Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Why is our government broke?

+4
2seaoat
Hospital Bob
cool1
gulfbeachbandit
8 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Why is our government broke? Empty Why is our government broke? 2/26/2013, 10:06 am

gulfbeachbandit

gulfbeachbandit

Here's one reason.

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/02/26/17097655-grocer-gets-25-year-sentence-for-844000-food-stamp-fraud?lite=

2Why is our government broke? Empty Re: Why is our government broke? 2/26/2013, 12:30 pm

cool1

cool1

That makes me sick Evil or Very Mad

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Ghandi wrote:Here's one reason.

Yes, I agree, that is ONE reason for sure.

And here's ANOTHER reason...

http://www.progress.org/banneker/cw.html

Ya see Bob... it works the same way foreign aid does... money is supposed to buy influence and control.

At least that was the original premise... along with price control and regulation. Just don't look behind the curtain.

Why is our government broke? Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSge5CXFtX0F6i0oTBPjrQvBqW1VGdi3ZpvkfeDk6AVOvLvjrUcxQ

One of the reasons for the Great Depression, and why it lasted so long, was the excessive corruption in government and business.

*****SMILE*****

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWqKPWO5T4o

Smile

2seaoat

A three dollar a day benefit to survive.......and that is why we are broke. You go to the store and survive on three bucks a day and not look like a blimp as you eat nasty carbs and very little fresh fruit and protein.........the abuse is out there, but the vast majority of folks are just getting by and made to feel bad about their survival...........I have lived in a culture where people go to bed hungry......I went from 210 to 170 in five months and had to give up......we Americans have become soft, and we are damn lucky to have a food stamp program, and we need to prosecute the abusers, but have compassion for those who have no choice. Hungry......real hunger....there is no reason anybody in America has to go to bed hungry, but can we improve the system.....you bet we can.....but not by demeaning those who legitimately are in need, or by allowing people to cheat.

As a freshman in college I sometimes lived for days and once over a week on oatmeal. I couldn't even afford salt... forget the brown sugar or butter or milk. Do you know how bad oatmeal tastes without that pinch of salt?

2seaoat

Do you know how bad oatmeal tastes without that pinch of salt?

Yep......I am getting really tired of oatmeal with this damn disease. I have found a pleasant surprise. Go to Mac and order their $1.99 oatmeal. The fresh fruit they put in is very good and the flavoring is as good as I have tasted. My hormones attack my large intestine, so oatmeal is soothing and tolerable......but after so many days.......it is really.....really painful to swallow.

2seaoat wrote:A three dollar a day benefit to survive.......and that is why we are broke. You go to the store and survive on three bucks a day and not look like a blimp as you eat nasty carbs and very little fresh fruit and protein.........the abuse is out there, but the vast majority of folks are just getting by and made to feel bad about their survival...........I have lived in a culture where people go to bed hungry......I went from 210 to 170 in five months and had to give up......we Americans have become soft, and we are damn lucky to have a food stamp program, and we need to prosecute the abusers, but have compassion for those who have no choice. Hungry......real hunger....there is no reason anybody in America has to go to bed hungry, but can we improve the system.....you bet we can.....but not by demeaning those who legitimately are in need, or by allowing people to cheat.

Why is our government broke? Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSXPfu4_TG3o-TXO_9XY28EXB6lmHcxadT-KahC8k-0HACCuB15

A can of Chunky Soup costs about a dollar and is more than a lot of people in the world see in days.

Perhaps instead of a food stamp program we should just have the poor pick up a can of soup at the DHS (Department of Human Services) they utilize every day.

*****SMILE*****

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQzUCO7rG0M

Smile

10Why is our government broke? Empty Re: Why is our government broke? 2/28/2013, 8:56 pm

stormwatch89

stormwatch89

PkrBum wrote:As a freshman in college I sometimes lived for days and once over a week on oatmeal. I couldn't even afford salt... forget the brown sugar or butter or milk. Do you know how bad oatmeal tastes without that pinch of salt?

Yep, I lived on ketchup sandwiches and eventually got a job at McDonalds at night for the free "take home".

Brats.

11Why is our government broke? Empty Re: Why is our government broke? 2/28/2013, 9:40 pm

The guy at the Farmer's Market on Davis was doing the same thing-him and his son but they got caught.

12Why is our government broke? Empty Re: Why is our government broke? 2/28/2013, 9:52 pm

knothead

knothead

PkrBum wrote:As a freshman in college I sometimes lived for days and once over a week on oatmeal. I couldn't even afford salt... forget the brown sugar or butter or milk. Do you know how bad oatmeal tastes without that pinch of salt?

pkr, your post reminded me of my own college years and surviving on very little. I have vivid memories of eating a "TV" dinner, Mexican with something reddish (enchilada), rice, beans and it cost $.28 and it filled me just fine. So I relate to your oatmeal diet . . . .

13Why is our government broke? Empty Re: Why is our government broke? 2/28/2013, 10:55 pm

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

I made 40 dozen tamales w/ my future MIL and stashed a few dozen at the local market's meat locker. Heaven! Also had Pizza Hut pizza bucks. But food wasn't a real problem...just go fishing or bring home a deer and leave the whole thing on the kitchen counter, like a friend of mine did. Oh, and I almost forgot about the MEXICAN FOOD...there was one place where everyone went...cheap and really good, or the local drive-in, like Jerry's back in the day. I always had a job...wasn't going to starve. Good ol' days.

2seaoat wrote: Do you know how bad oatmeal tastes without that pinch of salt?

Yep......I am getting really tired of oatmeal with this damn disease. I have found a pleasant surprise. Go to Mac and order their $1.99 oatmeal. The fresh fruit they put in is very good and the flavoring is as good as I have tasted. My hormones attack my large intestine, so oatmeal is soothing and tolerable......but after so many days.......it is really.....really painful to swallow.

Yep that oatmeal at McDonalds is great.

I worked at Winn Dixie on Lillian HWY and Fairfield Dr back in the day. I was a poor college student. I worked in the Seafood Dept and I can remember the manager always making sure I had something to eat because that $3.75 per hour wasn't going that far.

16Why is our government broke? Empty Re: Why is our government broke? 3/1/2013, 12:12 pm

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Some of the comments in this thread make those onion sandwiches the cruise passengers were living off of look like a gourmet feast.

17Why is our government broke? Empty Re: Why is our government broke? 3/1/2013, 12:22 pm

Bob wrote:Some of the comments in this thread make those onion sandwiches the cruise passengers were living off of look like a gourmet feast.

As you know, I do all of our shopping and 98% of the cooking. We keep a small legal pad on our kitchen counter to make our grocery list and we each add to it etc.

Last week when I got up to make coffee, the list was beside the coffee maker.

It read:

Bread....Water.

I paused and thought to myself....has it really come down to that...?

Markle

Markle

2seaoat wrote: Do you know how bad oatmeal tastes without that pinch of salt?

One of my fondest memories of my childhood growing up in Chicago was eating dinner, of oatmeal, milk, butter and sugar for dinner with my Grandfather. For ME it was just one of the best things I knew. This would have been in the very early 50's. My Grandmother fixed a big pot of it on a double boiler. Unknown to me, my Grandfather had ulcers and when it acted up oatmeal was one of the few foods he could eat.

I don't use the double boiler now but I cut up a banana and cook it in the oatmeal, then top with the butter still, some milk and fresh strawberries. To this day, over 60 years later I can't eat oatmeal without thinking about my "Granpop".

Thanks for the nostalgic reminder.

Markle

Markle

Bob wrote:

Nuff said.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Markle wrote:
Bob wrote:

Nuff said.

Nah, not really. Because if that is "nuff said" then you have to dismiss Fox News too...

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2012/06/11/why-are-republicans-supporting-welfare-for-rich/

But I know, markle, the very idea that anybody except the dirt poor are receiving government welfare is just not something which will ever compute for you. lol

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum