Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Ever feel like a toad in the dark green forest?

+5
Markle
boards of FL
2seaoat
TEOTWAWKI
stormwatch89
9 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 3]

stormwatch89

stormwatch89

This week has been tough and next will prove to be tougher.

Just wondering how many of you have felt the pain of divorce, the "joy" of watching your kids marrying those you wish they would not, and trying to appear polite and positive through it all.

I sure could use some helpful "statements"

" Thank You."

"Of Course!"

Smile

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

My son went through a divorce and now pays a fortune in child support. A few months ago he told me he was going north to bring back a girlfriend and her 3 kids to live with him. I told him no in no uncertain terms. I told him he couldn't afford it....today I gave him money to keep his car insurance paid...he looked at me with tears in his eyes as I gave it to him....I have no advice.. You KNOW they are screwing up but all you can do is love them and hope they can find a way out of the mess. Yeah he still went and got the girl....

2seaoat

Nobody said it was going to be easy......but hard is not bad at all. My daughter in law chased me around my daughter's wedding drunk telling me she was going to have my grandbabies........she hooked onto my son in fifth grade.....she came over and watched TV and became part of our family starting her soph. year in high school. She absolutely does not like me at times and makes no bones about it.......but as much as I thought that my son should spread his wings.......as much as I had my doubts......damn.....I was wrong. She still has faults.....she still makes every holiday get together exciting as to see who she goes after....me, or my son in law......but when my son in law was let go from his job.....the first person that found him a job was my daughter in law......sometimes......well things just work out the best they can......and that is what a family is.....not perfect.......not even fun sometimes.....but at its core is love and care despite all the distractions.

We need to let our children make their own mistakes. A suggestion.....yes.....but it is difficult to know when to push something....and when keeping one's mouth shut is good. I am getting wiser.....I am actually keeping my Seaotian rants in the family to cliff notes.

boards of FL

boards of FL

stormwatch89 wrote:
Just wondering how many of you have felt the pain of divorce, the "joy" of watching your kids marrying those you wish they would not, and trying to appear polite and positive through it all.

Smile

A co-worker is experiencing this right now. I sort of tease her about it, but I can tell she is genuinely upset with her daughters choice in male companionship.

I'll bet the guy's a lib.. Twisted Evil

Ever feel like a toad in the dark green forest? Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRBcUaWsHwgf3uaq69lrGX0I_H_CGv6mpJMXwbCmOocLQPB41ST

*****SMILE*****

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIiUqfxFttM

Smile

Markle

Markle

TEOTWAWKI wrote:My son went through a divorce and now pays a fortune in child support. A few months ago he told me he was going north to bring back a girlfriend and her 3 kids to live with him. I told him no in no uncertain terms. I told him he couldn't afford it....today I gave him money to keep his car insurance paid...he looked at me with tears in his eyes as I gave it to him....I have no advice.. You KNOW they are screwing up but all you can do is love them and hope they can find a way out of the mess. Yeah he still went and got the girl....

I'm sorry for you and your issues with your son. I'm not sorry for your son who has yet to grow up and take responsibility for his actions.

I don't know how old he is but his first and only obligation is to the child or children of his first marriage. He has put his own desires ahead of his own children. If he has to work 2 jobs for the next 10 years, that was his decision. Now his son or daughter is going to grow up without their father because his new flame is going to demand he spend time with her and ther three kids.

Hmmmm...you "told him no", in no uncertain terms and then you wrote a big check to keep his car insured so he could go and get his new flame and her THREE KIDS. It seems that he has accomplished the skill of manipulating dear ol' dad.

I sincerely hope and pray that I'm wrong and this works out like a dream for all concerned. Wait until he announces to you that he and flame 2 now have a bundle of joy on the way.

Stormy, i just had to deal with my daughter marrying man I thought crap about. i call him the canadian lol

he was working when they got together, then he got laid off, and he thought it was perfectly fine to ride out on unemploymet, drove me nuts, but after about a few months he found a job and is owrking hard, thy now have thir own place. everybody was hard on him, i bit my tongue for hr benefit and it helped him and i build a relationship. I now see he will be a decent husband. but you couldnt have told me that last year.

just hang in there, be your sweet and loving self. time changes things and occasionaly miricles happen. best of all, dont miss the chance to dance I love you

love you gf Smile

its going to be ok

PBulldog2

PBulldog2

Hey sweet friend....you just helped pull me out of my own funk. What is this...National Funk Week, or something? Sad

Stormy, I've never had children of my own, so I can't relate to that. However, I do have a step-daughter, so I guess I qualify on that account.

My step-daughter is a beautiful girl. She lived with us for a while when she was attending the Oasis program at Woodham in Pensacola. That was one of the most precious times in my life.

I learned what being home when the child gets home was all about.....I learned about listening with my whole heart. I learned about dreaming about her future instead of mine. I learned about the joy of hunting through my home library for a collection of Poe's stories, and I remember the thrill when she stayed up late one night to read "The Telltale Heart." I remember the thrill when she wanted to discuss Poe and his craft with me the next afternoon after school.

I remember her nightmares, and the hours we spent talking about the meaning of dreams. I remember my heart jumping in joy when my step-daughter, a quiet, introspective girl, would come to me and say, "I had another dream last night....can we talk? Nobody else listens like you do."

I learned about a mother's pain when, one day in mid-winter several years ago, she had to go back to live with her Mom. It was an unexpected, fast and cruel change, and I remember sitting on her bed sobbing for hours. I felt I had lost my focus, my reason for being, if you will. Is that how you feel now?

I learned about a mother's pride when, during her graduation from the Oasis program at Woodham, she was given an award for writing one of the best creative essays in the state on some state exam (I don't know the particulars of the exam.)

My beautiful, gifted girl did not take my dreams for her as her own. She never graduated high school, although she did get her GED. She has made no attempt to get into college, but does manual labor instead. She cut her gorgeous hair, bleached it, got a tattoo and then lip rings. I rarely see her anymore. She had what seemed to be a good boyfriend - she actually called and wanted us to meet him, so we took them to dinner - but she dumped him the day after the dinner.

Who knows why children do what they do, Stormy? Although it has been difficult, I had to let her go. She has to find her own way now, but she knows I am here. If she calls, she knows I will answer. She knows a listener (dream whisperer?) is only a few miles away. I can tell you that is the last time I will rave about what a great boyfriend she has, though. Laughing

That's my brief tale about motherhood, which is something I didn't think I would ever experience. I have no words of wisdom for you, only commiseration.

Chrissy said it best.....miracles do happen, especially when we let go of the problem. It's the letting go and letting be that is so hard!

I am going to have a good day and stay positive. If I choose not to, I will post about my sons first wife, the true "Bitch from Hell" I sincerely hope none of you every have to deal with such a person.
EDIT

But it is possible to deal with such people. It may tax the very essence of your soul, but it can be done. She is the mother of my grandson. A fact that she exploits to the max. As we speak she is causing major issues, just as she has for the last 15 years.
But my son has moved on, has a good job and has his son with him for the school year. Our son and our grandchildren are doing well and that is all that matters.

stormwatch89

stormwatch89

It's times like these that I realize just how great y'all are.

Thanks. Really.

Sal

Sal

stormwatch89 wrote:This week has been tough and next will prove to be tougher.

I sure could use some helpful "statements"

" Thank You."

"Of Course!"

Smile

Do some things just for yourself that keep you strong, maintain composure, and always remember - this too shall pass.

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

Markle wrote:
TEOTWAWKI wrote:My son went through a divorce and now pays a fortune in child support. A few months ago he told me he was going north to bring back a girlfriend and her 3 kids to live with him. I told him no in no uncertain terms. I told him he couldn't afford it....today I gave him money to keep his car insurance paid...he looked at me with tears in his eyes as I gave it to him....I have no advice.. You KNOW they are screwing up but all you can do is love them and hope they can find a way out of the mess. Yeah he still went and got the girl....

I'm sorry for you and your issues with your son. I'm not sorry for your son who has yet to grow up and take responsibility for his actions.

I don't know how old he is but his first and only obligation is to the child or children of his first marriage. He has put his own desires ahead of his own children. If he has to work 2 jobs for the next 10 years, that was his decision. Now his son or daughter is going to grow up without their father because his new flame is going to demand he spend time with her and ther three kids.

Hmmmm...you "told him no", in no uncertain terms and then you wrote a big check to keep his car insured so he could go and get his new flame and her THREE KIDS. It seems that he has accomplished the skill of manipulating dear ol' dad.

I sincerely hope and pray that I'm wrong and this works out like a dream for all concerned. Wait until he announces to you that he and flame 2 now have a bundle of joy on the way.

Real love doesn't play the I TOLD YOU SO game nor does it stop loving when the object of that love disobeys .....

This getting a little personal but I will gamble it
After my son divorced the woman from hell, he found another girl friend. She liked his son and they got along pretty well. Then they had a big blow up and separated. She went to Georgia to live with her new boy friend and my son moved on to just dating around and working with me. One day , comes the big news. She is pregnant and is in jail for cooking meth. Wow!!!
My son says he has to go help her. The judge really dosent want the trouble of having a baby born in their jail so he offers her a deal. Her husband is going to get close to 20 years, so he is out of the picture.
He went and got her and married her. She is the best person and Mother that I know. She is a mother to my grandson that he really never had. She is a gourmet cook and is also health food junkie. I dont think she even takes a aspirin. I never have been so proud of anyone in my life. I had written her off as trash but my son saw something i did not. Thank God he did . Miracles can and do happen.. Your Children are not always wrong.

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

hallmarkgrad wrote:This getting a little personal but I will gamble it
After my son divorced the woman from hell, he found another girl friend. She liked his son and they got along pretty well. Then they had a big blow up and separated. She went to Georgia to live with her new boy friend and my son moved on to just dating around and working with me. One day , comes the big news. She is pregnant and is in jail for cooking meth. Wow!!!
My son says he has to go help her. The judge really dosent want the trouble of having a baby born in their jail so he offers her a deal. Her husband is going to get close to 20 years, so he is out of the picture.
He went and got her and married her. She is the best person and Mother that I know. She is a mother to my grandson that he really never had. She is a gourmet cook and is also health food junkie. I dont think she even takes a aspirin. I never have been so proud of anyone in my life. I had written her off as trash but my son saw something i did not. Thank God he did . Miracles can and do happen.. Your Children are not always wrong.

Awesome Hallmark....looks like your son inherited a lot more from you than his name.

Stormy, all you can do is be your gracious self and make your daughter's day special for her and hope things will fall into place.

Nekochan

Nekochan

I'm sorry, Storm. What a great bunch of responses. I'm going with Seaoat's thoughts...maybe it will work out and your son in law will pleasantly surprise you in ways you don't see right now.

I have not dealt with son in law or daughter in law issues yet.....but my gut feeling is, unless the future son in law is a drug addict or abusing your daughter, bite your tongue and smile, smile, smile at the wedding....smile if it kills you. You can cry your eyes out after the bride and groom drive away into wedded bliss. And then try to be the best mother in law you can be. If it doesn't work out, don't give either of them any room beforehand to say that you were not supportive or that you contributed to their problems.

It's so hard to watch your kids make mistakes. You just want the best in the world for them. You want the best life, and the best people to share their life with. No one tells you about this part of what it's like being a parent to adult kids (or at least you don't realize it) when you're young and your kids are babies. And thank God for that...

Good luck, sweet Storm.

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Nekochan wrote:I'm sorry, Storm. What a great bunch of responses. I'm going with Seaoat's thoughts...maybe it will work out and your son in law will pleasantly surprise you in ways you don't see right now.

I have not dealt with son in law or daughter in law issues yet.....but my gut feeling is, unless the future son in law is a drug addict or abusing your daughter, bite your tongue and smile, smile, smile at the wedding....smile if it kills you. You can cry your eyes out after the bride and groom drive away into wedded bliss. And then try to be the best mother in law you can be. If it doesn't work out, don't give either of them any room beforehand to say that you were not supportive or that you contributed to their problems.

It's so hard to watch your kids make mistakes. You just want the best in the world for them. You want the best life, and the best people to share their life with. No one tells you about this part of what it's like being a parent to adult kids (or at least you don't realize it) when you're young and your kids are babies. And thank God for that...

Good luck, sweet Storm.

Excellent advice, Neko.

stormwatch89

stormwatch89

I love this thread because it's bringing out the depths of all our personals....we all suffer and are rewarded, in our own ways.

It probably influences our political beliefs in many ways and perhaps it will help us understand each other on a more personal level.

Really.......I think we're all good people just trying to deal with life as best we can.

Group hug.

PBulldog2

PBulldog2

Sorry I went on and on about my own issues with my step daughter, Storm. Ya got me staaaahted and my fingers wouldn't stop. Very Happy

How I wish my step daugter had been able to stay with us, but alas, that was not to be. I like to think my interactions with her helped her in some way, but she's an adult now, so she has to make her own choices. (I am still upset about the lip piercings, especially since this girl has beautiful teeth and a great smile, but I had no control over that, either.)

You've gotten some really good advice here, Stormy. I like what Neko said about smiling through it all even though that's the last thing you feel like doing. My Mom used to say "Smile, even though it's killing you", and my Mom was a wise woman, too.

I'm encouraged by your story, HMG. Thanks for sharing that, even though it's personal. Sometimes sharing our own experiences is the best thing we can do for others.

PBulldog2

PBulldog2

stormwatch89 wrote:I love this thread because it's bringing out the depths of all our personals....we all suffer and are rewarded, in our own ways.

It probably influences our political beliefs in many ways and perhaps it will help us understand each other on a more personal level.

Really.......I think we're all good people just trying to deal with life as best we can.

Group hug.

Huggy-wuggy wug....and Michelle says hi. Laughing

Nekochan

Nekochan

PBulldog2 wrote:Sorry I went on and on about my own issues with my step daughter, Storm. Ya got me staaaahted and my fingers wouldn't stop. Very Happy

How I wish my step daugter had been able to stay with us, but alas, that was not to be. I like to think my interactions with her helped her in some way, but she's an adult now, so she has to make her own choices. (I am still upset about the lip piercings, especially since this girl has beautiful teeth and a great smile, but I had no control over that, either.)

You've gotten some really good advice here, Stormy. I like what Neko said about smiling through it all even though that's the last thing you feel like doing. My Mom used to say "Smile, even though it's killing you", and my Mom was a wise woman, too.

I'm encouraged by your story, HMG. Thanks for sharing that, even though it's personal. Sometimes sharing our own experiences is the best thing we can do for others.

I'm glad you shared your experience, PB. I hope someday you will have the reconciliation with your step daughter that I know you must dream about.

PBulldog2

PBulldog2

Nekochan wrote:
PBulldog2 wrote:Sorry I went on and on about my own issues with my step daughter, Storm. Ya got me staaaahted and my fingers wouldn't stop. Very Happy

I'm glad you shared your experience, PB. I hope someday you will have the reconciliation with your step daughter that I know you must dream about.

Thanks, Neko. I'm hoping, too, and she knows I'm always available if she needs me.

I was going to give you a "thank you" and make your post blue, but I can't find the thank you thingy. alien

stormwatch89

stormwatch89

No apologies, Pbee. It was heartfelt and "enjoyed".....not the right word, I know.

True......letting go and loss of focus.....there are no more honest words.

I too, hope your step daughter will find her way back to you. You were probably the best thing that ever happened to her and she will, in time.

Time cures many ills...........we need to remember that. Smile

Neko, you're spot on.......there is some wonderful advice here......better than the Dear Joani thread......sorry, Joani. Very Happy

As an aside, this guy isn't bad...he's just OLD! He's closer to my age than hers...............His Mom is flying kites.....why wouldn't she?

My baby, is, well.......a baby.

stormwatch89 wrote:

No apologies, Pbee. It was heartfelt and "enjoyed".....not the right word, I know.

True......letting go and loss of focus.....there are no more honest words.

I too, hope your step daughter will find her way back to you. You were probably the best thing that ever happened to her and she will, in time.

Time cures many ills...........we need to remember that. Smile

Neko, you're spot on.......there is some wonderful advice here......better than the Dear Joani thread......sorry, Joani. Very Happy

As an aside, this guy isn't bad...he's just OLD! He's closer to my age than hers...............His Mom is flying kites.....why wouldn't she?

My baby, is, well.......a baby.

sounds like youre coming to terms with it? worse things than OLD ya know.

Ill admit Ive always been vey good at focusing on the faults of all my childrens lovers, bf's, gf's etc. I think in a way that may have had an effect on my oldest daughter who now has a little bit of fear of commitment, or no body is good enough for her syndrome. I had to come to terms with that when my youngest got married last year and take a step back and say to myself" hey momma, you want them kids to never have anyone?" I realized even my own relationship was not perfect in my mothers eyes. Its hard coming to the conclusion you cant save them from all evils and hurts of the world as much as we want to try. I think as Mothers we never let go, just sometimes maybe we dont have such a strangle hold that its damaging. I can only speak from my own experiance as all who have posted to this have.

Hopefully whatever faults your new son in law has in your eyes, he treats your daughter well and makes her smile and happy. I usually look into my youngest dughters eyes for the answer to that one. Sure I usually do that right after i give them the 3rd degree about whatever it is that Im bitching about at the moment.

I do agree with whoever said dont give them ammo to say you didnt support them later on if it doenst work out. I have at least one incidence of that on my life plate and I regret it. You cant go back either.

I wish you and your daughter hapiness and peace with this new adventure. Very Happy

Stormy, It could be worse. Take what you can, while you can... and make the best of it.

My daughter-in-law is 26, has a BA (Made one B in her whole life... the rest "A"s), but she doesn't drive. She doesn't have a job and my son is working at a CVS as a clerk... and has a degree in Civil Engineering.

But they love each other very much and seem to be happy. Good enough for me.

Hugs and kisses...

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum