Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Good people simply do good things

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Good people simply do good things Empty Good people simply do good things 12/26/2013, 1:06 pm

2seaoat

http://www.pnj.com/article/20131226/NEWS01/312260005/Bitcoin-currency-fuels-unique-program-to-help-Escambia-s-needy

Leave it to government to screw something up and offer no alternative.

PBulldog2

PBulldog2

Although I am not affiliated with Sean's Outpost, I totally support what they are doing. I hope to be able to attend the zoning meeting in January.

2seaoat

Do you know where this 9 acre wooded lot is located? I am sure some surrounding neighbors do not want a campground next to their residential homes, but at some point the reality must be addressed. A special use permit which had conditions might be a starting point. In order for this solution to be viable it must be within reasonable walking distance from where people are now. In many communities they create these sanctuaries 10 miles from the downtown area which is rural, isolated, and creates no neighbor problems, but they usually fail without some type of bus program.

The debate at city hall is always that if we create a sanctuary, more homeless will come. 835 human beings wandering around without shelter is a reality which needs to be addressed.

PBulldog2

PBulldog2

2seaoat wrote:Do you know where this 9 acre wooded lot is located?  I am sure some surrounding neighbors do not want a campground next to their residential homes, but at some point the reality must be addressed.  A special use permit which had conditions might be a starting point.  In order for this solution to be viable it must be within reasonable walking distance from where people are now.   In many communities they create these sanctuaries 10 miles from the downtown area which is rural, isolated, and creates no neighbor problems, but they usually fail without some type of bus program.

The debate at city hall is always that if we create a sanctuary, more homeless will come.   835 human beings wandering around without shelter is a reality which needs to be addressed.

No, I don't know the precise location, but I have a good idea where it is.

As far as I am concerned, the city caused this to happen when they passed the ordinance that disallowed the homeless from sleeping under a blanket during the cold winter.

As someone who has often interacted with the homeless in a professional setting, I was stunned by that ordinance.

What does the city expect the homeless to do? Freeze to death out of fear of going to jail for sleeping under a blanket?

PBulldog2

PBulldog2

Had to look it up again for the precise location. Here it is:

"Enter Satoshi Forest. The location at 1999 Massachusetts Ave, Pensacola, FL encompasses nine acres of wooded land that will now become, as Jason King describes it, “a homeless sanctuary, a place where the downtrodden can find respite from the ‘crime’ of being simply being poor.” The property cost $89,000 to purchase, which, King writes, “for acreage within the developed part of greater Pensacola, is dirt cheap.” The mortgage on the property, valued at $600 per month, will be paid entirely in Bitcoin – not, King clarifies, by converting the BTC donations that they receive into USD, but sending bitcoins directly to the mortgage holder as payment. The mortgage holder is in fact a real-estate company with properties in Florida, Alabama, Colorado and California and, thanks to the Sean’s Outpost crew’s efforts, the company is now accepting Bitcoin for its entire portfolio."

Here is the URL for the above quote. The website shows a picture of the property:
http://bitcoinmagazine.com/6939/seans-outpost-announces-satoshi-forest/

2seaoat

Thanks with the cemetery and woods this could easily be screened from adjacent residential areas. I wonder if the acres include the lakes? Please let us know what the zoning meetings determine. This area is definitely walking distance from the downtown area and this site is not isolated, but looking at google maps.......there are a great many residents west of the site which are not going to be happy.

PBulldog2

PBulldog2

Bumped for Z-man.  Very Happy 

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

PBulldog2 wrote:Bumped for Z-man.    Very Happy 

Thanks, I missed the Seoat's post...... Cool 

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

Tent cities. The Obama reality.

2seaoat

Tent cities. The Obama reality.

800 homeless people in Pensacola area and you can bet on one sure thing.....President Obama bears little responsibility for their fate and is working to help the least among us.

Chrissy wrote:Tent cities. The Obama reality.

You're probably a few paychecks from the streets yourself so maybe you should be kissing his ass he's President. Dumb people like you think it can never happen to them.

Dreamsglore wrote:

You're probably a few paychecks from the streets yourself so maybe you should be kissing his ass he's President. Dumb people like you think it can never happen to them.

like I said. tent cities. the Obama reality.

PBulldog2

PBulldog2

Chrissy wrote:
Dreamsglore wrote:

Satori Forest, which has already become a reality, will eventually be comprised of tiny houses on wheels, not tents. If there are tents there in the interim, what is the harm?

After all, the Hayward reality is that homeless people sleeping under blankets on a 30 degree night will wind up in jail, where the taxpayers will foot the bill.

Which reality is better?

Over 800 homeless,failing schools, high crime and we build a Big 5, 000+ seat ball park.

PBulldog2 wrote:
Chrissy wrote:
Dreamsglore wrote:

Satori Forest, which has already become a reality, will eventually be comprised of tiny houses on wheels, not tents. If there are tents there in the interim, what is the harm?

After all, the Hayward reality is that homeless people sleeping under blankets on a 30 degree night will wind up in jail, where the taxpayers will foot the bill.

Which reality is better?

sometimes, its best to leave things alone and let life live. if homeless people are breaking laws, then the right place for them is jail. if they are not, then leave them alone. MOst of these poeple have serious issues, not for public consumption, know what I mean?

This is going to create one big mistake. homeless are going to flock to your area now. You may feel good now becuase you think youre doing a nice thing, hind sight is going to nip y'all in the butt on this one.

PBulldog2

PBulldog2

Oh baloney, Chrissy!

The right place for homeless people in Pensacola who are freezing is jail? Just because Hayward and his crowd say so?

OK, whatever you say. Let's load up an already over-crowded jail with people who just happen to be homeless......all because they slept under a blanket.

My God. Whatever happened to empathy, common sense and common decency?

PBulldog2 wrote:Oh baloney, Chrissy!

The right place for homeless people in Pensacola who are freezing is jail? Just because Hayward and his crowd say so?

OK, whatever you say. Let's load up an already over-crowded jail with people who just happen to be homeless......all because they slept under a blanket.

My God. Whatever happened to empathy, common sense and common decency?

I said if they broke laws.

Look, I cant save the world. Neither can you. Donate to charity if you feel the need to give. There are homeless shelters in pensacola. I know for a fact.

You are going to regret this. When you have 800 drunken crack heads all together and then more come and more come and more come. Remember, I will tell you I told you so LOL

Guess this seals the deal for me ever moving back there. na na na

Good people simply do good things Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2w_-cu2epZE-4FOVkgmGCKpQE6JRsqkIkkPZGEqwqjqydBFEd

*****SMILE*****

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkje4FiH9Qc

Smile 

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum