Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Hospice.....good people doing good things

+7
othershoe1030
Hospital Bob
boards of FL
Nekochan
Sal
knothead
2seaoat
11 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

2seaoat

Bad report on last cat scan as the tumors did not grow by centimeters, but the last report showed no growth, this report showed growth in the MM range, but growth nonetheless. The Endocrine Cancer is wonderfully slow but certain.

So, I took the wife to a local hospice facility about a 100 miles from Northwestern Hospital. It is a wonderful place with very nice people. I know people get uncomfortable when I talk about these things, but it is all good by me, and hopefully will assist others when dealing with similar issues. The way this county sets up their hospice program is to maximize care in the home, and offer assistance to caretakers for the terminally Ill. I weigh 230 lbs and am over 6' 3" and my wife is in the 150 range and 5'8", and not really able to handle somebody of my size.

You need to first and foremost figure out how the bathrooms will be utilized from where you will be sleeping. I sleep currently in a lazy boy and plan to not get a hospital bed. We installed a handicap accessible toilet and grab bars last summer, and are in the process of modifying the bathroom tub to allow easy sit down showers. Hospice will come into the home as needed, and the wonderful thing is that they are set up to take a patient a few days in a state of the art facility to give families relief as a patient is going through a bad stage. Beautiful views of pristine woods, an area where family can sleep on couches and lazy boys with a glass pocket door, a large screen tv, and a wonderful fully tiled bathroom for showers anywhere and room to sit down and move a wheelchair if necessary.

The really cool part is the family kitchen, family showers, family room with tv, and a kids room filled with age appropriate toys. Grandchildren, children, and spouses can be comfortable until the very end. Pain control is their specialty and they coordinate with your doc on a end game plan.

I think it is important for people who are terminally ill to take the pressure off loved ones and embrace the care of strangers and make sure you communicate that this is the way you want it.....without burden on the caretaker. My wife was uncomfortable at first, but after seeing the facility, she was very happy that we made the stop and talked to the folks in advance. We are getting this death thing down pretty good, and it is important as a society that we not fear the discussion, that we recognize limits, and engage our brains........I am very happy to report that these folks are doing a wonderful job.

The folks that work in hospice are heroes of the highest order. You are doing the right thing by unselfishly preparing.

knothead

knothead

2seaoat wrote:Bad report on last cat scan as the tumors did not grow by centimeters, but the last report showed no growth, this report showed growth in the MM range, but growth nonetheless. The Endocrine Cancer is wonderfully slow but certain.

So, I took the wife to a local hospice facility about a 100 miles from Northwestern Hospital. It is a wonderful place with very nice people. I know people get uncomfortable when I talk about these things, but it is all good by me, and hopefully will assist others when dealing with similar issues. The way this county sets up their hospice program is to maximize care in the home, and offer assistance to caretakers for the terminally Ill. I weigh 230 lbs and am over 6' 3" and my wife is in the 150 range and 5'8", and not really able to handle somebody of my size.

You need to first and foremost figure out how the bathrooms will be utilized from where you will be sleeping. I sleep currently in a lazy boy and plan to not get a hospital bed. We installed a handicap accessible toilet and grab bars last summer, and are in the process of modifying the bathroom tub to allow easy sit down showers. Hospice will come into the home as needed, and the wonderful thing is that they are set up to take a patient a few days in a state of the art facility to give families relief as a patient is going through a bad stage. Beautiful views of pristine woods, an area where family can sleep on couches and lazy boys with a glass pocket door, a large screen tv, and a wonderful fully tiled bathroom for showers anywhere and room to sit down and move a wheelchair if necessary.

The really cool part is the family kitchen, family showers, family room with tv, and a kids room filled with age appropriate toys. Grandchildren, children, and spouses can be comfortable until the very end. Pain control is their specialty and they coordinate with your doc on a end game plan.

I think it is important for people who are terminally ill to take the pressure off loved ones and embrace the care of strangers and make sure you communicate that this is the way you want it.....without burden on the caretaker. My wife was uncomfortable at first, but after seeing the facility, she was very happy that we made the stop and talked to the folks in advance. We are getting this death thing down pretty good, and it is important as a society that we not fear the discussion, that we recognize limits, and engage our brains........I am very happy to report that these folks are doing a wonderful job.

I am so sorry that it is growing now more rapidly but you seem to have a clear mind and an even clearer vision of what will be and how you want to control it the best you can. I've said it before Mr. Oats and I'll say it again, you're a good man and damn it I hope you post up to the bitter end. When my expiration date comes I only pray I will be half as courageous as you sir.

Sal

Sal

All the best, Mr. Oats.

Nekochan

Nekochan

I have heard people say that they wished they had called on Hospice earlier than they did to help with the care of their family member.
Best wishes to you, Seaoat.

I applaud your strength and the ability to share your knowledge. Thank you.....................................

boards of FL

boards of FL

My grandmother used the services of Hospice when she passed last year and we all thought that it was a good experience. I actually have never met anyone that reported a bad experience from that organization.

Very sorry to hear about the growth, though, 2seaoat.

Neutral

Sorry to hear about the growth. You are a strong person.

We had hosice for my Mom when she passed awway 6 years this coming jan 1. They were great, she passed at home with all her children and family with her, thats what she wanted. I was on watch when she took her last breath. It was still very hard. Its a good idea when the tie comes to have maybe a family member or freind or a nurse to be arround to help with your wife up to those last moments. Sad

Anyway, I just wanted to say sorry for all the shit Ive given you Razz

And if you beleive in the Lord as your savior, he will be there for you.
I will pray for a miracle......................
------

Accepting each and every moment as it unfolds with a sense of appreciation and being present with all that you are as it flows through you is freedom. Freedom from anxiety, freedom from worry, freedom from your fear ♥️

[img]Hospice.....good people doing good things Sky10[/img]

Wishing you the most happiness as ever till you reach your final destination I love you

2seaoat

I have heard people say that they wished they had called on Hospice earlier than they did to help with the care of their family member.

I think it is very important to understand the role of hospice early enough in the process. You also need to review with insurance, costs of the different levels of care, and plan as best you can. Not everybody is blessed with a longer planing horizon, and sadly often people do not have the time to deal with the certainty of death, and the realities which that entails. We have had to deal with a very difficult time with my wife's mother for a three year period where my wife lived a life of guilt and pain, when her mother simply lost her mind with sundowners, and other mental disabilities brought on by age and fear. I am very fortunate. I can do just about everything I could do at 35, and I have not lost all my friends....my family is not distant, and because of my relative youth, I have not had to suffer a bit of mental distress.

The focus must be on the caretakers. I have seen too many caretakers predecease the ill because of this emotional wear and tear of guilt and exhaustion. There should be no guilt, and there certainly does not have to be exhaustion if folks plan, and recognize reality. I have already convinced some of the nurses at the facility that I will be teaching them how to play poker, and who knows......I might even be able to convince them to play strip poker......dirty old man.....to the end.

Enjoy the days you still have, SeaOat. Nobody knows how much time we have left.

Hospice people are good people... of course, you already know that.

2seaoat

I have never been happier, and perhaps I struggle at times, but overall I could easily go 2 years with a high quality of life.....or I could slip and be gone in 6 months......no big deal because as you have stated we all have unknown expiration dates.....I just have a little more information than most, and with that information I can hopefully ease the burden on loved ones and simply show them that faith and a positive attitude may not change a thing in the overall plan......but death is as much a part of living as birth is a part of dying.....enjoy every minute, plan accordingly.......and irritate and argue to the end.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

knothead wrote: I only pray I will be half as courageous as you sir.
Amen

I'm not going to be courageous when it comes to the end and I know it and am suffering. I'm going to take myself out like my friend did who had stomach cancer. Hospice was involved w/ her and she saved up her morphine and ended it at the age of 45. There is no sense in going through all that because you think Jesus is waiting for you.

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

Sorry, seaoat to hear of more growth. I am hoping that you will far exceed your maximum life expectancy of two years!

My experience with hospice services was rather sudden, not allowing for any planning as my late husband died within one month of being diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. Their nurses swooped in and really helped the hospital nurses adjust medications to best suit the needs of my husband.

My long term help came with the grief counseling that followed his death. This is another very important service they provide the caregivers and family members.

VectorMan

VectorMan

othershoe1030 wrote:Sorry, seaoat to hear of more growth. I am hoping that you will far exceed your maximum life expectancy of two years!

My experience with hospice services was rather sudden, not allowing for any planning as my late husband died within one month of being diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. Their nurses swooped in and really helped the hospital nurses adjust medications to best suit the needs of my husband.

My long term help came with the grief counseling that followed his death. This is another very important service they provide the caregivers and family members.

I've always thought you were a man for some reason. Please don't take any offense.

I've had 2 experiences with Hospice. Fantastic people. Their main plan is to make sure there is no pain for the patient.

We did get rid of the first nurse in one case. She was more interested in what time she got off of work than the patient. She probably didn't stay with Hospice too much longer.

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

VectorMan wrote:
othershoe1030 wrote:Sorry, seaoat to hear of more growth. I am hoping that you will far exceed your maximum life expectancy of two years!

I've always thought you were a man for some reason. Please don't take any offense.

I've had 2 experiences with Hospice. Fantastic people. Their main plan is to make sure there is no pain for the patient.

We did get rid of the first nurse in one case. She was more interested in what time she got off of work than the patient. She probably didn't stay with Hospice too much longer.

I had a similar experience with finding a good hospice service. At the time there were two in the Mobile area. The first group did not seem to know what they were doing. given our situation I did not have time to tolerate their lack of know-how and quickly made contact with the other group. This second knowledgeable group is the Covenant Hospice group you see in this area too. They were so helpful during his illness and then months later I contacted them here in the Milton area and attended grief counseling here at no cost I might add. Vector, check your PM

VectorMan

VectorMan

othershoe1030 wrote:
VectorMan wrote:

I had a similar experience with finding a good hospice service. At the time there were two in the Mobile area. The first group did not seem to know what they were doing. given our situation I did not have time to tolerate their lack of know-how and quickly made contact with the other group. This second knowledgeable group is the Covenant Hospice group you see in this area too. They were so helpful during his illness and then months later I contacted them here in the Milton area and attended grief counseling here at no cost I might add. Vector, check your PM

I also attended the grief counseling. It helped more than I can express in words. It literally changed my life and how I look at all things.

It was Covenant Hospice when I lived in Milton.

I don't really know/remember what Hospice it was with my Mom in Mobile in 2007.

Markle

Markle

May God bless and comfort you and your family 2seaoat.

Captn Kaoz

Captn Kaoz

Mr Oat,
Sorry to hear about your growth. I wish you all the best. You are truly brave. I had an experience with hospice in Minneapolis last year when my mom passed away. They were the most kind and understanding people I have ever met. We were able to contact them 24/7. They visited every other day but would come sooner if we needed them. They provided a hospital bed free of charge but my mother would not use it. She passed away on 18 December 2011 on her sofa surrounded by her family.

nochain wrote:The folks that work in hospice are heroes of the highest order. You are doing the right thing by unselfishly preparing.

Correct!...Heroes that provide some care...comfort...and dignity with compassion when it's needed most!...Truly a GREAT group of professionals that will assist in a time of real need...

PBulldog2

PBulldog2

I'm so sorry about the tumor growth, Seaoat. You are doing the right thing by checking out the alternatives before the need for them arises. I especially appreciate your focus on caregivers - they are often the forgotten.

We had hospice when my mother was dying at home. While I know the professionals are heroes and heroines, we also need to consider the non-professional personnel, the aides. When Mom was dying, it was the aide (the so-called "sitter") who supported us, the family, as well as my mother.

I recall spending afternoons with one of those ladies. We discussed the meaning of life and the release of death. She was a philosopher of sorts. The support she provided to me as well as my family members was so important - critical, even.

This lady came day after day until my mother finally passed. She was there when my mother died, surrounded by all of her daughters.

Thank you, Seaoat, for initiating this discussion.

2seaoat wrote:Bad report on last cat scan as the tumors did not grow by centimeters, but the last report showed no growth, this report showed growth in the MM range, but growth nonetheless. The Endocrine Cancer is wonderfully slow but certain.

Hospice.....good people doing good things 9k=

Sorry and saddened to hear your problem recurred.

I'm glad to hear you found helpful people to assist you with your troubles.

*****SMILE*****

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhat-xUQ6dw

Smile

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum