Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Does anyone know of a seamstress who works our of her home and doesn't charge much?

+6
Watcher
Nekochan
ZVUGKTUBM
gulfbeachbandit
PBulldog2
Hospital Bob
10 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

I just have a couple of pair of pants which I need shortened?
If you can recommend someone please PM me.

PBulldog2

PBulldog2

There used to be a seamstress who worked at the dry cleaning place on the northeast corner of Fairfield and Ninth. She was pretty good, and charged a reasonable price.

gulfbeachbandit

gulfbeachbandit

Bob wrote:I just have a couple of pair of pants which I need shortened?

Bob,

Are you shrinking?

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

PB,

Thanks, I'll check that out.

ghandi,

I bought some pants at thrift stores that I really like. They fit me like a glove in the waist but need the length taken up a little.

gulfbeachbandit

gulfbeachbandit

Bob wrote:PB,

ghandi,

I bought some pants at thrift stores that I really like. They fit me like a glove in the waist but need the length taken up a little.

What size?
I have a ton of clothes I'd like to pass off to someone.
And yes, they're clean.
I also have some of my old Navy uniforms incase you want to dress up like a Sailor.

Rose Nguyen Alteration on Z and Cervantes. Not real cheap but they do good work. Friends of mine. Tell them I said hello if you happen to go. Old guy from the shipyard.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Ghandi,

Thanks much for the offer but I've got a ton of pants so pretty well covered on it. It's just that I have a couple pair of cargo pants that I really like except for the length.

hallmark,

That's where I went the last time and I was trying to find something a little cheaper. When you pay two bucks for a pair of pants it's just too hard to pay five times that for an alteration. But I imagine that's probably as cheap as anybody now. lol

Maybe not. You used to see little signs all over for sewing but I guess that might be a thing of the past. Maybe a Craigslist ad might turn up some one. Those folks at Roses have a hell of story to tell.

gulfbeachbandit

gulfbeachbandit

Bob,

It might be cheaper to use your health care and have your leggs surgically lenthened instead of paying to have your pants shortened.

Why do I have to think of everything?

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

Ah, do the work yourself. Cut 'em off with scissors and wear them as cut-offs.

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

Nekochan

Nekochan

Bob, just hem them yourself. All you need is a needle and thread that matches the color of the pants. Most pants aren't that difficult to hem if you aren't super particular about how they turn out. Most people aren't going to pay much attention to the hem in your pants anyway.

gulfbeachbandit

gulfbeachbandit

Try stitch witchery. It's an iron on hem. Like duct tape for pants.
I've used it before. You can get it at walmart.

Nekochan wrote:Bob, just hem them yourself. All you need is a needle and thread that matches the color of the pants. Most pants aren't that difficult to hem if you aren't super particular about how they turn out. Most people aren't going to pay much attention to the hem in your pants anyway.

I disagree, Neko. I once got busted at work by some of the guys while I was in the midst of repairing the hem on a pair of dress pants with duct tape. They never let me forget it.

I have many talents, but sewing is NOT one of them.

For my Carhartts I just cut them off at the bottom like Z said.

Bob wrote:I just have a couple of pair of pants which I need shortened?

I just happen to know someone who works out of her home cheap and will shorten your leg. Razz

Nekochan

Nekochan

riceme wrote:
Nekochan wrote:Bob, just hem them yourself. All you need is a needle and thread that matches the color of the pants. Most pants aren't that difficult to hem if you aren't super particular about how they turn out. Most people aren't going to pay much attention to the hem in your pants anyway.

I disagree, Neko. I once got busted at work by some of the guys while I was in the midst of repairing the hem on a pair of dress pants with duct tape. They never let me forget it.

I have many talents, but sewing is NOT one of them.

For my Carhartts I just cut them off at the bottom like Z said.

Oh Gosh, sewing is not a talent of mine at all! My mother could sew. She made most of my clothes when I was a little kid. But I don't sew. I can replace a button or hem a pair of cotton slacks. But if I had dress pants for my work, I would pay someone to hem them so that they would look nice. Dress pants, depending on the material, can be tricky. But if they're casual cotton/blend pants, I would hem them myself. Especially if I only paid a couple of bucks for them!

What I really, really hate...is ironing. A requirement for hubby's work clothes is that they are wrinkle free, wash and wear. And I don't buy anything for myself that will need ironing.

Watcher

Watcher

Baker's Alterations on Creighton Road across from Tech Advanced. It's west of the Walmart on Creighton.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Ghandi wrote:Try stitch witchery. It's an iron on hem. Like duct tape for pants.
I've used it before. You can get it at walmart.
I found this youtube on it. This feller is a little light in the loafers but it does look easy. I'll pick up some of it tomorrow and try it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsCoS-DtT6w

Nekochan wrote:

Oh Gosh, sewing is not a talent of mine at all! My mother could sew. She made most of my clothes when I was a little kid. But I don't sew. I can replace a button or hem a pair of cotton slacks. But if I had dress pants for my work, I would pay someone to hem them so that they would look nice. Dress pants, depending on the material, can be tricky. But if they're casual cotton/blend pants, I would hem them myself. Especially if I only paid a couple of bucks for them!

What I really, really hate...is ironing. A requirement for hubby's work clothes is that they are wrinkle free, wash and wear. And I don't buy anything for myself that will need ironing.

As you know, my mom is quite the seamstress... as are my sisters, and my dad can sew circles around me as well, but he mostly works with leather. As many times as I have told her that I cannot sew to save my own life she just doesn't get it. For Christmas this year she got me some fancy sewing gear. She just keeps trying! lol.

All I can do is darn a sock or sew a button back on... that's my limit. And the buttons always look... just WRONG. lol. I don't mind ironing at all. In fact, it's one of those chores that I can just kind of zone out and I can daydream while I'm doing it. Probably from all the years I spent ironing in my folks' basement. ha ha.

Looks like I need to invest in some of that stitch witch stuff Ghandi mentioned. Had I only knew before now! Embarassed

riceme wrote:All I can do is darn a sock

My idea of darning a sock is to say "darn" (as I throw it in the trash can.)

Yella

Yella

Bob wrote:PB,

ghandi,

You might consider buying yourself some really high heeled cowboy boots.You will have a twofold benefit if you do. You can quit searching for a seamstress and you will have gained huge self esteem by being taller than the average NBA point guard.

http://warpedinblue,blogspot.com/

Yomama wrote:
riceme wrote:All I can do is darn a sock

My idea of darning a sock is to say "darn" (as I throw it in the trash can.)

I'll only make the effort to darn my nice wool socks and the socks I wear with my (dirt bike) riding boots (also wool). Cotton socks: I generally wear the same kind, so I'll just wear them mismatched. Hey, it's not like anyone ever sees them, right? Well, that's not entirely true. Az once saw me in the comfort of my own home wearing a short dress with a pair of cowgirl boots and one pink and purple striped knee sock and one argyle knee sock. She gave me no END of grief about it for years! Razz

Yella wrote:

You might consider buying yourself some really high heeled cowboy boots.You will have a twofold benefit if you do. You can quit searching for a seamstress and you will have gained huge self esteem by being taller than the average NBA point guard.

EXXXCELLENT suggestion, Yeller! I can make some suggestions, as I am quite the boot-whore.

Shocked

Sal

Sal

Nekochan wrote:

LMAO

One time a neighbor came to our door and asked to borrow an iron.

My son answered, "An iron what?".

Needless to say, we don't iron at our house.

Sal wrote:

LMAO

One time a neighbor came to our door and asked to borrow an iron.

My son answered, "An iron what?".

Needless to say, we don't iron at our house.

That is HI-larious, Sally. Classic.

When I was at Fort Devan in Army school they had sewing machines that you could use. They had some people who would show you how to thread the machine and make a simple stitch. Most of us had just come from basic training and our uniforms were very baggy and ill fitting. You just turned them inside out and ran a locking seam and then cut off the excess. It was not too hard and we all worked together to "custom" fit our uniforms. Some guys were very good and were able to make a few extra dollars tailoring uniforms.

At School they bitched all the time about uniforms not being "Crisp" or looking wilted. It was a big racket. It cost a lot to get the laundry to do them. So we learned to do it our selves. Spray starch, a iron and blanket on a foot locker were tools of the trade. Worked great, just took a lot of time.

We used to play poker almost every night. Nickel/dime 3 bump limit but we only made about 80 dollars a month so it was big money.
One guy was the worlds best person and the worlds worse poker player. His name was Mangus. He went broke very early every month but he loved to play. So....... He started his own laundry. He would take trash cans and fill them with hot boiling water and add copious amounts of Argo Starch. He then dipped the uniforms in the red hot solution and hung them out to dry. Then he would iron them for 75 cents a shirt or pair on pants. He added so much starch that the uniforms were like cardboard. LOL But damn they were "Crisp" Soon Mangus stuff was prefered over any other laundry. he had so much business he let guys iron for him on a piece work setup. If someone need to go get a beer they could just iron for Mangus and make a few buck. It was funny to see a bunch of hard nose guys all ironing like washer women. He made a lot of money for a bucks down guy from Arizona. I left before him so I lost rack of where he went. Most everyone had orders for the far East and I doubt if he was any exception.

So thats how i learned to sew and starch and iron.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum