Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Another Shooter - 2 Firefighters Dead, 2 Firefighters Wounded, At Least 3 Houses Burned to the Ground

+5
2seaoat
bghlaw0371
Hospital Bob
Joanimaroni
Sal
9 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Sal

Sal

At least two Webster firefighters are dead, and three houses on Lake Road continue to burn after one or more shooters opened fire on firefighters who responded to an early morning blaze, officials said.

Two other firefighters are in guarded condition at Strong Memorial Hospital with gunshot wounds, according to a hospital spokeswoman.

There are no active shooters at the scene and firefighters have resumed battling the blazes, according to a news conference held at 9:40 a.m. by Sheriff Patrick O’Flynn.

The fire broke out at 5:45 a.m. at 191 Lake Road on the Irondequoit Bay side of the street.

Webster Police Chief Gerald Pickering said shots were fired at West Webster firefighters when they arrived on the scene. Four firefighters were hit, two fatally.

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/article/20121224/NEWS01/312240026/webster-shooting?odyssey=mod|breaking|text|Home&nclick_check=1

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Sal wrote:At least two Webster firefighters are dead, and three houses on Lake Road continue to burn after one or more shooters opened fire on firefighters who responded to an early morning blaze, officials said.

Two other firefighters are in guarded condition at Strong Memorial Hospital with gunshot wounds, according to a hospital spokeswoman.

There are no active shooters at the scene and firefighters have resumed battling the blazes, according to a news conference held at 9:40 a.m. by Sheriff Patrick O’Flynn.

The fire broke out at 5:45 a.m. at 191 Lake Road on the Irondequoit Bay side of the street.

Webster Police Chief Gerald Pickering said shots were fired at West Webster firefighters when they arrived on the scene. Four firefighters were hit, two fatally.

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/article/20121224/NEWS01/312240026/webster-shooting?odyssey=mod|breaking|text|Home&nclick_check=1

Another low-life steps forward for his claim to fame.

My thoughts and prayers go out to the families of the Firemen.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

I cannot even conceive of what a motive could be for mowing down firefighters trying to fight a house fire. That's just as insane as the school shooting.
The insanity level in this country must now be off the scale.

bghlaw0371

Bob wrote:I cannot even conceive of what a motive could be for mowing down firefighters trying to fight a house fire. That's just as insane as the school shooting.
The insanity level in this country must now be off the scale.

It really is. I wouldn't have an issue with an additional tax of some sort to provide armed protection to fire fighters and EMTs. An ambush could still occur as it can when police respond, but it couldn't hurt.

2seaoat

Guns and autos are inherently dangerous. They require reasonable safety rules which are designed to save lives in America. We have shown where a concerted effort in auto safety over the last 50 years has saved lives. The Auto manufacturers fought tooth and nail at first. Now, most of the great safety innovation is coming from the manufacturers. The gun manufacturers and the NRA often take to short of a view. Gun safety is good for their business, and instead using each shooting incident as a moment to market the sale of more guns.....they should be focusing on safety. Biometric trigger locks and chips will not save every child and fireman in America.....but if it can make it more difficult for a the unstable and illegal use of weapons in America.....lets begin the process.

2seaoat

It really is. I wouldn't have an issue with an additional tax of some sort to provide armed protection to fire fighters and EMTs. An ambush could still occur as it can when police respond, but it couldn't hurt.

Now the NRA answer to gun violence is to have our firefighters armed on a fire call. The truth is that LEO is often right there when a fire call goes out, and it still will not stop a person from killing with a gun.......more guns is not the answer. It simply is time for reasonable people to focus on gun safety and vehicle safety........this is not going to get better any time soon.

2seaoat wrote:Guns and autos are inherently dangerous. They require reasonable safety rules which are designed to save lives in America. We have shown where a concerted effort in auto safety over the last 50 years has saved lives. The Auto manufacturers fought tooth and nail at first. Now, most of the great safety innovation is coming from the manufacturers. The gun manufacturers and the NRA often take to short of a view. Gun safety is good for their business, and instead using each shooting incident as a moment to market the sale of more guns.....they should be focusing on safety. Biometric trigger locks and chips will not save every child and fireman in America.....but if it can make it more difficult for a the unstable and illegal use of weapons in America.....lets begin the process.

How would your solution have saved these firemen if this was a trap set by the gunman or gunmen with legally registered weapons and they just went off the deep end? There is no solution in the world that would have prevented a scenario such as this.

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

Saw a new movie last night called Jack Reacher. It was about a sniper from Iraq that went nuts and randomly killed 5 innocent people back in the States. he had gotten away with wanton killing in Iraq. The whole story hinged on a conspiracy. All the time they were playing on the fear of insane troops....They may be looking to build a case on keeping guns out of veterans hands.....

Last edited by TEOTWAWKI on 12/24/2012, 1:04 pm; edited 1 time in total

bghlaw0371

2seaoat wrote:It really is. I wouldn't have an issue with an additional tax of some sort to provide armed protection to fire fighters and EMTs. An ambush could still occur as it can when police respond, but it couldn't hurt.

Now the NRA answer to gun violence is to have our firefighters armed on a fire call. The truth is that LEO is often right there when a fire call goes out, and it still will not stop a person from killing with a gun.......more guns is not the answer. It simply is time for reasonable people to focus on gun safety and vehicle safety........this is not going to get better any time soon.

I don't represent the NRA. I didn't say to arm the Fire Fighters. I wouldn't have a problem with them being armed with proper training. I understand that the police are often called to assist, but in a different capacity than what I was intending.

I agree that gun safety should be focused on.

Read the post. Read Bob's post. I don't think you'll find a lot of disagreement there Soat.

no stress

no stress

Updated story

Shooting at New York House Fire, Two Firefighters Killed
Four Firefighters Shot on Arrival in Webster
inShare
[Pin It]
Published Monday, December 24, 2012

Latest Updates: 11:50a Press Conference

Two other firefighters sustained serious injuries, listed in guarded condition.
One of the deceased firefighters was also a Police Lieutenant with the town, lifelong firefighter.
Police Chief reports it does look like a trap was set for responders.
Names being released shortly.
The shooter is believed to be deceased at the scene -- there is no active shooter at this time. Gunman died from gunshot wound, possibly self-inflicted.
First responding police officers did engage shooter.

Live Audio Link, courtesy of RadioReference.com

Live Video, MSNBC

WEBSTER, N.Y. (AP) - Four volunteer firefighters responding to an intense pre-dawn house fire were shot Monday morning, two fatally, leading to a shootout between a suspect and police in suburban Rochester, N.Y., police said.

"One or more shooters" fired at the firefighters when they arrived shortly after 5:30 a.m. at the blaze near the Lake Ontario shore, just east of Rochester, Town of Webster Police Chief Gerald Pickering said.

The first Webster police officer who arrived exchanged gunfire with a shooter, Monroe County Sheriff Patrick O'Flynn said. Police would not give details on the whereabouts of a suspect, with O'Flynn saying only there was no active shooter at the scene later Monday morning.

The two wounded firefighters were in critical condition at a Rochester hospital, O'Flynn said.

The West Webster Fire District early Monday received a report of a car and house on fire on Lake Road, on a narrow peninsula where Irondequoit Bay meets Lake Ontario, O'Flynn said.

The fire started in one home and spread to two others and a car, officials said. The fire appeared from a distance as a pulsating ball of flame glowing against the early morning sky, flames licking into treetops and reflecting on the water, with huge bursts of smoke billowing away in a brisk wind.

The gunfire initially kept firefighters from battling the blazes, but they were doing so late Monday morning, officials said.

Monday's shooting and fires occurred in a neighborhood of seasonal and year-round homes set close together across the road from the lakeshore. The area is popular with recreational boaters but is normally quiet this time of year, O'Flynn said.

O'Flynn lamented the violence, which comes on the heels of other shootings including the massacre of 20 students and six adults at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Conn.

"It's sad to see that that this is becoming more commonplace in communities across the nation," O'Flynn said.

Webster, a middle-class, lakeside suburb, now is the scene of violence linked to house fires for two Decembers in a row.

bghlaw0371

TEOTWAWKI wrote:Saw a new movie last night called Jack Reacher. It was about a sniper from Iraq that went nuts and randomly killed 5 innocent people. The whole story hinged on a conspiracy. All the time they were playing on the fear of insane troops....They may be looking to build a case on keeping guns out of veterans hands.....

Read the Reacher series books...pretty good. Hard to believe Tom as Reacher once you've read a few of the books.

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

bghlaw0371 wrote:
TEOTWAWKI wrote:Saw a new movie last night called Jack Reacher. It was about a sniper from Iraq that went nuts and randomly killed 5 innocent people. The whole story hinged on a conspiracy. All the time they were playing on the fear of insane troops....They may be looking to build a case on keeping guns out of veterans hands.....

Read the Reacher series books...pretty good. Hard to believe Tom as Reacher once you've read a few of the books.

it was a good movie. Kind of like Mission Impossible...

bghlaw0371

TEOTWAWKI wrote:
bghlaw0371 wrote:

it was a good movie. Kind of like Mission Impossible...

I'll try to see it after the holiday rush @ the movies dies down.

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

the girl I was with likes Tom ...She said I looked like Robert Duvall..he plays a wornout grizzled old marine in the flick....I would rather look like Tom ....LOL.

bghlaw0371

TEOTWAWKI wrote:the girl I was with likes Tom ...She said I looked like Robert Duvall..he plays a wornout grizzled old marine in the flick....I would rather look like Tom ....LOL.

In the book Reacher is 6'5" and 230 - 250 lbs, mid 30's. How they went from that to Tom is probably due to Tom producing the movie.

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

bghlaw0371 wrote:
TEOTWAWKI wrote:the girl I was with likes Tom ...She said I looked like Robert Duvall..he plays a wornout grizzled old marine in the flick....I would rather look like Tom ....LOL.

In the book Reacher is 6'5" and 230 - 250 lbs, mid 30's. How they went from that to Tom is probably due to Tom producing the movie.

yeah i got a chuckle out of my date when Tom walked into a crowded bar... I whispered to her, look at that, a whole bar full of short people.....she thought it was funny.

PBulldog2

PBulldog2

Robert Duvall is one of my two favorite actors. Anthony Hopkins is the other. Well, let's make it three with Johnny Depp. Very Happy

Tom Cruise? Well, I guess he's OK, but he does tend to play Tom Cruise rather than his assigned character. I don't thinks he's much of an actor.

PBulldog2

PBulldog2

bghlaw0371 wrote:

Maybe it was Tom "Reacher" Cruise just trying to be tall.....again. Poor guy. He must have a complex.

I've never read the Jack Reacher series. Is it good?

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

2seaoat wrote:It really is. I wouldn't have an issue with an additional tax of some sort to provide armed protection to fire fighters and EMTs. An ambush could still occur as it can when police respond, but it couldn't hurt.

In known dangerous situations, fire and EMS stage near the area until LEO gives them the all clear.

Sal

Sal

Yes, clearly this points to the need to arm all firefighters with AR-15s and all firetrucks should be equipped with 50 caliber turret-mounted machine guns.

Where there is smoke, there is fire, and where where is gunfire, there is liberty.

no stress

no stress

Joanimaroni wrote:

In known dangerous situations, fire and EMS stage near the area until LEO gives them the all clear.

Not us...have'nt held back in 27 years. EMS routinely does

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

Sal you need to understand that a gun is exactly like money. It is neutral in it's normal state. If I give a bum a 20 dollar bill then he can buy food with it or drugs it's his decision. I realize you may want the State to take our guns AND our money because we can't be trusted with either but the arguments are ridiculous when you look at the way the state uses both guns and money to harm people.

This worship you have of the state is unhealthy.

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Sal wrote:Yes, clearly this points to the need to arm all firefighters with AR-15s and all firetrucks should be equipped with 50 caliber turret-mounted machine guns.

Where there is smoke, there is fire, and where where is gunfire, there is liberty.

Just a little overboard, Sal.

Sal

Sal

TEOTWAWKI wrote:If I give a bum a 20 dollar bill then he can buy food with it or drugs it's his decision

But, he can't go into a classroom of seven-year-olds and kill them all within seconds with it.

That's the difference.

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

Sal wrote:
TEOTWAWKI wrote:If I give a bum a 20 dollar bill then he can buy food with it or drugs it's his decision

But, he can't go into a classroom of seven-year-olds and kill them all within seconds with it.

That's the difference.

Bill drunks kill whole families in split seconds on the highway. Life is inherently dangerous. You can't protect every child.. fact is most kids should count their blessings they ever got born and became humans. They could be ground up in cosmetics somewhere....

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum