Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

US Soldiers More Likely to Die by Their Own Hand Than in Combat

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

http://readersupportednews.org/news-section2/323-95/15849-for-us-soldiers-suicide-now-more-lethal-than-combat

"Libby Busbee is pretty sure that her son William never sat through or read Shakespeare's Macbeth, even though he behaved as though he had. Soon after he got back from his final tour of Afghanistan, he began rubbing his hands over and over and constantly rinsing them under the tap.

"Mom, it won't wash off," he said.

"What are you talking about?" she replied.

"The blood. It won't come off."

On 20 March last year, the soldier's striving for self-cleanliness came to a sudden end. That night he locked himself in his car and, with his mother and two sisters screaming just a few feet away and with Swat officers encircling the vehicle, he shot himself in the head...

..."He wasn't the normal teenager who went out and partied," Libby Busbee said. "He wanted to be somebody. He had his mind set on what he wanted to do, and he loved the army. I couldn't be more proud of him."

Once enlisted, he was sent on three separate year-long tours to Afghanistan. It was the fulfillment of his dreams, but it came at a high price. He came under attack several times, and in one particularly serious incident incurred a blow to the head that caused traumatic brain injury. His body was so peppered with shrapnel that whenever he walked through an airport security screen he would set off the alarm.

The mental costs were high too. Each time he came back from Afghanistan. between tours or on R&R, he struck his mother as a little more on edge, a little more withdrawn. He would rarely go out of the house and seemed ill at ease among civilians. "I reckon he felt he no longer belonged here," she said.

Once, Busbee was driving Libby in his car when a nearby train sounded its horn. He was so startled by the noise that he leapt out of the vehicle, leaving it to crash into the curb. After that, he never drove farther than a couple of blocks.

Nights were the worst. He had bad dreams and confessed to being scared of the dark, making Libby swear not to tell anybody. Then he took to sleeping in a closet, using a military sleeping bag tucked inside the tiny space to recreate the conditions of deployment. "I think it made him feel more comfortable," his mother said.

After one especially fraught night, Libby awoke to find that he had slashed his face with a knife. Occasionally, he would allude to the distressing events that led to such extreme behaviour: there was the time that another soldier, aged 18, had been killed right beside him; and the times that he himself had killed.

William told his mother: "You would hate me if you knew what I've done out there."

"I will never hate you. You are the same person you always were," she said.

"No, Mom," he countered. "The son you loved died over there."..."

http://www.globalpost.com/dispatch/news/regions/americas/mexico/121001/fast-and-furious-guns-linked-mexico-murders

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

PkrBum wrote:http://www.globalpost.com/dispatch/news/regions/americas/mexico/121001/fast-and-furious-guns-linked-mexico-murders

Why are you responding to my thread about US soldiers' suicides with a comment on Mexican gunrunning? Shouldn't you start your own thread?

FT,

You do the same to others in many posts as well. You and Dreams.

Floridatexan wrote:
http://readersupportednews.org/news-section2/323-95/15849-for-us-soldiers-suicide-now-more-lethal-than-combat

"Libby Busbee is pretty sure that her son William never sat through or read Shakespeare's Macbeth, even though he behaved as though he had. Soon after he got back from his final tour of Afghanistan, he began rubbing his hands over and over and constantly rinsing them under the tap.

"Mom, it won't wash off," he said.

"What are you talking about?" she replied.

"The blood. It won't come off."

On 20 March last year, the soldier's striving for self-cleanliness came to a sudden end. That night he locked himself in his car and, with his mother and two sisters screaming just a few feet away and with Swat officers encircling the vehicle, he shot himself in the head...

..."He wasn't the normal teenager who went out and partied," Libby Busbee said. "He wanted to be somebody. He had his mind set on what he wanted to do, and he loved the army. I couldn't be more proud of him."

Once enlisted, he was sent on three separate year-long tours to Afghanistan. It was the fulfillment of his dreams, but it came at a high price. He came under attack several times, and in one particularly serious incident incurred a blow to the head that caused traumatic brain injury. His body was so peppered with shrapnel that whenever he walked through an airport security screen he would set off the alarm.

The mental costs were high too. Each time he came back from Afghanistan. between tours or on R&R, he struck his mother as a little more on edge, a little more withdrawn. He would rarely go out of the house and seemed ill at ease among civilians. "I reckon he felt he no longer belonged here," she said.

Once, Busbee was driving Libby in his car when a nearby train sounded its horn. He was so startled by the noise that he leapt out of the vehicle, leaving it to crash into the curb. After that, he never drove farther than a couple of blocks.

Nights were the worst. He had bad dreams and confessed to being scared of the dark, making Libby swear not to tell anybody. Then he took to sleeping in a closet, using a military sleeping bag tucked inside the tiny space to recreate the conditions of deployment. "I think it made him feel more comfortable," his mother said.

After one especially fraught night, Libby awoke to find that he had slashed his face with a knife. Occasionally, he would allude to the distressing events that led to such extreme behaviour: there was the time that another soldier, aged 18, had been killed right beside him; and the times that he himself had killed.

William told his mother: "You would hate me if you knew what I've done out there."

"I will never hate you. You are the same person you always were," she said.

"No, Mom," he countered. "The son you loved died over there."..."

I guess you would have it the other way huh?

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

PACEDOG#1 wrote:FT,

You do the same to others in many posts as well. You and Dreams.

What?

FT this story is a very sad and heart wrenching i deeply empathize with this man's family. It is sad that this is becoming true again but as the report suggests it has happened before. This sucks big time however what exactly are you proposing, if anything that we should do?

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

Ironsights wrote:FT this story is a very sad and heart wrenching i deeply empathize with this man's family. It is sad that this is becoming true again but as the report suggests it has happened before. This sucks big time however what exactly are you proposing, if anything that we should do?

It is my understanding from lots of reading and personal knowledge on the subject that victims of PTSD need to tell their stories to a professional, but many times they're so ashamed of what they've done or what happened to them that they don't open up to their family and friends...can't blame them...they feel isolated and that they don't belong. Unfortunately, the VA is overwhelmed with these cases, and oftentimes the "solution" is prescription drugs. I know a Vietnam vet who took Valium over a period of many years just to "function". I've seen too many people who don't believe they deserve anything because there's always someone else who has more extensive physical injuries or who paid the ultimate price. I've seen a proposal for "exit screening", or "drumming out" of soldiers...I also think that's a step in the right direction. It used to be that soldiers just didn't talk to anyone about their experiences, so they never got the chance to come to terms with their demons.

Floridatexan wrote:
Ironsights wrote:FT this story is a very sad and heart wrenching i deeply empathize with this man's family. It is sad that this is becoming true again but as the report suggests it has happened before. This sucks big time however what exactly are you proposing, if anything that we should do?

It is my understanding from lots of reading and personal knowledge on the subject that victims of PTSD need to tell their stories to a professional, but many times they're so ashamed of what they've done or what happened to them that they don't open up to their family and friends...can't blame them...they feel isolated and that they don't belong. Unfortunately, the VA is overwhelmed with these cases, and oftentimes the "solution" is prescription drugs. I know a Vietnam vet who took Valium over a period of many years just to "function". I've seen too many people who don't believe they deserve anything because there's always someone else who has more extensive physical injuries or who paid the ultimate price. I've seen a proposal for "exit screening", or "drumming out" of soldiers...I also think that's a step in the right direction. It used to be that soldiers just didn't talk to anyone about their experiences, so they never got the chance to come to terms with their demons.

And the NRA alternative therapy says let's take them to a gun range, give them a loaded weapon, and watch as they use it for it's intended purpose as they execute a highly decorated Veteran.

Can't fix stupid, but PTSD is treatable.

W_T_M wrote:[qu

And the NRA alternative therapy says let's take them to a gun range, give them a loaded weapon, and watch as they use it for it's intended purpose as they execute a highly decorated Veteran.

Can't fix stupid, but PTSD is treatable.[/quote]

Just out of very idle curiosity where did you see that the NRA has such an "alternative therapy"?

nochain wrote:

Just out of very idle curiosity where did you see that the NRA has such an "alternative therapy"? [/quote]

You are aware of the poster you are questioning?....Should be called the thread/topic killer...

newswatcher wrote:
nochain wrote:

Just out of very idle curiosity where did you see that the NRA has such an "alternative therapy"?

You are aware of the poster you are questioning?....Should be called the thread/topic killer...[/quote]

True enough, I should have known better.....

nochain wrote:
newswatcher wrote:
nochain wrote:

You are aware of the poster you are questioning?....Should be called the thread/topic killer...

True enough, I should have known better.....[/quote]

You must have moved up a couple of stations in life...you didn't get the usual blah...blah...blah...f-you...glori hole...jim nabors/gomer pyle response...you didn't treat him to a Denny's Grand Slam did you?.....

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum