Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Are we ever going to have an authentic conservative party again? Are the Republicans going to survive?

+3
gulfbeachbandit
Sal
othershoe1030
7 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

They say the first step in recovery is admitting you have a problem.

Are the Republicans able to be objective enough to analyze their failure to win the election or will they continue to listen to their own propaganda?

Here's part of Maureen Dowd's column from yesterday's NYT's.

President Obama’s victory margin is expanding, as more votes are counted. He didn’t just beat Romney; he’s still beating him. But another sign of the old guard’s denial came on Friday, a month after the election, when the Romney campaign ebulliently announced that it raised $85.9 million in the final weeks of the campaign, making its fund-raising effort “the most successful in Republican Party history.”

Why is the Romney campaign still boasting? You can’t celebrate at a funeral. Go away and learn how to crunch data on the Internet.

Outside the Republican walled kingdom of denial and delusion, everyone else could see that the once clever and ruthless party was behaving in an obtuse and outmoded way that spelled doom.

The G.O.P. put up a candidate that no one liked or understood and ran a campaign that no one liked or understood — a campaign animated by the idea that indolent, grasping serfs must be kept down, even if it meant creating barriers to letting them vote.

Although Stuart Stevens, the Romney strategist, now claims that Mitt “captured the imagination of millions” and ran “with a natural grace,” there was very little chance that the awkward gazillionaire was ever going to be president. Yet strangely, Republicans are still gobsmacked by their loss, grasping at straws like Sandy as an excuse.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/09/opinion/sunday/dowd-a-lost-civilization.html?ref=maureendowd&_r=0

Why do you want a strong authentic republican party?

I think you leftists would like that less than the current one.

It will be the Rubio, Jindal et al crowd that revives the party. Ryan is done. He has the Romney albatross around his candidate neck now and will be hard to distance himself from it.

Until the GOP can beat free giveaways from the treasury, they will have a tough road to hoe. Maybe the idea that the treasury will eventually run dry might help some who were fence sitters in this election and then pulled for Obama just because of what he promised them.

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

PkrBum wrote:Why do you want a strong authentic republican party?

Back before the tea party took over we were able to work with Republicans. If they had an idea that we thought was a good one they would be happy when we adopted it in a piece of legislation.

Now if the Democrats adopt a position that was originally set out by conservatives these crazy people will vote against it just because the Democrats now like it. That sort of attitude is counter productive. It is that sort of tactic that has brought congress to a screeching halt. It is tough to solve problems with a partner like that.

If it don't bend it will break.. the r's are History.. they're Fucked.. I just hope the next party doesn't get hijacked by a bunch of loons like the r party did..

Sal

Sal

The base of the modern GOP is comprised of extremist reactionaries.

The Republicans will stop with the extremist rhetoric only when it ceases to win primaries.

When you have slow learners in this very thread opining that the Repukes lost because they weren't conservative enough, it does not point toward a bright future for the GOP.

Y'all must have been born this morning... half of the time one side is for it before the other is for it... then they switch sides.

The other half of the time one side has temporary majority and forces the other side kicking and screaming to compromise.

The part that is really sad is I read kos and huffpo... etc... and I've been seeing all the yellow pieces you are parroting...

its not original... and its certainly not clever. Here's an idea... fix your party before it runs aground. Taxes don't float boats.

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

The Republicans also need to re-educate their main media representatives so they stop spouting nonsense like this from Ann Coulter. They keep this up and the people who listen to them just become more misinformed by the hour. As Joe Scarborough said, "I'm tired of Republicans being the stupid party."

Are we ever going to have an authentic conservative party again? Are the Republicans going to survive? R-ann-10

Republicans looking to reach out to Latinos may want to avoid the advice of Ann Coulter.

The conservative pundit penned a column Wednesday in which she lashed out at the “deluge of unskilled immigrants pouring into the country” and portrayed Latinos as a lazy “underclass” looking for a government handout. Coulter titles the piece “America Nears El Tipping Pointo,” presumably to make a virtue of her ignorance of the Spanish language.

In fact, Latinos use less than their fair share of government benefits. According to a study released this year by the Center on Budget and Policy Priorities:

Non-Hispanic whites accounted for 64 percent of the population in 2010 and received 69 percent of the entitlement benefits. In contrast, Hispanics made up 16 percent of the population but received 12 percent of the benefits, less than their proportionate share -- likely because they are a younger population and also because immigrants, including many legal immigrants, are ineligible for various benefits.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/12/07/ann-coulter-attacks-latinos-conservatives-hispanic-voters_n_2253721.html

gulfbeachbandit

gulfbeachbandit

othershoe1030 wrote:

Back before the tea party took over we were able to work with Republicans. If they had an idea that we thought was a good one they would be happy when we adopted it in a piece of legislation.

Now if the Democrats adopt a position that was originally set out by conservatives these crazy people will vote against it just because the Democrats now like it. That sort of attitude is counter productive. It is that sort of tactic that has brought congress to a screeching halt. It is tough to solve problems with a partner like that.

Can you show us some examples of what you say were conservative ideas that they voted against because liberals now like them?

And don't say obamacare. Conservatives wanted reform. Not total destruction of the healthcare system.

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

PACEDOG#1 wrote:It will be the Rubio, Jindal et al crowd that revives the party. Ryan is done. He has the Romney albatross around his candidate neck now and will be hard to distance himself from it.

Until the GOP can beat free giveaways from the treasury, they will have a tough road to hoe. Maybe the idea that the treasury will eventually run dry might help some who were fence sitters in this election and then pulled for Obama just because of what he promised them.

Jindal can't run for president because he was born in Calcutta.

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

Sal wrote:The base of the modern GOP is comprised of extremist reactionaries.

The Republicans will stop with the extremist rhetoric only when it ceases to win primaries.

When you have slow learners in this very thread opining that the Repukes lost because they weren't conservative enough, it does not point toward a bright future for the GOP.

Will they hold the house in 2014? That is a very good question.

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

2seaoat

I play poker Wed night with some folks who want to send me to a brainwashing camp.....they are appalled with the questions I have been asking the last year in emails.....I have been taken off of two of their email lists.....it should be interesting......I will report on the status of the Republican braintrust on thursday......these are good guys who own businesses, and are all 1% folks.....so it will be interesting.....I will take their money....but I doubt if I will get one of them to start thinking about where as Republicans we dinosaurs are going......extinct and in somebody's gas tank is not a great future for us old white guys.....hopefully my friends will show the brain useage which made them all successful, and look at immigration reform, revenue as part of budget cuts, and focus on job creation....should be interesting.....in our younger years probably one of us would take a poke at each other....with me being sick.....I am going to miss that dynamic....but it will be interesting.

Are we ever going to have an authentic conservative party again? Are the Republicans going to survive? Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQuZnoRH0uRTP8GkxSurJyG2-HoSjPf7bWy7_qHM-ZhLvAle1liCg

Mr Santorum was the only true constervative Republican, with a backbone I might add, running this last election cycle. After a recount of the votes in Iowa it was found that he had won the Iowa caucuses. He also came very close to being the candidate that would have been running against Mr Obama.

So 'NO' there will never be another true conservative running because everyone wants the cut and glue candidates that one has to hold their nose to vote for when the Presidential election finally arrives.

Get use to the cloned presidential candidates like the last few because...

"'It is scarcely possible that the eyes of contemporaries should discover in the public felicity the latent causes of decay and corruption. This long peace, and the uniform government of the Romans, introduced a slow and secret poison into the vitals of the empire. The minds of men were gradually reduced to the same level, the fire of genius was extinguished, and even the military spirit evaporated.' Now that no one buys our votes, the public has long since cast off its cares; the people that once bestowed commands, consulships, legions and all else, now meddles no more and longs eagerly for just two things----Bread and Games!"

Satire 10

Juvenal

*****SAD SMILE*****

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtC7i4KMRgo

Smile

knothead

knothead

PACEDOG#1 wrote:It will be the Rubio, Jindal et al crowd that revives the party. Ryan is done. He has the Romney albatross around his candidate neck now and will be hard to distance himself from it.

Please tell me that you are not hanging your hat on the likes of Rubio. He is the poster child for GOP diversity but empty on charisma or ideas. Jindal will never be a serious competitor because he, too, just does not have that quality that causes the citizenry to follow him, he is not inspirational whatsoever.
I have no clue what you are referring to with the free giveaway bit but it is nonsense , , , , , it is what Romney cried about but it is not factual at all. You still do not get it at all . . . . it is the GOP message . . . . what is it about that you cannot accept. The farther to the right they go the shorter the life span will be for the party. Until they repudiate Grover, El Rushbo, Hannity, the whole bunch of mean spirited group spewing their brand of 'conservatism' you and your party are screwed . . . .. it is not complicated.

knothead

knothead

Damaged Eagle wrote:Are we ever going to have an authentic conservative party again? Are the Republicans going to survive? Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQuZnoRH0uRTP8GkxSurJyG2-HoSjPf7bWy7_qHM-ZhLvAle1liCg

Mr Santorum was the only true constervative Republican, with a backbone I might add, running this last election cycle. After a recount of the votes in Iowa it was found that he had won the Iowa caucuses. He also came very close to being the candidate that would have been running against Mr Obama.

So 'NO' there will never be another true conservative running because everyone wants the cut and glue candidates that one has to hold their nose to vote for when the Presidential election finally arrives.

"'It is scarcely possible that the eyes of contemporaries should discover in the public felicity the latent causes of decay and corruption. This long peace, and the uniform government of the Romans, introduced a slow and secret poison into the vitals of the empire. The minds of men were gradually reduced to the same level, the fire of genius was extinguished, and even the military spirit evaporated.' Now that no one buys our votes, the public has long since cast off its cares; the people that once bestowed commands, consulships, legions and all else, now meddles no more and longs eagerly for just two things----Bread and Games!"

Satire 10

Juvenal

*****SAD SMILE*****

Smile

For the Dems it would be a dream come true to have candidates like Santorum be the challenger . . . . . bring on the most conservative and he will get his butt slapped down. America ain't buying their brand of snake oil!

knothead

knothead

Ghandi wrote:
othershoe1030 wrote:

Can you show us some examples of what you say were conservative ideas that they voted against because liberals now like them?

And don't say obamacare. Conservatives wanted reform. Not total destruction of the healthcare system.

I will say Obamacare . . . . your interpretation of it is your business but you cannot escape the fact that it came from the legendary right wing think tank Heritage Foundation and was the model for the MA health bill which the AFA was modeled after thereafter.

gulfbeachbandit

gulfbeachbandit

knothead wrote:
Ghandi wrote:
othershoe1030 wrote:

I will say Obamacare . . . . your interpretation of it is your business but you cannot escape the fact that it came from the legendary right wing think tank Heritage Foundation and was the model for the MA health bill which the AFA was modeled after thereafter.

The Republicans would not have proposed a bill that makes the middle class pay for the healthcare of everyone. Like obama is doing.

Sal

Sal

Damaged Eagle wrote:Are we ever going to have an authentic conservative party again? Are the Republicans going to survive? Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQuZnoRH0uRTP8GkxSurJyG2-HoSjPf7bWy7_qHM-ZhLvAle1liCg

Satire 10

Juvenal

*****SAD SMILE*****

Smile

*****RIOTOUS LAUGHTER*****

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=whKFg_TiJ64&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DwhKFg_TiJ64

2seaoat wrote:I play poker Wed night with some folks who want to send me to a brainwashing camp.....they are appalled with the questions I have been asking the last year in emails.....I have been taken off of two of their email lists.....it should be interesting......I will report on the status of the Republican braintrust on thursday......these are good guys who own businesses, and are all 1% folks.....so it will be interesting.....I will take their money....but I doubt if I will get one of them to start thinking about where as Republicans we dinosaurs are going......extinct and in somebody's gas tank is not a great future for us old white guys.....hopefully my friends will show the brain useage which made them all successful, and look at immigration reform, revenue as part of budget cuts, and focus on job creation....should be interesting.....in our younger years probably one of us would take a poke at each other....with me being sick.....I am going to miss that dynamic....but it will be interesting.

When I think of 1% folks,I think of Warren Buffet and Bill Gates. Is that who you play poker with,Seaoat? I wouldn't think they were any one percenter's in Pensacola.

knothead

knothead

Ghandi wrote:
knothead wrote:
Ghandi wrote:
othershoe1030 wrote:

The Republicans would not have proposed a bill that makes the middle class pay for the healthcare of everyone. Like obama is doing.

That is a completely disingenuous statement . . . . the truth is the Republicans have never give a rat's ass about the underclass of our nation and have NEVER been willing to seriously address our broken health care system. Since those of our nation who have health care are in the majority the paradigm has been "I've got mine, figure it out so screw you." It is that attitude that the GOP embraces and they will be left behind. We all have to contribute to make it work but that requires our nation having a national consensus that it is intolerable to have families with sickness and nowhere to turn. To me that is unacceptable.

gulfbeachbandit

gulfbeachbandit

Dreamsglore wrote:
2seaoat wrote:I play poker Wed night with some folks who want to send me to a brainwashing camp.....they are appalled with the questions I have been asking the last year in emails.....I have been taken off of two of their email lists.....it should be interesting......I will report on the status of the Republican braintrust on thursday......these are good guys who own businesses, and are all 1% folks.....so it will be interesting.....I will take their money....but I doubt if I will get one of them to start thinking about where as Republicans we dinosaurs are going......extinct and in somebody's gas tank is not a great future for us old white guys.....hopefully my friends will show the brain useage which made them all successful, and look at immigration reform, revenue as part of budget cuts, and focus on job creation....should be interesting.....in our younger years probably one of us would take a poke at each other....with me being sick.....I am going to miss that dynamic....but it will be interesting.

When I think of 1% folks,I think of Warren Buffet and Bill Gates. Is that who you play poker with,Seaoat? I wouldn't think they were any one percenter's in Pensacola.

Bill Gates gave half his money to charity. He must be evil. And Warren wants higher taxes for himself and other wealthy people. He must be an evil 1%er too. Lets burn all the 1% at the stake. They hate America.

The Republicans started the welfare program to help struggling Americans.
You don't know shit. Do you?

Last edited by Ghandi on 12/10/2012, 11:40 pm; edited 2 times in total

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

Ghandi wrote:

In the 1980's the concept of cap and trade was successfully used to reduce acid rain. Bush 41 and the Republicans liked it then, market forces and all that. Now cap and trade is called a job killing idea and can't get through congress.

This article lists 7 ideas once supported by R's but now called all sorts of names.

My favorite position change by the Republicans is the individual mandate to buy health insurance. This idea was presented by the Heritage Foundation. They called it a way of guaranteeing personal responsibility to pay for your own health insurance. They wanted to get rid of the slackers who let others pay for their healthcare expenses!

When they changed their mind about it they called it a government take-over of the health care system being crammed down our throats. Instead of making a case for personal responsibility now the government was forcing people to buy insurance. They were fiercely against it now that it had been adopted by the Democratic president.

I imagine there will be more examples as time goes on. It looks pretty childish from a distance like this. I wish congress would give itself permission to work together. Every little thing is a pissing contest. They are not acting like patriotic Americans IMO but like people from two different countries.

http://www.politicsdaily.com/2010/07/11/things-republicans-were-for-and-now-are-against/

ZVUGKTUBM wrote:

Jindal can't run for president because he was born in Calcutta.

Didn't say he'd be POTUS, but one of the forces reviving the party. That reading comp is a bitch isn't it?

knothead wrote:

For the Dems it would be a dream come true to have candidates like Santorum be the challenger . . . . . bring on the most conservative and he will get his butt slapped down. America ain't buying their brand of snake oil!

Are we ever going to have an authentic conservative party again? Are the Republicans going to survive? Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQaXvZwHK9Q6ejcIuIYi0EjhaHSPMyS2yBoHv0wt6j36sE0Wa3i

Your response only proves my point.

*****SAD SMILE*****

Smile

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

Since we're talking about things the R's used to be for and are now against we have to include Mitch McConnell's latest move.

WASHINGTON — In the span of hours, Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell on Thursday challenged Democrats to an immediate vote giving President Barack Obama unilateral power to increase the nation’s borrowing limit, then reversed course and blocked his own bill when Democrats agreed.

“This is an idea opposed by Democrats and Republicans alike; it's a power grab that has no support here,” McConnell said of giving the president power to increase the debt ceiling. He then moved for a Senate vote on the issue.

After initially objecting to the vote, Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nev., later announced he was ready to conduct a vote on McConnell’s proposal, signaling the Democrats had at least 51 votes to pass the Kentuckian’s idea.

McConnell responded that “matters of this level of controversy always require 60 votes.”

Reid declined to agree to that, adding that “what we have is a case of Republicans in the Senate once again not taking ‘yes’ for an answer.”

McConnell then said of the pending vote on his plan: “I object.” In effect, he was saying he would filibuster his own bill, a move that would require 60 votes to stop. The measure was not voted on.

Sen. Claire McCaskill, D-Mo., who was presiding over the Senate, grinned and said she had “whiplash,” an obvious reference to McConnell’s sudden course reversal.

After witnessing the exchange, Senate Majority Whip Dick Durbin, D-Ill., told his colleagues, “I think we have now reached a new spot in the history of the Senate we have never seen before.”

“I am going to ask the parliamentarian to look into this,” Durbin said. “I do not think this has ever happened before.”
http://www.courier-journal.com/article/20121207/NEWS01/312070087/Sen-Mitch-McConnell-filibusters-own-bill-debt-ceiling-when-Democrats-agree-vote?odyssey=nav%7Chead

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum