Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Lets talk about "common core". Again

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

I had been looking at some of the changes over the last few years and noticed that they don't teach things like division the same anymore. has anyone else noticed this? Its with other math as well.

---

Remember “fuzzy math”? It’s back with a vengeance under Common Core.

The classic method of, for example, adding two-digit numbers is to add the digits in the “ones” column, carry the remainder to the “tens” column, and then add the “tens” digits. This “standard algorithm” works first time, every time.

But instead of teaching this method, which enables students to solve problems quickly and routinely, Common Core creates a two-step process.

The first is to let students choose from several alternative algorithms (number lines, estimating, etc.) for doing one-digit additions, subtractions, and multiplications.

The second is probably to extend these student constructions to more complex calculations. (We say “probably” because the standards are not at all clear on this point.)

There is no point where the student-constructed algorithms are explicitly replaced by the very efficient standard methods for doing one-digit operations.

Why does Common Core adopt this convoluted method of teaching math? The stated reason is that learning the standard algorithm doesn’t give students a “deeper conceptual understanding” of what they’re doing. But the use of student-constructed algorithms is at odds with the practices of high-achieving countries and is not supported by research. Common Core is using our children for a huge and risky experiment.

There are also severe problems with the way Common Core handles percents, ratios, rates, and proportions – the critical topics that are essential if students are to learn more advanced topics such as trigonometry, statistics, and even calculus.

As well, the way Common Core presents geometry is not research-based -- and the only country that tried this approach on a large scale rapidly abandoned it.

In addition to these deficiencies, Common Core only includes most (but not all) of the standard algebra I expectations, together with only some parts of standard geometry and algebra II courses. There is no content beyond this.

Hidden in Common Core is the real objective – presenting the minimal amount of material that high-school graduates need to be able to enter the work force in an entry-level job, or to enroll in a community college with a reasonable expectation of avoiding a remedial math course.

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2013/07/30/do-math-common-core-massive-risky-experiment-on-your-kids/

Now while 3 of my children have graduated, 2 have gone to college or in college and one who got married had babies but still got a certification in phlebotomy. So only my youngest son is still in school and I have put him in private school this year and they do not use the common core method.

Why are we being dumbed down with this?

We need to stand up to this.

There is some terrible hidden agenda lurking around in our country trying to dumb us down and kill the country.

Jake92

The kids are sooo stupid thay can't give the correct change unless the cash register tells them how much to give.. Is it the parents, the teachers, or the politicians that don't want to hold children back because it hurts their self esteem???

boards of FL

boards of FL

Chrissy wrote:In addition to these deficiencies, Common Core only includes most (but not all) of the standard algebra I expectations, together with only some parts of standard geometry and algebra II courses.
Being a mathematics professor at Stanford, I'm sure the author of this article is brilliant at math. It's too bad the meaning of the phrase 'Common Core' is lost on him.

knothead

knothead

Interesting topic and has become extremely political so am posting this link so others may understand Rick Scott's desire to abandon 'Common Core' because he feels it is the federal government intruding on state controlled issues, in this case, education.

Jeb Bush who actually implemented the standards disagrees that Common Core is not a federally managed program, rather it is a consortium of 45 states working together.

I'm kinda like Bob on this, I report . . . . you decide!

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/nakedpolitics/2013/09/read-rick-scotts-common-core-letters-order-a-jeb-bush-dis-will-legislature-abide.htmlthers

boards of FL wrote:
Chrissy wrote:In addition to these deficiencies, Common Core only includes most (but not all) of the standard algebra I expectations, together with only some parts of standard geometry and algebra II courses.
Being a mathematics professor at Stanford, I'm sure the author of this article is brilliant at math.  It's too bad the meaning of the phrase 'Common Core' is lost on him.
Are you trying to defend "common core" ? or you just want to make this political in some way?

Have you seen how they have changed solving problems? I have, and its a problem.

As adults we really need to ban together and not make this one political.

We need to end common core.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum