Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Lets talk about GOV Pensions if we may

+2
Nekochan
2seaoat
6 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 4]

Total 2013 Spending by Function

Function

-yr 2013 +yr

Total Spending

$6.4 trillion

Pensions

$1.1 trillion

Health Care

$1.1 trillion

Education

$0.9 trillion

Defense

$0.9 trillion

Welfare

$0.8 trillion

http://www.usgovernmentspending.com/

[img]Lets talk about GOV Pensions if we may Usgs_c10[/img]

so every time you talk about all that huge cost of war, defense budget, or welfare, I ask you to think why is it so much lower than the pensions?

amazing, but its the pensions

look forward to hearing your comments...

Thanks

2seaoat

Let me ask you this question.......does pensions include military pensions, funding for VA hospitals? I think we need to understand with every military person deployed we are talking about a government pension. I think pensions are the battleground for America. My wife's government pension is obscene, but she paid in per the plan, and all across this nation state and local governments to fund these pensions are going to have to cut current services, raise taxes, or bankrupt pension plans.....pensions in my opinion are fair game, and I strongly believe in a cram down in bankruptcy, greater contributions per future beneficiaries, and tax increases. This means our retirement income may be reduced by 15%, but if this is done....we will be on the road to recovery......I know.....seaoat just give 15% back.....no this has to be a comprehensive attack on pension obligations.

Obfuscation... The better question is if there is a justification for compensation.

You can talk about service... or deserving... but the lightest look into collectivism won't recognize it.

I don't think you fully recognize your ideology. Don't feel disconnected... it's probably how most lackeys feel.

You should start thinking about what an individual might confront... it will be less than you were entitled.

I dont know whats all included in it. I would imagine that yes military is in it.

I have few ideas about it and I would like to learn about it.

1. why cant they have a retirement plan like most private people?

2. can senators/congressmen and such get a full pension for serving only one term?

3. do they contribute anything at all to it?

I have other questions, but this is for now.

Its a huge chunk of change as we can see. In our current siuation when its comes to finding cost savings, we would be foolish to not look at this. IMHO

so help me out guys. Thanks and hugs

2seaoat

In some states a judge, prosecutor, and elected representatives can have a vested pension after as few as four years, and also to have full medical coverage the rest of their lives.....we have left the fox in the chicken coop, and pension reform is a very real priority.

PKR......I have been on these forums for eight years almost now, and pension reform has been my policy cry for all those years. Not that pensions are bad. I simply want actuarial standards which make them sound investments and fully funded....it really is that simple.

2seaoat wrote:In some states a judge, prosecutor, and elected representatives can have a vested pension after as few as four years, and also to have full medical coverage the rest of their lives.....we have left the fox in the chicken coop, and pension reform is a very real priority.

PKR......I have been on these forums for eight years almost now, and pension reform has been my policy cry for all those years. Not that pensions are bad. I simply want actuarial standards which make them sound investments and fully funded....it really is that simple.

well you and i are about to agree on something.

i am ticked, this must change. we need to write letters and draw attention to this

Agreed Rawge... (sry just picturing ur ass in the air) ...

The major point is that there are a limited number of real dollars in the system... your wifes pension might be lacking.

You do realize that the fed is unchecked.... Right?

Hell... I'm not sure you realize anything anymore.

2seaoat

Tell me what happens when the fed is unchecked......What is the damage to America? It is called inflation. Who gains when inflation happens. No surprise here.....government. Debt is paid by cheaper dollars, government revenues increase, and citizens are taxed with inflation. So the reality is that the fed has just unilaterally imposed a tax on Americans. I always made lots of money in an inflation environment....you however are in a static postition, and inflation is a very real threat.....I have compassion, but on balance, I am in a very good position for inflation. I have long term financing in place.....I have most of my portfolio in inflation proof investments, and I personally look at this as just a hidden tax which has been used for over 60 years.

Lol... The truth is that you are counting a projection... Good luck with that.

i don't need to be right... It's you that must be right... Good luck with that.

I planned for this.

Nekochan

Nekochan

A lot of the government civil service pensions are being paid to employees who worked under the old retirement plan, where government employees did not pay into Social Security. The pensions under that old system are very generous, but remember--those people aren't collecting Social Security. The system was reformed in the 80s and future reitirees will not get such generous pensions and they have also paid into and will receive Social Security.

But the federal civil service pension system does need to be reformed again and new employees should start paying more into their pension plans. Also, I think that the federal workforce needs to be cut (by attrition) by 10% or better.

Congressional pensions are obscene but look who writes the laws on that.

As for the military--it's different. Civilian employees can work for 30-40 years and retire. But the military is a young person's job. We cannot have an active duty force of 50+ year olds. I think the sacrifices the military makes and the nature of the job they do requires them to be allowed to collect pensions at a younger age than most civilians. We need to be careful about reforms made to the military retirement system.

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

It is going to come crashing down, starting with the Baby Boom generation and all who follow us. I already said today that at some point, the government is going to issue IOUs to everyone who gets some form of transfer payment from the govenment. When I say "transfer payment" I am speaking about all entitlements, all benefits, and all retirement payments. The IOUs will authorize the payees when the money becomes available, but will not guarantee full payment.

The Boomers will be the first to be squeezed when they stop getting full Social Security payments, and get IOUs for some or all of each monthly allotment. The squeeze will become more diverse from there for everyone else. It will take until 2020 or a little later for the government's fiscal-situation to decline to the point where this has to be done, but we will slowly get there.

About 10 years ago, I read in an article in Time, where a round-table was conducted between a bunch of CEOs on the future of compensation. One CEO flat out said that anyone then under 40 would not have employer-provided health care in retirement, and that was permanent.

All of this will be an unwelcome, but new reality.

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

You guys are obviously not economists...all we have to do is print more money...why get all worked up when the solution is so simple....?

Lets talk about GOV Pensions if we may Is?VDJ2l2i8gra_pmNrj8B8z1eAzqpaTT83lA10BpqRt9Q

My opinion is on record. I'd have every government employee on the miltary pay scale with the same benefits. Top pay is O-10 which is reserved for the President, Congressmen/women, and governors. Everyone else drawing a government check better be making less than that and if they don't like the pay they know where the front door is and are free to find a job in the private sector.

*****CHUCKLE*****

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5X_Dd_6Czk

Smile

Nekochan

Nekochan

My husband would take that, Damaged Eagle. With his time served and experience--and with the housing allowance and all that, he'd be making considerably more money on the military pay scale.

Nekochan wrote:A lot of the government civil service pensions are being paid to employees who worked under the old retirement plan, where government employees did not pay into Social Security. The pensions under that old system are very generous, but remember--those people aren't collecting Social Security. The system was reformed in the 80s and future reitirees will not get such generous pensions and they have also paid into and will receive Social Security.

But the federal civil service pension system does need to be reformed again and new employees should start paying more into their pension plans. Also, I think that the federal workforce needs to be cut (by attrition) by 10% or better.

Congressional pensions are obscene but look who writes the laws on that.

As for the military--it's different. Civilian employees can work for 30-40 years and retire. But the military is a young person's job. We cannot have an active duty force of 50+ year olds. I think the sacrifices the military makes and the nature of the job they do requires them to be allowed to collect pensions at a younger age than most civilians. We need to be careful about reforms made to the military retirement system.

I agree with you about not having 50yos active duty.

I dont know what the % is of military pensions is in this amount.

I do know that if the gov pension is more than our entire defense budget that people complain about daily, something is terribly wrong.

2seaoat wrote:Let me ask you this question.......does pensions include military pensions, funding for VA hospitals? I think we need to understand with every military person deployed we are talking about a government pension. I think pensions are the battleground for America. My wife's government pension is obscene, but she paid in per the plan, and all across this nation state and local governments to fund these pensions are going to have to cut current services, raise taxes, or bankrupt pension plans.....pensions in my opinion are fair game, and I strongly believe in a cram down in bankruptcy, greater contributions per future beneficiaries, and tax increases. This means our retirement income may be reduced by 15%, but if this is done....we will be on the road to recovery......I know.....seaoat just give 15% back.....no this has to be a comprehensive attack on pension obligations.

Horsecaca Seaoat, every person deployed is not going to make a career of the miliitary and earn a pension. The biggest item anyone going in now will get is the Post 9-11 GI BILL. If they can manage to deal with 20 years or more of the crap, they deserve every penny they get.

I was drilling down on this and came across that it seems they have Social security under "pensions".

was anyone else aware of that? So I think its mis leading when you hear about cutting pensions and in there the bulk of it is social security. I now have to re evaulate this whole thing.

http://www.usgovernmentspending.com/year_spending_2013USbt_13bs1n_000201_951_952_651#usgs302

Pensions

[–]

Sickness and disability

[–]

Old age

[+]

Federal employee retirement and disability (602)

[–]

Social security (651)

Payments to Social Security Trust Funds

ok, it seems that the pensions of fed employees is still unfair and not balanced. it appears rick scott took action to get fl's more balanced. I can appreciate that.

people who are working in gov positions, any, be it teacher, police, social worker, Congress..etc, need to have the same responsibility as I do on paying into retirement plans.

I know this will piss some people off, but why should working for the gov give you so much moe benefits? The pay scale is already better for gov workers, something needs to give so we can get this budget under control. but no one wants to give up thier freebies.

Now heres a real kicker. It seems dumb people make more money if they work for the gov and smart peple make less working for the gov. I think this explains a lot of our problems Neutral . heres a interesting article from cnn on the subject.

---

On average, the federal government spends 48% more on benefits for its employees than private employers do.

As for salaries, federal workers make just 2% more than private sector workers.

But there's a big difference when you break it down by education.

For example, for federal workers with only a high school diploma, their benefits are 72% higher, and their wages are 21% higher than they would be in the private sector.

On the other hand, workers with doctorates or professional degrees are worse off working for the government. Their benefits are about the same and they earn 23% less than those in the private sector.
http://caffertyfile.blogs.cnn.com/2012/01/31/do-federal-workers-deserve-better-benefits-and-higher-salaries-than-private-sector-employees/

Rogue wrote:ok, it seems that the pensions of fed employees is still unfair and not balanced. it appears rick scott took action to get fl's more balanced. I can appreciate that.

people who are working in gov positions, any, be it teacher, police, social worker, Congress..etc, need to have the same responsibility as I do on paying into retirement plans.

I know this will piss some people off, but why should working for the gov give you so much moe benefits? The pay scale is already better for gov workers, something needs to give so we can get this budget under control. but no one wants to give up thier freebies.

Now heres a real kicker. It seems dumb people make more money if they work for the gov and smart peple make less working for the gov. I think this explains a lot of our problems Neutral . heres a interesting article from cnn on the subject.

---

On average, the federal government spends 48% more on benefits for its employees than private employers do.

For example, for federal workers with only a high school diploma, their benefits are 72% higher, and their wages are 21% higher than they would be in the private sector.

On the other hand, workers with doctorates or professional degrees are worse off working for the government. Their benefits are about the same and they earn 23% less than those in the private sector.
http://caffertyfile.blogs.cnn.com/2012/01/31/do-federal-workers-deserve-better-benefits-and-higher-salaries-than-private-sector-employees/

Scott is an arse. There was no need for state workers to kick in 3% when the FRS is the most solvent of all state retirement systems in the United States. He has lost the lawsuit regarding this as well. I think he may have appealed it, but we are awaiting an answer.

Plenty of people were making fun of state workers for taking those jobs that pay quite less than what the private sector is paying for the same work. Everyone was laughing and yucking it up over our pay and now that they see our trade off for a below market salary was a decent, but no bank breaking retirement, they get all butt hurt.

Florida Supreme Court to hear oral arguments on FEA lawsuit over pension “contribution”

September 6, 2012

TALLAHASSEE – This Friday, September 7, the Florida Supreme Court will hear oral arguments in Scott vs. Williams, the appeal of Circuit Judge Jackie Fulford’s ruling earlier this year that the 2011 pension law changes were unconstitutional.

When current public employees were hired, the state entered into a contractual agreement. It made a promise to teachers, law-enforcement officers, firefighters, nurses and other public-service workers that their retirement plan would be funded by the state. Mandating a 3-percent “contribution” breaks that promise and unfairly targets only public employees for a 3-percent tax increase.

FEA challenged the pension tax on state workers and won a ruling in FEA’s favor. Last March, Leon County Circuit Judge Jackie Fulford struck down the mandatory retirement contributions imposed since July 2011. She ordered refunds with interest for all employees enrolled in the FRS prior to July 2011. Governor Scott and legislative leaders were unhappy with the court ruling and decided to spend more taxpayer money for an appeal. The state spent over 500,000 on the first case.

The Circuit judge also ruled on the state’s efforts to impose a reduction in the cost-of-living adjustments for those retiring after July 1, 2011. Florida law requires a 3 percent cost-of-living increase during retirement regardless of years of service or dates of service. The trial judge agreed that the changes made by the legislature and the governor violated this contract with current state employees in the Florida Retirement System and also constituted taking private property without full compensation.

The Legislature broke its promise and broke its contract with current public employees. Legislative leaders deliberately chose to disregard the Florida Constitution and ignored constitutional law. The law says that the state had a contract with all current participants in the Florida Retirement System and could not just take away benefits from participants in the plan.

The Florida Retirement System (FRS) has been shown to be one of the most actuarially sound state retirement systems in the country. The money derived from the 3-percent tax is not needed to shore up the strength of the system, but was used by the governor and legislative leadership to make up a budget shortfall on the backs of teachers, law-enforcement officers, firefighters, nurses and other state workers. And it came at the same time the governor and legislative leaders reduced the government’s contribution to the retirement system by more than 3 percent and lowered taxes for wealthy corporations.

The Florida Retirement System (FRS) pension plan gained $19 billion in the fiscal year that ended on June 30, 2012. The 22-percent gain is the biggest in 25 years, reports the State Board of Administration, and larger than the 14-percent gain from last year. The total value of the pension plan has soared to $128.4 billion. Does that sound like a pension system in financial trouble?

The 3 percent mandate is essentially an income tax levied only on state workers belonging to the Florida Retirement System. For teachers and other public school employees, it is a salary cut that’s compounded by years of budget cuts, layoffs, increasing healthcare premiums and five years without a raise. The stark budget cuts pushed by Gov. Rick Scott and the Legislature only deepened those losses. The additional loss of 3 percent of their salary is an insult to hard working Floridians who have dedicated their lives to state employment.

The leaders in the Legislature chose this irresponsible, reckless and unconstitutional way of balancing the state budget instead of properly addressing the shortfall they created. Over the past decade, the Legislature has chosen to provide tax giveaways to investors and corporations that have accumulated to billions and billions of dollars. If those tax breaks had not been enacted, there would have been no budget shortfall.

In fact, the Legislature approved further tax breaks for corporations without any public debate during the final hours of 2011 legislative session, while they cut the salaries of hard-working families and enacted severe budget cuts on our public schools. Those tax breaks continued during the 2012 legislative session.

Legislative leaders have a number of avenues available to address any state budget shortfall, including closing sales-tax loopholes, aggressively collecting sales tax on Internet sales, or repealing the tax giveaways for investors and corporations. Those tax giveaways were widely touted as ways to create jobs and grow the state’s economy, but after billions and billions of dollars’ worth of tax giveaways over the past 14 years under Republican leadership, Florida has one of the highest unemployment rates, and its economy is one of the weakest in the nation.

sorry. Cant always agree. Crying or Very sad

Everyone should have to contribute thier retirement.

As you can see from the information above the pay compared in education terms is not unfair when compared to private positions.

Lower education level people are making way more money by working for the gov and they are getting fat secure pensions. . I'm not talking about teachers, I dont think teachers get enough pay personally.

Dont you think the gov is kinda messed up when a postal worker can start out around $19 an hour when a techer can start out at around 9$ a hour?

There are a lot of things wrong with our gov system. They really are not good at managing anything.

on edit specificaly for PD. regarding teachers. teachers should give up teachers unions. the teachers unions collected 2 BILLION $$$ from teachers and yet teachers have a low pay scale.

http://www.aaeteachers.org/index.php/your-rights

I dont want to get off subject, I just know that some are going to take this personally. sorry

Nekochan

Nekochan

What you have read about federal salaries is correct. The lower level federal workers make a lot more working for the federal government than they would in the private market. Someone who might make 20K in the private market can make 30K+ working for the federal government. But the higher skilled and educated federal workers make the same or less than they would in the private sector. My husband is an aerospace engineer and he has worked in both the private sector and for the federal government and his pay has been on average about the same whether with the federal government or private sector. I say this because the private companies he worked for may have paid him a little higher salary, but the federal government benefits are generous, so it has pretty much has evened out. (However, I should note that federal workers have been under a pay freeze for the last 2 years.) Most companies do not today offer pension plans, other than 401K plans. But federal workers have a pension plan that they pay into plus a 401 type plan they can contribute to. l think they need to contribute more to their pensions and there needs to be another round of federal pension reform. So all in all--when it comes to benefits, most federal workers come out ahead when they start collecting their pensions. But for doctors, scientists and other highly skilled workers--I do not believe that they are being overpaid by the federal government compared to the civilian market.

Nekochan wrote:What you have read about federal salaries is correct. The lower level federal workers make a lot more working for the federal government than they would in the private market. Someone who might make 20K in the private market can make 30K+ working for the federal government. But the higher skilled and educated federal workers make the same or less than they would in the private sector. My husband is an aerospace engineer and he has worked in both the private sector and for the federal government and his pay has been on average about the same whether with the federal government or private sector. I say this because the private companies he worked for may have paid him a little higher salary, but the federal government benefits are generous, so it has pretty much has evened out. (However, I should note that federal workers have been under a pay freeze for the last 2 years.) Most companies do not today offer pension plans, other than 401K plans. But federal workers have a pension plan that they pay into plus a 401 type plan they can contribute to. l think they need to contribute more to their pensions and there needs to be another round of federal pension reform. So all in all--when it comes to benefits, most federal workers come out ahead when they start collecting their pensions. But for doctors, scientists and other highly skilled workers--I do not believe that they are being overpaid by the federal government compared to the civilian market.

Thank you for your input. You know when I started this thread I was appaled at how high the national pension fund was. Then I found out that they had put social security in that category.

While I still think everyone should contribute to thier own retirement and as far as a pension goes, it is a special benefit to be "garenteed" a pension. 401 K are dependant on market and I know lots of people who have gotten eaten alive because of that, myself included.

It seems to me if people who worked for the gov had the same worries as private citizens they may not take such securities for granted when casting thier votes.

either way, knowing that SSI is included doesnt make this topic such a big nest egg as I wouldnt touch that, but apparently its still a problem and I suppose it does need to be addressed. I would imagine that only a tax could help that. Or a law thats says you cant get more than you pay in or you cant get it if you never paid in, I dont have a answer. apparently no one in gov does either.

Nekochan wrote:My husband would take that, Damaged Eagle. With his time served and experience--and with the housing allowance and all that, he'd be making considerably more money on the military pay scale.

Lets talk about GOV Pensions if we may Is?VDJ2l2i8gra_pmNrj8B8z1eAzqpaTT83lA10BpqRt9Q

That's not what you said last time I suggested that all government employees should be on the military pay scale. As I recall a couple people became aggressive about where they should fall on the pay scale because they had a college degree and thought that made them more deserving and rated officer pay.

No one ever said that a person would or should get rich working for the government.

*****SMILE*****

Smile

Nekochan

Nekochan

Damaged Eagle wrote:
Nekochan wrote:My husband would take that, Damaged Eagle. With his time served and experience--and with the housing allowance and all that, he'd be making considerably more money on the military pay scale.

That's not what you said last time I suggested that all government employees should be on the military pay scale. As I recall a couple people became aggressive about where they should fall on the pay scale because they had a college degree and thought that made them more deserving and rated officer pay.

No one ever said that a person would or should get rich working for the government.

*****SMILE*****

Smile

That's because you said that a teacher with a college degree should start as an E-5, which is ridiculous.

Rogue wrote:ok, it seems that the pensions of fed employees is still unfair and not balanced. it appears rick scott took action to get fl's more balanced. I can appreciate that.

---

You could have very well been a federal worker if you chose to be one. It is that plain and simple. You chose not to and now you want to turn the tables on the people who have been guaranteed their benefits under the idea that it is not fair. No, it is plenty fair.

I could have chose to teach in the Federal Prison System making $37,500 as a starting salary in 1995-1996. The problem with that was that when I was interviewed and "affirmative actioned" out of a job at Saufley Field, but offered one at a Medium-High Security facility in Estil, South Carolina, I said no. I didn't want to take the chance of getting gang raped, have my family threatened or the like. It would have been BANK too. Guaranteed GS-11 track minimum and retirement at 55 years of age (that is the age limit for those workers). Do I begrduge those folks? Nope, except for the female hired that had less qualifications, less experience, and sat in the waiting room for the interview telling racist jokes.

With Florida state workers, we were hired in under one set of rules and then Rick Scott decides to change those rules midstream in the game for most of us. It's already been established that state workers were hired under the contractual obligation of the state to pay the retirement 100%. Scott has appealed this decision and now realizes that he is probably going to lose this as well and that is why he is pushing to oust all of the judges in the state...he's pretty much pulling an FDR or attempting to stack the state Supreme Court so that he can get rulings favorable to his politics. The problem with that is he just can't do that according to has been decided. He's going to have to refund mine and my spouses 3% each soon. It was a tax on state workers and a pay cut for no reason. The FRS is solid. Last year the gains were 22% in the system. The year before that 14%. If it is not broke, it does not need fixing. Balancing the state budget on the backs of many state workers who have not had raises in 5+ years was a slap in the face. While we will most likely get a GOP POTUS, Florida is going the other way when Scott comes up for reelection.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 4]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum