Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Perfect place for Bob

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Perfect place for Bob Empty Perfect place for Bob 12/5/2012, 7:21 am

http://www.natochannel.tv?sig=c1e604f6223s

Sorry it is not a You tube video It is from the NATO channel. People sorting out all the stuff we have in Afghanistan

2Perfect place for Bob Empty Re: Perfect place for Bob 12/5/2012, 8:11 am

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

It's gonna be a field day for those who do military surplus. Before I retired I used to dabble in it a little. But we have one of, if not THE, biggest military surplus dealers in the country located here. It's called Brown Helicopter and it's a big complex of huge warehouses off in the woods on the westside that very few people are even aware exists. They buy plane loads and train loads of military surplus from all around the world...

Perfect place for Bob Brown10

But I'm now retired and the "perfect place" for me is where I'm gonna be next month...

Perfect place for Bob Yosemite-valley

Perfect place for Bob Bigsuraerial

3Perfect place for Bob Empty Re: Perfect place for Bob 12/5/2012, 8:39 am

I have a friend that works there. You are right it is a massive operation. Well hidden off of Aileron. I love to ride that road on my bicycle. Remember this?

Motive for Florida slaying a mystery

Jim Brown was killed May 25 in Pensacola, Fla., hours before he was to be married. Investigators are trying to determine whether Brown and the suspect in his death, William Harbour of Portsmouth, knew each other. Photo courtesy of the Brown family

By AMY JETER, The Virginian-Pilot © June 17, 2002

PORTSMOUTH -- On May 23, William Harbour kissed his wife goodbye and started a long drive from South Hampton Roads in a rented car. The Portsmouth attorney had blocked out more than a week of leave from his job with the U.S. Joint Forces Command to travel to Biloxi, Miss., for a job interview.

He did not make it back.

Two days after Harbour left, police arrested him near Perdido Key, a barrier island in the Florida panhandle near the Alabama state line. He is accused of fatally stabbing 51-year-old James Dudley Brown that morning, just hours before Brown was to be married.

A witness saw Harbour, 52, attack Brown with a long-bladed knife, change clothes, wipe blood from his body and pedal away from the crime scene on a bicycle, a Florida sheriff's report says.

Officers found Harbour riding his bike on a nearby road with bloody clothes in his backpack and what appeared to be a knife sheath attached to the bicycle.

Held without bond since his arrest, Harbour could face the death penalty or life imprisonment without parole if a grand jury decides later this month to upgrade his charges to first-degree murder.

Investigators and family members of both men have been searching for any previous connection between Brown and Harbour. None has found a clear answer.

But Harbour's attorney, James R. Stokes, said Friday the men were strangers, never meeting until minutes before Brown's slaying.

Harbour, he said, was defending his own life after a series of unfortunate coincidences led to a vicious fight.

Jim Brown grew up in Pensacola, tan and wiry, with the sun-bleached hair of a former surfer.

The 51-year-old loved to fish and boat, and was most at home sitting on the beach in a Panama hat, friends and family said. He had no need for wealth, but could afford luxuries.

``He drove an old pickup truck and wore raggedy shorts and T-shirts,'' said Mike Jones, a friend for about 20 years. ``He wouldn't buy anything for himself, but he bought his father a brand-new Mercedes.''

Brown worked with two brothers in the family business, Brown Helicopter. He often worked late managing inventory for the 18-year-old company, which buys and sells aircraft parts. The company has had numerous contracts with the U.S. Department of Defense.

Brown dated occasionally, but there was no one special until he rekindled an acquaintance with Angela Fell at a 30-year high school reunion. They planned to marry on May 25.

But Brown was apprehensive because of an incident two months earlier, said his sister, Kristine Peach, 53, of Mount Dora, Fla.

On March 18, a state fire marshal bomb squad dismantled a sophisticated bomb strapped under Jim Brown's truck at Brown Helicopter, according to news reports.

The federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms has been investigating but no charges had been filed early last week.

Brown believed his truck was at home when the bomb was fixed to it, Peach said, and told federal agents of his concerns that something may happen during his upcoming wedding.

According to Stokes, Brown's fears, coupled with finding a knife-wielding stranger on his property, may have led to his death.

Harbour, an attorney and outdoorsman, has been married to the same woman for more than three decades.

He attended college and law school in Arkansas, where a friend introduced him to his future wife, Linda. Their roomy Broad Street home in Portsmouth's Port Norfolk section was on the neighborhood's Holiday Home Tour in 1997, the year they moved in.

Harbour has been a civilian employee of the Defense Department for about two decades. During that time, he has worked at an Army chemical munitions repository in Pine Bluff, Ark., on a volunteer assignment to rebuild the Haitian government in 1994, and most recently at an Army base in Vicenza, Italy.

``He's very patriotic,'' said Linda Harbour, 50, a medical technician. ``He felt if he could help, he wanted to help.''

Once a marathoner and avid bike rider, Harbour was trying to get back in shape when he left for Mississippi, his wife said. He drove a rental car because he avoided flying whenever possible.

By May 25, Harbour already had interviewed in Biloxi and at least nine days of vacation remained, officials said. He was in Pensacola looking at waterfront property for retirement when the slaying occurred, Stokes said.

While Harbour is not talking to investigators, and the jail does not allow inmates to talk to the media, Stokes gave this account of what happened:

Harbour's search for land to buy took him to Brown's neighborhood. He rode his bicycle and carried a bayonet that he usually takes to dig up items when he uses a metal detector. This time, he used it to cut saw palmetto, a plant that eases prostate problems.

As he walked, Harbour crossed through Brown's property. Brown came outside and ordered him to leave.

Harbour made an inflammatory remark to Brown as he left.

Brown grabbed Harbour's shoulder. And when Harbour turned, Brown saw the knife.

The two men scuffled, Harbour holding on to the blade's point and the handle and Brown grabbing the middle.

At one point, Harbour heard Brown say, ``I'm going to kill you.''

Harbour remembers little else, other than falling from his bicycle as he rode away, Stokes said. He was in shock when he changed clothes, pedaled away and told officers, without mentioning the fight, that he was bloody because of the spill from his bike.

Harbour had brought a gun and ammunition for protection on his road trip, Stokes said. He left both in the car's trunk on that day, which proved he did not intend to kill someone, Stokes said.

Florida prosecutor David Rimmer said Harbour's account was not consistent with the evidence. Brown's house is elevated, he said, and blood was found in the area under the house, indicating that Harbour was not merely cutting through the property.

There is also evidence that Brown was fleeing, Rimmer said. Some of Brown's multiple stab wounds were to his back -- including a blow that severed his spinal cord. Also, Rimmer said, a large amount of blood trailed from the house across the street to where Brown was found.

That blood probably was not Harbour's, Rimmer said, because he sustained only a minor cut.

Peach, Brown's sister, didn't know what to make of it.

How could a seemingly routine exchange escalate to murder? she asked Friday. Why had no one indicated earlier that the slaying could be in self-defense?

``It sounds like somebody trying to make up a defense,'' Peach said. ``He just doesn't want to go to jail.''

Harbour's story won't stop her from looking for another motive, she said.

Bruce Wood, of the Escambia County Sheriff's Office, said investigators are exploring three possible connections between Harbour and Brown. One is through the Defense Department, which employed Harbour and did business with Brown Helicopter, he said. He declined to elaborate on the other theories.

Officials have investigated Harbour's possible involvement in the bomb incident. Harbour's wife and a spokesman for his employer say he was in Norfolk the day the explosive was found.

Brown's death, the third among seven siblings, has left the family reeling.

``The worse thing has happened,'' Peach said. ``No matter what the motive was, it can't be any worse than what we've been through.''

News researcher Jakon Hays, staff writer David Gulliver, 13 News and the Pensacola News Journal contributed to this report.

Reach Amy Jeter at ajeter@pilotonline.com or 446-2793.

4Perfect place for Bob Empty Re: Perfect place for Bob 12/5/2012, 9:06 am

Firehawk Helicopters is the latest offshoot of Brainerd Helicopters, Inc. Through the years Brainerd Helicopters has operated a diverse fleet that has included the Sikorsky S-58, S-58T, Eurocopter (Sud Aviation/Aerospatiale) SA-319B Alouette III, MD 500D, and Bell 212.

Brainerd Helicopters, Inc. has participated in Research and Development activities for major defense contractors participating in such important programs as the AH-64 Apache’s TADS/PVNS sensor suite’s development with Martin Marrietta (now Lockheed Martin) and the LANTIRN pod used on the F-16 and F-15.In 1984 it flew the first Heart Balloon Pump used in an aerial application in the US with its innovative use of an Sikorsky S-58T for EMS Helicopter based transport.

In 1987 Brainerd Helicopters entered the fire fighting industry in Support of the US Forest Service and Office of Aircraft Services supporting wildland fire fighters throughout the US.From 1995-96 saw Brainerd Helicopters move out of its S-58T’s and become the first commercial company in the US to buy and begin to operate the Sikorsky S-70C Black Hawk. It was during this time that it established Firehawk Helicopters exclusively to operate the Black Hawk thus allowing it to brand the aircraft under the Firehawk name.In 1999 Brainerd Helicopters added the Eurocopter SA-319 Alouette III to its operations to diversify its fleet. It operated these aircraft until 2003, when the company transitioned to the newer Eurocopter AS-350B3 Astar with its class leading and unmatched performance.

In 2001 a second S-70C was purchased from Sikorsky and repurposed for the task of Wildland firefighting.In 2005 Brainerd/Firehawk Helicopters partnered with Brown Helicopter, one of the industries leading parts suppliers. The company took on operational responsibilities for Brown’s three S-70A Black Hawks that had recently been acquired from the Government Flying Service of Hong Kong. These aircraft were refurbished and slowly phased into service over the following three year period.Also in 2005-06 Firehawk participated in the rescue and restoration efforts following Hurricane Katrina in New Orleans, LA. Initially Firehawk helped evacuate and rescue stranded patients and residents throughout the greater New Orleans area. Following the first few weeks, Firehawk provided aerial fire fighting support for the New Orleans Fire Department for over 12 months.

Currently FireHawk operates a fleet of 4 Sikorsky S-70 Black Hawks and 3 Eurocopter AS-350B3’s in support of Wildland Fire Fighting and other commercial endevors

5Perfect place for Bob Empty Re: Perfect place for Bob 12/5/2012, 1:35 pm

Yella

Yella

hallmarkgrad wrote:http://www.natochannel.tv?sig=c1e604f6223s

Sorry it is not a You tube video It is from the NATO channel. People sorting out all the stuff we have in Afghanistan

What we have here is a perfect example of one way the MIC works. Sell the government tons of useless crap at accelerated prices only to buy it all back later on under a different name and make another fortune, selling it off a government surplus. Our Congress supports all this because they are some of the ones making a fortune.

http://warpedinblue,blogspot.com/

6Perfect place for Bob Empty Re: Perfect place for Bob 12/5/2012, 7:01 pm

Bob wrote:It's gonna be a field day for those who do military surplus. Before I retired I used to dabble in it a little. But we have one of, if not THE, biggest military surplus dealers in the country located here. It's called Brown Helicopter and it's a big complex of huge warehouses off in the woods on the westside that very few people are even aware exists. They buy plane loads and train loads of military surplus from all around the world...

/Brown Helo Pic/

But I'm now retired and the "perfect place" for me is where I'm gonna be next month...

Perfect place for Bob Yosemite-valley

Perfect place for Bob Bigsuraerial

You gonna come see me while you're out here, Bob? How far South are you coming in the Sierras?

7Perfect place for Bob Empty Re: Perfect place for Bob 12/5/2012, 8:49 pm

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

riceme wrote:

You gonna come see me while you're out here, Bob? How far South are you coming in the Sierras?
I would love to, rice. Right now the plan is three nights in San Francisco and then on the 4th day I get a rental car and drive to Yosemite Valley and then on to Monterey where I'll spend a couple more days sightseeing up and down the coast and then back to SFO to fly home.
Maybe you can help me out with one thing. Will I be able to drive a 2-wheel drive rental car from the west into Yosemite Valley this time of year? Or will the roads require that I have chains on the tires?

8Perfect place for Bob Empty Re: Perfect place for Bob 12/5/2012, 8:52 pm

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

rice,

Have you been to Pfeiffer Beach? It's right near Big Sur a couple miles off the Pacific Coast Highway. Supposed to have a beach with purple colored sand? I'd like to see that.

9Perfect place for Bob Empty Re: Perfect place for Bob 12/5/2012, 8:54 pm

Bob wrote:
riceme wrote:

I would love to, rice. Right now the plan is three nights in San Francisco and then on the 4th day I get a rental car and drive to Yosemite Valley and then on to Monterey where I'll spend a couple more days sightseeing up and down the coast and then back to SFO to fly home.
Maybe you can help me out with one thing. Will I be able to drive a 2-wheel drive rental car from the west into Yosemite Valley this time of year? Or will the roads require that I have chains on the tires?

I'm jealous.

10Perfect place for Bob Empty Re: Perfect place for Bob 12/5/2012, 9:33 pm

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Yomama wrote:

I'm jealous.

Wasn't even planning to go. It's only because I was googling and happened to see that I could fly round trip in January for $306 and I've never been to northern California and want to see it. So I started googling some more and found a motel at Fisherman's Wharf for only $69/night and another motel in Monterrey for only $38.95 a night and a rent-a-car for $22.95/day. Since I could do the thing on the cheap I kept asking myself how could I NOT do it. And the answer I got was "you can't not do it".
I'm right now hustling to sell some crap on ebay that was lying around here to pay for the whole thing and that way I can feel like I earned it.

11Perfect place for Bob Empty Re: Perfect place for Bob 12/5/2012, 10:39 pm

Yella

Yella

Bob wrote:
Yomama wrote:

I'm jealous.

Wasn't even planning to go. It's only because I was googling and happened to see that I could fly round trip in January for $306 and I've never been to northern California and want to see it. So I started googling some more and found a motel at Fisherman's Wharf for only $69/night and another motel in Monterrey for only $38.95 a night and a rent-a-car for $22.95/day. Since I could do the thing on the cheap I kept asking myself how could I NOT do it. And the answer I got was "you can't not do it".
I'm right now hustling to sell some crap on ebay that was lying around here to pay for the whole thing and that way I can feel like I earned it.

Where you are going is one of the most impressive areas I've ever visited.You will see why people live there knowing that at anytime the San Andreas fault could collapse and make a whole new coastline.

http://warpedinblue,blogspot.com/

12Perfect place for Bob Empty Re: Perfect place for Bob 12/5/2012, 11:42 pm

Sal

Sal

Bob wrote:
Yomama wrote:

I'm jealous.

Good for you, Bob.

Enjoy.

13Perfect place for Bob Empty Re: Perfect place for Bob 12/5/2012, 11:48 pm

Bob wrote:
riceme wrote:

Well that's disappointing, but understandable. Be warned that for tight-asses like you and me, Monterey and surrounding areas are *extremely* expensive. Were I you and coming from SF, I would buy some groceries in the city before you haul-out to Monterey.

PLEASE do not miss the Winchester Mystery House outside of San Jose. It is very interesting, and in our shared off-beat sense of humor my (now ex) husband took me up to Monterey for a long weekend, enjoyed several extremely nice meals one of which was the best meal I have ever had in a restaurant, in the Monterey area which was very rare for us. If I'm the Princess of Cheap, he's the King or would give you a run for your money for that title... lol. We did some amazing sightseeing in the area, then he told me we were going up to the Winchester Mystery House, at which point I squealed, clapped my hands, and bounced up and down in the seat of the truck. Turns out, that was the desired effect.

That's where our shared off-beat sense of humor comes into play. After the official tour, we explored the grounds, which are very beautiful... not at all my style, but beautiful nonetheless. He led me to a private area in the gardens and proposed to me there. I don't imagine that many people can say that they were proposed to at the Winchester Mystery House. But yeah, nothing sappy or over a candle-lit dinner (that is just so not my style)... just a happy, funny experience and story. The house has some of the most AMAZING antiques and finishes that I really think you'd dig.

Winchester Mystery House:
http://www.winchestermysteryhouse.com/
Directions from Monterey to WMH via Google Maps:
http://goo.gl/maps/cgkij

I also recommend driving ~4mi South of Monterey on Hwy 1 and exploring Carmel, its beaches, and taking a gorgeous drive East on Carmel Valley Road (County Rd G16 @Carmel Rancho Shopping Ctr, SE corner of intersection), which is just South of town. There are several GORGEOUS State Parks just South of town which you can likely get into for free this time of year (I honestly don't remember). As I recall, we turned West off Hwy1 onto Ribiera Rd (public road just South of Carmel Valley Rd, public access) to get some nice views of the Pacific Coastline.

Oh! I nearly forgot... Before you actually come into Carmel, if you make a very hard right turn (300-degree) turn off Hwy1 onto the 68W then make an *immediate* hard left onto 17 Mile Drive, that will take you on a more scenic but less direct route to Carmel Beach City Park. If memory serves you can hike down to the beach from there, but there are undoubtedly beautiful views of the Pacific Coastline from there.

Link to GoogleMaps Directions to Carmel Beach City Park fr/Monterey:
http://goo.gl/maps/DL0qY
Helpful reviews fr/Yelp:
http://www.yelp.com/biz/carmel-beach-city-park-carmel#hrid:BlJHI13DFBL2dZrem2UZag
http://www.yelp.com/biz/carmel-beach-city-park-carmel#hrid:eShCddz29SQuz72rAWWr1A

The above reviews reminded me to mention to you that it will be
cold and windy, especially since you are used to a very warm climate. Which brings me to your inquiry regarding chains. Were it me, I would negotiate for a free upgrade to a 4WD vehicle. But since it sounds like you'll only be in the park for a partial day (is that correct??) not only do I recommend tire chains, but the park website also recommends tire chains this time of year.

While the forecast for next week is cold and windy, CURRENTLY the only immediate forecast for snow is 75% chance tonight and tomorrow and black ice warnings are in effect. That being said, it is critical that you understand that weather in the Sierras can and often does change at a moment's notice, and those changes are most often severe. I would never go into the Sierras without chains. Hell, if you don't use them you can sell them as brand new on eBay or whatever once you get home. Far better to be safe than sorry.

Oh, for some reason I was thinking you were going to be here next week, but I just looked and see that it's actually next MONTH. Now I really do recommend negotiating for a free upgrade to a 4WD rental (and do it now so you don't get stuck without). Per below link, roads are scheduled be open this time of year subject to wx, snowfall, etc.

Yosemite Nat'l Park:
http://www.nps.gov/yose/index.htm
Note right-hand side links to:
- Operating hours & seasons
- Winter
- Current Conditions: Road & Traffic Info

Regarding your accommodations in Monterey, I'd stay at the one near Fisherman's Wharf were I you. As you said earlier, how could you not? It's likely a once in a lifetime trip. Get the real feel of the town and have all the best experiences you can.

Regarding Pfeiffer Beach, we did go there but right before we arrived a huge storm suddenly came in and it was just a nightmare downpour with extremely high winds. We braved it and did actually go down to the beach, but honestly it was cold, miserable, windy and wet, so we trucked it back to the hotel to get dry and change clothes.

I lived in SF right on the corner of Noe Valley, the Mission District and the Castro one summer when I was in college (which I often forget about for some reason). I'd imagine that you would enjoy the hell out of the Mission District, as there are tons of really cool thrift shops and of course amazing Mexican food on the Super-Cheap.

14Perfect place for Bob Empty Re: Perfect place for Bob 12/6/2012, 9:19 am

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Thanks so much for the tips, rice. I may not be brave enough to try to drive to Yosemite in the winter. But I'll check the road conditions when I'm out there.

15Perfect place for Bob Empty Re: Perfect place for Bob 12/6/2012, 10:21 am

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

I liked the Monterey Bay Aquarium and cannery Row...Rent a bicycle and take a ride around there...really relaxing place.

16Perfect place for Bob Empty Re: Perfect place for Bob 12/6/2012, 11:03 am

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

I hope I'm in shape to hike up to the top of Mt. Davidson so I can see this view of the city.

http://media.baycitizen.org/uploaded/images/2011/2/downtown-san-francisco-mt-davidson/original/Downtown.jpg

17Perfect place for Bob Empty Re: Perfect place for Bob 12/6/2012, 6:02 pm

TEOTWAWKI wrote:I liked the Monterey Bay Aquarium and cannery Row...Rent a bicycle and take a ride around there...really relaxing place.

Oh I definitely agree.

Bob, regarding Yosemite, if I were you I'd do some research and whatall on Yosemite before you go, watch the weather out here, then decide once you get here and you have a better idea what the wx is going to be the day and the day before you plan to go.

I bet El Capitan would be gorgeous in the winter snow. I'd do my best to not miss it, at any rate.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum