Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Barone: Romney to win comfortably

+4
Nekochan
2seaoat
Floridatexan
stormwatch89
8 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Barone: Romney to win comfortably Empty Barone: Romney to win comfortably 11/3/2012, 10:32 pm

http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2012/11/americas_premiere_political_guru_predicts_romney_in_an_ev_landslide.html

stormwatch89

stormwatch89

Gosh, I hope he's right, but am not so sure. Reading this kind of stuff makes me think that it's a lot easier to promise handouts than try to offer work and with our "entitlement" mentality, that's where the votes will be.

It could easily make him one of the most powerful "presidents" to date, I fear.

Roughly 100 million people—one-third of the U.S. population—receive aid from at least one means-tested welfare program each month. Average benefits come to around $9,000 per recipient. If converted to cash, means-tested welfare spending is more than five times the amount needed to eliminate all poverty in the United States.

Despite the fact that welfare spending was already at record levels when he took office, President Obama has increased federal means-tested welfare spending by more than a third. Benefits under “means-tested” programs are calculated based on a recipient’s means to support himself; in other words, they are intended to assist low-income Americans. The character of this aid is hand-out more than hand-up. Able-bodied recipients rarely are required to work or prepare for work to receive aid.

At the beginning of this year, only four of the 80-plus federal welfare programs had work requirements; the Obama Administration has now suspended the work requirements in two of these. After the Obama Administration suspended the work requirement from the food stamp program in 2009, the number of people on food stamps doubled.

The more than 80 federal means-tested aid programs provide cash, food, housing, medical care, and social services to low-income people. Here’s how the spending breaks down:

Federal: At $746 billion, federal means-tested spending exceeded spending on Medicare ($480 billion), Social Security ($725 billion), or the defense budget ($540 billion).
State: In 2011, state contributions into federal welfare programs came to $201 billion, and independent state programs contributed around $9 billion.
Combined: Overall means-tested welfare spending from federal and state sources reached from all sources reached $956 billion.

Some might argue that this is a reasonable, temporary response to the recession, but Obama seeks a permanent increase in the size of the welfare state.

According to the President’s budget plans for fiscal year 2013, means-tested welfare will not decline as the recession ends, but will continue to grow rapidly for the next decade. Overall, President Obama plans to spend $12.7 trillion on means-tested welfare over the next decade.

Welfare spending has long passed the amount spent on defense. In 1993, welfare spending exceeded defense spending for the first time since the Great Depression of the 1930s. In subsequent years, the ratio of welfare to defense spending averaged about $1.33 to $1. Obama’s spending plans would inflate this disparity: By 2022, there will be $2.33 in federal and state welfare spending for every $1 spent on national defense.

Needless to say—but we’ll say it anyway—Obama’s big spending plans will result in ruinous and unsustainable budget deficits. These deficits are, in part, the result of dramatic, permanent increases in means-tested welfare. An important step in reducing the federal deficit would be to return welfare spending to pre-recession levels.

Doubling the welfare rolls, handing out benefits without any work requirements, and spending twice as much on welfare as we spend on defense: This is Obama’s new normal.

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

Storm, you have failed to provide a link for all your claims.

Here's a discussion of government hiring during the last few presidents:

http://www.economist.com/blogs/buttonwood/2012/07/economic-policy

stormwatch89 wrote:Gosh, I hope he's right, but am not so sure. Reading this kind of stuff makes me think that it's a lot easier to promise handouts than try to offer work and with our "entitlement" mentality, that's where the votes will be.

It could easily make him one of the most powerful "presidents" to date, I fear.

Roughly 100 million people—one-third of the U.S. population—receive aid from at least one means-tested welfare program each month. Average benefits come to around $9,000 per recipient. If converted to cash, means-tested welfare spending is more than five times the amount needed to eliminate all poverty in the United States.

Despite the fact that welfare spending was already at record levels when he took office, President Obama has increased federal means-tested welfare spending by more than a third. Benefits under “means-tested” programs are calculated based on a recipient’s means to support himself; in other words, they are intended to assist low-income Americans. The character of this aid is hand-out more than hand-up. Able-bodied recipients rarely are required to work or prepare for work to receive aid.

At the beginning of this year, only four of the 80-plus federal welfare programs had work requirements; the Obama Administration has now suspended the work requirements in two of these. After the Obama Administration suspended the work requirement from the food stamp program in 2009, the number of people on food stamps doubled.

The more than 80 federal means-tested aid programs provide cash, food, housing, medical care, and social services to low-income people. Here’s how the spending breaks down:

Federal: At $746 billion, federal means-tested spending exceeded spending on Medicare ($480 billion), Social Security ($725 billion), or the defense budget ($540 billion).
State: In 2011, state contributions into federal welfare programs came to $201 billion, and independent state programs contributed around $9 billion.
Combined: Overall means-tested welfare spending from federal and state sources reached from all sources reached $956 billion.

Some might argue that this is a reasonable, temporary response to the recession, but Obama seeks a permanent increase in the size of the welfare state.

According to the President’s budget plans for fiscal year 2013, means-tested welfare will not decline as the recession ends, but will continue to grow rapidly for the next decade. Overall, President Obama plans to spend $12.7 trillion on means-tested welfare over the next decade.

Welfare spending has long passed the amount spent on defense. In 1993, welfare spending exceeded defense spending for the first time since the Great Depression of the 1930s. In subsequent years, the ratio of welfare to defense spending averaged about $1.33 to $1. Obama’s spending plans would inflate this disparity: By 2022, there will be $2.33 in federal and state welfare spending for every $1 spent on national defense.

Needless to say—but we’ll say it anyway—Obama’s big spending plans will result in ruinous and unsustainable budget deficits. These deficits are, in part, the result of dramatic, permanent increases in means-tested welfare. An important step in reducing the federal deficit would be to return welfare spending to pre-recession levels.

Doubling the welfare rolls, handing out benefits without any work requirements, and spending twice as much on welfare as we spend on defense: This is Obama’s new normal.

agreed and ive also read all that data. obama loves him some welfare peoples.

stormwatch89

stormwatch89

Floridatexan wrote:
Storm, you have failed to provide a link for all your claims.

Here's a discussion of government hiring during the last few presidents:

http://www.economist.com/blogs/buttonwood/2012/07/economic-policy

Sorry

http://blog.heritage.org/2012/10/18/morning-bell-welfare-spending-shattering-all-time-highs/

2seaoat

In order for the big lie to work.....there must be some truth. We certainly need to continue to make welfare the exception.....not the rule, but the Heritage Foundation....you know.....the folks which brought us Romney Care and Obama Care......and now work every living moment to allow the Oligarchy to continue to destroy the middle class and transfer the remaining wealth to the 1%......yep.....good link. I guess in the end it is simply how you look at people.

Another false article.Storm is following in Chrissy's footsteps posting falsities.Here's the truth:

http://www.factcheck.org/2012/08/does-obamas-plan-gut-welfare-reform/

stormwatch89

stormwatch89

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CMy2M32g4k

lol!

Nekochan

Nekochan

Of course, I hope he's right. But whoever wins, I just hope it's a decisive win. And not recount after recount crap. I don't know how well our country would take that right now. I hope that the losing side accepts and takes their bitter pill and I hope the winning side can try not to gloat (too much, anyway). And that we can get on with life, whatever the election hands us.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Nekochan wrote: I hope that the losing side accepts
hahahahahaha. that's a good one.

Nekochan

Nekochan

Bob wrote:
Nekochan wrote: I hope that the losing side accepts
hahahahahaha. that's a good one.

Accepts as in--doesn't go nuts. I don't expect the losing side to be happy.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Nekochan wrote:doesn't go nuts.

hahahahahahah. that's a good one too. lol!

Nekochan

Nekochan

Bob wrote:
Nekochan wrote:doesn't go nuts.

hahahahahahah. that's a good one too. lol!

Happy to keep you amused, Bob. clown

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

We're edging towards another civil war, neko. The two sides getting more tolerant of each other is about as likely as the yanks and the rebs getting along in 1861. In the words of old honest abe, we are a "house divided". lol

Nekochan

Nekochan

I know, Bob. It worries me.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Nekochan wrote:I know, Bob. It worries me.
It's not like it was a couple of decades ago. All you need do is listen to the media figures. listen to the politicians. listen to the bloggers. listen to the social media (this place is a good example). There is NO longer any shared feeling of being all one country. It's two sides who each see the other as the ENEMY.
Each side sees the other as the destroyer of the country.
The only thing short of civil war is outright shooting at each other. But in some ways it's even worse than the 1860's. Then they were divided over really only one issue ("slavery" or "states rights" depending on who is telling it). THIS TIME we are divided on literally EVERYTHING. There is no issue in which one side does not see the other as dead wrong and the enemy.
None of that is hyperbole.

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

Bob wrote:
It's not like it was a couple of decades ago. All you need do is listen to the media figures. listen to the politicians. listen to the bloggers. listen to the social media (this place is a good example). There is NO longer any shared feeling of being all one country. It's two sides who each see the other as the ENEMY.
The only thing short of civil war is outright shooting at each other. But in some ways it's even worse than the 1860's. Then they were divided over really only one issue ("slavery" or "states rights" depending on who is telling it). THIS TIME we are divided on literally EVERYTHING. There is no issue in which one side does not see the other as dead wrong and the enemy.None of that is hyperbole.

The ruling oligarchy is just loving this, too. Because, divided, we are easier to manipulate into their New World Order. If the truth were to ever filter through, we would unite against these manipulators and their heads would be publicly displayed on pikes for all to see.

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

gulfbeachbandit

gulfbeachbandit

ZVUGKTUBM wrote:
Bob wrote:
The only thing short of civil war is outright shooting at each other. But in some ways it's even worse than the 1860's. Then they were divided over really only one issue ("slavery" or "states rights" depending on who is telling it). THIS TIME we are divided on literally EVERYTHING. There is no issue in which one side does not see the other as dead wrong and the enemy.None of that is hyperbole.

The ruling oligarchy is just loving this, too. Because, divided, we are easier to manipulate into their New World Order. If the truth were to ever filter through, we would unite against these manipulators and their heads would be publicly displayed on pikes for all to see.

That is the smartest thing I have ever heard you say.
We have elected a ruling class. The only way to fix it is to replace them with working class. The way congress and the senate were designed.

boards of FL

boards of FL

Barone: Romney to win comfortably Joe-Biden-Laughing-Shaking-his-Head

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum