Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

The NEW STINGRAY !

+2
The Viking
TEOTWAWKI
6 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1The NEW STINGRAY ! Empty The NEW STINGRAY ! 1/24/2013, 9:05 pm

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2013/01/2014-chevrolet-corvette-stingray-worthy-of-the-name/

The NEW STINGRAY ! 2014-c10

2The NEW STINGRAY ! Empty Re: The NEW STINGRAY ! 1/24/2013, 9:11 pm

My DL wouldn't last 1 day in that car.. Very Happy

3The NEW STINGRAY ! Empty ehhh 1/27/2013, 8:05 am

The Viking

The Viking

Nice but I'll stick with the '61....

4The NEW STINGRAY ! Empty Re: The NEW STINGRAY ! 1/27/2013, 11:19 am

I've never driven a Vette, but I sat in one. My torso is so long (short legs) that my head kept bumping the roof.

I'll bet I would fit with the seat leaned backwards a bit. They're not too practical for someone who carries so much crap around with me, but I would still like to have one.

I liked the one with the split rear window. Wasn't that a '63? A friend had one with a 427 that was bored out, blueprinted and balanced and had a wicked cam that seemingly was shaking the car apart. I heard it would pull wheelstands in the first 3 gears.

5The NEW STINGRAY ! Empty Re: The NEW STINGRAY ! 1/27/2013, 11:22 am

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

The Viking wrote:Nice but I'll stick with the '61....

Wasn't it the '61 that had a metal body?

6The NEW STINGRAY ! Empty Re: The NEW STINGRAY ! 1/27/2013, 7:23 pm

VectorMan

VectorMan

Nice.

7The NEW STINGRAY ! Empty '61 1/27/2013, 11:04 pm

The Viking

The Viking

Floridatexan wrote:

Wasn't it the '61 that had a metal body?

Not positive on that...I know next to nothing about the Corvette lineage except they look great, they're pricey, and chicas see the drivers as one of 2 things: "He's compensating for something" or "That guy's got coin. I must flirt."

I just figure for roughly half the price to the same price of a new one, why not drive something with some flavor that I can work on myself if I feel so inclined?

8The NEW STINGRAY ! Empty Re: The NEW STINGRAY ! 1/28/2013, 1:37 am

stormwatch89

stormwatch89

WAIT! The "viking" tell me why? I'm beyond intrigued!

9The NEW STINGRAY ! Empty Re: The NEW STINGRAY ! 1/28/2013, 8:15 am

The Viking

The Viking

stormwatch89 wrote:

WAIT! The "viking" tell me why? I'm beyond intrigued!

'Beyond intrigued' say you....?

OK...I'll summarize.

To me -personally- a 'vette isn't really a daily driver; particularly in my case as I work in KSA.

Having said that, there's just a timeless elegance to classic cars that I appreciate more than the latest sci-fi wet dream to shoot from the loins of Detroit.

Granted...VERY nice cars, but simply not my thing...

Cheers!

10The NEW STINGRAY ! Empty Re: The NEW STINGRAY ! 1/28/2013, 8:19 am

The Viking

The Viking

Yomama wrote:I've never driven a Vette, but I sat in one. My torso is so long (short legs) that my head kept bumping the roof.

I'll bet I would fit with the seat leaned backwards a bit. They're not too practical for someone who carries so much crap around with me, but I would still like to have one.

I liked the one with the split rear window. Wasn't that a '63? A friend had one with a 427 that was bored out, blueprinted and balanced and had a wicked cam that seemingly was shaking the car apart. I heard it would pull wheelstands in the first 3 gears.

Correct....the 63 Stingray was the only year Corvette had the split rear window...

11The NEW STINGRAY ! Empty Re: The NEW STINGRAY ! 1/28/2013, 8:55 am

I used to have a 61. I bought it from Frank Bulter in about 1970. It did not have the later models independent rear suspension. I pulled the 327 and put in a 396. It was a great looking car but it was a POS. With the top down in the summer the Back leather interior would get so hot you would almost puke. The way the wind rolled over the windshield would seem to tie your hair in knots. Look at the old pictures and you see how hight you sat in the car compared to later Corvettes.
It was fast but very twitchy. I dove it hard and had a lot of fun. Women really like it. I got caught racing and almost went to a jail and that taught me a lesson. I sold it and bought 6 cylinder Dodge Dart. I sometimes think of that old Vette and wonder why it did not kill me. We used to go on the interstate and let it run. FWIWs the Hight beam indicator light was close to the 140 mph mark. When you were running at night and the light went out you knew the speedometer needle had passed over it.

12The NEW STINGRAY ! Empty Re: The NEW STINGRAY ! 1/28/2013, 9:32 am

The Viking

The Viking

hallmarkgrad wrote:I used to have a 61. I bought it from Frank Bulter in about 1970. It did not have the later models independent rear suspension. I pulled the 327 and put in a 396. It was a great looking car but it was a POS. With the top down in the summer the Back leather interior would get so hot you would almost puke. The way the wind rolled over the windshield would seem to tie your hair in knots. Look at the old pictures and you see how hight you sat in the car compared to later Corvettes.
It was fast but very twitchy. I dove it hard and had a lot of fun. Women really like it. I got caught racing and almost went to a jail and that taught me a lesson. I sold it and bought 6 cylinder Dodge Dart. I sometimes think of that old Vette and wonder why it did not kill me. We used to go on the interstate and let it run. FWIWs the Hight beam indicator light was close to the 140 mph mark. When you were running at night and the light went out you knew the speedometer needle had passed over it.

Valid points all...

Thankfully, I'm past the need for speed...having cracked up a 67 GTO & 68 Chevelle in my glorious past. Only got one ticket though...

13The NEW STINGRAY ! Empty Re: The NEW STINGRAY ! 1/28/2013, 9:45 am

cool1

cool1

I need to get a top for my 97 mustang convertable and im going to get it done in a couple of weeks ---have any of you had to do this to your car--and maybe a good place in pensacola that has maybe did some work for any of you.

My back glass window fell out --- and I have a few other things--driver side mirror--I have glued , I hit something in my yard and it popped off, my window buttons wont stay in place heehee you push the buttons and they wont stay in place the whole thing slips in the door ,

oh and when I try to put top up shoot I have to fight with that to --heehee push the button and you have to have someone help pull it up--I hate this and now that I have the money to fix it I need to geterdone.

14The NEW STINGRAY ! Empty Re: The NEW STINGRAY ! 1/28/2013, 10:30 am

I have a Geo Metro convertible. Pentons on W st put a top on for me many years ago. they did a good job and the prices was not too bad
I just the replaced the top again about 6 months ago. As you know they dont last forever I did it my self and used topsonline.com. 13829 Saticoy st Panorama City CA 818/786-2474
They were very good, fast service and a good price. They were the only ones who could make me a good price on a white top, White is hard to keep clean but it much cooler. They stock other colors also.
Just a thought, but they worked for me..

15The NEW STINGRAY ! Empty Re: The NEW STINGRAY ! 1/28/2013, 10:50 am

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

Hallmark you beat google when it comes to Pensacola and knowing things about it.....youdamann

16The NEW STINGRAY ! Empty Re: The NEW STINGRAY ! 1/28/2013, 10:57 am

TEOTWAWKI wrote:Hallmark you beat google when it comes to Pensacola and knowing things about it.....youdamann

LOL Just been here a long time. Thanks. That was a neat thing to say,

17The NEW STINGRAY ! Empty Re: The NEW STINGRAY ! 1/28/2013, 4:54 pm

Look what I saw today on the way to the office. Looks like a 62,

[img]The NEW STINGRAY ! 25sv6mg[/img]
[img]The NEW STINGRAY ! 69hkly[/img]
I know it is cracked. New one is on order.

18The NEW STINGRAY ! Empty Re: The NEW STINGRAY ! 1/28/2013, 5:17 pm

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

I remember driving a Vette back in Corpus Christi...actually on Padre Island...that I was told had a steel body...that had to be around 1970, and I think the car was either a '61 or a '63. It was fun, tho! Googling tells me that there never was a steel-bodied Vette except for prototypes, which are all in a museum.

My sister bought an Indy Pacecar in 1977, which was really just a special paint job.

19The NEW STINGRAY ! Empty Re: The NEW STINGRAY ! 1/28/2013, 6:18 pm

hallmarkgrad wrote:
TEOTWAWKI wrote:Hallmark you beat google when it comes to Pensacola and knowing things about it.....youdamann

LOL Just been here a long time. Thanks. That was a neat thing to say,

That's what happens when you get old... very old. Razz

Georgie, that pic of you in a scout uniform (1950)... that was the year I was born.

20The NEW STINGRAY ! Empty Re: The NEW STINGRAY ! 1/28/2013, 7:03 pm

I/we were lucky. Fate dealt us a perfect hand. The right time, the right place, and the freedom to enjoy all Natures gifts. I envy no one. People spend millions for what we had for free.
I have to admit I find it very humorous at times to watch people , plot, spend, fight over a small piece of property when there are miles of equally beautiful places to choose from.

Yesterday I rode my bicycle over the same streets of my paper route. Looking at some of the same houses that I delivered the PNJ to 55 years ago. I like it here.

21The NEW STINGRAY ! Empty Re: The NEW STINGRAY ! 1/29/2013, 6:38 am

cool1

cool1

Hey Thank you Hallmark------I called 2 people so far --Pentons-$875.00 and --another place was $100.00 cheaper --im going to keep calling around ! Surprised

22The NEW STINGRAY ! Empty Re: The NEW STINGRAY ! 1/29/2013, 7:37 am

There are at least 4 different types of top material. Be sure to research it and make sure all your quotes are for the same material. In my case, I think every one just buys the top from some where and then installs it.
...........................................................................................................

Sailcloth®Grain Vinyl This is a two-ply composite made of a PVC sailcloth grain outer layer and polyester cotton blend lining.

Twillfast®This material is an acoustically enhanced three-ply composite. It has a elastomeric, rubber like synthetic polymer inner layer with a twill weave acrylic outer and polyester cotton blend lining.

Stayfast®A three ply composite material with a square weave outer fabric, a rubber inner and a cotton lining.

Twillfast RPC®An acoustically enhanced three-ply composite made of acrylic twill weave outer fabric, a rubber inner layer and a polyester lining fabric.

Acoustic topping provides up to 2dB of noticeable improvement over standard topping. You get the same great look but with dramatically reduced interior noise levels giving you optimal comfort at any speed.

23The NEW STINGRAY ! Empty Re: The NEW STINGRAY ! 1/30/2013, 9:41 am

cool1

cool1

yes I think they order the top---online I found the tops -$300 ,$ 400 so thay all charge around the same to install----mmm that is why they are giving me those prices---I ran into a guy a while back that knew someone that could fix everything--door and all for 1,000 I will go see who he is talking about .

24The NEW STINGRAY ! Empty Re: The NEW STINGRAY ! 2/1/2013, 5:37 pm

I had to dig this thread back up because the March issue of Car and Driver came in the mail today (it actually likely came days ago... haven't been down the hill to get the mail in a while) and there's a big spread on the Stingray (it's also on the cover). I haven't read it yet... it's about 7-pages, but the specs make my mouth water. And I am in agreement w/Lurch. My driver's license wouldn't last throughout the day in this car. I don't have the self control to keep that under the speed limit.

I anticipate the write up is going to be pretty positive, as on the cover it says "STINGRAY: THE REAL THING."

While I have always appreciated fine mechanics, I have never been one of those girls to get all excited over fancy cars... until I went for a ride in my friend's Z06 this past summer. We took it out on the 395 where there are several perfect stretches and opened it up then ran it home up a windy mountain road (past Willow Springs, for the true motorheads reading along)... just like heaven. Felt like we were in a rocket on marshmellow suspension. He has all sorts of hotrods and bikes, and whenever we hang out I used to always ask to ride in something else (one of the Harleys or his old suped up Chevy 1-ton flatbed were my favorites) but since he put me in the Vette, that's what I always pick now. That one ride literally ruined me. lol

25The NEW STINGRAY ! Empty Re: The NEW STINGRAY ! 2/1/2013, 9:48 pm

riceme wrote: And I am in agreement w/Lurch. My driver's license wouldn't last throughout the day in this car. I don't have the self control to keep that under the speed limit lol

I had my current Civic Si for a week and I had a ticket for 75 in a 35. I was showing my new car off to a young female coworker... burning rubber and everything. Yeah, it's a Civic... but it hits the rev limiter at 8500 RPM, has a 6-speed and burns premium fuel... a real screamer.

I'd probably kill myself with the 'vette.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum