Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Gallery Night

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Gallery Night Empty Gallery Night 10/22/2012, 10:29 am

I saw on another thread that Gallery Night was grouped into the same category as the Studer Ballpark. To me, that seems unfair.

To me, Gallery Night is an opportunity for local artists to set up their EZ-Ups and display their wares on the streets of Pensacola. Sure, there are established galleries and entertainment complexes that profit, but I have gone twice now and never been into a gallery storefront. The local artists have an eclectic collection of jewelry and art and I enjoy that immensely.

Gallery night is an opportunity for people to come downtown and celebrate the art and listen to the free music that is prevalent wherever you go downtown.

Please correct me if I am wrong, but I don't see Gallery Night as a fatcat elitist gathering for the wealthy that enriches the "In Crowd". OK, my $.02.

2Gallery Night Empty Re: Gallery Night 10/22/2012, 10:40 am

2seaoat

You have the right attitude.....but now somebody will tell you that you do not live in Pensacola anymore......that you are a studer supporter........that you eat your meals at Jacksons and the Fish House.....that you are part of the downtown crowd.

I simply enjoy the Pelican drop and other events in downtown. I often change my schedule to go to them. Sure I do not live in Pensacola, but my dollars are spent there. Sure I regularly try to see exhibits at the Art museum, and have seen some great exhibits, but the cynicism of a few will not stop the success of downtown Pensacola. People vote with their feet and I believe you are right Eric.

3Gallery Night Empty Re: Gallery Night 10/22/2012, 10:53 am

The only problem I have with it is that it's ok to walk around with a drink in your hand on certain events but if you try it on a off night it gets you in trouble.. The rules should all be the same..

4Gallery Night Empty Re: Gallery Night 10/22/2012, 11:00 am

. People vote with their feet and I believe you are right Eric.

Population in 2010: 51,923. Population change since 2000: -7.7%

Read more: http://www.city-data.com/city/Pensacola-Florida.html#ixzz2A2YAqhUj

5Gallery Night Empty Re: Gallery Night 10/22/2012, 11:27 am

You all are correct. i am very cyclical to the point of being illogical. Sunday while I was riding, I stopped by to see a Vietnamese family on West Government street. Maybe 3/4 of a mile from the ballPark. Boat people, built a boat and fled across the sea to Malaysia and spent 3 years in a refugee camp before they came to the America. I worked with Mr Soule for over 10 years. He is a damn good friend and even better person.
As we sat and talked, His daughter told me about how she can not let her children out of her sight due to crime. How if they go to the park it is best to take a man with you and never stay after dark. She said "We are scared, this not a good place to be. My Friend asked me"' What is happening? Why are the people so greedy and hateful to us?"

What could I say? Oh you are of no concern of ours, we have BallParks and concerts to worry about? I did not have a answer yesterday and I damn sure don't have a answer today.......

6Gallery Night Empty Re: Gallery Night 10/22/2012, 2:21 pm

It's not the Gallery Night people that are responsible for the crime. I'd venture a guess that things are safer during Gallery Night as there are more people around.

My mom was born in Pensacola and died at 92 in 2009. She told me that only riff-raff lived on the waterfront. Of course, there were a lot of sailors in lumber ships and they came ashore to have a good time.

I said that because crime downtown along the waterfront isn't anything new. Granted, with the downturn in the economy, more folks are out of work and the war on drugs has fueled criminal activity.

The waterfront ain't the only place you don't want to be when the sun goes down. I can think of half of a dozen places I wouldn't want to be in Pensacola at night. Sad that it is that way, but it ain't gonna change much. I didn't use to travel with a gun. Now, I do. But I refuse to let fear rule my life. I just don't put myself in a situation to be taken advantage of, and like your friends, there is safety in numbers.

7Gallery Night Empty Re: Gallery Night 10/23/2012, 11:55 am

Yella

Yella

Yomama wrote:I saw on another thread that Gallery Night was grouped into the same category as the Studer Ballpark. To me, that seems unfair.

To me, Gallery Night is an opportunity for local artists to set up their EZ-Ups and display their wares on the streets of Pensacola. Sure, there are established galleries and entertainment complexes that profit, but I have gone twice now and never been into a gallery storefront. The local artists have an eclectic collection of jewelry and art and I enjoy that immensely.

Gallery night is an opportunity for people to come downtown and celebrate the art and listen to the free music that is prevalent wherever you go downtown.

Please correct me if I am wrong, but I don't see Gallery Night as a fatcat elitist gathering for the wealthy that enriches the "In Crowd". OK, my $.02.

Bob and I both developed severe bunions walking all over hell's half acre trying to find you and your bride so we could all have a beer an be somebody.

http://warpedinblue,blogspot.com/

8Gallery Night Empty Re: Gallery Night 10/23/2012, 9:08 pm

surfnrg

surfnrg

Lurch wrote:The only problem I have with it is that it's ok to walk around with a drink in your hand on certain events but if you try it on a off night it gets you in trouble.. The rules should all be the same..

This is because on Gallery Nights the DIB vis a vis the businesses take out a license to allow open containers for that night during a specific period of time to allow people to take drinks outside. For this there is an insurance policy and licensing requirements that do not exist on other days.

In other words the DIB district that participates becomes one "large" establishment for that purpose.

Very Happy

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum