Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

State employee pension law upheld....now they are 5% down in pay since 2011

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

http://weblogs.sun-sentinel.com/news/politics/dcblog/2013/01/supremes_uphold_pension_law.html

Well, more tyranny of state employee wallets has occured. Losing 2% on New Year's to Obama and Uncle Rick getting to keep his 3% means state employees (not really the highest paid workers anywhere) will now be down 5% of their income with this decision. That doesn't include the lack of pay raises over the six year time frame since about 2007. It probably puts state workers down 30-35% over their non-government peers in that same time frame.

Margin Call

Margin Call

PACEDOG#1 wrote:http://weblogs.sun-sentinel.com/news/politics/dcblog/2013/01/supremes_uphold_pension_law.html

Well, more tyranny of state employee wallets has occured. Losing 2% on New Year's to Obama and Uncle Rick getting to keep his 3% means state employees (not really the highest paid workers anywhere) will now be down 5% of their income with this decision. That doesn't include the lack of pay raises over the six year time frame since about 2007. It probably puts state workers down 30-35% over their non-government peers in that same time frame.

Scott is talking about handing out bonuses this year. Crist did it once.

Margin Call wrote:
PACEDOG#1 wrote:http://weblogs.sun-sentinel.com/news/politics/dcblog/2013/01/supremes_uphold_pension_law.html

In an interview with the Tallahassee Democrat, Scott said the proposal would be similar to one he pushed in 2012 — when he said agencies should be able to provide performance pay for up to 35 percent of their employees.

Look at the state worker's pay and the say their down 35%.LOL!

Dreamsglore wrote:

The average state worker takes home about 1200 per month in retirement on average.

PACEDOG#1 wrote:
Dreamsglore wrote:

The average state worker takes home about 1200 per month in retirement on average.

Cry me a river!

boards of FL

boards of FL

PACEDOG#1 wrote:
Dreamsglore wrote:

I don't follow state or local politics all that much, but wasn't it only recently that state employees were even required to contribute anything to their retirement? And didn't they pitch a fit about even that?

State employees are more highly compensated than the private industry. It was reported on Channel 3 tonight.

Dreamsglore wrote:State employees are more highly compensated than the private industry. It was reported on Channel 3 tonight.

HORSECACA. Tell that to the DJJ workers, cops et al. I could work at Hurlburt Field with L3 or another contractor doing my same reserve job making twice the money. That is PRIVATE industry.

PACEDOG#1 wrote:
Dreamsglore wrote:State employees are more highly compensated than the private industry. It was reported on Channel 3 tonight.

HORSECACA. Tell that to the DJJ workers, cops et al. I could work at Hurlburt Field with L3 or another contractor doing my same reserve job making twice the money. That is PRIVATE industry.

Why do base that on one job? State employees as a whole are better compensated and have very benefits more so than the private industry.

Dreamsglore wrote:
PACEDOG#1 wrote:

Why do base that on one job? State employees as a whole are better compensated and have very benefits more so than the private industry.

State employees are more than one job.

Margin Call

Margin Call

colaguy wrote:
Margin Call wrote:

In an interview with the Tallahassee Democrat, Scott said the proposal would be similar to one he pushed in 2012 — when he said agencies should be able to provide performance pay for up to 35 percent of their employees.

I seem to recall that when a similar idea was proposed it was shot down because it would "unfairly" affect certain minorities, which would make it illegal.

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

PACEDOG#1 wrote:

Government contractors come and go as the contracts come and go. Those employees might make twice the money as you say, but two years from now, they could be laid off. I would not want to work for a DOD contractor with the looming defense cuts that are on the horizon. Many of those contractors have no back-up when the government teat dries up.

My last employer did lots of government work, but at least knew its bread had to stay buttered and sought work from industry as well. It is called being diversified.

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

ZVUGKTUBM wrote:
PACEDOG#1 wrote:

Government contractors come and go as the contracts come and go. Those employees might make twice the money as you say, but two years from now, they could be laid off. I would not want to work for a DOD contractor with the looming defense cuts that are on the horizon. Many of those contractors have no back-up when the government teat dries up.

My last employer did lots of government work, but at least knew its bread had to stay buttered and sought work from industry as well. It is called being diversified.

Doesn't change the fact that the pay is twice what most Florida residents are making on average. Nuf said.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum