Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Bridgeway Center's Crisis Stabilization Unit in Fort Walton Beach to close

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

PBulldog2

PBulldog2

I mentioned this in another thread, but at the risk of being accused of spamming, I'm posting this news article in its own thread anyway. This move will seriously impact acute mental health care provision in the a four county area.

http://www.nwfdailynews.com/local/bridgeway-center-to-close-all-inpatient-services-gallery-1.86868

FORT WALTON BEACH —Bridgeway Center’s Crisis Stabilization Unit will close its doors in March, affecting numerous agencies in Okaloosa and Walton counties.

The closing is expected no later than March 31.

Last edited by PBulldog2 on 1/31/2013, 10:04 am; edited 1 time in total

Nekochan

Nekochan

Sorry to hear it.
With budget cuts all around I don't know what the answer is.

PBulldog2

PBulldog2

Most people aren't aware of it, but Santa Rosa County's crisis stabilization unit was closed about six years ago.

I don't know the answer either, Neko. I really don't. My only observation is Bridgeway could have waited to hear if Scottie is going to increase access to Medicaid for people who have no children. That's one of the major health care challenges in the state of Florida.

It will be closed with out much, if any notice from any media or any active group. No outrages, no questions, nobody will spring up to defend or to attempt to replace the services. I guess it falls in the same category as crime and violence on the West side.
Our values are screwed up. We, including me, will fight and bitch over a Ball Park and a YMCA while the lesser among us die. People leave this area for damn good reasons

Some things literately make me sick and want to puke

Florida ranks 49th among states in the percentage of uninsured people with incomes below the federal poverty level, It also is 49th in the nation for state funding per capita for mental health funding, according to the news release.

“The Legislature has prioritized hard services in prior budget years over some of the mental health services that have been provided,” said state Rep. Matt Gaetz. “We don’t want to have more counseling at the expense of providing food and medicine to people in nursing homes.”

Gaetz said recent events such as the shooting in Newton, Conn., in December could change the budget priorities and put more focus on “soft services” in coming years.

“That will not be without some pain in the budget to someone else,” Gaetz added. “That’s the process we work through in putting together a budget.”

In addition to the Crisis Stabilization Unit, Bridgeway’s Detoxification Unit, Emergency Services and Food Services will close, according to the news release. The closures will affect 41 full- and part-time employees and contractors. Twelve employees will be transferred to other positions at Bridgeway

The nonprofit agency has served the area since 1991. Itserves local law enforcement agencies and contracts with the Florida Department of Children and Families.

“It’s a horrible situation for us,” Okaloosa County Sheriff Larry Ashley said. “That Crisis Stabilization Unit screens 220 to 225 folks a month, and they admit about 100 of those. Those 2,200 to 3,000 people are now going to be at the emergency room or jail. This drives up costs for everyone.

“The poor people that can’t afford this mental health care end up in our jails and hospitals, which creates an issue for us and they won’t get the treatment they need.”

Ashley said he anticipates the closings will add to calls for service, given the increase in Baker Act patients and suicide attempts the last few years. He said immediate plans on how best to handle the situation are being discussed.

Fort Walton Beach Medical Center is the only other local health facility that offers crisis stabilization and detoxification services.

“As with everything, we’re taking a step back and assessing the situation,” said Mark Steinbauer, director of psychiatric services at the hospital. “We do expect increased traffic in our emergency department, but I don’t think we’re very concerned.

“We look at everything in terms of opportunity. It is our mission to provide optimal health for everyone. We will be supplying those services in the future in any way that we are able and need to. We’re excited about the possibilities.”

Bridgeway’s inpatient services treats 10 clients a day. Cobbs said some new payment plans would change the procedure to make it so that the agency only would be paid for beds occupied. That would mean even less money for the already-strapped healthcare agency.

For now, Cobbs said officials are disusing how to work with the void Bridgeway’s inpatient services will leave.

“We’ve been talking with our community partners to see what we can come up with to make this as smooth as possible,” Cobbs said. “We’re making lemonade out of lemons. This is going to have a significant impact on the community and we’re just going to have to work closely with our partners to see what alternatives we have to make this less of a problem
.”

Contact Daily News Staff Writer Angel McCurdy at 850-315-4432 or amccurdy@nwfdailynews.com. Follow her on Twitter @AngelMnwfdn.

PBulldog2 wrote:I mentioned this in another thread, but at the risk of being accused of spamming, I'm posting this news article in its own thread anyway. This move will seriously impact acute mental health care provision in the a four county area.

http://www.nwfdailynews.com/local/bridgeway-center-to-close-all-inpatient-services-gallery-1.86868

FORT WALTON BEACH —Bridgeway Center’s Crisis Stabilization Unit will close its doors in March, affecting numerous agencies in Okaloosa and Walton counties.

Now I am confused(nothing new). Last night Channel 3 News said that this center is in Crestview and now I see from your article that it is in FWB.

PBulldog2

PBulldog2

[quote="hallmarkgrad"]

“The Legislature has prioritized hard services in prior budget years over some of the mental health services that have been provided,” said state Rep. Matt Gaetz. “We don’t want to have more counseling at the expense of providing food and medicine to people in nursing homes.”

Gaetz's comment above really ticked me off.

We're not talking about just counseling, we're talking about acute care for people who are in crisis. Gaetz's comment proves he doesn't know what he's talking about. Bridgeway's counseling services weren't eliminated; the crisis unit that received Baker Act patients was.

No wonder people don't give a damn with a state representative spouting that kind of nonsense.

Last edited by PBulldog2 on 1/31/2013, 10:56 am; edited 1 time in total

PBulldog2

PBulldog2

Ghost_Rider1 wrote:
PBulldog2 wrote:I mentioned this in another thread, but at the risk of being accused of spamming, I'm posting this news article in its own thread anyway. This move will seriously impact acute mental health care provision in the a four county area.

Now I am confused(nothing new). Last night Channel 3 News said that this center is in Crestview and now I see from your article that it is in FWB.

It's a small facility right smack in the middle of Fort Walton Beach, Ghost. It provided inpatient care for people who have no insurance. Fort Walton Beach Hospital provides care for people who HAVE insurance.

Now the Fort Walton Beach psych. services director is calling this an "opportunity"? What a bunch of corporate double-speak......

PBulldog2 wrote:
Ghost_Rider1 wrote:

It's a small facility right smack in the middle of Fort Walton Beach, Ghost. It provided inpatient care for people who have no insurance. Fort Walton Beach Hospital provides care for people who HAVE insurance.

Now the Fort Walton Beach psych. services director is calling this an "opportunity"? What a bunch of corporate double-speak......

Ft Walton beach hospital would also take in these crisis patients, would they not? Ins or not.

and since it is a non profit and contracted with GOV. isnt this another nail in the coffin of the new healthcare bill? I can assure you the funds they were using came to the state via federal funds. would you not agree?

Be prepared. smaller places have to close. and larger places will absorb. This is the mode we are in at the moment all over the country. No one likes it but Im afraid it is what it is. I think the people will be fine in that area, the police will take them to the hospital. I wouldnt rule out a expansion of lakeview somewhere in this scenario.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum