Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Gated communities

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Gated communities Empty Gated communities 2/11/2013, 8:29 pm

2seaoat

I am visiting my brother in Az. He lives in an exclusive gated community called Desert Mountain. The houses sit on the side of a mountain, and the higher you go up the mountain, the more expensive the lots become. I looked out his window to the home of the lady who had written the twilight series of books which have been converted into a very popular and profitable movie franchise.

We had to stop at the maingate. We were questioned by a security person, and after three or four minutes we were able to enter. We then come to his particular enclave of houses, and there was another security gate where you had to enter a code to get into that road system. I finally got to my brothers house and he had a gate installed at the street on his 500 foot driveway. His house is 13k square feet and has an elevator and a beautiful pool which transcends into a waterfall as you drive up his driveway. He has a guest house.

He built the house with his son, and he has been a very successful contractor. I know the challenge of building this home was what kept him going for 6 years, but now when it is finished, he finds out he also has cancer and his prostate was taken out two weeks ago. As I sit with him and discuss life, grandchildren, and the future, I simply ask him does he plan to stay in this house. He immediately tells me that since he has been sick he has reevaluated his choices......I was please to hear this wisdom. As William Blake wrote two centuries ago.....the road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom.....I think this nation has to look at our values and how the income disparity of this country has led us somewhere that none of us recognize. I look at this beautiful natural mountain and wonder where our values have gone........this nation must find wisdom from our mistakes, and we must understand that living high on the mountain makes little differnce in the end, but that when the least among us go without......well that will be how we will be judged.

2Gated communities Empty Re: Gated communities 2/11/2013, 8:49 pm

If no one gets rich, how will our economy function?

and biblically speaking the lord did not care for lazyness and he spoke specifically about fools.

what about job? job was very wealthy, the lord loved job, fav if I remmeber correctly. job had to loose everything because the devil challenged god to prove if job was faithful even poor. and he was.

reading a couple of peoples post on here makes me thing some people want a world where everyone works and they all get the same rewards given to them, as in an alotment. This is simply what comes to my mind when I see all this talk.

3Gated communities Empty Re: Gated communities 2/11/2013, 8:58 pm

knothead

knothead

Chrissy wrote:If no one gets rich, how will our economy function?

and biblically speaking the lord did not care for lazyness and he spoke specifically about fools.

what about job? job was very wealthy, the lord loved job, fav if I remmeber correctly. job had to loose everything because the devil challenged god to prove if job was faithful even poor. and he was.

reading a couple of peoples post on here makes me thing some people want a world where everyone works and they all get the same rewards given to them, as in an alotment. This is simply what comes to my mind when I see all this talk.

Not being critical but I think you are missing the point Mr. Oats has made here.

4Gated communities Empty Re: Gated communities 2/11/2013, 9:14 pm

knothead wrote:

Not being critical but I think you are missing the point Mr. Oats has made here.

Its possible Im missing the point. I can only give my interpretation going from the long story about living on a mountain to those less fortunate going without.

charity also comes to mind in these instances, because wealthy people even middle class people give a lot to charity.

so maybe i do not know what he is getting at. But the thought reminded me of what kind of world would it be if there were no wealthy people? Could 7 billion people toil the ground and run the mills etc and devide the booty up equally amongst all with out some sort of huge gov intervention?

reminds me of that sweet john lennon song that I always thought would never work and wouldnt want it to. like the song though

5Gated communities Empty Re: Gated communities 2/12/2013, 12:39 am

knothead wrote:

I know,right? Sometimes I wonder how the world got so effed up.

6Gated communities Empty Re: Gated communities 2/12/2013, 12:45 am

2seaoat wrote:I am visiting my brother in Az. He lives in an exclusive gated community called Desert Mountain. The houses sit on the side of a mountain, and the higher you go up the mountain, the more expensive the lots become. I looked out his window to the home of the lady who had written the twilight series of books which have been converted into a very popular and profitable movie franchise.

We had to stop at the maingate. We were questioned by a security person, and after three or four minutes we were able to enter. We then come to his particular enclave of houses, and there was another security gate where you had to enter a code to get into that road system. I finally got to my brothers house and he had a gate installed at the street on his 500 foot driveway. His house is 13k square feet and has an elevator and a beautiful pool which transcends into a waterfall as you drive up his driveway. He has a guest house.

He built the house with his son, and he has been a very successful contractor. I know the challenge of building this home was what kept him going for 6 years, but now when it is finished, he finds out he also has cancer and his prostate was taken out two weeks ago. As I sit with him and discuss life, grandchildren, and the future, I simply ask him does he plan to stay in this house. He immediately tells me that since he has been sick he has reevaluated his choices......I was please to hear this wisdom. As William Blake wrote two centuries ago.....the road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom.....I think this nation has to look at our values and how the income disparity of this country has led us somewhere that none of us recognize. I look at this beautiful natural mountain and wonder where our values have gone........this nation must find wisdom from our mistakes, and we must understand that living high on the mountain makes little differnce in the end, but that when the least among us go without......well that will be how we will be judged.

People don't want to hear that,Seaoat until they're faced w/ what you are facing.Then they say"what the hell was I thinking? What does any of this matter?" And it doesn't-not at all.

7Gated communities Empty Re: Gated communities 2/12/2013, 3:42 am

I wish I could afford to move my family out of the place we are living. My wife bought her house just weeks before Ivan for 89k. She did get a 15k first time home buyer credit and it takes off that much for staying in it 5 years. Last appraisal was about 55 and the neighbor down the street just sold her house for about the same. We have seven empty homes on our street now. Empty homes attract ne'erdowells (meth, crack rock folks etc). Kids are now starting to congregate here and there looking for a place to party. Fortunately, we've been able to run off some due to the employment we both have. People are selling for less than 55-57k on houses that were 90k before 2006. It's getting close to the point where we might just get some land and a trailer further out into the county and let this house go because the neighborhood is going to hell in a handbasket fast. We don't send our youngest to public schools already because of the neighborhood. Elementary kids around the area are already involved in the DJJ system to go along with the myriad of pervs that the FDLE says live within a mile radius.
Seaoat,
He can trade with me any day.

8Gated communities Empty Re: Gated communities 2/12/2013, 9:57 am

2seaoat

Seaoat,

nope, You are facing what 90% of Americans are facing. You did nothing wrong and the banksters and wall street packaged and bundled crap which exploded the housing bubble which will remain tattered for a few more years. Keep it simple. Do not get addicted to the thought that spending more money and acquiring more things is a path to happiness. Get involved in the community, and do the best you can with the cards which have been dealt. Most Americans have simply been screwed by greed. Now, you cannot sell your house(I finally gave up and put tenants in my house and moved to a small town a couple hours from Chicago for my treatments).

Empty houses and the collapse of real estate values could have entirely been avoided. If the Federal government bailed out its innocent citizens by taking the tarp money and paying directly to folks.....well we all would be better off, but they chose to bail out banks, wall street, and shareholders.....you know the folks who got us here, while honest people like yourself struggle with their mess.

9Gated communities Empty Re: Gated communities 2/12/2013, 10:21 am

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

PACEDOG#1 wrote:I wish I could afford to move my family out of the place we are living. My wife bought her house just weeks before Ivan for 89k. She did get a 15k first time home buyer credit and it takes off that much for staying in it 5 years. Last appraisal was about 55 and the neighbor down the street just sold her house for about the same. We have seven empty homes on our street now. Empty homes attract ne'erdowells (meth, crack rock folks etc). Kids are now starting to congregate here and there looking for a place to party. Fortunately, we've been able to run off some due to the employment we both have. People are selling for less than 55-57k on houses that were 90k before 2006. It's getting close to the point where we might just get some land and a trailer further out into the county and let this house go because the neighborhood is going to hell in a handbasket fast. We don't send our youngest to public schools already because of the neighborhood. Elementary kids around the area are already involved in the DJJ system to go along with the myriad of pervs that the FDLE says live within a mile radius.
Seaoat,

I rented out my house and dozed a hole in the woods for a trailer in the country. Costs more gas to get back into town but I like living out here. My motorcycle saves me some money when the weather allows.

10Gated communities Empty Re: Gated communities 2/12/2013, 2:39 pm

Well, it was a decent neighborhood until about two years ago. The house across from us is always up for rent and the landlord doesn't like to cut the grass. My next door neighbor and I took turns cutting it last summer. We may just try and sell for what we owe on it and find something else. I believe we can get what we owe easily. I know we'll not see again what was paid for it in many, many years to come. I have some repairs to do once I am done traveling and that should not be too hard with my Lowe's card LOL.
Being a vet, I can ge another house in my name with a VA loan and very little, if any, money down. There are lots of decent home deals to be had in the Pace/Milton/Chumuckla area. I don't want to move all the way to Jay though. Allentown would be as far north as I want to go.

11Gated communities Empty Re: Gated communities 2/12/2013, 4:10 pm

Nekochan

Nekochan

There is nothing wrong with making money as long as making it or wanting more of it doesn't consume a person. Money cannot buy happiness but the lack of money can sure make life difficult.

Pace, if you want your family out of that neighborhood it just might be best to find a new place to live and rent out your current house. When you have kids, everything changes. There are places I might would stick it out and live without kids but that I would not want to live if I had kids still at home.

12Gated communities Empty Re: Gated communities 2/12/2013, 5:26 pm

Wordslinger

Wordslinger

Chrissy wrote:
knothead wrote:

Its possible Im missing the point. I can only give my interpretation going from the long story about living on a mountain to those less fortunate going without.

charity also comes to mind in these instances, because wealthy people even middle class people give a lot to charity.

so maybe i do not know what he is getting at. But the thought reminded me of what kind of world would it be if there were no wealthy people? Could 7 billion people toil the ground and run the mills etc and devide the booty up equally amongst all with out some sort of huge gov intervention?

reminds me of that sweet john lennon song that I always thought would never work and wouldnt want it to. like the song though

The real question is, how many folks have to live in misery so some fat ass can live in a castle on a mountaintop -- a subject which must be missing from your Bible . . .

The cure, of course, is that eventually the number of those living in misery reaches a point where it takes a helluva lot more than a few gates to stop those dedicated to revolution and a better, more equitable and fulfilling life for all.

Oh jeez ... that last paragraph could have been written by Jesus ...

13Gated communities Empty Re: Gated communities 2/18/2013, 8:23 am

Wordslinger wrote:
Chrissy wrote:
knothead wrote:

The real question is, how many folks have to live in misery so some fat ass can live in a castle on a mountaintop -- a subject which must be missing from your Bible . . .

The cure, of course, is that eventually the number of those living in misery reaches a point where it takes a helluva lot more than a few gates to stop those dedicated to revolution and a better, more equitable and fulfilling life for all.

Oh jeez ... that last paragraph could have been written by Jesus ...

You make the assumption that a rich man made people poor on his way up. this is rediculous.

bad logic and people are buying into seaoats imginary fantasies and giving him a pass because of his illness. seaoats ideaology has become very liberal although he wouldnt give up the comforts he has earned for anything, thay are providing him with additional medical treatments to extend his life, and recently a very nice trip that most couldnt afford to take. seaoat is the rich man on the hill.

and befpre people start on me, i defended seaoat on the seaoat thread and was wrried about him very much. but i can not give seaoat too much special treatment. a little, but i can not pander fully to his new idealogy just because i feel sorry for him. nope.

so let me ask again, how may poor people did the rich person create by becoming rich? explain your limited pie theory to us.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum