Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

I messed up something for yella and could use help to figure it out.

+2
Yella
Hospital Bob
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Yella recently got an I-Phone and used it to record some videos and still photos.
I tried to help him figure out how to view the videos on his PC but couldn't figure it out (I'm an I-Phone illiterate) and to make matters worse I accidentally deleted all the videos from his phone.

Here's what happened. We connected the phone to the PC (Win 7) and I was able to find the phone in "computer" no problem. But all I could find was stills.
Yella said delete the stills and I did. But I was apparently deleting both the stills and the videos because the videos are now gone from the phone memory too.

I guess my question is what are the ordinary steps to view I-phone videos with a Win 7 pc?

Yella

Yella

I want y'all to know something about Bob. If you ever want something deleted and don't know how or have the time, call ol' Bob. He can delete files faster than a cat can lick its ass. LOL

http://warpedinblue,blogspot.com/

boards of FL

boards of FL

It's been awhile since I connected an iPhone to a windows PC, but I think I navigated to whatever folder had the pics/video, and then simply copy and pasted the files to a folder that I created on my desktop.

Of course, now that I have a macbook, all of my pics and video are automatically on my computer as soon as I take them.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Yella wrote:I want y'all to know something about Bob. If you ever want something deleted and don't know how or have the time, call ol' Bob. He can delete files faster than a cat can lick its ass. LOL
And sometimes I would delete whole computers, keyboards, mice, monitors and the whole shebang if I knew how to. That's how pissed off I can get at machines. Don't let machines fool you, they are not just a bunch of transistors and wires. They were invented by Satan and Satan gave them evil intelligence (artificial though it may be). Their whole mission in life (artificial though it may be) is to make life miserable for humans.

Markle

Markle

Bob wrote:
Yella wrote:I want y'all to know something about Bob. If you ever want something deleted and don't know how or have the time, call ol' Bob. He can delete files faster than a cat can lick its ass. LOL
And sometimes I would delete whole computers, keyboards, mice, monitors and the whole shebang if I knew how to. That's how pissed off I can get at machines. Don't let machines fool you, they are not just a bunch of transistors and wires. They were invented by Satan and Satan gave them evil intelligence (artificial though it may be). Their whole mission in life (artificial though it may be) is to make life miserable for humans.

I am certain that they all come with stress sensors. The more stress and urgency the user is under, the more difficult the problem. No one can convince me otherwise.

Markle

Markle

Bob wrote:Yella recently got an I-Phone and used it to record some videos and still photos.
I tried to help him figure out how to view the videos on his PC but couldn't figure it out (I'm an I-Phone illiterate) and to make matters worse I accidentally deleted all the videos from his phone.

Here's what happened. We connected the phone to the PC (Win 7) and I was able to find the phone in "computer" no problem. But all I could find was stills.
Yella said delete the stills and I did. But I was apparently deleting both the stills and the videos because the videos are now gone from the phone memory too.

I guess my question is what are the ordinary steps to view I-phone videos with a Win 7 pc?

I'm computer illiterate too though I use them daily. But, have you looked in the recycle bin of the computer. I haven't bought an I-Phone yet. I haven't justified another $400 a year for a "smart phone". I know, it's the thing but what's the next thing?

Its hard to say if they are still on the comp without looking. but like another said the recycle bin maybe? I would also look in my "recent places" folder.

as far as pics and vids from an iphone, this is what i do. I kind of beat around the bush, but it works.

I email the pictures/vids from the iphone to my email account. then i go on the comp and copy/save them to my comp.

iphone does have an app for yutube, its free and you can send vids directly from your iphone to your youtube account eazy breezy. iphone has a facebook app too which works the same as youtube, they go directly from your iphone to facebook.

hope you find em. good luck!

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Wow I shoulda thought of that, yella. Those video files could very well still be in your recycle bin. If so we haven't lost them and we can still make use of them.

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

Unless you first copied them to a folder on your computer deleting from an external device is usually permanent....

say is boards related to peirs morgan ?

I messed up something for yella and could use help to figure it out. Family10

Bob wrote:Wow I shoulda thought of that, yella. Those video files could very well still be in your recycle bin. If so we haven't lost them and we can still make use of them.

Yeah, you might have to right click on them then select something like "restore file." Good luck.

I haven't cleaned out my email account since 2007 (I'm not joking. I currently have 5597 unread emails). Maybe you could come do some spring cleaning for me, Bob. Shocked

riceme wrote:
Bob wrote:Wow I shoulda thought of that, yella. Those video files could very well still be in your recycle bin. If so we haven't lost them and we can still make use of them.

Yeah, you might have to right click on them then select something like "restore file." Good luck.

Good luck on finding files on an iPhone. I have had two iPads and have YET to find a file structure on them. Maybe the phones are different, I dunno.

Yomama wrote:
riceme wrote:

Good luck on finding files on an iPhone. I have had two iPads and have YET to find a file structure on them. Maybe the phones are different, I dunno.

If I understand correctly they're looking for the files that Bob oh-so-helpfully deleted off of Yeller's laptop, which has Windows 7.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

It was the strangest thing. Computer displayed the files. And I looked at properties on all of them and every one was the size of a still (about 1Mb). None the size of the videos yella had taken. And when I opened them they all opened as stills.
But when I deleted them, the still photo files and the video files went away on yella's I-phone.

Bob wrote:It was the strangest thing. Computer displayed the files. And I looked at properties on all of them and every one was the size of a still (about 1Mb). None the size of the videos yella had taken. And when I opened them they all opened as stills.
But when I deleted them, the still photo files and the video files went away on yella's I-phone.

Coulda been one of those issues where the the file type had been set as "hidden," Bob. I have my machine set to show all file types no matter what.

Err, I just re-read what you wrote. Maybe I don't understand exactly what happened. Did they delete off of his phone or off of his computer?? I think I'd read it wrong earlier.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

riceme wrote:

Coulda been one of those issues where the the file type had been set as "hidden," Bob. I have my machine set to show all file types no matter what.

Err, I just re-read what you wrote. Maybe I don't understand exactly what happened. Did they delete off of his phone or off of his computer?? I think I'd read it wrong earlier.
"Computer" in Windows 7 was displaying the files as it should have. After opening them all one at a time and only seeing stills, I looked at properties on each one. And properties indicated the file size on all was what a still photo file would be. Not the VERY much larger file sizes of videos.
At that point I started deleting the listed files one at a time. And then when we looked at the I-Phone the stills AND the video files were all gone off the phone memory.

If the video files were "hidden" on the PC, I wouldn't have deleted those because I couldn't see them to delete them (I was deleting the files I could see one at a time).

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

But the next step is to look in yella's recycle bin to see if they're still on the hard drive. If they are we can restore them and then figure out how to find them and open them.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Wait a minute, Houston, we have a problem.
I think "computer" was only displaying the contents of the I-Phone. The files had not yet been copied to yella's PC. If that's the case then all I did was delete them directly off the phone memory so the recycle bin doesn't come in to play.
Shit.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Steve Jobs and Bill Gates may be geniuses and all. But it's not normal genius, it's geekgenius.
Normal genius would have made file transfers like this a lot easier for non-geeks. Geeks don't think like non-geeks and that's why granny buys a computer and later gives it to the goodwill cause it's too geeked up for her to have to figure out.

Bob wrote:
"Computer" in Windows 7 was displaying the files as it should have. After opening them all one at a time and only seeing stills, I looked at properties on each one. And properties indicated the file size on all was what a still photo file would be. Not the VERY much larger file sizes of videos.
At that point I started deleting the listed files one at a time. And then when we looked at the I-Phone the stills AND the video files were all gone off the phone memory.

If the video files were "hidden" on the PC, I wouldn't have deleted those because I couldn't see them to delete them (I was deleting the files I could see one at a time).

Right, I'm with you now.

Bob wrote:Wait a minute, Houston, we have a problem.
I think "computer" was only displaying the contents of the I-Phone. The files had not yet been copied to yella's PC. If that's the case then all I did was delete them directly off the phone memory so the recycle bin doesn't come in to play.
Shit.

Plug it back in and start poking around on the iPhone. Just don't hit the delete button on anything. :]

Jake92

After working on the base for 8 yrs, BIG navy in Portsmouth remotely put a new program on my puter one Thursday night. They used to do it to my puter all of the time before pushing it out navy wide a few days later. I was OFF the next day and didn't know anything happened until I got to work Monday morning. Everything was backed up onto the puter AND CD every day before leaving and also uploaded to a main frame puter in Portsmouth, VA before I left Thursday afternoon.. My boss couldn't sign onto the puter Friday morning so he called a friend in Jacksonville. Together, they crashed the puter completely, even removing Windows from it. LOL The geeks at the hospital came to get the puter and CD with the backup on it so they could figure it out and fix it. The hospital geeks along with the geeks in Portsmouth figured out what was wrong and for some unknown reason, they deleted everything from the CD and reformatted it BEFORE putting 8 yrs of info back into the memory. It ended up they decided to remove program A, then install program B and reinstall program A and everything would work. The 8 yrs of work was recovered 1 person at a time over the next yr or two, but I could never recover the info from the ones that transferred or got out. Some geeks are just too smart for their own good and forget the old carpenter rule when cutting lumber: measure twice and cut once!!!!!

Might be of some help, think you can find some of this software for free to.

http://www.anysoftwaretools.com/how-to/iphone-recovery.html

http://www.squidoo.com/recover-iphone-data

http://www.copytrans.net/

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum