Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

We all know more Gun Laws is not the answer. So what is the answer? Is there an answer?

+4
Joanimaroni
TEOTWAWKI
Hospital Bob
Markle
8 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Markle

Markle

More gun laws is not the answer. We ALL know that as a fact.

What is the answer? Is there an answer?

We have relatively few mass murders from which to learn what when wrong or what would have stopped the individual from committing their heinous act.

From my "casual" observations, most if not all have serious mental problems. Who dropped the ball on disclosing who these people are BEFORE the mass murder?

Is it that people are afraid of naming the wrong person? Getting someone in trouble needlessly? As in the Ft. Hood mass murder, are people afraid of reporting them because of their fear of being called racist or bigots?

IS there an answer? Evil people have been doing evil acts since the dawn of time.

In Switzerland almost all men (apparently they're not politically correct) are mandated to take basic military training including weapons training. After that, they are required to keep the weapon in their home and have mandatory annual firearm training.

With a population of around 7.6 million, they had 34 killings or attempted killings in 2006. That is fewer than Chicago has in some months.

Why?

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

The question should be why are we now experiencing these mass shootings more often than we did in the past? And what is different in our society today than was the case in the past?

What is different today is that we now have P.T. Barnums on dozens of tv channels sensationalizing these events around the clock. The nutters of society are now sitting in front of 40 and 50 inch jumbotrons in their living rooms, and watching this nonstop around the clock.
The nutters are seeing that they all have a chance to do something which will make them famous and talked about more than a president or a pope and talked about for days and weeks on end on those jumbotrons inside everyone's home. They are seeing that this is the way for them to be noticed by everyone in the entire world.

I don't see any "answer" to this. The P.T. Barnum sensationalism is NOT going to go away. If anything, it's going to get bigger and bigger resulting in more and more nutters wanting to live in infamy.

Markle

Markle

Few politicians or anyone else will admit the major problem.

Our parents are no longer parents, it is no longer a stigma to be divorced, or having children out of wedlock. There are no more families. More and more parents have subjugated their parental responsibility to the government, mass media, computers. Kids and young adults text now instead of talk. Government feeds your kids for breakfast and lunch and some for dinner.

Games they play simulate violence for children thousands of times a day, it is no longer real. Plus...IT'S FUN!

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

I agree with you markle...Young people see the corruption and destruction of the American system and along with that, their futures. Why go to college to work at Wendy's ? To even get by many join the military and get a dose of the present insanity of a dying country in it's financial death throes building empire and supporting a little weasel country call Israel. America is like a giant that has lost it's vision and is stumbling around destroying everything in it's path before it finally dies, falls and crushes it's final victims beneath it's vast bulk....

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

I have to agree with both of you...

When tragedy's like this occur you can guarantee people (family and friends) will come forward with statements about the offender. The statements will include comments about the offenders behaviour over a relative long period of time; he was acting strange, he was never quite right, he would not take his medication, he acted weird, he was saying and doing crazy things. These comments are usually followed by, we never expected him to do something like this....the point is no one took positive steps to assure the mental stability of the offender. No one acted on the recognition and warning signs of a person losing it until the point they are completely out of control.

Is society too busy protecting their "rights" or just too busy... we allow the abnormal warning signs to continue without intervention?

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

There are nutters sitting in front of the tv's right now who are getting their rocks off at the notion that they too can become world famous by shooting large numbers of people. All you can do is hope that the ones who actually do it are not near you when their minds snap.

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

Naw Bob they could just join Blackwater and go kill people with immunity...why kill our kids when they could kill all they want in other lands?

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Before I left to go to the garage sales I turned it on. Fox News, CNN, MSNBC, you name it. Fox News had the three stooges (Doocy and the other two) running their mouths a mile a minute and acting like they actually knew anything. And they were talking to some black ex-cop who was running his mouth a mile a minute too. And they were showing all these graphic images of the event as they were running their mouths.
Hours later when I came back from the garage sales I turned it back on. And there they all were again, the three stooges and the black cop. All running their mouths again and showing the same graphic images.
And talking incessantly and loudly about this shooter. Telling us everything their little minds could tell us that was being transmitted to them in their little earphones.
And they will be talking on many tv channels all day every day for the next few days. And showing the graphic images. And sensationalizing the shooter.
And making all the nutters watching this want to get the same attention.
And before long another nutter will go off his nut and try to emulate what this nutter did.
That's your explanation.

You can say a thousand times "we need to find out who these nutters are and stop them before they go off their nuts". But that's an utter pipedream. Even if people start turning the nutters in, you can't lock people up because they're weirdos. That aint gonna happen anymore than saying "we need to stop government waste" is actually gonna do that either.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

These tv talking heads can keep telling us over and over that we need to "figure out who's gonna do this before they do it" but no one in a million years would have ever expected this little punk would do what he did yesterday. Not until he did it.

[img]http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/12/15/article-2248197-168579C1000005DC-946_634x452.jpg[/img]

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

"Adam Lanza attended Newtown High School, and several local news clippings from recent years mention his name among the school's honor roll students."

[url= http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2248327/The-moment-accountant-Ryan-Lanza-saw-CNN-mistakenly-report-Sandy-Hook-school-shooter-knew-real-killer-brother-Adam-Lanza.html#ixzz2F8mstO3W] http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2248327/The-moment-accountant-Ryan-Lanza-saw-CNN-mistakenly-report-Sandy-Hook-school-shooter-knew-real-killer-brother-Adam-Lanza.html#ixzz2F8mstO3W[/url]

Margin Call

Margin Call

Something everyone who lives in Pensacola and surrounding areas should do today is contact your representatives in Tallahassee, as well as, Gov. Scott's office and tell them not to continue to cut funding to Lakeview.

http://www.myfloridahouse.gov/Sections/Representatives/myrepresentative.aspx

http://www.flsenate.gov/Senators/Find

Tell the Governor to stop vetoing funds allocated to Lakeview:

http://www.flgov.com/contact-governor/

12We all know more Gun Laws is not the answer.  So what is the answer?  Is there an answer? Empty Meanwhile, back at the ranch... 12/15/2012, 11:12 am

Hello everyone, Rafe Headly, BSHT Fox News Action 11, where the news always goes up to eleven. I'm here with Modette Tooloose, a friend of the 2nd cousin of the neighbor who used to live on the same street as the "alleged shooter".

Ms. Tooloose, what insight can you give our viewers of the mindset I'm hearing in my headset...was he a wacko gun freak who refused to take his meds, or did he just hate children because his mama stopped breast feeding him when he turned 11...? (insert promo----Fox News Action 11, where the news always goes up to eleven).

Well, Rafe...can I call ya Rafe...? Anyhow, Mr. Headly....I always thought he was such a nice boy. From the info I got he was always willing to help an Old Lady half way across the street....see, his mama didn't allow him to cross no streets ya know. So here's this sweet innocent boy who can't cross no streets lessin' his mama goes with him. I'd bet my next welfare check that's what done him in. Are you momma's listenin'...? Stop it. Just stop it right now. Let them boys cross them streets. And that's all I got to say 'bout that. Oh, and don't let your babies play with kids who like them violet video games....!!!!!

Thanx Ms. Tooloose...

This is Rafe Headley, BSHT Fox News Action 11...back to you Suppretta.

Thanx Rafe....(mumble, mumble, chatter background noise). I think we all agree that Rafe does his homework, finding the REAL stories that matter to the common man. And also the common woman....LOL. Can't forget them or we'll be up to our bra in femi-nazis waving signs and saying nasty stuff....LOL.

BSHT, Fox News Action 11, where the news always goes up to eleven.

Last edited by W_T_M on 12/15/2012, 11:23 am; edited 1 time in total

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

So far, little is known about the 20-year-old who barely had a digital footprint, and didn't even have a Facebook profile. That is surprising not only because of his age but because he appears to have been a good student who was really interested in computers and was part of a technology club at Newtown High School. One source tells the New York Daily News Lanza “was like one of these real brainiac computer kind of kids.” One thing everyone seems to be able to agree on is that Lanza likely had some sort of mental disability or developmental disorder. One law enforcement official tells the Associated Press Adam Lanza might have suffered from a personality disorder and the New York Times reports that several who knew Lanza in high school had been told he had Aperger’s syndrome, a high functioning form of autism.

It certainly seems he had several tell-tale signs of the disorder, often making those around him nervous because he was painfully shy and seemed to struggle to be social and form connections with people. It was evident Lanza “had a condition,” a neighbor tells the New York Post. “You definitely notice it,” he added. Lanza was “kind of, like, needy. I wouldn’t say antisocial, but struggling to be social.” One “family insider” tells the New York Daily News Lanza “was a deeply disturbed kid,” who “had major issues” and “was subject to outbursts.” A 25-year-old neighbor who sometimes watched Adam Lanza when his mother would go out with friends, said he was on medication, reports the Washington Post.

Several people describe Lanza as withdrawn and awkward but not threatening. “Overall, I would just call him a socially awkward kid, I don’t know, shy and quiet. Didn’t really look you in the eye,” a former neighbor said. “Just kind of a weird kid, maybe.”

Former classmates recall how Lanza dressed more formally than other students, often wearing button-down shirts and a pocket protector, reports Reuters. The tech club that Lanza was a part of was “definitely the nerdiest club in the school,” a classmate said. Members often got together for gaming parties. Many have been quick to describe Lanza as smart and academically driven, an assessment that seems to be supported by the fact that Lanza “made the honor roll with highest honors,” according to the Los Angeles Times.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2012/12/15/adam_lanza_motive_shooting_rampage_sandy_hook_elementary_still_unclear.html

Sounds like a real-life version of "The Revenge of the Nerds".

Last edited by Bob on 12/15/2012, 11:18 am; edited 1 time in total

Bob wrote:Before I left to go to the garage sales I turned it on. Fox News, CNN, MSNBC, you name it. Fox News had the three stooges (Doocy and the other two) running their mouths a mile a minute and acting like they actually knew anything. And they were talking to some black ex-cop who was running his mouth a mile a minute too. And they were showing all these graphic images of the event as they were running their mouths.
Hours later when I came back from the garage sales I turned it back on. And there they all were again, the three stooges and the black cop. All running their mouths again and showing the same graphic images.
And talking incessantly and loudly about this shooter. Telling us everything their little minds could tell us that was being transmitted to them in their little earphones.
And they will be talking on many tv channels all day every day for the next few days. And showing the graphic images. And sensationalizing the shooter.
And making all the nutters watching this want to get the same attention.
And before long another nutter will go off his nut and try to emulate what this nutter did.
That's your explanation.

You can say a thousand times "we need to find out who these nutters are and stop them before they go off their nuts". But that's an utter pipedream. Even if people start turning the nutters in, you can't lock people up because they're weirdos. That aint gonna happen anymore than saying "we need to stop government waste" is actually gonna do that either.

But Killemead said one thing that stood out in my mind. The mass shootings at schools don't happen at inner city schools. Why? Because they have extra security and metal detector's and no one is let in that does not belong there. Not to mention most if not all of these mass shootings have been carried out with legally bought and registered guns.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

grimreaper1910 wrote:

But Killemead said one thing that stood out in my mind. The mass shootings at schools don't happen at inner city schools. Why? Because they have extra security and metal detector's and no one is let in that does not belong there.

Connecticut school could not have prevented shooting, experts say

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/12/15/us-usa-shooting-connecticut-security-idUSBRE8BE02E20121215

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

"According to a letter sent to parents at the beginning of the year, the school had recently upgraded its security protocol, requiring visitors to be individually admitted after visual and identification review over a video monitor; the doors were locked at 9:30 am each day after morning arrivals"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandy_Hook_Elementary_School_shooting#Shooting

"Authorities say it appears as though Adam Lanza shot out the glass next to the school’s front door in order to gain entry. The school was thought to be very secure, as all doors would lock at 9:30am and visitors would have to be buzzed in by the front office after that time."

http://foxnewsinsider.com/2012/12/15/latest-details-suspected-shooter-may-have-shot-out-glass-by-front-door-in-order-to-gain-entry-into-sandy-hook-elementary-school/

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Adam Lanza - the young man suspected of gunning down 20 primary school children in the US - was a gifted student who lived with his mother in a wealthy neighbourhood in Newtown, Connecticut.

The slim 20-year-old had an "alternative style", was "very remote" and was "one of the goths", according to reports.

Described as being "somewhat autistic" by his brother, Lanza is said to have killed his mother Nancy, a teacher at Sandy Hook Elementary, before going to the school and shooting the head teacher, five other adults, and 20 pupils, before turning the gun on himself.

Lanza attended Newtown High School, and local newspaper clippings mention his name among the school's honour roll students.

A member of the school's technology club, he would meet up with fellow members for "LAN parties" - short for Local Area Network - at which the pals would hook up their computers and play games with each other.

The brothers' aunt Marsha Lanza said her nephew was raised by kind, nurturing parents who would not have hesitated to seek mental help for him if he needed it.

The aunt said she was close with Nancy and sent her a Facebook message on Friday morning asking how she was doing - but she never responded.

She described Nancy Lanza as a good mother and kind-hearted. If her son had needed counselling, "Nancy wasn't one to deny reality," she told Sky News.

She added that her husband had seen suspected killer Adam as recently as June and recalled nothing out of the ordinary about him.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/connecticut-school-shootings-suspect-adam-1490973

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

another photo of him has surfaced

We all know more Gun Laws is not the answer.  So what is the answer?  Is there an answer? Adam-Lanza-630x418

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

"The New York Times reported Saturday morning that several people told the newspaper that Lanza had Asperger’s syndrome, a high-functioning form of autism."

So what is Asperger's Syndrome...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asperger_syndrome#Characteristics

more...

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/7601.php

Here's a history of school shootings

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/School_shootings_in_the_United_States

Bob wrote:"The New York Times reported Saturday morning that several people told the newspaper that Lanza had Asperger’s syndrome, a high-functioning form of autism."

So what is Asperger's Syndrome...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asperger_syndrome#Characteristics

more...

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/7601.php

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2012/12/03/asperger-dropped-from-revised-diagnosis-manual/

I am thinking one way to reduce these mass shootings (you're never going to stop all of them) is when you purchase a gun the immediate family needs an extensive psych test and back ground search before a license is granted.

I know someone whose nephew age 12 hunted knew gun safety and son of a prominent attorney that took a shot gun put the clip in and blew his brains out two weeks ago. No one know's why. Another legally licensed gun.

Markle wrote:More gun laws is not the answer. We ALL know that as a fact.

What is the answer? Is there an answer?

We have relatively few mass murders from which to learn what when wrong or what would have stopped the individual from committing their heinous act.

From my "casual" observations, most if not all have serious mental problems. Who dropped the ball on disclosing who these people are BEFORE the mass murder?

Is it that people are afraid of naming the wrong person? Getting someone in trouble needlessly? As in the Ft. Hood mass murder, are people afraid of reporting them because of their fear of being called racist or bigots?

IS there an answer? Evil people have been doing evil acts since the dawn of time.

In Switzerland almost all men (apparently they're not politically correct) are mandated to take basic military training including weapons training. After that, they are required to keep the weapon in their home and have mandatory annual firearm training.

With a population of around 7.6 million, they had 34 killings or attempted killings in 2006. That is fewer than Chicago has in some months.

Why?

On my link to the shooting, it is noted that all of these shooting have one commonality- they occured in areas designated as gun free zones which have zero tolerance for weapons. That allows the perp, who does not care what the law is, to come in and inflict as much harm as possible in a short time that an armed response can be brought to bear on the criminal. In that time, dozens can die.

Arm up teachers.....Texas does.

grimreaper1910 wrote:I am thinking one way to reduce these mass shootings (you're never going to stop all of them) is when you purchase a gun the immediate family needs an extensive psych test and back ground search before a license is granted.

I know someone whose nephew age 12 hunted knew gun safety and son of a prominent attorney that took a shot gun put the clip in and blew his brains out two weeks ago. No one know's why. Another legally licensed gun.

Licenses are not granted to own guns in the United States. Oh and the Aurora shooting culprit was near genius studying to be a doctor. Don't you think that people like that could tell a headshrink exactly what they want to hear when being questioned? In the time I spent teaching kids with mental illness in the local area, they knew exactly what the therapists wanted to hear to move up in classroom freedom and priviledges. If kids are smart enough to manipulate the system, well adults will do the same.

grimreaper1910 wrote:Here's a history of school shootings

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/School_shootings_in_the_United_States

Wkipedia?

http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2012/12/good_guns_can_kill_bad_people.html

Another horrific mass murder and if we could not predict its timing we could predict its site within certain parameters. With predictable regularity, the most lethal of these types of attacks take place in public venues such as shopping malls, restaurants, theaters, with the deadliest frequently being institutions of learning. We are all familiar with the Columbine High School killings in which 12 students and a single teacher died or the Virginia Tech massacre where 32 people died. Fewer remember the 2006 killing of five Amish schoolgirls by a milk truck driver or the Jonesboro, AR school shooting in which five died, gunned down by fellow students. How many remember the memorable name of Kip Kinkel, an Oregon high school student who murdered his parents and two students in 1998? Or what about that Red Lake, MN mass killing where nine died in 2005? Of course everyone remembers the Aurora, CO theater shooting, but what about the 2007 Arvada, CO school shooting that left five dead?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum