Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Last Pensacola K-Mart

4 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Last Pensacola K-Mart Empty Last Pensacola K-Mart 2/19/2013, 8:57 pm

The last of the K-Marts located in Pensacola located on Nine Mile Rd is scheduled to close in May. They will start their closing sale on March 3rd.

2Last Pensacola K-Mart Empty Re: Last Pensacola K-Mart 2/19/2013, 9:05 pm

They didn't change w/ the times. They had very poor customer service.

3Last Pensacola K-Mart Empty Re: Last Pensacola K-Mart 2/20/2013, 9:57 am

Dreamsglore wrote:They didn't change w/ the times. They had very poor customer service.

I guess the powers that be thought all that would change when they merged with Sears and both Sears and K-Mart fell under the umbrella of Sears Holding Corp.

Has anyone heard any news about the Milton K-Mart?

4Last Pensacola K-Mart Empty Re: Last Pensacola K-Mart 2/20/2013, 11:21 am

I have a feeling that Sears is not going to be too far behind K-Mart. The last couple of time I visited Sears the ratio between employees and customers was about 3:1.

5Last Pensacola K-Mart Empty Re: Last Pensacola K-Mart 2/20/2013, 11:29 am

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

This is a major tragedy for me. Not long ago I discovered that K-Mart pharmacies have their have their own "drug plan". I payed ten bucks annual fee to join and then I got two of my medications from them for a fraction of what it would cost me anywhere else. And now the sons of bitches are closing on me.
Damn.

6Last Pensacola K-Mart Empty Re: Last Pensacola K-Mart 2/20/2013, 11:38 am

Architeuthis wrote:I have a feeling that Sears is not going to be too far behind K-Mart. The last couple of time I visited Sears the ratio between employees and customers was about 3:1.

I would really hate to see that since I buy all my tools from Sears. Craftsman may not be the best of the rest, but their warrant is next to none.

7Last Pensacola K-Mart Empty Re: Last Pensacola K-Mart 2/20/2013, 11:50 am

Ghost_Rider1 wrote:
I would really hate to see that since I buy all my tools from Sears. Craftsman may not be the best of the rest, but their warrant is next to none.

I can't argue here. I have a Craftsman electric edger that I had buy a new blade for last Summer. I had to call the Sears Parts number to find a match since they didn't have it at the local store. The guy I spoke with told me that my model edger was discontinued in 1989, (but they did have a replacement blade.) Darn thing still works like a gem!

8Last Pensacola K-Mart Empty Re: Last Pensacola K-Mart 2/20/2013, 12:02 pm

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

When Sears disappears we will lose one of the truly great icons of our past.

9Last Pensacola K-Mart Empty Re: Last Pensacola K-Mart 2/20/2013, 12:08 pm

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

There was a time in our long ago past when half the households in America had one of these with a Sears and Roebuck catalog in it.

Last Pensacola K-Mart Sears2

And when we weren't using it for that we were using it to buy anything and everything up to and including a whole fricking house. And all of it made in our own country no less.

Last Pensacola K-Mart House10

10Last Pensacola K-Mart Empty Re: Last Pensacola K-Mart 2/20/2013, 12:13 pm

Bob wrote:There was a time in our long ago past when half the households in America had one of these with a Sears and Roebuck catalog in it.

I still have the last issue of the printed catalog. It may not be worth much but it is a reminder of times gone by.

11Last Pensacola K-Mart Empty Re: Last Pensacola K-Mart 2/20/2013, 12:21 pm

Architeuthis wrote:
Bob wrote:There was a time in our long ago past when half the households in America had one of these with a Sears and Roebuck catalog in it.

I still have the last issue of the printed catalog. It may not be worth much but it is a reminder of times gone by.

If it is in good shape, it may be worth more than you think it may be. Remember the old adage, "One man's junk is another man's treasure." Just for shits and grins I would have it appraised.

12Last Pensacola K-Mart Empty Re: Last Pensacola K-Mart 2/20/2013, 12:23 pm

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

I remember as a kid in the late 50's taking the bus downtown to see the Saturday matinees. When we left the Saenger we would always go to the Walgreens soda fountain across the street. And then would always go to the end of the block and go in the Sears store on Palafox (was it the corner of Romana or Intendencia I can't remember).
What a trip it was as a kid to see all the wondrous sights inside that store.
Probably the best times of my life.

Last edited by Bob on 2/20/2013, 12:26 pm; edited 1 time in total

13Last Pensacola K-Mart Empty Re: Last Pensacola K-Mart 2/20/2013, 12:24 pm

Sal

Sal

When he returned from Europe after WWII, my great-uncle took a salesman job at Sears.

He worked there for thirty-five years or so.

He built a nice house, raised a family, and retired comfortably on that salary.

Hard to believe.

14Last Pensacola K-Mart Empty Re: Last Pensacola K-Mart 2/20/2013, 12:37 pm

A bit off topic, but speaking of getting items appraised. Not being a coin collector and knowing nothing about coins. I found a penny about 15 years ago and never thought anything about it. It just sat around my house collecting dust. One day on a whim, I decided to have it looked at and appraised. I cleaned it up a bit and took it to a coin shop. The owners jaw dropped when he saw it.

Turns out it was a 1943 Cooper Penny. Since it was minted during the civil was most pennies of that era were made of steel and zinc since cooper was used to build war materials. After all was said and done, he told me that to the right collector I could be looking at 50K or more. I am still holding on to the penny.

15Last Pensacola K-Mart Empty Re: Last Pensacola K-Mart 2/20/2013, 12:58 pm

Ghost_Rider1 wrote:A bit off topic, but speaking of getting items appraised. Not being a coin collector and knowing nothing about coins. I found a penny about 15 years ago and never thought anything about it. It just sat around my house collecting dust. One day on a whim, I decided to have it looked at and appraised. I cleaned it up a bit and took it to a coin shop. The owners jaw dropped when he saw it.

Turns out it was a 1943 Cooper Penny. Since it was minted during the civil was most pennies of that era were made of steel and zinc since cooper was used to build war materials. After all was said and done, he told me that to the right collector I could be looking at 50K or more. I am still holding on to the penny.

OK. Now you have me thinking. While Downtown many years ago I saw a coin in a parking lot. I picked it up, stuck it in my pocket and didn't look at it until I was home. It was only a penny but upon closer investigation I discovered it was dated 1857. It was minted 100 years before I was born. It might be worth something.

16Last Pensacola K-Mart Empty Re: Last Pensacola K-Mart 2/20/2013, 1:06 pm

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Architeuthis wrote: I cleaned it up a bit

Whatever you do don't "clean it up" anymore (and that goes for all collectible coins). Unless you're using the most delicate methods the coin collectors use, you run the risk of damaging the coin's value. It's really no different than trying to "clean up" a valuable painting.

17Last Pensacola K-Mart Empty Re: Last Pensacola K-Mart 2/20/2013, 1:14 pm

Bob wrote:
Architeuthis wrote: I cleaned it up a bit

Whatever you do don't "clean it up" anymore (and that goes for all collectible coins). Unless you're using the most delicate methods the coin collectors use, you run the risk of damaging the coin's value. It's really no different than trying to "clean up" a valuable painting.

Maybe I misled a bit. My clean up consisted of nothing more than just getting as much dirt as I possible could off it, not using any harsh cleaners or anything like that.

18Last Pensacola K-Mart Empty Re: Last Pensacola K-Mart 2/20/2013, 2:11 pm

Sal

Sal

Ghost_Rider1 wrote:A bit off topic, but speaking of getting items appraised. Not being a coin collector and knowing nothing about coins. I found a penny about 15 years ago and never thought anything about it. It just sat around my house collecting dust. One day on a whim, I decided to have it looked at and appraised. I cleaned it up a bit and took it to a coin shop. The owners jaw dropped when he saw it.

Hey Ghost, did that dealer put your coin to a magnet?

My understanding is that people have been known to paint a copper finish on the common steel pennies to try to pass them off as the rare coin.

19Last Pensacola K-Mart Empty Re: Last Pensacola K-Mart 2/20/2013, 2:17 pm

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

We just bought a new refrigerator at Sears and I was very impressed with the professionalism of the salesperson. You won't see that if you buy one from HHGreg or Best Buy.

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

20Last Pensacola K-Mart Empty Re: Last Pensacola K-Mart 2/20/2013, 2:25 pm

Sal wrote:

My understanding is that people have been known to paint a copper finish on the common steel pennies to try to pass them off as the rare coin.

That was the very first thing that he did. He told me the same thing about how people will try and present a fraudulent cooper penny by coating them with a cooper finish. He also said that some people will take a 1948 penny and cut off the left side of the 8 to make it appear as a 3.

21Last Pensacola K-Mart Empty Re: Last Pensacola K-Mart 2/20/2013, 2:30 pm

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Value: As a rough estimate of this coins value you can assume this coin in poor condition will be valued at somewhere around $60,047, while one in "perfect" condition can bring $85,782.

http://cointrackers.com/coins/13594/1943-copper-wheat-penny/

You hit the lottery with that one! That's what pickers call a "grand slam home run". lol

22Last Pensacola K-Mart Empty Re: Last Pensacola K-Mart 2/20/2013, 2:35 pm

Sal

Sal

Ghost_Rider1 wrote:
Sal wrote:

That was the very first thing that he did. He told me the same thing about how people will try and present a fraudulent cooper penny by coating them with a cooper finish. He also said that some people will take a 1948 penny and cut off the left side of the 8 to make it appear as a 3.

Wow.

You've really got something there.

I think it's estimated that there are 15 or less of those coins in existence.

Congratulations!

23Last Pensacola K-Mart Empty Re: Last Pensacola K-Mart 2/20/2013, 2:45 pm

ZVUGKTUBM wrote:We just bought a new refrigerator at Sears and I was very impressed with the professionalism of the salesperson. You won't see that if you buy one from HHGreg or Best Buy.

Best Buy pulls some good ones.

My parents went to Best Buy several years ago to buy a TV. They found the make and model they liked, paid for it and was told by the sales person that it was in stock and would be delivered the next day by noon.

They called the next morning to confirm the delivery and verified that Best Buy had the correct contact number. Everything was good to go per the Best Buy representative on the phone.

Toward the late afternoon after the TV was not delivered a call was made to Best Buy asking why it had not been delivered. My parents were told that the TV was not in stock and would be in and delivered in about two weeks.

Needless to say this was not what they were told when then purchased the TV nor when they called and confirmed the delivery time. They promptly cancelled the order.

24Last Pensacola K-Mart Empty Re: Last Pensacola K-Mart 2/20/2013, 3:44 pm

VectorMan

VectorMan

When I was a kid my Mom worked at Sears in the catalog sales dept. We always got to go to the store in downtown Norfolk, Virginia. It was a treat every time. My Mom got her employee discount, which was great, but my 3 brothers and I really looked forward to the new Sears Christmas Wish Book. Those were the days.

Last Pensacola K-Mart Sears-Christmas-Book-1970

Last Pensacola K-Mart 1966_SearsChristmas_Page510

I wish I'd have kept all my GI Joe crap.

25Last Pensacola K-Mart Empty Re: Last Pensacola K-Mart 2/20/2013, 4:14 pm

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

VectorMan wrote:

I wish I'd have kept all my GI Joe crap.

You'll have to be logged into eBay to see this...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1960s-VINTAGE-12-GI-JOE-ADVENTURE-PACK-NAVY-SCUBA-IN-ORIGINAL-BOX-SEALED-/111006138829?pt=US_Action_Figures&hash=item19d87b41cd

But remember, if you and a lot more people had kept it, it would not now have the value it does. It's only valuable because so many threw it out which creates the scarcity required to give it value. So you did your part too. lol

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum