Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Someone Needs to Explain to FAUX News How Money Works

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Sal

Sal

Check out the graphics.

Morons ...

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Sal wrote:Someone Needs to Explain to FAUX News How Money Works

No doubt. But someone also needs to explain to FAUX ME why this trillion dollar coin idea is not the goofiest thing I've heard of since MacGyver went off the air. In fact, I don't even think the Professor on Gilligan's Island had an idea as goofy as this is.

boards of FL

boards of FL

Bob wrote:

No doubt. But someone also needs to explain to FAUX ME why this trillion dollar coin idea is not the goofiest thing I've heard of since MacGyver went off the air. In fact, I don't even think the Professor on Gilligan's Island had an idea as goofy as this is.

Well, now that you mention it, if MacGyver were currently president and found himself in the current debt ceiling situation, don't you think he would fashion a trillion dollar coin in the 11th hour and save the day? If that isn't MacGyver, what is?

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

boards of FL wrote:
Bob wrote:

Well, now that you mention it, if MacGyver were currently president and found himself in the current debt ceiling situation, don't you think he would fashion a trillion dollar coin in the 11th hour and save the day? If that isn't MacGyver, what is?
Yes I absolutely do believe the trillion dollar coin is about as MacGyver'esque as it gets.
But it's my understanding that MacGyver and MacGyver's solutions to shit were fictional in nature. If the politicians who came up with this are fictional characters and the U.S. Government and it's debt is all a work of fiction, then I guess it might work.
But aside from that possibility, I wouldn't pin too much hope on it making much sense. lol

Sal

Sal

Bob wrote:

It's kinda goofy.

Not as goofy as letting Congress approve tax and spending bills that ensure a huge budget deficit (tax and spending bills the president is legally required to implement BTW), and then letting Congress refuse to grant the president authority to borrow, preventing him from carrying out his legal duties and provoking a possibly catastrophic default.

The Fed snaps its fingers and creates billions out of thin air all of the time. The platinum coin solution is no goofier than that, unless you think money is just goofy.

If that's the case, you can send all of your money to me.

LOL.

The president's insistence that Washington doesn't have a spending problem, Mr. Boehner says, is predicated on the belief that massive federal deficits stem from what Mr. Obama called "a health-care problem." Mr. Boehner says that after he recovered from his astonishment—"They blame all of the fiscal woes on our health-care system"—he replied: "Clearly we have a health-care problem, which is about to get worse with ObamaCare. But, Mr. President, we have a very serious spending problem." He repeated this message so often, he says, that toward the end of the negotiations, the president became irritated and said: "I'm getting tired of hearing you say that."

These are the people y'all think are going to solve problems?

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Pkr,

I think you and I both agree that there is no solution to the problem. There might have been a solution in the past but we're beyond that now.
Our economy is now so dependent on federal spending that any meaningful and significant reduction in federal spending will throw us into recession and possibly a deep recession.
And we're now so far down the rabbit hole that increasing revenues is not a solution either simply because the debt and deficit now so outstrips the ability of taxpayers to pay for it. It won't be long before we can no longer even service the existing debt and we're still adding to it at unprecedented levels.
Our government is now like a family with decreasing family income while the family is maxed out on credit cards and other debts. All it can do is try to get more credit cards to temporarily stave off the inevitable insolvency.
Like the family who's breadwinner is hoping to get a better job to provide more income as a solution, our government thinks it's going to grow more and better jobs too and those jobs will provide the income to cope with the growing debt.
But the fallacy of that is we can see nothing on the horizon which points to a job recovery for the foreseeable future. And in the absence of that, we just keep spending and spending and digging the debt hole deeper and deeper.
Our economy was once prosperous enough to be able to live with government waste and inefficiency and government living beyond it's means. But those days are now behind us.
The only "solution" I see is inevitable insolvency and then we try to rebuild from the ashes.

"if you choose to live above your means... sooner or later you must live beneath your means". I don't know who said that.

I wonder if all those countries we've given aid to will help us out?

Sal

Sal

Bob wrote:Pkr,

Our government is now like a family with decreasing family income while the family is maxed out on credit cards and other debts. All it can do is try to get more credit cards to temporarily stave off the inevitable insolvency.
Like the family who's breadwinner is hoping to get a better job to provide more income as a solution, our government thinks it's going to grow more and better jobs too and those jobs will provide the income to cope with the growing debt.

The federal budget is in no way analogous to a household budget.

The only "solution" I see is inevitable insolvency and then we try to rebuild from the ashes.

There will be no day of reckoning, and no final piper-paying date for the sovereign United States government.

Someone Needs to Explain to FAUX News How Money Works 01101210

The deficit is not a problem.

Never has been.

Deficit hawks really only care about tax cuts for rich people, raiding SSI, and kicking the have-nots in the teeth, all while taxing poor and middle class people enough to keep the defense industry rich.

Unemployment is the real problem with our economy, and no one's talking about it.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

"The federal budget is in no way analogous to a household budget."

Actually that's true. If any family budget was as fucked up as the government budget is now, that family would have been in bankruptcy long ago.

"Deficit hawks really only care about tax cuts for rich people, raiding SSI, and kicking the have-nots in the teeth, all while taxing poor and middle class people enough to keep the defense industry rich."

Well I guess you've nailed me. All I care about is keeping rich people from paying taxes, raiding social security, and making poor and middle class people pay for more military. I cannot deny it longer.

Sal

Sal

Bob wrote:

Well I guess you've nailed me. All I care about is keeping rich people from paying taxes, raiding social security, and making poor and middle class people pay for more military. I cannot deny it longer.

No, Bob.

I was referring to the deficit hawks in DC.

You know, the ones who duped you into believing the federal budget is analogous to a household budget.

LOL

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Sal wrote:
The deficit is not a problem.

I see you're in agreement with Dick Cheney.

"Reagan proved that deficits don't matter"
-- Dick Cheney

Funny how deficits only matter when the president of the other party is the one running up the deficits. Damndest economic principle I've ever seen. lol

The lowest earners in this country live a life of privilege compared to the vast majority in the world... but pay no income taxes.

The top half of earners in this country pay nearly all of the income taxes... this "fair share" crap has a target audience.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Sal wrote:

No, Bob.

I was referring to the deficit hawks in DC.

You know, the ones who duped you into believing the federal budget is analogous to a household budget.

LOL
It wasn't "deficit hawks in DC" who taught me arithmetic, Sal.
I learned arithmetic from being a sole proprieter for 40 years. Believe me, that is the best education you can get about money and finance there is.
And one principle I learned is that you can only get away with spending more than you take in for so long before that strategy eventually bites you in the ass. It's not a lot different than treading water in the ocean. Sooner or later you gonna drown.
And even as phenomenally brilliant as they are, not even the obamas and paloosis and reids are brilliant enough to defy the laws of arithmetic and get away with it forever.

Sal

Sal

Bob wrote:
I learned arithmetic from being a sole proprieter for 40 years. Believe me, that is the best education you can get about money and finance there is.
And one principle I learned is that you can only get away with spending more than you take in for so long before that strategy eventually bites you in the ass. It's not a lot different than treading water in the ocean. Sooner or later you gonna drown.
And even as phenomenally brilliant as they are, not even the obamas and paloosis and reids are brilliant enough to defy the laws of arithmetic and get away with it forever.

Start here, Bob ...

1. The US federal government is 221 years old, if we date its birth to the adoption of the Constitution. Arguably, that is about as good a date as we can find, since the Constitution established a common market in the US, forbade states from interfering with interstate trade (for example, through taxation), gave to the federal government the power to levy and collect taxes, and reserved for the federal government the power to create money, to regulate its value, and to fix standards of weight and measurement-from whence our money of account, the dollar, comes. I don’t know any head of household with such an apparently indefinitely long lifespan. This might appear irrelevant, but it is not. When you die, your debts and assets need to be assumed and resolved. There is no “day of reckoning”, no final piper-paying date for the sovereign government. Nor do I know any household with the power to levy taxes, to give a name to — and issue — the currency we use, and to demand that those taxes are paid in the currency it issues.

2. With one brief exception, the federal government has been in debt every year since 1776. In January 1835, for the first and only time in U.S. history, the public debt was retired, and a budget surplus was maintained for the next two years in order to accumulate what Treasury Secretary Levi Woodbury called “a fund to meet future deficits.” In 1837 the economy collapsed into a deep depression that drove the budget into deficit, and the federal government has been in debt ever since. Since 1776 there have been exactly seven periods of substantial budget surpluses and significant reduction of the debt. From 1817 to 1821 the national debt fell by 29 percent; from 1823 to 1836 it was eliminated (Jackson’s efforts); from 1852 to 1857 it fell by 59 percent, from 1867 to 1873 by 27 percent, from 1880 to 1893 by more than 50 percent, and from 1920 to 1930 by about a third. Of course, the last time we ran a budget surplus was during the Clinton years. I do not know any household that has been able to run budget deficits for approximately 190 out of the past 230-odd years, and to accumulate debt virtually nonstop since 1837.

3. The United States has also experienced six periods of depression. The depressions began in 1819, 1837, 1857, 1873, 1893, and 1929. (Do you see any pattern? Take a look at the dates listed above.) With the exception of the Clinton surpluses, every significant reduction of the outstanding debt has been followed by a depression, and every depression has been preceded by significant debt reduction. The Clinton surplus was followed by the Bush recession, a speculative euphoria, and then the collapse in which we now find ourselves. The jury is still out on whether we might manage to work this up to yet another great depression. While we cannot rule out coincidences, seven surpluses followed by six and a half depressions (with some possibility for making it the perfect seven) should raise some eyebrows. And, by the way, our less serious downturns have almost always been preceded by reductions of federal budget deficits. I don’t know of any case of a national depression caused by a household budget surplus.

4. The federal government is the issuer of our currency. Its IOUs are always accepted in payment. Government actually spends by crediting bank deposits (and credits the reserves of those banks); if you don’t want a bank deposit, government will give you cash; if you don’t want cash it will give you a treasury bond. People will work, sell, panhandle, lie, cheat, steal, and even kill to obtain the government’s dollars. I wish my IOUs were so desirable. I don’t know any household that is able to spend by crediting bank deposits and reserves, or by issuing currency. OK, some counterfeiters try, but they go to jail.

5. Some claim that if the government continues to run deficits, some day the dollar’s value will fall due to inflation; or its value will depreciate relative to foreign currencies. But only a moron would refuse to accept dollars today on the belief that at some unknown date in the hypothetical and distant future their value might be less than today’s value. If you have dollars you don’t want, please send them to me. Note that even if we accept that budget deficits can lead to currency devaluation, that is another obvious distinguishing characteristic: my household’s spending in excess of income won’t reduce the purchasing power of the dollar by any measurable amount.

http://rooseveltinstitute.org/new-roosevelt/federal-budget-not-household-budget-here-s-why

Sal

Sal

PkrBum wrote:The lowest earners in this country live a life of privilege compared to the vast majority in the world... but pay no income taxes.

The top half of earners in this country pay nearly all of the income taxes... this "fair share" crap has a target audience.

Is this the 47% I've heard so much about?

Yes, please continue with that line of attack.

What could go wrong?

LMAO

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

"From 1817 to 1821 the national debt fell by 29 percent; from 1823 to
1836 it was eliminated (Jackson’s efforts); from 1852 to 1857 it fell by
59 percent, from 1867 to 1873 by 27 percent, from 1880 to 1893 by more
than 50 percent, and from 1920 to 1930 by about a third."

That's why it's different from all that now, Sal. No one, not any progressive politician in Washington, not any progressive pundit in Washington, and not Obama, is even suggesting that anything can be done to reduce the $16 trillion debt we have now. The best case scenario any of them have is only to stabilize and possibly reduce the amount which is being added to the debt each year. And none of those proposals even claim to accomplish that before about ten years out.We're no longer living in the 1800's or the 1900's, Sal. None of that applies anymore. Just as what was the case in southern Europe in the long ago past doesn't mitigate what's happening to it now either.All that crap you quoted is now just useless political rhetoric.

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

PkrBum wrote:The lowest earners in this country live a life of privilege compared to the vast majority in the world... but pay no income taxes.

Look at that chart and tell me we're talking about half of people who don't pay taxes and half who do. It's quite a bit more complicated than that. There has been a continuous trend in this country of dollars flowing to those at the very tippy top of the heap AT THE EXPENSE of those in less fortunate circumstances and often those people are "compensated" for doing little or nothing "earn" their fortunes. Yet you belittle the people who work 40 or more hours per week at a job that requires real labor because they don't earn enough to pay into the system and may actually receive a credit to help them feed and clothe their children. I don't understand that attitude.

Sal wrote:
Bob wrote:

Start here, Bob ...

1. The US federal government is 221 years old, if we date its birth to the adoption of the Constitution. Arguably, that is about as good a date as we can find, since the Constitution established a common market in the US, forbade states from interfering with interstate trade (for example, through taxation), gave to the federal government the power to levy and collect taxes, and reserved for the federal government the power to create money, to regulate its value, and to fix standards of weight and measurement-from whence our money of account, the dollar, comes. I don’t know any head of household with such an apparently indefinitely long lifespan. This might appear irrelevant, but it is not. When you die, your debts and assets need to be assumed and resolved. There is no “day of reckoning”, no final piper-paying date for the sovereign government. Nor do I know any household with the power to levy taxes, to give a name to — and issue — the currency we use, and to demand that those taxes are paid in the currency it issues.

2. With one brief exception, the federal government has been in debt every year since 1776. In January 1835, for the first and only time in U.S. history, the public debt was retired, and a budget surplus was maintained for the next two years in order to accumulate what Treasury Secretary Levi Woodbury called “a fund to meet future deficits.” In 1837 the economy collapsed into a deep depression that drove the budget into deficit, and the federal government has been in debt ever since. Since 1776 there have been exactly seven periods of substantial budget surpluses and significant reduction of the debt. From 1817 to 1821 the national debt fell by 29 percent; from 1823 to 1836 it was eliminated (Jackson’s efforts); from 1852 to 1857 it fell by 59 percent, from 1867 to 1873 by 27 percent, from 1880 to 1893 by more than 50 percent, and from 1920 to 1930 by about a third. Of course, the last time we ran a budget surplus was during the Clinton years. I do not know any household that has been able to run budget deficits for approximately 190 out of the past 230-odd years, and to accumulate debt virtually nonstop since 1837.

3. The United States has also experienced six periods of depression. The depressions began in 1819, 1837, 1857, 1873, 1893, and 1929. (Do you see any pattern? Take a look at the dates listed above.) With the exception of the Clinton surpluses, every significant reduction of the outstanding debt has been followed by a depression, and every depression has been preceded by significant debt reduction. The Clinton surplus was followed by the Bush recession, a speculative euphoria, and then the collapse in which we now find ourselves. The jury is still out on whether we might manage to work this up to yet another great depression. While we cannot rule out coincidences, seven surpluses followed by six and a half depressions (with some possibility for making it the perfect seven) should raise some eyebrows. And, by the way, our less serious downturns have almost always been preceded by reductions of federal budget deficits. I don’t know of any case of a national depression caused by a household budget surplus.

4. The federal government is the issuer of our currency. Its IOUs are always accepted in payment. Government actually spends by crediting bank deposits (and credits the reserves of those banks); if you don’t want a bank deposit, government will give you cash; if you don’t want cash it will give you a treasury bond. People will work, sell, panhandle, lie, cheat, steal, and even kill to obtain the government’s dollars. I wish my IOUs were so desirable. I don’t know any household that is able to spend by crediting bank deposits and reserves, or by issuing currency. OK, some counterfeiters try, but they go to jail.

5. Some claim that if the government continues to run deficits, some day the dollar’s value will fall due to inflation; or its value will depreciate relative to foreign currencies. But only a moron would refuse to accept dollars today on the belief that at some unknown date in the hypothetical and distant future their value might be less than today’s value. If you have dollars you don’t want, please send them to me. Note that even if we accept that budget deficits can lead to currency devaluation, that is another obvious distinguishing characteristic: my household’s spending in excess of income won’t reduce the purchasing power of the dollar by any measurable amount.

http://rooseveltinstitute.org/new-roosevelt/federal-budget-not-household-budget-here-s-why

You should continue... why was the federal reserve created? Why was the gold standard abandoned?

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

Bob wrote:"From 1817 to 1821 the national debt fell by 29 percent; from 1823 to
1836 it was eliminated (Jackson’s efforts); from 1852 to 1857 it fell by
59 percent, from 1867 to 1873 by 27 percent, from 1880 to 1893 by more
than 50 percent, and from 1920 to 1930 by about a third."

That's why it's different from all that now, Sal. No one, not any progressive politician in Washington, not any progressive pundit in Washington, and not Obama, is even suggesting that anything can be done to reduce the $16 trillion debt we have now. The best case scenario any of them have is only to stabilize and possibly reduce the amount which is being added to the debt each year. And none of those proposals even claim to accomplish that before about ten years out.We're no longer living in the 1800's or the 1900's, Sal. None of that applies anymore. Just as what was the case in southern Europe in the long ago past doesn't mitigate what's happening to it now either.All that crap you quoted is now just useless political rhetoric.

Where in God's name was all this deficit discussion when Bush was in office? Practically nonexistent. The only reason the debt ceiling and the deficit are "serious" matters now is that there's not a Republican in the White House.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Floridatexan wrote:

Where in God's name was all this deficit discussion when Bush was in office? Practically nonexistent. The only reason the debt ceiling and the deficit are "serious" matters now is that there's not a Republican in the White House.
You nailed it. I only worry about democrat debt. I love republican debt and that's because Bush was a Christian and Obama is a muslim. I just believe in my heart of hearts that a Christian like Bush would never do us wrong since he's doing the work of Jesus.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum