Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Why Can't America Care for the Mentally Ill? ---- Dr. Ablow

+9
Markle
no stress
Floridatexan
bghlaw0371
2seaoat
Nekochan
Sal
Joanimaroni
PBulldog2
13 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 3]

PBulldog2

PBulldog2

Dr. Ablow, a psychiatrist who writes for Fox News, tells it as it is:

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2012/12/17/why-cant-america-care-for-mentally-ill/

From the article:

Some will say that gun control is the answer, but that ignores the obvious: Too many guns isn’t the issue; too little mental health care is.

We now have a mental health care system that simply ignores those among us who suffer with incapacitating symptoms of psychiatric illness and whose suffering can—only in a very, very small percentage of cases, thankfully—lead to terrible violence.

Focusing on gun control does more than squander the time and effort of our public officials and state resources and town police forces, it distracts us dangerously from the real work that must be done.

America’s mental health care system is shattered and on its knees.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2012/12/17/why-cant-america-care-for-mentally-ill/#ixzz2FQ3zd1oW

-

Last edited by PBulldog2 on 12/18/2012, 12:51 pm; edited 1 time in total

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

PBulldog2 wrote:Dr. Ablow, a psychiatrist for Fox News, tells it as it is:

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2012/12/17/why-cant-america-care-for-mentally-ill/

From the article:

Some will say that gun control is the answer, but that ignores the obvious: Too many guns isn’t the issue; too little mental health care is.

We now have a mental health care system that simply ignores those among us who suffer with incapacitating symptoms of psychiatric illness and whose suffering can—only in a very, very small percentage of cases, thankfully—lead to terrible violence.

Focusing on gun control does more than squander the time and effort of our public officials and state resources and town police forces, it distracts us dangerously from the real work that must be done.

America’s mental health care system is shattered and on its knees.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2012/12/17/why-cant-america-care-for-mentally-ill/#ixzz2FQ3zd1oW

-

I've been waiting for your comments.

I've been waiting for your comments. great article....

After decades of deconstructing our inpatient psychiatric hospitals and community mental health centers and after decades of insurance companies demanding that they pay only for social workers and nurses to treat even the most extremely mentally ill and potentially violent individuals (rather than including psychologists and psychiatrists) we now have a mental health care system that simply ignores those among us who suffer with incapacitating symptoms of psychiatric illness and whose suffering can—only in a very, very small percentage of cases, thankfully—lead to terrible violence.

If you look back at the reports regarding all mass shooters since Columbine, the multiple mental health problems were there and ignored. Lanza had been burning himself with a lighter for over a year...and yet his mother did not see a need to seek counseling nor did she keep her extensive arsenal under lock and key.

Sal

Sal

Joanimaroni wrote:Lanza had been burning himself with a lighter for over a year...and yet his mother did not see a need to seek counseling nor did she keep her extensive arsenal under lock and key.

This is pure speculation on your part.

You have no idea what counseling or medical treatment he was receiving, and you certainly have no idea what sort of security measures she was utilizing regarding her firearms.

I've read that she was totally devoted to the care of her son, and was meticulous about firearm safety.

Adam was apparently very smart, in addition to being very disturbed, and may have devised a way to circumvent her security measures.

I know you're looking for someone to blame, but you may want to wait for the facts before casting aspersions.

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Sal wrote:
Joanimaroni wrote:Lanza had been burning himself with a lighter for over a year...and yet his mother did not see a need to seek counseling nor did she keep her extensive arsenal under lock and key.

This is pure speculation on your part.

You have no idea what counseling or medical treatment he was receiving, and you certainly have no idea what sort of security measures she was utilizing regarding her firearms. He obviously had access

I've read that she was totally devoted to the care of her son, and was meticulous about firearm safety. I read that also but that doesn't mean he was receiving professional help. This was a kid in need of help.

Adam was apparently very smart, in addition to being very disturbed, and may have devised a way to circumvent her security measures.

I know you're looking for someone to blame, but you may want to wait for the facts before casting aspersions.
I am going by reports from Mrs. Lanza's friends and others close to the family...it has been reported Adam had burned himself and that Adam was unable to feel pain/or show emotion (sociopathetic behaviour)

PBulldog2

PBulldog2

Joanimaroni wrote:

Joani, there's not a lot I can say on a public forum. However, Dr. Ablow's article is right on the mark, other than his comment about nurses prescribing medications. I'm sure he is alluding to nurse practitioners but he doesn't make that clear.

Nekochan

Nekochan

Thank you, PB.

PBulldog2

PBulldog2

Nekochan wrote:Thank you, PB.

You are welcome, Neko.

2seaoat

I think cutting funding for mental health programs is the least efficient cuts which can be made in our budgets. I had the pleasure of attending a 16 hour mental health first aid program which I hope will spread through this country like it has in Australia and now some European nations.

We need all of our citizens to better understand the spectrum of mental illness. How to identify it. How on first contact to help a person who is in need of care, and most importantly when to take steps and call authorities when a person is a risk to themselves or others. This must be a national goal. We must in our collective be able to render immediate care and referrals and have the resources allocated to address this growing and neglected problem.

However, with all that said......we still have a problem with guns and vehicles. A person who is self medicating because of mental illness and is driving drunk with a 2k lb vehicle which kills a family, should probably have had a referral, but damn......why does the car even start when we have the technology to stop that person from driving.

A troubled youth who has access to weapons can hop in the car and drive over to a school and shoot kids.....sure a referral may have saved those kids, but damn it why was he able to take guns which were not his and drive to a school to kill, when we have the technology which could stop him from driving with guns which are not on his foid card......so as much as I want more resources poured into mental health, I am angry that we think 60k dying from cars and guns....is the status quo.....nope we need to focus and work for real gun and vehicle reform which can stop even a mentally ill driver from driving a vehicle where he is not in compliance with the law.

PBulldog2

PBulldog2

2seaoat wrote:I think cutting funding for mental health programs is the least efficient cuts which can be made in our budgets. I had the pleasure of attending a 16 hour mental health first aid program which I hope will spread through this country like it has in Australia and now some European nations.

We need all of our citizens to better understand the spectrum of mental illness. How to identify it. How on first contact to help a person who is in need of care, and most importantly when to take steps and call authorities when a person is a risk to themselves or others. This must be a national goal. We must in our collective be able to render immediate care and referrals and have the resources allocated to address this growing and neglected problem.

However, with all that said......we still have a problem with guns and vehicles. A person who is self medicating because of mental illness and is driving drunk with a 2k lb vehicle which kills a family, should probably have had a referral, but damn......why does the car even start when we have the technology to stop that person from driving.

A troubled youth who has access to weapons can hop in the car and drive over to a school and shoot kids.....sure a referral may have saved those kids, but damn it why was he able to take guns which were not his and drive to a school to kill, when we have the technology which could stop him from driving with guns which are not on his foid card......so as much as I want more resources poured into mental health, I am angry that we think 60k dying from cars and guns....is the status quo.....nope we need to focus and work for real gun and vehicle reform which can stop even a mentally ill driver from driving a vehicle where he is not in compliance with the law.

Rather than focusing on identifying the severely mentally ill population for legal purposes, I think we need to focus on treating them with the assistance of the court system if absolutely necessary. Dr. Ablow makes a good point when he states the court system is not on board with requiring the seriously mentally ill population to comply with their medication regimens. The court system only becomes involved when a mentally ill person has committed a crime - not before the crime occurs.

That said, the percentage of people with mental illnesses who commit violence such as mass murder is very low, as Dr. Ablow states. We must not - we MUST NOT - label all people with mental illness as potential mass murderers. What we MUST do is revamp and rebuild mental health services so that people obtain the help they need. If we start to label all of those with mental health problems as potentially violent offenders, people with mental health issues will be much less inclined to seek or accept the help they need. We as a nation MUST not criminalize mental illness.

We cannot paint all people with disorders with the same brush. Hell, many of us have had problems and still lead productive lives. Some folks snap and it cannot reliably be predicted which ones will go off the deep end. Armchair quarterbacks point fingers and reporters insinuate failures in the system, but we do not live in a perfect world.

We cannot go back to the days of shipping people off to an asylum, ala One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, every time someone is determined to be deviate from the norm. Society cannot afford to pay for it and it is cruel to the borderline patients that can cope on the "outside".

Let's face reality... manic-depressives will go off their Lithium, patients in court-supervised programs will slip through the cracks, and people will continue to make human mistakes and misjudge the severity of another person's mental status.

Not much of a silver lining to the Newtown murders, but I hope that gun owners will take action to deny access to unstable family members. This kid was obviously troubled and his mother should have had a foolproof system to deny him access to her guns.

bghlaw0371

Yomama wrote:We cannot paint all people with disorders with the same brush. Hell, many of us have had problems and still lead productive lives. Some folks snap and it cannot reliably be predicted which ones will go off the deep end. Armchair quarterbacks point fingers and reporters insinuate failures in the system, but we do not live in a perfect world.

We cannot go back to the days of shipping people off to an asylum, ala One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, every time someone is determined to be deviate from the norm. Society cannot afford to pay for it and it is cruel to the borderline patients that can cope on the "outside".

Let's face reality... manic-depressives will go off their Lithium, patients in court-supervised programs will slip through the cracks, and people will continue to make human mistakes and misjudge the severity of another person's mental status.

Not much of a silver lining to the Newtown murders, but I hope that gun owners will take action to deny access to unstable family members. This kid was obviously troubled and his mother should have had a foolproof system to deny him access to her guns.

Good post

bghlaw0371 wrote:Good post

Thanks. I mentioned "armchair quarterbacks" pointing fingers, and my last sentence had a pointing finger to my own hindsight solution. It is hard to resist giving our own opinion on a forum...

I take Ambien to help me sleep and I restrict MY OWN ACCESS to weapons. My pistol no longer sits on the head of the bed where it can easily be grabbed by me in my sleep.

I sleepwalked one time (when I was 14 or so), but I am aware of Ambien's side effects (sleepwalking).

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

bghlaw0371 wrote:
Yomama wrote:We cannot paint all people with disorders with the same brush. Hell, many of us have had problems and still lead productive lives. Some folks snap and it cannot reliably be predicted which ones will go off the deep end. Armchair quarterbacks point fingers and reporters insinuate failures in the system, but we do not live in a perfect world.

Good post

Good post

My point...parents can not ignore signs and symptoms of a troubled child.

Joanimaroni wrote:
bghlaw0371 wrote:

Good post

Good post

Agreed. Parents many times have left the care of thier children to teachers, or tecnology. We have a moral decay in the world. I'm not talking religion, just simple morals, a detachment from human nature, life itself. A value of life.

We are seeing the results of a brainwashed society. One where there is no God, no satan to fear. Only a simple sky and dirt and a urge to satisfy the "Now".

and as far as mental health goes. I dont think additional that will help either until we address our decline as "Humans'. Why do I say that? Because I am absolutly sure that every single murderer is mental. The problem is how to pick them out. Cant do it. What will happen is a group of someones will decide what is "Normal". Then you get a label. Maybe some freedoms are taken from you. Maybe not. Who knows what could happen with this new power to view into the minds of "Future" criminals as we as a society work to encarcerate those who we have decided "MIGHT" commit a crime.

Lets not all jump at once to conclusions or we might miss the obvious.

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Good to see you, Chrissy.

PBulldog2

PBulldog2

Joanimaroni wrote:Good to see you, Chrissy.*

Yes, it is.

Good to see you both as well. I love you

I hope you and your families are safe and sound. I know they are loved because they have you. Smile

Huggles....

2seaoat

In my experience it takes training to go beyond the concept of ignoring. Rather, than parental ignoring, I think there is parental rationalization and lack of training. A parent often lacks the objectivity to make that call, and it becomes increasingly difficult for adult children with problems to have any true parental interface.

I received frantic calls from a friend that her adult son who was married and had an infant son was going to kill himself. I made a strong recommendation to go to an assistant states attorney and have her son involuntarily commited on the mental health call. The son was smart....he agreed to a 7 day voluntary evaluation at a private facility. His insurance only covered the first 7 days of his stay, and the son wanted to leave, and a therapist met the concerned mother and said that her son should never be released in his condition. The doctor released the son.....some could argue that doctor and patient had connected and the son would diligently follow his out patient treatment.....others might suggest the insurance had run out.

The son got in his car which he voluntarily drove to the mental health facility, and he proceeded to drive home to his wife and child. They estimated he was going over a 100mph when he hit the tree 25 yards off the road.....so please go easy on blaming parents of adult children with mental illness.....I have seen too much pain.....I have felt too much guilt for not insisting on involuntary commitals.....in the end as a society we all need more training and ability to identify when a person is a risk to themselves and to others.......but this idea that we are going to magically ordain expertise on parents of adult children, or that the criminal justice system every day is not interfacing with mentally ill folks is a fantasy. We need to have the political will to invest more resources in training for law enforcement, first responders, teachers, and medical personnel. Mental health first aid is growing in America, but without the commitment of resources, sadly mental illness will be criminalized, and parents will be alone and the target of blame when their adult children harm others.

PBulldog2

PBulldog2

2seaoat wrote:My point...parents can not ignore signs and symptoms of a troubled child.

In my experience it takes training to go beyond the concept of ignoring. Rather, than parental ignoring, I think there is parental rationalization and lack of training. A parent often lacks the objectivity to make that call, and it becomes increasingly difficult for adult children with problems to have any true parental interface.

I received frantic calls from a friend that her adult son who was married and had an infant son was going to kill himself. I made a strong recommendation to go to an assistant states attorney and have her son involuntarily commited on the mental health call. The son was smart....he agreed to a 7 day voluntary evaluation at a private facility. His insurance only covered the first 7 days of his stay, and the son wanted to leave, and a therapist met the concerned mother and said that her son should never be released in his condition. The doctor released the son.....some could argue that doctor and patient had connected and the son would diligently follow his out patient treatment.....others might suggest the insurance had run out.

The son got in his car which he voluntarily drove to the mental health facility, and he proceeded to drive home to his wife and child. They estimated he was going over a 100mph when he hit the tree 25 yards off the road.....so please go easy on blaming parents of adult children with mental illness.....I have seen too much pain.....I have felt too much guilt for not insisting on involuntary commitals.....in the end as a society we all need more training and ability to identify when a person is a risk to themselves and to others.......but this idea that we are going to magically ordain expertise on parents of adult children, or that the criminal justice system every day is not interfacing with mentally ill folks is a fantasy. We need to have the political will to invest more resources in training for law enforcement, first responders, teachers, and medical personnel. Mental health first aid is growing in America, but without the commitment of resources, sadly mental illness will be criminalized, and parents will be alone and the target of blame when their adult children harm others.

I agree. It is the commitment of resources that is sadly lacking in our country. We do the very best we can with what we have, but it is not enough. Until the identification and treatment of mental illness becomes a high priority in our country, the problems will continue.

Let me try to make a point here, and I make this point from personal experiance.

When Im talking about the morality of people, then my anguish that we shouuld allow the head docs more power wont work. I will explain it this way.

We have a bunch of sorry assed parents who are all too willing to have thier children labeled for a pay check from the Gov. The Gov became overwhelmed and went to the head docs and said, we cant afford this. change the diagnosis labels. So they went and removed aspergers off the list as of this year.

I think there is more they removed, but this one is the only one I am focusing on because it effects me personally and is associated with this case.

Now people who needed a accurate diagnosis in order to get help at the school level, cant. or those accomadations will be removed. All because of people abusing the system once again.

Then on top of it all we all get in a frenzy anytime there is a mass killing. Children are being killed right this minute, they are being molested, abused, sold into sex slavery, gang raped. Gangs are out of control, they are killing poeple every day. What is my point? My point is more power over us will NEVER be the answer.

We must start to do things the hard way again of watching our children and what they see on tv, internet. We must teach them self respect and love for people as human beings. Not facebook freinds.

We ourselves have become morally detached from society as we text message instead of call, because it removes the emotional contact between us. As we talk online and frolic because it removes our personal fears of who we really are.

And who we really are is fragile, sensative human beings who need human contact, love and understanding.

And I am scared to death that the association of this mass murder is going to further alientate not only my son but others like him into thinking they are going to grow up to be murderers. I fear to God that parents with these children pay very close attention to these children,. because autistic children are very sensative and loving beings and they take things and move them inwards.

What we really need for right now is to educate people on this specific enigma.

I'll stop my rant now and go back into hiding.

Peace out.

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

Human wrote:Let me try to make a point here, and I make this point from personal experiance.

When Im talking about the morality of people, then my anguish that we shouuld allow the head docs more power wont work. I will explain it this way.

We have a bunch of sorry assed parents who are all too willing to have thier children labeled for a pay check from the Gov. The Gov became overwhelmed and went to the head docs and said, we cant afford this. change the diagnosis labels. So they went and removed aspergers off the list as of this year.

I think there is more they removed, but this one is the only one I am focusing on because it effects me personally and is associated with this case.

Now people who needed a accurate diagnosis in order to get help at the school level, cant. or those accomadations will be removed. All because of people abusing the system once again.

Then on top of it all we all get in a frenzy anytime there is a mass killing. Children are being killed right this minute, they are being molested, abused, sold into sex slavery, gang raped. Gangs are out of control, they are killing poeple every day. What is my point? My point is more power over us will NEVER be the answer.

We must start to do things the hard way again of watching our children and what they see on tv, internet. We must teach them self respect and love for people as human beings. Not facebook freinds.

We ourselves have become morally detached from society as we text message instead of call, because it removes the emotional contact between us. As we talk online and frolic because it removes our personal fears of who we really are.

And who we really are is fragile, sensative human beings who need human contact, love and understanding.

And I am scared to death that the association of this mass murder is going to further alientate not only my son but others like him into thinking they are going to grow up to be murderers. I fear to God that parents with these children pay very close attention to these children,. because autistic children are very sensative and loving beings and they take things and move them inwards.

What we really need for right now is to educate people on this specific enigma.

I'll stop my rant now and go back into hiding.

Peace out.

I have an autistic nephew about the same age as the shooter. I can't begin to see his condition as a precursor to violence, even though he just lost his father...my brother. I know his mom takes excellent care of him.

I was involved also with a local autistic boy; my friend was his caretaker; we sometimes met for festivals and he came to visit at my house and play with my kids, who were quite a bit younger. The only problem I had was keeping him away from the electronics; I certainly never witnessed any violent behavior from him. He's now in his 30's, and I saw him a few years ago doing volunteer work at a local hospital, with a group of others who share his condition.

That's why I asked whether anyone can confirm that the kid was the actual shooter...because I'm not familiar with violent behavior from autistic kids.

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

I have never known autistic children to be violent. From what I have read the shooter had problems with depression and socipopathic traits....

Why Can't America Care for the Mentally Ill? ---- Dr. Ablow Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRSVYSpMjjSgcicoeiDLuONvtIOW1SakLAhKtWOxUPEMDPDsDpp

They should round up the people that show up for the Occupy Movement rallies for psych evals. There appears to be a lot of violent behavior there that has potential for crimes like this shooting. Their supporters appear to have a lot of maniac schizophrenic sociopaths that hang out here too.

*****CHUCKLE*****

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Ljy6PTbX9I

Smile

The Baker Act allows for the involuntary treatment of dangerous individuals. http://www.dcf.state.fl.us/programs/samh/mentalhealth/laws/

I would hate to have the responsibility of deciding that a patient should be locked up... perhaps for the rest of their life. I doubt that there are a lot of cases that are clearly cut-and-dry. Time Magazine said this about Kim Peek, a Megasavant that the movie Rain Man was patterned after:

When Kim Peek was 9 months old, doctors pronounced him so mentally
retarded that he would never walk or talk. One physician suggested he be
institutionalized; another later recommended a lobotomy.

My poor Mother-in-Law worked for 15 years in Baptist Hospital's Psychiatric floor (I don't know the official title of the area), and she had some wild stories. For instance, one guy came up to her and said "I'll bet you think that I'm going to stab you, don't you?" Her answer reminded me of Nurse Ratchet from One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest. She said "What makes you think I'd think that?"

She was a very heavy woman and one guy told her that he was going to get past her and "out the door". She said in her drawl "Weeellll, ain't anybody got past me YET." (He didn't either.)

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum