Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

REALITY CHECK: "The U.S. unemployment rate is down, but that is because many Americans have given up looking for a job."

+3
2seaoat
talknstang
Hospital Bob
7 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

From Forbes...

The U.S. unemployment rate is down, but that is because many Americans have given up looking for a job.
Dean Baker, an economist with the Center for Economic Policy Research in Washington, said Friday that the decline in U.S. labor force participation in this recent data release was “striking.”
The unemployment rate has dropped more than 40% of the way back to its pre-recession level, but the employment-to-population ratio is closer to its trough than its pre-recession peak. In English: less Americans are looking for employment.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/kenrapoza/2013/03/08/unemployment-rate-down-as-americans-give-up-on-work/

which is sourced from...

The unemployment rate fell to 7.7 percent, but this drop was largely attributable to a decline in labor force participation. The employment-to-population ratio (EPOP) was unchanged at 58.6 percent, exactly the same as the rate in February of 2012 and just 0.4 percentage points above the low hit in the summer of 2011.

http://www.cepr.net/index.php/data-bytes/jobs-bytes/jobs-2013-03

talknstang

this going to be a contributing part to another serious relapse with the economy. These unemployment numbers are skewed and do not account for those who have completely fallen off the unemployment radar after their unemployment runs out, etc. And the stock market is at an all time high which doesnt correlate with the GDP. They only reason why things look somewhat better is because our own government is still pumping installments of money into the economy from the ARRA....money we really dont even have. We could be heading for a recession worse than before. I guess they figure the US Treasury can print out all the money they want as long as we spend it within CONUS. Its a volcano ready to erupt.

Bob wrote:From Forbes...

The U.S. unemployment rate is down, but that is because many Americans have given up looking for a job.
Dean Baker, an economist with the Center for Economic Policy Research in Washington, said Friday that the decline in U.S. labor force participation in this recent data release was “striking.”
The unemployment rate has dropped more than 40% of the way back to its pre-recession level, but the employment-to-population ratio is closer to its trough than its pre-recession peak. In English: less Americans are looking for employment.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/kenrapoza/2013/03/08/unemployment-rate-down-as-americans-give-up-on-work/

which is sourced from...

The unemployment rate fell to 7.7 percent, but this drop was largely attributable to a decline in labor force participation. The employment-to-population ratio (EPOP) was unchanged at 58.6 percent, exactly the same as the rate in February of 2012 and just 0.4 percentage points above the low hit in the summer of 2011.

http://www.cepr.net/index.php/data-bytes/jobs-bytes/jobs-2013-03

So what happened to these people who gave up looking for a job? They became homeless or what? This is why I don't fall for this "they gave up looking for a job".

2seaoat

Geez.......do you understand that people who retire are not looking for work, and that retirees are part of the stats. Do you realize that the babyboomers are retiring in record numbers and these stats are completely explainable by the same. folks retire......people replace them, and the numbers not looking increase......it is not rocket science.

2seaoat

The Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) labels people who are unemployed and no longer looking for work as “not in the labor force,” including people who have retired on schedule, taken early retirement, or simply given up looking for work.

Let everybody take a deep breath and engage their brains......the next 10 years will have record numbers of people leaving the workforce. It is called retirement. Most of those jobs will open up and give opportunities to younger people, and the economy may not boom, but this idea that we are crashing down right now is a carefully crafted partisan view of our economic situation. In actuality many of these retirees are going to be taking seasonal and part time work and still collect their retirement benefits......retirement benefits are going to be just fine until 2035 and as the economy shows modest growth we will have increased payroll deductions, extended retirement, and a solvent system, but in the meantime we get this nonsense posted that somehow people have just magically decided to leave the workforce because they are frustrated because no jobs exist.........or maybe record number of folks are retiring.......you make the intelligent choice.

The only way to prove a problem with unemplyment with people is the simple fact they cant get a job or they see a limited amount of oportunities.

The people here do not need jobs. Most of them are retired and sitting on thier asses or living off mommy.

2seaoat

The only way to prove a problem with unemplyment with people is the simple fact they cant get a job or they see a limited amount of oportunities.

You are very correct. Hell the unemployment stats could be down to 6.0, but if a person in your family is unemployed........the stats mean nothing when you are without a job and trying to take care of your family but no jobs are out there.

However, to misuse the statistics and not understand that folks are retiring in record numbers and will be retiring in record numbers over the next decade.......then this certainly explains part of the stats.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

For seaoat...

Unemployment–behind the official numbers (the myth of the retiring baby boomers)

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-bloggers/2880052/posts

Sal

Sal

Jobs??

We don't need no stinkin' jobs.

Austerity!!

2seaoat

In fact, the older demographic has remained steady and, in fact, even seen job percentage increases among those thought to be retiring.
Job holders 55 and up have risen by 3.9 million — and fallen by 8.1 million among those under 55, Labor Department data show. It’s been 50 months and counting since payrolls peaked, a post-war record. Labor releases the April jobs report on Friday morning.
For the 65-69 and 70-74 groups, the employed shares are up 1.1 percentage points and 1.6 percentage points, respectively, over the past four years.
So much for that myth. In fact the early retiree level (i.e. those who claim Social Security at the lowest possible age – 62) dropped to 26.9% last year, the lowest since 1976.

This blogger has cherry picked their stats. First, a large percentage of currently unemployed are older americans who choose early retirement. They are already out of the labor force, and none of the above stats account for them. Also, cherry picking 62 the lowest possible age does say a thing about the person retiring at 62.5 or 63, 64. This is simply more statistical manipulation from the obvious. Record numbers of people are continuing to apply for social security but the simple fact is as follows:

Starting in 2011, about 10,000 baby boomers turn 65 years old everyday. About 60% of them are expected to retire - that is, about 6,000 per day.

Bob you can quote a blog about record lows on people retiring at 62, but the truth is that four million folks are retiring and that some may work part time jobs, 40% will continue to work but four million will skew any statistical report, and a blogger trying to pull rabbits out of a hat to unexplain the obvious just does not make it over the finish line. Babyboomers are dropping out in record numbers and the stats reflect the same.

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

2seaoat wrote:The only way to prove a problem with unemplyment with people is the simple fact they cant get a job or they see a limited amount of oportunities.

You are very correct. Hell the unemployment stats could be down to 6.0, but if a person in your family is unemployed........the stats mean nothing when you are without a job and trying to take care of your family but no jobs are out there.

However, to misuse the statistics and not understand that folks are retiring in record numbers and will be retiring in record numbers over the next decade.......then this certainly explains part of the stats.

But only PART, Seaoat. George W. Bush, during his two terms of office, created NO jobs, then capped his last term off by pushing through the TARP. Yes, I realize Obama had to implement it. Beyond that, there were additional payouts both to domestic and foreign banking entities. Then, not only did the banks pay themselves huge bonuses, they also tightened lending standards and foreclosed without proper documentation or legal chain of title in many cases. I think you've suffered because of these actions, maybe not as much, though, as the average working guy. Some friends of mine lost their construction business and then their home. That's no isolated story; there are more like it all over the country. So, the boomer story is a piece of the population pyramid that was expected and could be forecast well in advance as it impacted SS, Medicare, etc. The rest of the story is systemic corruption and old fashioned greed.

This reminds me, ironically, of Gerald Ford's "bite the bullet."

knothead

knothead

Chrissy wrote:The only way to prove a problem with unemplyment with people is the simple fact they cant get a job or they see a limited amount of oportunities.

The people here do not need jobs. Most of them are retired and sitting on thier asses or living off mommy.

Chrissy . . . . . . your comment deserves a response. I am no longer in the work force but I work daily to serve my community where and when I can . . . .I do draw a very generous retirement that I paid handsomely for over a period of forty years working for the most part working seven days per week and stayed on call for emergencies. If they needed someone they knew I was their guy, I missed birthdays, anniversaries, sickness, special occasions . . . . .Saturdays were like Tuesdays . . . . . they all ran together . . . . . it didn't matter if it was 3:00 AM or 3:00 PM . . . . I worked for five and one half years seven days a week except for my vacation time . . . . . so when you refer to people like me sitting on their asses it kinda pisses me off, I had a great career, good income and I maxed out every single avenue to pave the way for a worry-free retirement . . . . . it would be appreciated if you would think before making such passe' comments venting your views onto people who have walked the straight and narrow and I have no doubt that many on this forum sacrificed even more than to take a much deserved rest and your disrespectful attitude towards those of us who have earned some respect . . . . . I, for one, won't tolerate it.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

I have to tell you that I find it so bizarre that someone would think retirees should be included in calculating the "unemployed". If indeed that is what the official monkey mucks who calculate unemployment figures are doing then it's just another sign of the idiocracy we have become.

knothead wrote:
Chrissy wrote:The only way to prove a problem with unemplyment with people is the simple fact they cant get a job or they see a limited amount of oportunities.

Chrissy . . . . . . your comment deserves a response. I am no longer in the work force but I work daily to serve my community where and when I can . . . .I do draw a very generous retirement that I paid handsomely for over a period of forty years working for the most part working seven days per week and stayed on call for emergencies. If they needed someone they knew I was their guy, I missed birthdays, anniversaries, sickness, special occasions . . . . .Saturdays were like Tuesdays . . . . . they all ran together . . . . . it didn't matter if it was 3:00 AM or 3:00 PM . . . . I worked for five and one half years seven days a week except for my vacation time . . . . . so when you refer to people like me sitting on their asses it kinda pisses me off, I had a great career, good income and I maxed out every single avenue to pave the way for a worry-free retirement . . . . . it would be appreciated if you would think before making such passe' comments venting your views onto people who have walked the straight and narrow and I have no doubt that many on this forum sacrificed even more than to take a much deserved rest and your disrespectful attitude towards those of us who have earned some respect . . . . . I, for one, won't tolerate it.

well since you made such a long response let me break my video rule.

my point is that people who are retired are not feeling the effects of what its like out in the job market. Iam referring to the people here specifically on that to the ones who go on and on about how god damn wonderful it is out here righ now. because its not wonderful out here right now even in a good job that you may be secured in. this enviroment has made bussiness ownser and companies very leary and extremly frugal. it has not ceated a enviroment that creates a lot of hope for making plans for the future.

so what im saying is, you really need to be out here in the workforce to feel the effects of how it is these days. not sitting on the couch reading a fucking number and saying how wonderful it is.

if my comment pissed you off, oh well. but hopfully the above explains my veiws on what I said. and to clarify, i have agreat deal of respect for people who have worked all thier life and retired. so my comment refers spcifically to being retired and then trying to tell people how it is in the labor force is my issue. Because that pisses me off because im in the labor force and its painful out here. so we are even on the pissing off for now. Razz

Chrissy wrote:
knothead wrote:

my point is that people who are retired are not feeling the effects of what its like out in the job market. Iam referring to the people here specifically on that to the ones who go on and on about how god damn wonderful it is out here righ now. because its not wonderful out here right now even in a good job that you may be secured in. this enviroment has made bussiness ownser and companies very leary and extremly frugal. it has not ceated a enviroment that creates a lot of hope for making plans for the future.

so what im saying is, you really need to be out here in the workforce to feel the effects of how it is these days. not sitting on the couch reading a fucking number and saying how wonderful it is.

if my comment pissed you off, oh well. but hopfully the above explains my veiws on what I said. and to clarify, i have agreat deal of respect for people who have worked all thier life and retired. so my comment refers spcifically to being retired and then trying to tell people how it is in the labor force is my issue. Because that pisses me off because im in the labor force and its painful out here. so we are even on the pissing off for now. Razz

WTF! What makes you think your work is any more painful than anyone else who has worked? You make no sense w/ your rantings. The labor force has all of a sudden made people have to work harder? Jesus H Christ!

knothead wrote:

Amen,brother!

More people are looking for jobs than are retiring......

Dreamsglore wrote:

WTF! What makes you think your work is any more painful than anyone else who has worked? You make no sense w/ your rantings. The labor force has all of a sudden made people have to work harder? Jesus H Christ!

Stupid woman, it HAS made those of us in the workforce work harder to support your lifestyle.

You sit here and act like you DESERVE everything when you aren't getting laid off or threatened with no work. F OFF

boards of FL

boards of FL

The unemployment rate has always carried a certain degree of ambiguity. It wasn't until the most recent president that anyone ever questioned this process.

boards of FL wrote:The unemployment rate has always carried a certain degree of ambiguity. It wasn't until the most recent president that anyone ever questioned this process.

This is true and you may recall I question the validity of these numbers years ago i think before Obie becamse prez. I had a conversation with you and margin over how the data was collected. I still find the method inaccurate and very easy to manipulate anyway they want at any given time for any side they wish to present.

This is why i put so much emphasis on the climate out here in the work force. That is your real barometer. And in all of my life and I have been working for 30 years I have never seen a climate so hostile as this one. People are scared. And this is creating something some people wouldnt think about, its creating the type of employee that is job scared and this isnt always good. Im speaking to you as a professional right now, not as my online chrissy persona. This is not a work force climate that is ideal for growth and prosperity. Its one of back stabbing, hostility and as a upper managment person it is one where you may have more room to take advantage of peoples fear by offering less pay and also demanding uneasonable work load requirments.

Those are my thoughts. im done for now.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

boards of FL wrote:The unemployment rate has always carried a certain degree of ambiguity. It wasn't until the most recent president that anyone ever questioned this process.

Whichever celebrity is the figurehead for the government is of not much significance to me. The main reason I question all of it right now is because the last time the stock market was at 14,000 on the Dow, the unemployment rate was 4.6%. I have great difficulty understanding this monumental disconnect between Wall Street and Main Street. And the official "unemployment rate" is a key component of that idiocracy.

2seaoat

No disconnect at all.....the record profits are partially explained by the austerity measures which corporations have followed for the last five years, and the outsourcing of American Jobs for less expense.........We are a colony now, open to exploitation by wealth.......American wealth or foreign wealth......our resources and people are open season......we have two political parties who rarely represent the American People when 80% of legislation which benefits the American People sits fallow in Congress..........it will take revolutionary zeal to correct our situation, but with each passing year the middle class shrinks and the powerless grow.

knothead

knothead

if my comment pissed you off, oh well. but hopfully the above explains my veiws on what I said. and to clarify, i have agreat deal of respect for people who have worked all thier life and retired. so my comment refers spcifically to being retired and then trying to tell people how it is in the labor force is my issue. Because that pisses me off because im in the labor force and its painful out here. so we are even on the pissing off for now. Razz [/quote]

Chrissy, your response is appreciated by me and, again, is deserving of a response. I documented some of my own hardships, sacrifices and difficulties and I did not mean to say my road of life was more difficult than others . . . . . I want to say to you I understand your own frustrations about the current stress of underemployment in our country and how it trickles down to each and every person. Life can be hard and is not fair in many respects but over the course of my own life there were political and economic crisis but our economy withstood exorbitant interest rates, cultural upheaval but we emerged intact. I posted previously that people are either glass half full or glass half empty and we each choose which road to take. So yes, it annoyed me to be portrayed as one who is sitting around without caring one whit about the stresses people like you are feeling . . . . to transfer those frustrations onto those of us whose lives are mostly behind us can understand more than you know just how hard life can be . . . the redeeming aspect is that you will survive because you are a strong person. I am no longer pissed at you personally but I stand up for people like me who have busted their butts for a lifetime and becoming a target by some as pathetic lazy takers is more than I am willing to hear without a civil rebuttal. Peace! cherry

knothead wrote:

Chrissy, your response is appreciated by me and, again, is deserving of a response. I documented some of my own hardships, sacrifices and difficulties and I did not mean to say my road of life was more difficult than others . . . . . I want to say to you I understand your own frustrations about the current stress of underemployment in our country and how it trickles down to each and every person. Life can be hard and is not fair in many respects but over the course of my own life there were political and economic crisis but our economy withstood exorbitant interest rates, cultural upheaval but we emerged intact. I posted previously that people are either glass half full or glass half empty and we each choose which road to take. So yes, it annoyed me to be portrayed as one who is sitting around without caring one whit about the stresses people like you are feeling . . . . to transfer those frustrations onto those of us whose lives are mostly behind us can understand more than you know just how hard life can be . . . the redeeming aspect is that you will survive because you are a strong person. I am no longer pissed at you personally but I stand up for people like me who have busted their butts for a lifetime and becoming a target by some as pathetic lazy takers is more than I am willing to hear without a civil rebuttal. Peace! cherry
[/quote]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

knot, i stand behind and support people who have worked all thier life and are retired more than you may realize. Perhaps I am guilty of just saying whats on the top of my mind at times without giving a clear explanation. my only point to my comment was people who are not in the workfource currently cant fully understand the atmosphere out here and yet they make comments based on what it was like back when. Not only do they make comments but they also get involved and do thier best to support policy that makes it even worse for us that are out here trying to make a living. This is frustrating to someone who is out here trying to get by.

you may not be aware of it, but ive defending babyboomers on here more than once. it angers me at how medicare has been raped only to expand coverage to so many people who if they tried could provide for themselves. Ive also made plenty of comments regarding that this new generation Y will not care for the old. Look around as these young adults have now entered into places of power and weilding thier political idealologies. This generation of people will sacrafice your ass and mine.

this group of people with thier idealogies and yes, it is thier idealogies that we are experiancing now. Im sorry but my gen X is too small and we are not as ruthless and technological savy as this generation, and they are selfish. Within the next 10 years my generation will have become but a blimp on the road as gen Y overtakes us and kicks us to the curb. by that time, you wont have to worry probaly. but my genration knows we wont have the same comfort to think about retirement, we already know we will work till we fall over dying.

so why did i say all this? because i dont want you to think I have a problem with your retire generation in concept, just that now that you have gotten to the point I feel strongly that some of you have unrealistic visions of how things are out here and interject old outdated ideas into a very new and real situation that effects people like myself who are trying to fend off the rapid and upcoming ideals that is going to crush us both.

have a good day.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum