Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

At the GUN SHOW today...

+2
2seaoat
Sal
6 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

26At the GUN SHOW today... - Page 2 Empty Re: At the GUN SHOW today... 1/13/2013, 9:29 pm

(quote Teo) There had been numerous progressive steps to that end... dating to the weimar republic and before...

People think that there are always massive steps that they would recognize immediately... but that is rarely the case historically.

27At the GUN SHOW today... - Page 2 Empty Re: At the GUN SHOW today... 1/13/2013, 9:45 pm

Markle wrote:
alecto wrote:
Markle wrote:Which of the spree shootings, going back to Columbine or before, would have been stopped by a more through mental health check of the individual purchasing the guns?

The common link seems to be that all of the shooters had serious mental problems but no one was willing to do anything or, in some cases, were told there was noting "they" could do until the person broke the law.

We also have to be willing to accept the fact that there are evil people in the world who will do evil things and we cannot stop them all and still live in a free society.

The Virginia Tech massacre

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seung-Hui_Cho

Vierginia Tech, as you know, is and was a "Gun Free SAFE" zone.

Virginia Tech's Gun-Free Zone Left Cho Seung-Hui's Victims Defenseless

Last year Virginia legislators considered a bill that would have overridden policies at public universities that prohibit students and faculty members with concealed handgun permits from bringing their weapons onto campus. After the bill died in committee, The Roanoke Times reported, Virginia Tech spokesman Larry Hincker welcomed its defeat, saying, "I'm sure the university community is appreciative of the General Assembly's actions because this will help parents, students, faculty and visitors feel safe on our campus."

Maybe Hincker was right. But as Monday's horrifying mass murder at Virginia Tech vividly demonstrated, there is a difference between feeling safe and being safe. The university's gun ban not only did nothing to protect people at the school; it left them defenseless as a cold-blooded gunman methodically killed 32 of them over the course of two and a half hours.

Read more: http://townhall.com/columnists/jacobsullum/2007/04/18/virginia_techs_gun-free_zone_left_cho_seung-huis_victims_defenseless

All a gun free zone does is give a maniac an easy place to commit his atrocities without fear of being harmed or stopped. You do not ever hear of one of these nuts going to a shooting range, a gun store, or a police station to commit these atrocities. Society has given the maniacs the perfect place to commit atrocities and they are called gun free zones.

In my original reply I was simply stating the VT massacre could have been prevented had background checks included mental health status. Cho Seung had a history of mental illness and it was well documented. Problem is there are laws that state if a person is declared mentally ill by a judge or self admitted that information is not available to be included in a background check, so how does a law designed to prevent a mentally ill person from purchasing a gun actually stop a mentally ill person from purchasing a gun if the one and only check doesn't include mental status. Makes no sense and is rather stupid.

28At the GUN SHOW today... - Page 2 Empty Re: At the GUN SHOW today... 1/13/2013, 9:52 pm

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2013/01/san-diego-police-shoot-man-inside-crowded-movie-theater.html

29At the GUN SHOW today... - Page 2 Empty Re: At the GUN SHOW today... 1/13/2013, 10:43 pm

alecto wrote:
Markle wrote:Which of the spree shootings, going back to Columbine or before, would have been stopped by a more through mental health check of the individual purchasing the guns?

The common link seems to be that all of the shooters had serious mental problems but no one was willing to do anything or, in some cases, were told there was noting "they" could do until the person broke the law.

We also have to be willing to accept the fact that there are evil people in the world who will do evil things and we cannot stop them all and still live in a free society.

The Virginia Tech massacre

[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seung-Hui_Cho
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seung-Hui_Cho[/quote[/url]]

...and Adam Lanza's mom should have had him committed to a looney bin.

30At the GUN SHOW today... - Page 2 Empty Re: At the GUN SHOW today... 1/13/2013, 10:45 pm

W_T_M wrote:
PkrBum wrote:I think it's odd too that leftists don't think an ID should be required to vote... but think we should have background checks.

What does infringed mean to you folks?

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

I think it's odd too that you think that me as a Liberal believes that an ID should not be required to vote. What BS.

What does projection mean to you...?

Yes, the liberal hypocrisy is astounding...

31At the GUN SHOW today... - Page 2 Empty Re: At the GUN SHOW today... 1/14/2013, 12:37 am

Sal

Sal

PkrBum wrote:
Sal wrote:
PkrBum wrote:I think it's odd too that leftists don't think an ID should be required to vote... but think we should have background checks.

See the Voting Rights Act of 1965.

See the bill of rights and get back to me on "infringed"... Leftist.

Must I spell out the difference?

C'mon libertarian man, you like to pretend to be smart.

lol

32At the GUN SHOW today... - Page 2 Empty Re: At the GUN SHOW today... 1/14/2013, 12:42 am

Sal wrote:
PkrBum wrote:
Sal wrote:

See the Voting Rights Act of 1965.

See the bill of rights and get back to me on "infringed"... Leftist.

Must I spell out the difference?

C'mon libertarian man, you like to pretend to be smart.

lol

Yes... You must. I guess I'm not as smart as you think I pretend to be. You must have loved the patriot act and ndaa.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum