Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Wisconsin wins in court and, as manufacturing bounces back from recession, unions are left behind

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Markle

Markle

As manufacturing bounces back from recession, unions are left behind

[...]

Sherk, the Heritage Foundation researcher, got a jump on that report by compiling the government’s monthly statistics himself. His calculations, based on 11 months of data, show that non-unionized manufacturing employment grew by about 700,000 net jobs from 2010 through 2012, a 6 percent increase. Unionized manufacturing jobs declined by 60,000, or about 4 percent. (Those numbers differ slightly from the Labor Department’s calculation of overall manufacturing job growth because they are drawn from different economic surveys.)

[...]

Also, some governors have mounted aggressive campaigns to limit collective bargaining for public employees. Wisconsin, where Gov. Scott Walker stirred controversy by championing and signing such a law in 2011, saw the nation’s second-largest percent decline in public union membership in 2012.

Read more: http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/economy/as-manufacturing-bounces-back-from-recession-unions-are-left-behind/2013/01/16/4b4a7368-5e88-11e2-90a0-73c8343c6d61_story_1.html

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

Markle wrote:As manufacturing bounces back from recession, unions are left behind

[...]

Sherk, the Heritage Foundation researcher, got a jump on that report by compiling the government’s monthly statistics himself. His calculations, based on 11 months of data, show that non-unionized manufacturing employment grew by about 700,000 net jobs from 2010 through 2012, a 6 percent increase. Unionized manufacturing jobs declined by 60,000, or about 4 percent. (Those numbers differ slightly from the Labor Department’s calculation of overall manufacturing job growth because they are drawn from different economic surveys.)

[...]

Also, some governors have mounted aggressive campaigns to limit collective bargaining for public employees. Wisconsin, where Gov. Scott Walker stirred controversy by championing and signing such a law in 2011, saw the nation’s second-largest percent decline in public union membership in 2012.

Read more: http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/economy/as-manufacturing-bounces-back-from-recession-unions-are-left-behind/2013/01/16/4b4a7368-5e88-11e2-90a0-73c8343c6d61_story_1.html

There is hope yet for this country....

stormwatch89

stormwatch89

Sometimes it just takes common sense.

Kudos.

2seaoat

“Robots don’t join unions,” Bernstein said, “and smaller shops aren’t buying robots.”

Robots are going to be a real factor in manufacturing returning to America. The use of the same is getting more sophisticated, and generic robots are in fact becoming more available for the small machine shop and small manufacturing facilities. There will be growth in manufacturing, yet actual job creation will not be as great as one would expect. The use of robots will actually create jobs in America, and bodes very badly for the folks who originally took jobs from America........sometimes the labor factor of bringing a product to market is simply not that critical with the options manufacturers have with technology.

stormwatch89

stormwatch89

In the dim fog of a memory, I seem to remember you being adamant that Scott would be recalled and that Unions were essential.

Am I wrong, or were you?

2seaoat

I am a firm believer in collective bargaining and the role of unions in America. Scott and his action energized America, and Obama won. I had friends who were part of the demonstrations on State Street in Madison. Scott taking the call from the Koch brother put Obama in the White House for the second term. I however have been the victim of unions throughout my life. I had to cross picket lines as part of a management team which kept a plant running.....it was a very bad period.......but even as I was being yelled at......I knew this process.....the strike.....had a function in America. Most recently I have had to file a lawsuit against the government about something as silly as a bathroom trailer. There was an inspection this week, and the plumbing inspector was making innuendo that any changes to the plumbing on that self contained trailer which is totally moveable, had to use licensed plumbers......which often means union plumbers.......nope I have no use for unions strong arm tactics, or silly workplace rules that do not go to safety, but interfere with productivity. I believe that the pendulum has swung to far, and it is time to protect workers and make sure they can organize and make labor more important than capital. Demand drives 70% of our GDP, and destroying the American middle class starts with destroying unions. Those who advocate the same are traitors to America.......but those who fight silly union abuses are heroes.....there is a distinct difference.

stormwatch89

stormwatch89

2seaoat wrote:I am a firm believer in collective bargaining and the role of unions in America. Scott and his action energized America, and Obama won. I had friends who were part of the demonstrations on State Street in Madison. Scott taking the call from the Koch brother put Obama in the White House for the second term. I however have been the victim of unions throughout my life. I had to cross picket lines as part of a management team which kept a plant running.....it was a very bad period.......but even as I was being yelled at......I knew this process.....the strike.....had a function in America. Most recently I have had to file a lawsuit against the government about something as silly as a bathroom trailer. There was an inspection this week, and the plumbing inspector was making innuendo that any changes to the plumbing on that self contained trailer which is totally moveable, had to use licensed plumbers......which often means union plumbers.......nope I have no use for unions strong arm tactics, or silly workplace rules that do not go to safety, but interfere with productivity. I believe that the pendulum has swung to far, and it is time to protect workers and make sure they can organize and make labor more important than capital. Demand drives 70% of our GDP, and destroying the American middle class starts with destroying unions. Those who advocate the same are traitors to America.......but those who fight silly union abuses are heroes.....there is a distinct difference.

Wow, My reading comprehension must have elapsed with age. I'm seeing direct conflicts in your writing. Forgive.

My only issue with Unions is "Forced" membership. On that, I would think we would agree.......actually, I think all Americans would agree.

2seaoat

Nope, we do not agree on that.......I am not a real fan of freeloading. If you have a union which is representing your interest, I never complained about union dues being taken out of my wages. Otherwise, the union is destroyed. My problem with Unions is when they hurt productivity with selfish rules, or stupid rules......and then use power to secure the same....rather than reason.

Also, if you remember what I was arguing about in Wisconsin was the awakening of the American Middle Class. I was correct. It was a populist movement which spread for working Americans, and in the end cemented the 47% comment, and turned the election. I was correct. It was not by accident or luck that my prediction was correct. It was knowing the type of people who were demonstrating on the streets of Madison. My daughter's friend is a nurse who is one of the most conservative women I know, but she had very strong feelings about having a voice in her hospital environment for the benefit of her patients......she believed that taking her voice away through destroying collective bargaining was bad for people......I knew at that point that working Americans saw the battle lines differently than what Sean Hannity was trying to portray. Wisconsin put President Obama back in the White House......and this idea that this was some type of Occupy movement was naive......and dead cinch wrong. If my memory serves me right.....that was your position.....and to the extent this miscalculation kept Romney out of the White House.....I am forever indebted.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum