Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

How are you positioned for sequestration?

+3
Sal
2seaoat
boards of FL
7 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

boards of FL

boards of FL

Clearly sequestration will happen. What's the plan?

boards of FL wrote:Clearly sequestration will happen. What's the plan?

Hand the mortgage company the keys to their new house since I won't be able to pay for it any more.

boards of FL

boards of FL

alecto wrote:

Hand the mortgage company the keys to their new house since I won't be able to pay for it any more.

Why won't you be able to pay your mortgage after sequestration?

boards of FL wrote:
alecto wrote:

That generally happens when you lose your job.

2seaoat

I am deeply sad. When intelligent people who have unlimited potential to make this country better.......lose their jobs.......we have lost our fricking minds. I pray that sanity will return in your life, but I am convinced with your talents that you will find your way to a better place........this is so unnecessary.

Sal

Sal

alecto wrote:
boards of FL wrote:
alecto wrote:

That's so fucked up.

You have my sympathy, and Mr. Oats couldn't be anymore correct when he says, "unnecessary".

The absurdity becomes obscene when it's personal.

2seaoat wrote:That generally happens when you lose your job.

I am deeply sad. When intelligent people who have unlimited potential to make this country better.......loose their jobs.......we have lost our fricking minds. I pray that sanity will return in your life, but I am convinced with your talents that you will find your way to a better place........this is so unnecessary.

The last 3 years has decimated us financially. I anticipated this happening so in I started looking for other jobs back in September ahead of the first time this was suppose to happen January 1st. What is sad is that 6 years ago I could send out resumes and have at least 7-10 job offers in 2 weeks. Since September, not ONE phone call, email, absolutely nothing. That is insane. In all honesty after the last three years being beat to hell and back I just don't give a fuck anymore. it is what it is.

knothead

knothead

alecto wrote:

I am deeply sad. When intelligent people who have unlimited potential to make this country better.......loose their jobs.......we have lost our fricking minds. I pray that sanity will return in your life, but I am convinced with your talents that you will find your way to a better place........this is so unnecessary.

The last 3 years has decimated us financially. I anticipated this happening so in I started looking for other jobs back in September ahead of the first time this was suppose to happen January 1st. What is sad is that 6 years ago I could send out resumes and have at least 7-10 job offers in 2 weeks. Since September, not ONE phone call, email, absolutely nothing. That is insane. In all honesty after the last three years being beat to hell and back I just don't give a fuck anymore. it is what it is.

alecto, I hope your prediction of losing your job becomes moot and does not materialize. You are a brilliant person with very specialized niche IT skills so I feel your pain and your apprehension . . . . . you gotta give a fuck though, don't let this beat you down. Hang in (please)!

2seaoat

Take it from somebody who has been beaten down in so many ways....health, finance, and the realization that the future may be a little more grim tomorrow than it was today.......it is important to keep a positive attitude. Not this put a smile on your face and be blind to reality, but positive in that your talents are needed in this country. Do not worry about what other people think when you are getting knocked down.....only worry about getting back up and being realistic about your assets and the situation you find yourself.

The insanity of your situation is that we are trying to deal with long term debt issues in the short term. It is simply crazy. I know post office floaters where almost 25% of post office employees are being laid off right now, because we are trying to fund retirement and health care over the next 75 years now. Now those folks and the other 750k who are hitting the street are going to make your recovery even more insane. Your skills are still in demand. You are going to have to look outside the box. Look into private sector areas nationwide which can use your IT background, and do not hang your head about these bad cards, but think about how you can help people with your skills. If you lose everything, you can file BK and get a fresh start.....take a hot shower in the morning......and not go hungry. I am pissed. These knuckleheads talk theory and dogma, but I have to see people hurt every day. Each of us have to give a shit about our fellow man, and we need to fix this mess......because if we do not fight for your future.......next week....there will be nobody there for the rest of us. Get online and give 150% effort and do not give up......and do not limit your geography and field......I have seen too many people get knocked down only to get a great new career and financial and personal rewards beyond their imagination. You are a winner. You have proved it here. Now go prove it to your new employer.

knothead

knothead

2seaoat wrote:Take it from somebody who has been beaten down in so many ways....health, finance, and the realization that the future may be a little more grim tomorrow than it was today.......it is important to keep a positive attitude. Not this put a smile on your face and be blind to reality, but positive in that your talents are needed in this country. Do not worry about what other people think when you are getting knocked down.....only worry about getting back up and being realistic about your assets and the situation you find yourself.

The insanity of your situation is that we are trying to deal with long term debt issues in the short term. It is simply crazy. I know post office floaters where almost 25% of post office employees are being laid off right now, because we are trying to fund retirement and health care over the next 75 years now. Now those folks and the other 750k who are hitting the street are going to make your recovery even more insane. Your skills are still in demand. You are going to have to look outside the box. Look into private sector areas nationwide which can use your IT background, and do not hang your head about these bad cards, but think about how you can help people with your skills. If you lose everything, you can file BK and get a fresh start.....take a hot shower in the morning......and not go hungry. I am pissed. These knuckleheads talk theory and dogma, but I have to see people hurt every day. Each of us have to give a shit about our fellow man, and we need to fix this mess......because if we do not fight for your future.......next week....there will be nobody there for the rest of us. Get online and give 150% effort and do not give up......and do not limit your geography and field......I have seen too many people get knocked down only to get a great new career and financial and personal rewards beyond their imagination. You are a winner. You have proved it here. Now go prove it to your new employer.

Well said Mr. Oats . . . . give out but NEVER give up!

boards of FL

boards of FL

alecto wrote:
boards of FL wrote:
alecto wrote:

alecto, will you lose your job as a result of sequestration?

boards of FL

boards of FL

Forgive me, I didn't read through before I posted.

Sal

Sal

I read this earlier today.

You can cut the cognitive dissonance with a knife.

At some point, we're going to have to realize that we are all in the same boat.

Whether you like dirty hippies or not, we are all occupiers now.

“All these other countries are laughing at us now. These [expletives] can’t pass a budget. Is the world split that much 50-50?” asked Somers, a crane operator who came to the shipyard a year ago after being laid off at an oil refinery. “I don’t understand. We got to build these ships” and maintain them, he added, or American power will “sit and rot.”

In the smoky bar, ideological lines get blurred. Somers is a union guy but not an Obama fan. He wants cash to keep flowing to the large military contractor that employs him, but he opposed the auto bailout. He needs Washington but feels manipulated by it.

“They spend our money like a drunk sailor. . . . ‘We’ll give you a little bit of something, a little piece of cheese.’ Dangle that cheese. We’re pawns, that’s what we are,” he said.

But Somers has four kids and ultimately, he said: “I’m willing to accept anything to turn the country around. If it takes me getting laid off, so be it.”

http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/in-newport-news-shipyard-looming-budget-cuts-create-anxiety-and-anger/2013/02/25/281eb25c-7f51-11e2-b99e-6baf4ebe42df_story_1.html

2seaoat

Well said Mr. Oats . . . . give out but NEVER give up!

We all know he is a winner with enormous talent, and all across this country qualified and talented people are being thrown to the wolves by political games. We need long term strategy and sacrifice in this country, but it does not have to be immediate and foolish. If Mr. A was the only person I saw today who is getting slammed maybe I could keep my composure, but this is self inflicted stupidity, and I am getting back on my email to congressmen and tell them what I think......I reamed out the congressman from Biloxi and he went to NJ and changed his vote....I am not saying I was responsible, but every person on this form knows the big S is not the answer.......each of us have to get involved.....write the email. Mr. A is going to be fine....he is intelligent, trained, and a winner, but all of this is so unnecessary. Our nation's apathy and lack of concern for our fellow citizens has turned us all into indentured servants......I am completely pissed.

boards of FL

boards of FL

alecto wrote:

In what field do you work?

2seaoat

He works It with a deep resume and wide range of experience. I have tested his knowledge and it is simply dead cinch perfect. He knows what he is talking about and five years ago headhunters would be lining up to get his skills, but when this nation's leaders throw this wealth of talent into the gutter and expect this nation to be competitive or even relevant......they simply do not get it. At the very time these type of talented individuals should be rewarded, we will allow the Chinese and Indians to absolutely dominate computer skills in the world market.......we have gone fricking brain dead.

Sal

Sal

2seaoat wrote: At the very time these type of talented individuals should be rewarded, we will allow the Chinese and Indians to absolutely dominate

Welcome to the party ...

... we were just getting ready to turn out the lights.

2seaoat

Hell no we are not turning off the lights. Each of us know this is wrong. A simple email to congressmen make a difference. We need to quit dividing ourselves into different groups and start giving a crap about Americans and American jobs. I drive by a bearing plant which employed 1000 people and shipped bearings all over the world.....and they outsourced the jobs, tore down the plant, and are going to expand an outlet mall with foreign products. The Germans cherish their workers and train them to succeed. They subsidize their manufacturing and cherish jobs.........we throw 750 k people on the street and think that makes economic sense. We have polarized our politics and quit giving a crap about Americans.....these folks who are finding the street are our family......and we simply cannot tolerate fat and comfortable apathy......write the letter.

Sal

Sal

2seaoat wrote:Hell no we are not turning off the lights. Each of us know this is wrong. A simple email to congressmen make a difference.

Bullshit.

We need to quit dividing ourselves into different groups and start giving a crap about Americans and American jobs. I drive by a bearing plant which employed 1000 people and shipped bearings all over the world.....and they outsourced the jobs, tore down the plant, and are going to expand an outlet mall with foreign products. The Germans cherish their workers and train them to succeed. They subsidize their manufacturing and cherish jobs.........we throw 750 k people on the street and think that makes economic sense. We have polarized our politics and quit giving a crap about Americans.....these folks who are finding the street are our family......and we simply cannot tolerate fat and comfortable apathy......write the letter.

Fuck letters.

Occupy.

Or burn the motherfucker down.

knothead

knothead

boards of FL wrote:
alecto wrote:

Bds,
I'm not answering for Mr. A but I do know that he is a genuine IT developer, as in the real deal . . . . . his knowledge and talent are amazing. He has answered forum members questions regarding complex analysis of computer platforms and he would reply in complete detail the pro and cons . . . . . I hate so much people like him are getting caught in the political embarrassment our nation is enduring . . . . . an absolute shame.

Put me in the column with Mr. Oats . . . . . . . I am so pissed!

Last edited by knothead on 2/28/2013, 1:09 am; edited 1 time in total

2seaoat

Fuck letters.

Occupy.

Then T's world will become a reality.....no we need to each get out of our comfortable cocoons and get involved not with party politics, but making sure our neighbors are ok, our communities, our states, and our nation........if you want to burn something down who am I to tell you it will not work, but I personally think Americans are good and I believe they are pissed.......we have had silly nonsense political battles......a million people being put out on the street is self inflicted, and hateful. I think the letters will work, but at some point I really do not have a whole lot at risk.....and maybe even I will throw a tantrum and do something stupid......but isn't stupid what got us here?

Sal

Sal

2seaoat wrote:Fuck letters.

Occupy.

Then T's world will become a reality.....no we need to each get out of our comfortable cocoons and get involved not with party politics, but making sure our neighbors are ok, our communities, our states, and our nation........if you want to burn something down who am I to tell you it will not work, but I personally think Americans are good and I believe they are pissed.......we have had silly nonsense political battles......a million people being put out on the street is self inflicted, and hateful. I think the letters will work, but at some point I really do not have a whole lot at risk.....and maybe even I will throw a tantrum and do something stupid......but isn't stupid what got us here?

Occupy is the plan.

We just have to get the FAUX News crowd on board.

The burn the motherfucker down plan is the back-up plan.

I'm stockpiling gasoline and matches.

Sal wrote:
Fuck letters.

Occupy.

How are you positioned for sequestration? Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSNf9-7h7GbR2MYaXPu4O_0zorDgVQ7EN5PfvmrxPHR5hxrKkEI6Q

Fucking idiot.

*****CHUCKLE*****

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gn3Zkna_ZY

Twisted Evil

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

Damaged Eagle wrote:
Sal wrote:
Fuck letters.

Occupy.

How are you positioned for sequestration? Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSNf9-7h7GbR2MYaXPu4O_0zorDgVQ7EN5PfvmrxPHR5hxrKkEI6Q

Fucking idiot.

*****CHUCKLE*****

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gn3Zkna_ZY

Twisted Evil

Why don't you take your lame perverted ass and go slop the hogs?

Nekochan

Nekochan

Alecto, please don't give up. America needs you to not give up. I mean that. If people like you give up, we are all just doomed. I agree with what Seaoat says about not limiting your options.

I know nothing about IT or computers. I am just glad that some really smart people have made it possible for me to be here online. But what Seaoat says about looking at all types of job areas, including in the private sector, hits true with me. If you have to pick up your family and move 2000+ miles from where you're at....consider doing it. My husband has always said that a lot of people could find a job if they don't limit themselves to the area where they live. I know that we've moved plenty of times for hubby's work.

My son joined the Army out of high school. I wanted him to go to college, but he had no interest in that. He's a smart kid so the Army put him in military intelligence and sent him to some kind of Army IT/Computer school. I don't really know what he did in the Army because it was secret. He did tell us that he worked with the NSA at one of his duty stations. After 7 years in the Army, he was ready to get out. This was around 2-2 1/2 years ago and his dad and I had concerns about him finding a job in this economy. But he was at the point where he either needed to get out or plan on making the Army a career. So he got out of the Army and his first job was a contract job with Acosta. His dad and I were thrilled that he HAD a job. It was an ok job but when that contract ran out, he took another contract job with a major investment firm. When he was interviewed for that 2nd job, the interviewer (now his boss) asked him if he would ever cry if he was having a bad day. He told my son that the last two contractors had walked away from the job and that the last person who held the job ran out crying and didn't come back. My son replied something like this--'No sir, I will never cry. I was at times under stressful situations in the Army but I always worked to complete the job." So he was hired as a contractor with the company. I cannot tell you his job title because he told me and I forgot. But the company he works for is a large, international investment firm and they do stock trades and such as that. And when there is a problem in the computer system as these trades are going on around the world, my son fixes it. He told me that it's a high stress job but he likes it. A couple of months after he got the contract job with the investment firm, he came up to see us. While he was here, he received several phone calls from some headhunter or such telling him that various companies (General Dynamics, Boeing, etc) wanted to talk to him. So his dad and I would say to him--"Son, aren't you going to talk to General Dynamics? " "NO", our son told us-- "I like my job and I think they're going to offer me a regular employment position with the company." His dad and I were concerned about his future employment situation, to say the least. He didn't even want to talk to the defense contract companies and we felt that he could at least talk to them to see what they were offering. But we didn't press him on it too much. We bit our tongues and didn't criticize him or question his job hunting methods. A few months later, the company did offer him a full time permanent position at a very respectable salary with benefits and all that. This was around a year ago. Now during this time and since then, this same company has laid off thousands of people. But our son has told us that he doesn't think his job is in immediate danger, at least not at this time. But of course today, there is no such thing as a secure job. Not with the company he works for or with General Dynamics or anyone. That is today's world and I don't think we're ever going back to where most people will work for the same company for 40 years. So anyway, now looking back to a year or so ago, his dad and I thought that he should be looking at government jobs and defense type jobs. But our son went a different route than what his experience in the Army had been and he's happy with his job. He told me, not long after he started working at this job, that he has a difficult time speaking out and taking credit for something good that he's done. And that when he was in the Army other people often got credit for work that he had done. My son is the quiet type and he is not so good at speaking up for himself when he's done a good job. In the Army, there was always someone who didn't mind taking credit, whether they deserved it or not. But he says at his job now, when he does something right, he gets the credit. Of course if he screws something up, he has to take responsibility for that too, but he is ok with that. So now I'm looking at my son's situation and if he had taken one of those contract jobs with General Dynamics or someplace, he might be out of a job now. So he was right in the choice he made.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum