Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Robert Reich: Why we should stop obsessing about the federal budget deficit

+4
Sal
Hospital Bob
Markle
Floridatexan
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

Bob wrote:We now have a national mindset that believes one political ideology (and it's accompanying pied pipers) can magically fix all that ails us. And believes another political ideology will destroy everything.
Half the population believes one is the messiah and the other the devil, and the other half believes the opposite.
It's all straight out of the Bible and a World Wrestling Federation script.

But the real world, and in particular the national and the world economy, does not lend itself to that kind of utter simplification.
Neither applying "austerity" alone nor continued wreckless borrowing and spending alone is any solution to it. In the absence of some NEW ideas, I'm becoming less convinced that there is any outcome which does not result in a lot of suffering.

There has already been a lot of suffering. Where were you? You can't always stand in the middle and disparage both sides, Bob. Sometimes, you have to take a stand.

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

Bob wrote:
Sal wrote:Of course there's an incentive.

Money.

It's called disaster capitalism.

Create a crisis, and in response to the crisis - deregulate, crush unions, slash public spending, and privatize everything in sight.[/font]

And in your mind those "plutocrat overlords" would be represented by the Romney crowd.
Only problem is the "deregulate, crush unions, slash public spending, and privatize everything in sight" which romney and the "plutocrats" wanted to happen, required that romney or someone like him got elected.
But that aint what got elected so now it's back to the drawing board for the plutocrat overlords.
In order for a team of football players to get all the endorsements and other perks, requires that it not be the team which loses the Superbowl.
That's rule number one in the overlord business. lol

Anonymous has claimed to taking down the planned electronic voter tampering.

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

Bob wrote:
Floridatexan wrote:

Yes, they do. It's called GREED. They got theirs; then they took everyone else's...pensions, homes, jobs.

The jobs and pensions were lost because both democrats and republicans sent the jobs overseas.
But in the defense of both, it was probably inevitable anyway. A big part of the rest of the world was a "sleeping giant who awakened". And they were willing to do those jobs for a fraction of what we need (notice I said "need" and not "want". Because to live in that post-WW2 society we had required higher wages).
All the government policy contributed was greasing the skids that were already being built.

We all participated in the "losing homes". The people started living beyond their means. The lenders and builders and everyone employed by those and the whole damn spinoff economy were all in favor of them living beyond their means because they all got profits and jobs as a result of it. The whole country contributed to the "uncollapsible" bubble.
And yes of course the financial system wanted it too because they so easily sold pieces of the bubble as investments.
And since EVERYBODY was in favor of it, so were BOTH the democrat AND the republican politicians. That's how they get elected/re-elected.

Not an "overlord conspiracy". Just human failing. lol

Bull. Do you think the average man on the street with a mortgage really was paying attention to people who worked at Goldman Sachs basically committing fraud? No, Hell, No. They were out there trying to make a living and pay the bills, and raise their kids, and hopefully have a little something left over for the future. We're NOT TO BLAME. Just like the BOOMERS aren't to blame as a whole for the actions of a few. The problem is that the few have gotten together and decided that they're getting all the spoils and everyone else is getting the shaft. Am I getting through to you yet?

Sal

Sal

Bob wrote:
Sal wrote:Of course there's an incentive.

Money.

Create a crisis, and in response to the crisis - deregulate, crush unions, slash public spending, and privatize everything in sight.[/font]

And in your mind those "plutocrat overlords" would be represented by the Romney crowd.
Only problem is the "deregulate, crush unions, slash public spending, and privatize everything in sight" which romney and the "plutocrats" wanted to happen, required that romney or someone like him got elected.
But that aint what got elected so now it's back to the drawing board for the plutocrat overlords.
In order for a team of football players to get all the endorsements and other perks, requires that it not be the team which loses the Superbowl.
That's rule number one in the overlord business. lol

You don't understand what's going on.

That's OK.

Keep voting GOP.

lol

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Floridatexan wrote:

Bull. Do you think the average man on the street with a mortgage really was paying attention to people who worked at Goldman Sachs basically committing fraud? No, Hell, No. They were out there trying to make a living and pay the bills, and raise their kids, and hopefully have a little something left over for the future. We're NOT TO BLAME. Just like the BOOMERS aren't to blame as a whole for the actions of a few. The problem is that the few have gotten together and decided that they're getting all the spoils and everyone else is getting the shaft. Am I getting through to you yet?
I have a long time friend who is a Gulf Power lineman. He bought a high rise condo in Ft. Walton Beach before construction began. He bought it because he convinced himself he could flip it when the building was finished and double his money.
And now he's having to delay his retirement because he's stuck with paying a $2500 mortgage payment on a condo he can't sell.
Goldman Sachs didn't have a thing to do with his decision. His boogeyman was his own greed. And there were thousands more like him.

And besides, if your boogeyman is Goldman Sachs then you've been rooting for the wrong team. lol

https://www.google.com/search?q=goldman+sachs+ties+to+obama&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

Yella

Yella

Bob wrote:
Sal wrote:If Congress would've forced banks to write down mortgages to fair market value and refinance them into thirty-year fixed mortgages, and had the Fed printed and distributed money directly to consumers rather than playing around with quantitative easing monetary policy, the downturn would be long over and the economy would be booming.

However, this sort of approach does not please our plutocratic overlords.

Thus austerity.
Now you've finally come full circle and joined the tinfoiler crowd with teo. lol

But regardless if you call it "The New World Order" or the Overlords from Pluto, the premise is just not logical. The overlords would themselves benefit when they're overlording over a "booming economy". They have no incentive to intentionally put the economy their overlording into shambles. lol

Well stated, Bob

http://warpedinblue,blogspot.com/

Markle

Markle

Obama says adding $4 trillion to debt is unpatriotic.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=1kuTG19Cu_Q

From a March 16, 2006 podcast on then Senator Obama’s congressional web site: (click to play)
Flashback: Obama on Debt Ceiling Increase in 2006

We are voting on the budget today. It’s a sad state of affairs, we just voted to increase the debt limit. The U.S. total debt at this point exceeds eight trillion dollars. That’s eight trillion with a “t”. So we’ve got to get our fiscal house in order here in Washington. I’m not sure it’s going to happen under the current leadership in Congress. But we’re going to see what kind of difference we can make. To make sure that veterans programs, student loan programs, low income housing assistance programs, homeland security dollars, are receiving the highest priority , not just tax cuts for the wealthiest .1% of the population.

By Andrew C. McCarthy
January 4, 2011 11:49 A.M.

From Sen. Obama’s Floor Speech, March 20, 2006:

The fact that we are here today to debate raising America’s debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. It is a sign that the U.S. Government can’t pay its own bills. It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from foreign countries to finance our Government’s reckless fiscal policies. … Increasing America’s debt weakens us domestically and internationally. Leadership means that “the buck stops here.” Instead, Washington is shifting the burden of bad choices today onto the backs of our children and grandchildren. America has a debt problem and a failure of leadership. Americans deserve better.

Obama, I'll cut the deficit by half by my first turn
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ziiZFcWChg&feature=related
[He Lied]

Floridatexan wrote:
Damaged Eagle wrote:
Floridatexan wrote:speil

I don't use credit cards.

Robert Reich:  Why we should stop obsessing about the federal budget deficit - Page 2 Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcST1t7BkN0OTFyFfimlDgsF1M9JOYCbjEZ1Gr6_vTaxtqDUgke-

When you practice what you preach for your daily finances you can give us lessons on national economics and spelling. Let us know if you were able to buy your way into posperity. Go ahead spend two or three times as much as your paycheck for the next ten years and see how it turns out for you. After all it's only...

*****SMILE*****

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkhX5W7JoWI

Smile

Look, you cornfed sack of pig manure, I said I don't use credit cards. Nor do I spend more than I have. And I started my career as a banker. I've balanced plenty of checkbooks; I've filed plenty of tax returns...my own, my childrens' trusts, and returns for friends who were behind on their taxes. And one more thing...I was a proofreader of annual and quarterly reports.

Robert Reich:  Why we should stop obsessing about the federal budget deficit - Page 2 Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSpKcM5ZFPI5tX2iU00d__odeiRUi3v89P8Yf99MDXBlz6EEe40cw

If you're so wise in the matters of money finance then why are you supporting spending more government money on ventures that will most likely fail?

I've had enough business and economics courses in college to know that nine out of ten start up businesses fail.

Want proof? How many green companies failed after the current president financed them billions of dollars?

Right now I view you as nothing more than a valley girl who's always had a silver spoon and doesn't know how to tighten the old belt for the bad times. By the way... Your Daddy got his little girl that job at the bank and secured her future didn't he?

You're so out of touch with reality that perhaps you should take your protein pill and put your helmet on...

*****CHUCKLE*****

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKE3FSPJu-4

Very Happy

Last edited by Damaged Eagle on 11/21/2012, 12:59 am; edited 1 time in total

NaNook

NaNook

You people are hostile....I've got mine and I'm tired of 30+ years of sharing.

Did anyone offer to refund property taxes for sending my kids to private schools? Who helped me educate my kids? I paid double....go screw yourself.

Floridatexan wrote:Yes, they do. It's called GREED. They got theirs; then they took everyone else's...pensions, homes, jobs. It doesn't matter to some people how many others they hurt in their quest to fatten their own wallets. Austerity right now would cripple an already weak recovery. The thing about the "overlords" is they want it and they want it now.

Robert Reich:  Why we should stop obsessing about the federal budget deficit - Page 2 Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRXKWuJlJllwmjeJ5-W6VdTr1BDlttbOpkFRS0njkMA4w6dQIKl

That's obvious when people with a silver spoon like you are supporting them.

Let's take a look at the health care bill people like you forced on everyone.

Who did it hurt and who did it help?...

You think the working poor who were possibly setting that money aside as equity towards a first home or better home by taking a chance of not having health care are thanking you?

How about the CEO's of the health insurance industry who now can take a bigger salary increase and bonus because they now have a increased demand for health care policies because the government with YOUR support has forced the working poor to utilize those funds buying policies from a private company just because they happen to be breathing?

You've made yourself and the government into the very overlords that you so blithely in your ignorance criticize...

*****SMILE*****

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_zks9fmDjc

Smile

Tell me silver spoon how much are your stocks in the health industry projected to go up by forcing your views of how it's 'for the good of the all' on the working poor?

Last edited by Damaged Eagle on 11/22/2012, 3:32 am; edited 4 times in total

Sal wrote:
Bob wrote:
Sal wrote:If Congress would've forced banks to write down mortgages to fair market value and refinance them into thirty-year fixed mortgages, and had the Fed printed and distributed money directly to consumers rather than playing around with quantitative easing monetary policy, the downturn would be long over and the economy would be booming.

Thus austerity.
Now you've finally come full circle and joined the tinfoiler crowd with teo. lol

But regardless if you call it "The New World Order" or the Overlords from Pluto, the premise is just not logical. The overlords would themselves benefit when they're overlording over a "booming economy". They have no incentive to intentionally put the economy their overlording into shambles. lol

Of course there's an incentive.

Money.

Create a crisis, and in response to the crisis - deregulate, crush unions, slash public spending, and privatize everything in sight.

Robert Reich:  Why we should stop obsessing about the federal budget deficit - Page 2 Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS6_TyGUEc2HXlTuMHDm7LV1Enbqz3CrFJzGoujNkcsqDvF-5RYnw

And USPS competes against companies like UPS and FedEX so well.

*****CHUCKLE*****

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9JEPeeohYs

Laughing

alecto wrote:
Floridatexan wrote:
Look, you cornfed sack of pig manure, I said I don't use credit cards. Nor do I spend more than I have. And I started my career as a banker. I've balanced plenty of checkbooks; I've filed plenty of tax returns...my own, my childrens' trusts, and returns for friends who were behind on their taxes. And one more thing...I was a proofreader of annual and quarterly reports.

Yet that is exactly what you expect the government to do.

Robert Reich:  Why we should stop obsessing about the federal budget deficit - Page 2 Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTBvtHPk9Ld6rt88hA8CDKVEE7MTIvVVXOjJZcLFy_Uwb1tH-0f

*****WARM SMILE*****

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZSWAkJ3h8E

Smile

Robert Reich:  Why we should stop obsessing about the federal budget deficit - Page 2 Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSXOQXAvgJMeBKYkE3sQHc-JvgjCAnLvFaeZ8zTgv1oc09xqtfS

*****CHUCKLE*****

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TLLcvWeiKw

Laughing

2seaoat

Did anyone offer to refund property taxes for sending my kids to private schools? Who helped me educate my kids? I paid double....go screw yourself.

If you made a good choice and got a good return on your investment....why the hostility.....I would think you would be proud of your sacrifices and the education you kids received.....unless....

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

Some people are incapable of understand that someone else's good fortune/hard work/ sacrifice doesn't diminish theirs. There's something known as win/win.

And the hog farmer can kiss it. I've had enough of you trying to justify your sickness. I certainly wasn't born with a silver spoon...not by any stretch of the imagination. What I was born with and acquired throughout my life is ability...and that came through hard work on my part.

NaNook

NaNook

2seaoat wrote:Did anyone offer to refund property taxes for sending my kids to private schools? Who helped me educate my kids? I paid double....go screw yourself.

If you made a good choice and got a good return on your investment....why the hostility.....I would think you would be proud of your sacrifices and the education you kids received.....unless....

I am happy with the results. I don't see any sacrifices on the part of those who chose to over-extend themselves and want me to bail them out! It's not my job...I took care of my own, why can't everyone? You lose money on a house....to bad, it's life. Don't drop your losses on me a taxpayer.....

Who will pay for my stock losses? Money lost is money lost, right?

Quit all of the crying and give-me BS. It's life, deal with it.

Floridatexan wrote:Some people are incapable of understand that someone else's good fortune/hard work/ sacrifice doesn't diminish theirs. There's something known as win/win.

And the hog farmer can kiss it. I've had enough of you trying to justify your sickness. I certainly wasn't born with a silver spoon...not by any stretch of the imagination. What I was born with and acquired throughout my life is ability...and that came through hard work on my part.

Robert Reich:  Why we should stop obsessing about the federal budget deficit - Page 2 Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT-BwIEXD55DQtPU3QHYy7G4PvYP7fgsHRY-JxFLIaYF9TdVH_d

Spoken like a true silver spoon in denial of her... how did you put it?..., that's right,... good fortune. I sure it was hard work..... persuading... people to provide you even more and no I'm not interested in kissing your..... persuasion... or any other part of you.

*****CHUCKLE*****

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYikyYL0S00

Smile

Thanks for not answering the questions I posed. It only proves that you wish to maintain your pathetic attempts at illusion and deception.

Markle

Markle

Floridatexan wrote:
alecto wrote:
Floridatexan wrote:

Yet that is exactly what you expect the government to do.

No, it isn't. There's no comparison. And there's really not much choice, since the Republicans decided to give away the economy to their "base". It's the revolving door that keeps the masses satisfied with bread and circuses. We elect and expect policies that are for the benefit of the many; what we get instead is something CALLED the greater good, which is actually NOT. What we had is Cheney-style "greater good" which ended up making piles of cash for the few on the backs of the many. There's no reason to compound that error, and there's NO WAY BACK EXCEPT THROUGH SPENDING. FDR did it, but he got cold feet or bad advice and reversed course. He should have stuck with Keynes; instead he prolonged the Great Depression. There's no reason the majority should accept the terms of a small minority...we need austerity like a hole in the head.

Are you sober?

See Greece, Spain, Portugal, Italy even California and New York.

Markle

Markle

Sal wrote:If Congress would've forced banks to write down mortgages to fair market value and refinance them into thirty-year fixed mortgages, and had the Fed printed and distributed money directly to consumers rather than playing around with ineffective quantitative easing monetary policy, the downturn would be long over and the economy would be booming.

Thus austerity.

Please, share with us all where those trillions of dollars would come from? Why should the banks be punished when it was the government who strongly encouraged and forced the banks to make those loans?

Please share with us too why people who made bad decisions and bought houses in anticipation of making tens of thousands of dollars should be greatly rewarded and those who made good decisions should be so harshly punished?

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

Damaged Eagle wrote:
Floridatexan wrote:
Damaged Eagle wrote:
Floridatexan wrote:speil

I don't use credit cards.

Robert Reich:  Why we should stop obsessing about the federal budget deficit - Page 2 Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcST1t7BkN0OTFyFfimlDgsF1M9JOYCbjEZ1Gr6_vTaxtqDUgke-

When you practice what you preach for your daily finances you can give us lessons on national economics and spelling. Let us know if you were able to buy your way into posperity. Go ahead spend two or three times as much as your paycheck for the next ten years and see how it turns out for you. After all it's only...

*****SMILE*****

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkhX5W7JoWI

Smile

Robert Reich:  Why we should stop obsessing about the federal budget deficit - Page 2 Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSpKcM5ZFPI5tX2iU00d__odeiRUi3v89P8Yf99MDXBlz6EEe40cw

If you're so wise in the matters of money finance then why are you supporting spending more government money on ventures that will most likely fail?

I've had enough business and economics courses in college to know that nine out of ten start up businesses fail.

Want proof? How many green companies failed after the current president financed them billions of dollars?

Right now I view you as nothing more than a valley girl who's always had a silver spoon and doesn't know how to tighten the old belt for the bad times. By the way... Your Daddy got his little girl that job at the bank and secured her future didn't he?

You're so out of touch with reality that perhaps you should take your protein pill and put your helmet on...

*****CHUCKLE*****

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKE3FSPJu-4

Very Happy

Look, you POS. I've had enough of your sick, demented, fetid soul. You know NOTHING about me except what I choose to disclose. My daddy was well known and well liked in the community, but I was chosen for the job at the bank when my high school launched a vocational program, and I was selected because of my high grades. So, I worked part-time my last year in high school, part-time throughout my college years, and full-time every summer. That's how I paid for my own tuition and books. There were no handouts in my family of 5 children.

Floridatexan wrote:
Look, you POS. I've had enough of your sick, demented, fetid soul. You know NOTHING about me except what I choose to disclose. My daddy was well known and well liked in the community, but I was chosen for the job at the bank when my high school launched a vocational program, and I was selected because of my high grades. So, I worked part-time my last year in high school, part-time throughout my college years, and full-time every summer. That's how I paid for my own tuition and books. There were no handouts in my family of 5 children.

Robert Reich:  Why we should stop obsessing about the federal budget deficit - Page 2 Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQaznSlUkZvqBo_eK_nPfW2QKjB4K1TcTSt_ePHlYav8_pK03Oq6_QylvBJzA

Wow! That's not very lady like.

What's the matter daddy didn't teach you to be nice to people while he was setting you up for your career there silver spoon?

Yeah there's lots of people that would never consider taking a better paying bank job over stocking shelves at Wally-World for minimum wage. I'm sure your daddy and the influence he had in the community didn't have anything to do with the banks decision of who to hire...

*****SARCASTIC CHUCKLE*****

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nk1g6jJTsXY

Smile

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum