it be?”

The News Journal is owned by Gannett Co., a national media holding company that owns newspapers such as USA Today. It has been around since 1889 when Earle Bowden started as paper deliver boy and worked his way up to sports editor, then news editor, editorial page editor and eventually executive editor.

On July 1, 1969, Perry Publications sold the two papers, Pensacola News and Pensacola Journal, to Gannett Co. for $15.5 million. The papers were later combined to form the Pensacola News Journal.

Over the years, the daily newspaper has made several changes to make the profit margins established by Gannett: shutting down the print press, employee unpaid furloughs and asking employees to bring their own toilet tissue to work.

Revenue streams have been diversified to include the websites GoPensacola.com and DealChicken.com, several other publications, such as Bella Magazine and Home & Garden, and a chain of roadside boiled peanut stands in Escambia and Santa Rosa counties.

Public Reaction Mixed

Most Pensacolians didn’t realize that Pensacola still had a daily newspaper.

“When they stopped selling them in the middle of Davis Highway at the intersections, I thought they had shut down,” said Amos Reedless, an assistant greeter at the Wal-Mart on Mobile Highway. “I missed watching them dance when we ran red lights.”

Scott Meanie was excited to see the Independent News gobble up the daily. “My parakeet prepares to have IN in his cage,” Meanie told the IN.

Two people who aren’t happy and have threatened to fight the sale are Mayor Ashton Hayward and Superintendent of Schools Malcolm Thomas.

“It’s the end of my world,” mumbled Thomas when he was cornered leaving the district headquarters on Pace Boulevard.

Derek Cosson, the mayor’s spokesman, would only say, “Our job just got harder. We may have to start our own paper.”

Mayor Ashton Hayward had a viewpoint published with his name and smiling photo denouncing the sale.

“Perception has been reality in my administration since Day One,” someone wrote for Hayward. “Now I’m screwed. It might be time to buy those bollards.”

What To Expect

Outzen refused to say how much he paid for the News Journal, but assured that no BP gift cards were used. However, he talked about his plans for the paper.

“We will expand the news coverage,” said the IN publisher. “We will assign reporters to all the government agencies. The Sunday editions will be must-read editions.”

He added, “We will keep Bella and GoPensacola, replace the Weekender with INweekly and jettison the DealChicken. Everything will be bigger, more creative and without any worry about who we upset.”

The newspaper will continue to support local events, such as Mayor Hayward’s upcoming telethon to cover the city’s bills and WEAR TV beauty pageants to hire new anchors.
Will Outzen and his staff make it work? Can they make money?

“Heck, if I know,” Outzen replied.

2IN buys PNJ Empty Re: IN buys PNJ 3/29/2013, 8:34 am

Outzen says not a thing about the Maritime Park. Yes Rick, we know how park loyal you are!

3IN buys PNJ Empty Re: IN buys PNJ 3/29/2013, 6:25 pm

2seaoat

Outzen says not a thing about the Maritime Park. Yes Rick, we know how park loyal you are!

He is a smart man.....he recognizes the unbridled success of the Baseball operations......$2 ticket surcharge, and a 5% sales tax add on for concessions and you have a positive cash flow for the life of the park.....duh.

4IN buys PNJ Empty Re: IN buys PNJ 3/29/2013, 7:17 pm

2seaoat wrote:Outzen says not a thing about the Maritime Park. Yes Rick, we know how park loyal you are!

He is a smart man.....he recognizes the unbridled success of the Baseball operations......$2 ticket surcharge, and a 5% sales tax add on for concessions and you have a positive cash flow for the life of the park.....duh.

All at the taxpayers expense! Haha sillly screwed over dumb taxpayers!

5IN buys PNJ Empty Re: IN buys PNJ 3/29/2013, 7:59 pm

2seaoat

All at the taxpayers expense! Haha sillly screwed over dumb taxpayers!

Please explain? The taxpayers are investing in a cash cow which will return money to the community, and in twenty five years the community will have this beautiful park free and clear.....with baseball operations paying the entire freight until the park is built out......tell me how after proper adjustments which positive cash flow this how taxpayers are out of anything. All over the nation, folks are passing open space referendums which buys land, buys development rights, and they do not get one dime of contribution from entities which rent that land.....here they brilliantly put a dynamic in place which will pay the bills and keep this beautiful open space on the bay for my great grandchildren.......the only folks who have consistently shown a lack of intelligence are not the taxpayers who overwhelmingly supported this park, but the folks who lost the argument and now continue to whine and cry about success......it is mind blowing......but being that most naysayers have emptied their heads with emotion.........well.......I remain polite.....simply amusing. Tell me what do you think the attendance will be this year......I say just south of 350k, and a larger percentage of beach visitors becoming park visitors........Kane County Cougars were not suppose to get 200k and one year they almost did 550k.........of course the talk of expansion of the park needs to be addressed. On busy holiday weekends, another 1000 seats could have over 400k attendance and almost 250-500k windfall for the taxpayers.....nope this really is a no brainer.

6IN buys PNJ Empty Re: IN buys PNJ 4/24/2013, 10:10 pm

WTM (BPSNACKS today) is like the kid on the Life cereal commercial-

"he hates everything"

7IN buys PNJ Empty Re: IN buys PNJ 4/24/2013, 11:08 pm

PACEDOG#1 wrote:WTM (BPSNACKS today) is like the kid on the Life cereal commercial-

"he hates everything"

It's not me you feckless POS stalker. How can you be this dense AND stalk me all over this forum....?

You're like a fat crack addict.

8IN buys PNJ Empty Re: IN buys PNJ 5/4/2013, 2:27 pm

Not as fat as you homey. Multiple personalities are really kicking in lately huh?

9IN buys PNJ Empty Re: IN buys PNJ 5/4/2013, 3:09 pm

PACEDOG#1 wrote:Not as fat as you homey. Multiple personalities are really kicking in lately huh?

Why did your wife kick your cheatin' ass to the curb...?

You seem to have a problem with solemn oaths.

10IN buys PNJ Empty Re: IN buys PNJ 5/4/2013, 11:06 pm

2seaoat wrote:Outzen says not a thing about the Maritime Park. Yes Rick, we know how park loyal you are!

No, Rick has been running full page Wahoo ads I suspect Studer paid for. Rick Outzen aint going to criticize the person that feeds him.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum