Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Coming soon to gallery night

4 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Coming soon to gallery night Empty Coming soon to gallery night 10/28/2012, 12:21 am

2Coming soon to gallery night Empty nothing different 10/28/2012, 8:57 am

surfnrg

surfnrg

actually what happened after this Gallery Nights is EXACTLY the same way the PPD clears the streets after all of the parades downtown. There was no difference. What was different was the closing of the streets at 9pm.

The evolving of Gallery Nights from its earlier form which centered around the arts to its present persona of a street party which really begins at around 8.30 is at the center of this controversy.

The cost of closing the streets for the extra three hours is about 1k an hour. Not all participants in Gallery nights who pay for this are located in this four block area i.e. Palafox Place. And of those participants only a few are bars, nightclubs or restaurants.

Traditional retailers are not staffed to stay open until midnight, nor would they profit whatsoever by doing so. Just the opposite when the crowd starts to get drunk at about 9pm the cost of staying open has far more liability for those types of retailers than does closing.

So the Yin and Yang for that section is that about half are traditional retailers who started Gallery Nights with the old Arts Council and the rest are bars, nightclubs and restaurants. Only 1/2 profit from the street remaining closed until midnight, whereas for the other half it is not only not profitable but ill advised to do so. This came about from the evolution of the old Gallery Nights as primarily an arts event to its new face as a street party. Which is better or which is worse is not the question, it is how to close the streets in an affordable manner for the businesses AND how to reopen them safely.

Clearly with the growth of the event to me, it is time for the City itself which is benefitting tremendously to step in and help defray the cost. The cost of closing the streets right now for traditional retailers eats up most of the profit for that night anyway.

Hopefully the city can step in and help. If there is another answer I think all involved would love to hear it.

3Coming soon to gallery night Empty Re: Coming soon to gallery night 10/28/2012, 9:05 am

surfnrg wrote:actually what happened after this Gallery Nights is EXACTLY the same way the PPD clears the streets after all of the parades downtown. There was no difference. What was different was the closing of the streets at 9pm.

The evolving of Gallery Nights from its earlier form which centered around the arts to its present persona of a street party which really begins at around 8.30 is at the center of this controversy.

The cost of closing the streets for the extra three hours is about 1k an hour. Not all participants in Gallery nights who pay for this are located in this four block area i.e. Palafox Place. And of those participants only a few are bars, nightclubs or restaurants.

Traditional retailers are not staffed to stay open until midnight, nor would they profit whatsoever by doing so. Just the opposite when the crowd starts to get drunk at about 9pm the cost of staying open has far more liability for those types of retailers than does closing.

So the Yin and Yang for that section is that about half are traditional retailers who started Gallery Nights with the old Arts Council and the rest are bars, nightclubs and restaurants. Only 1/2 profit from the street remaining closed until midnight, whereas for the other half it is not only not profitable but ill advised to do so. This came about from the evolution of the old Gallery Nights as primarily an arts event to its new face as a street party. Which is better or which is worse is not the question, it is how to close the streets in an affordable manner for the businesses AND how to reopen them safely.

Clearly with the growth of the event to me, it is time for the City itself which is benefitting tremendously to step in and help defray the cost. The cost of closing the streets right now for traditional retailers eats up most of the profit for that night anyway.

Hopefully the city can step in and help. If there is another answer I think all involved would love to hear it.

Youve written a very good description of how ive always veiwed gallery night. a block party.

im curious though at how you think the city is gaining so mch from this that they should pick up a larger portion of the tab?

4Coming soon to gallery night Empty Re: Coming soon to gallery night 10/28/2012, 12:40 pm

Yella

Yella

hallmarkgrad wrote:

Its a giant party, everyone laughing and walking around having fun listening to live music. Most people are drinking but I have never seen a fight or any sort of disturbance. When its time to be over the cops drive slowly down the street. Its sorta like herding cats at first but the police are patient and after a couple of drive throughs down Palafox everybody leaves.

I think we oughtta have more Gallery Nights.

http://warpedinblue,blogspot.com/

5Coming soon to gallery night Empty Re: Coming soon to gallery night 10/28/2012, 2:05 pm

Yella wrote:I think we oughtta have more Gallery Nights.

If we had more Gallery Nights, it wouldn't be special.

6Coming soon to gallery night Empty Re: Coming soon to gallery night 10/28/2012, 2:39 pm

Yella

Yella

Yomama wrote:

I imagine Studer has a finger in this pie. I don't think he wants a gallery night to happen when the Wahoos are playing figuring they would steal some of his business.

7Coming soon to gallery night Empty Re: Coming soon to gallery night 10/28/2012, 2:45 pm

Yella wrote:I imagine Studer has a finger in this pie. I don't think he wants a gallery night to happen when the Wahoos are playing figuring they would steal some of his business.

No doubt, Yellerfeller.

8Coming soon to gallery night Empty Re: Coming soon to gallery night 10/28/2012, 3:10 pm

Be nice. Studer wont like those comments.

Blue Wahoo Park attendance for Saturday 10/27= Zero(0) debt service $8,000

Blue Wahoo Park attendance for Sunday 10/28=Zero(0) Debt Service $8,000

Zero attendance ----- $16,000 for a weekend of nothing.

Cost to keep gallery night streets open until 12? $3,100

16,000/3,100=5.1 Nights the streets could be open for Gallery night or a weekend of nothing.

9Coming soon to gallery night Empty Re: Coming soon to gallery night 10/29/2012, 9:16 am

surfnrg

surfnrg

Rogue wrote:
surfnrg wrote:actually what happened after this Gallery Nights is EXACTLY the same way the PPD clears the streets after all of the parades downtown. There was no difference. What was different was the closing of the streets at 9pm.

Youve written a very good description of how ive always veiwed gallery night. a block party.

im curious though at how you think the city is gaining so mch from this that they should pick up a larger portion of the tab?

Assuming that

a. much like the kitchen is the "heart" of the home a city's 'heart' is its downtown.

b. gallery nights is good for our downtown

then the city should for its own sake help with gallery nights since it enhances the downtown district and therefore enhances the entire city's ability to attract more downtown businesses and relocations to the city.

There are a lot of reasons this is true, but not to debate them this is your answer in its short form.

10Coming soon to gallery night Empty both have been debated 10/29/2012, 9:20 am

surfnrg

surfnrg

Yella wrote:
Yomama wrote:

I imagine Studer has a finger in this pie. I don't think he wants a gallery night to happen when the Wahoos are playing figuring they would steal some of his business.

Both sides of the two former posts have been debated. Back when we only had four gallery nights per year it was argued that more would dilute the event. Now we have seven and there is still that same debate. My thinking is monthly would just grow the event more if that were possible. But you both have taken the sides that other businesses downtown have taken in this debate over the number of gallery nights.

So far as Studer his wife's business Bodacious Olive greatly benefits from gallery nights as that business is the lynchpin in taking gallery nights all the way to the bayfront and Jacos. It will happen in the future as more businesses locate down there since the prime area of Palafox Place is leased out. Carmen's just opened and another expresso bar is going in south of Don Alans....

11Coming soon to gallery night Empty Re: Coming soon to gallery night 10/29/2012, 11:52 am

Yella

Yella

surfnrg wrote:
Yella wrote:
Yomama wrote:

Both sides of the two former posts have been debated. Back when we only had four gallery nights per year it was argued that more would dilute the event. Now we have seven and there is still that same debate. My thinking is monthly would just grow the event more if that were possible. But you both have taken the sides that other businesses downtown have taken in this debate over the number of gallery nights.

So far as Studer his wife's business Bodacious Olive greatly benefits from gallery nights as that business is the lynchpin in taking gallery nights all the way to the bayfront and Jacos. It will happen in the future as more businesses locate down there since the prime area of Palafox Place is leased out. Carmen's just opened and another expresso bar is going in south of Don Alans....

I doubt that Carmens will last too long. The rent will eat her alive.The Olive Oil store will only stay in business because Studer probably owns the building.

12Coming soon to gallery night Empty Re: Coming soon to gallery night 10/29/2012, 2:48 pm

surfnrg

surfnrg

Yella wrote:
surfnrg wrote:
Yella wrote:
Yomama wrote:

I doubt that Carmens will last too long. The rent will eat her alive.The Olive Oil store will only stay in business because Studer probably owns the building.

Yes the Studers own all of the old Penko buildings both east and west side of palafox. Maury is a great chef it is a very nice small bar scene. My greatest desire for her would be successful, the build out took months longer and looks pretty pricey to me. Still good luck to her and everyone!

13Coming soon to gallery night Empty Re: Coming soon to gallery night 10/29/2012, 4:17 pm

Just another Studer project but I really hope she makes it I have heard a lot of good things about her and her food.

from PNJ

Josephs won the Pensacola Business Challenge, funded by Quint and Rishy Studer, to open her restaurant. The Studers are providing financial and other support.

14Coming soon to gallery night Empty Re: Coming soon to gallery night 10/29/2012, 4:48 pm

Yella

Yella

surfnrg wrote:
Yella wrote:
surfnrg wrote:
Yella wrote:
Yomama wrote:

I didn't mean to sound like I was putting her down. I hope she makes it too.

Yes the Studers own all of the old Penko buildings both east and west side of palafox. Maury is a great chef it is a very nice small bar scene. My greatest desire for her would be successful, the build out took months longer and looks pretty pricey to me. Still good luck to her and everyone!

15Coming soon to gallery night Empty Re: Coming soon to gallery night 10/29/2012, 5:28 pm

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

I buy the Winn Dixie store brand olive oil. But only when Pig Lots is out of it and the flea market vendor don't got any. Although the Winn Dixie oil is a little pricey for my blood. I've been thinking of squeezing the jar of olives from the flea market to see if I can get oil out of em.

16Coming soon to gallery night Empty Re: Coming soon to gallery night 10/29/2012, 5:43 pm

You know you should buy your Olive Oil from Mike down at Shoreline foods. He has his own olive grove in Greece and oversees the pressing of the oil. First rate stuff.

Coming soon to gallery night Shoreline
Coming soon to gallery night Extrav1l1-230x300

Last edited by hallmarkgrad on 10/29/2012, 6:46 pm; edited 1 time in total

17Coming soon to gallery night Empty Re: Coming soon to gallery night 10/29/2012, 5:56 pm

hallmarkgrad wrote:You know you should buy your Olive Oil from Mike down at Shoreline foods. He has his own olive trees in Greece and oversees the pressing of the oil. First rate stuff.

[/img]

Lemme beat Bob to the punch and ask how much it costs per litre.

Shocked

18Coming soon to gallery night Empty Re: Coming soon to gallery night 10/29/2012, 6:08 pm

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Shoreline is a really fine neighborhood grocer. But then again it's greek and I aint never seen a greek owned food or restaurant business that's not good.
Makes you wonder why those greeks in greece have flubbed up so bad.

19Coming soon to gallery night Empty Re: Coming soon to gallery night 10/29/2012, 6:18 pm

9.99 a liter 7.99 1/2 liter

http://www.shorelinedeli.com/
About Our Olive Oil
Some Information About Our Extra Virgin Olive Oil.

Olive Oil is produced only once a year during the winter months. This product is obtained from my own olive groves in Chania (Han-e-a’h) Crete. I travel to Greece every year in March to personally oversee the quality of the olive oil being processed to assure that it is the finest available on the market today. When extra virgin olive oil is new and fresh it can also be considered “light” olive oil. As it ages the acidity level increases and becomes heavier in taste & smell, eventually becoming rancid. This is why it is so important for olive oil to have an expiration date clearly marked on the container.

We have sold over 25 tons of our olive oil since we began importing it over 7 years ago. According to feedback our customers love the product. We have hundreds of loyal, enthusiastic patrons who recommend the olive oil to other customers.

Why this olive oil is the best quality for the best price?

Complies with the International Council Trade Standard applying to olive oils:
Fit for consumption, as it is 100% natural.
First press.
Cold pressed.
Free acidity no more that 1 gram per 100 grams (Acidity 0-1%).
With expiration date. March 2013.

According to the International Council Trade Standard applying to olive oil, Extra Virgin Olive Oil is “the oil obtained from the fruit of the olive tree solely by mechanical or other physical means under conditions, particularly thermal conditions, that do not lead to interactions in the oil, and which has not undergone any treatment other that washing, decantation certification and filtration.” In other words other olive oil that has been recycled and refined cannot be called “Extra Virgin Olive Oil”.

Only the first cold pressed olive oil can be called “Extra virgin”.

The acidity is 0-1% and has been printed on the front side of the can.

The production day is this year’s (2011), and the expiration day is stamped on the topside of the can (03/2013).

It is available in metal containers to protect the olive oil from the light, which can negatively affect the color, taste, smell and acidity level. In addition the can helps to preserve freshness.

We are happy to offer this product to you and believe that you will enjoy the best fruity flavor and all health benefits of our Extra Virgin Olive Oil.

Available by buying directly from our store and it is also available on eBay
[url=page_id=29 [url=ww.shorelinedeli.com/?page_id=29]ww.shorelinedeli.com/?page_id=29[/url]]page_id=29 [url=ww.shorelinedeli.com/?page_id=29]ww.shorelinedeli.com/?page_id=29[/url][/url]http://www.shorelinedeli.com/

Last edited by hallmarkgrad on 10/29/2012, 6:32 pm; edited 1 time in total

20Coming soon to gallery night Empty Re: Coming soon to gallery night 10/29/2012, 6:30 pm

I wondered why the Studers would open a Olive Oil business with in a 1/2 of a mile of Shoreline and offer competition to a local who built his business up from nothing and is a great service to the community. But then I remembered...It is all about the Studers.....Business is business. They dont really give a shit about the people they impact as long as they can get their name in the press and make a few bucks.

Last edited by hallmarkgrad on 10/29/2012, 6:48 pm; edited 2 times in total

21Coming soon to gallery night Empty Re: Coming soon to gallery night 10/29/2012, 6:34 pm

I have a friend that owns a restaurant and he buys his oil by the 5-gallon pail from Shoreline. He swears by it.

22Coming soon to gallery night Empty Re: Coming soon to gallery night 10/29/2012, 6:57 pm

Yella

Yella

Yomama wrote:I have a friend that owns a restaurant and he buys his oil by the 5-gallon pail from Shoreline. He swears by it.

I had an aunt who lived on a farm in Verdon, Nebraska who cooked the best fish I ever ate in my life. She fried it in hot lard. Goddam it was good!

23Coming soon to gallery night Empty Re: Coming soon to gallery night 10/29/2012, 7:02 pm

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

I was a vendor on Government Street last gallery night and it was a shock to find out we had to start folding up shop at nine o'clock!

Sales usually pick up around ten. It was a lot of work for a small payoff. I hope they stay open until at least ten for the November 16th gallery night!

24Coming soon to gallery night Empty Re: Coming soon to gallery night 10/29/2012, 8:00 pm

Yella

Yella

othershoe1030 wrote:I was a vendor on Government Street last gallery night and it was a shock to find out we had to start folding up shop at nine o'clock!

Sales usually pick up around ten. It was a lot of work for a small payoff. I hope they stay open until at least ten for the November 16th gallery night!

What do you sell,O S?

25Coming soon to gallery night Empty Re: Coming soon to gallery night 10/29/2012, 8:14 pm

surfnrg

surfnrg

othershoe1030 wrote:I was a vendor on Government Street last gallery night and it was a shock to find out we had to start folding up shop at nine o'clock!

I think you mean to say you hope the streets remain closed later?

When you got the permit to be a vendor you should have gotten the
street closures and times they would reopen?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum