Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

A Republican Who Wasn't A Vampire Feasting On The Life Blood Of Real Americans

+3
othershoe1030
zsomething
Telstar
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Telstar

Telstar

And he expanded Social Security. Nothing like the sub human fiends that now inhabit our house. Vote Blue!

zsomething

They don't make 'em like that anymore. And haven't since the "Southern strategy" polarized the parties.

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

Ike makes many excellent points and coming from a top notch military man. I have trouble even imagining what our landscape might look like if we weren't pouring so much wealth into "defense" spending. Power grids, communications systems, recycling and renewable energy, medical advances, the list goes on.

But of course politicians of both parties love to bring jobs home to their districts and hate shutting down production of tanks etc. even though they are not wanted by the military so they've cleverly spread many programs out across the country giving every state a dog in the fight and few programs are terminated. Indeed, when will we learn?

This chart only addresses those programs known as welfare but is interesting nonetheless.

(CNSNews.com) - Barack Obama was the first president of the United States to spend more on “means-tested entitlements”—AKA welfare—than on national defense, according to data published by his own Office of Management and Budget.

Historical tables that the OMB posted on the Obama White House website, include annual totals for both “national defense” spending and “means-tested entitlement” spending going back to fiscal 1962--which is three years before President Lyndon Johnson signed legislation creating the Medicaid program, a means-tested entitlement that together with the Children's Health Insurance Program enrolled 74,407,191 beneficiaries as of November 2016.

In every year from fiscal 1962 through fiscal 2014, total national defense spending exceeded means-tested entitlement spending.

A Republican Who Wasn't A Vampire Feasting On The Life Blood Of Real Americans Chart-welfare_and_defense_spending-1962-2016-1

https://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/terence-p-jeffrey/obama-was-first-president-spend-more-welfare-defense

Telstar

Telstar

othershoe1030 wrote:Ike makes many excellent points and coming from a top notch military man. I have trouble even imagining what our landscape might look like if we weren't pouring so much wealth into "defense" spending. Power grids, communications systems, recycling and renewable energy, medical advances, the list goes on.

But of course politicians of both parties love to bring jobs home to their districts and hate shutting down production of tanks etc. even though they are not wanted by the military so they've cleverly spread many programs out across the country giving every state a dog in the fight and few programs are terminated. Indeed, when will we learn?

This chart only addresses those programs known as welfare but is interesting nonetheless.

(CNSNews.com) - Barack Obama was the first president of the United States to spend more on “means-tested entitlements”—AKA welfare—than on national defense, according to data published by his own Office of Management and Budget.

Historical tables that the OMB posted on the Obama White House website, include annual totals for both “national defense” spending and “means-tested entitlement” spending going back to fiscal 1962--which is three years before President Lyndon Johnson signed legislation creating the Medicaid program, a means-tested entitlement that together with the Children's Health Insurance Program enrolled 74,407,191 beneficiaries as of November 2016.

In every year from fiscal 1962 through fiscal 2014, total national defense spending exceeded means-tested entitlement spending.

A Republican Who Wasn't A Vampire Feasting On The Life Blood Of Real Americans Chart-welfare_and_defense_spending-1962-2016-1

https://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/terence-p-jeffrey/obama-was-first-president-spend-more-welfare-defense

Because Obama cared more about the people than he did about the military.

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

I had so much admiration for Eisenhower. Somewhere I read recently that the job of POTUS was probably something of a relief for him after his WWII SHEAF command. That's probably true. And we were sitting pretty, weren't we?...some of us, anyway.

bigdog

Not all of us were sitting pretty back in the 50's, but we all Liked Ike. He was a good president. I also still contend that without Watergate, Nixon would have gone down in history as a good president too. Nixon paid for his sins, But then Reagan was so popular he got away with Iran Contra. After that, there hasn't been a halfway honest Republican president since. Both the Bushes were actually better con men than Trump, because most Americans really didn't recognize it.
You get by with something so long, and you just start not caring if anybody knows. That's where we are now with Trump.

Deus X

Deus X

bigdog wrote:Reagan was so popular he got away with Iran Contra.

List of Reagan administration convictions.

Challenged by a conservative to present evidence that Reagan ran the most corrupt administration of the 20th century, I assembled this list of convicts from Reagan's ranks.

[...]

"By the end of his term, 138 Reagan administration officials had been convicted, had been indicted, or had been the subject of official investigations for official misconduct and/or criminal violations. In terms of number of officials involved, the record of his administration was the worst ever."

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2005/10/17/157477/-

That's not exactly "getting away with it".

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

Deus X wrote:
bigdog wrote:Reagan was so popular he got away with Iran Contra.

List of Reagan administration convictions.

Challenged by a conservative to present evidence that Reagan ran the most corrupt administration of the 20th century, I assembled this list of convicts from Reagan's ranks.

[...]

"By the end of his term, 138 Reagan administration officials had been convicted, had been indicted, or had been the subject of official investigations for official misconduct and/or criminal violations. In terms of number of officials involved, the record of his administration was the worst ever."

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2005/10/17/157477/-

That's not exactly "getting away with it".

He, personally, and HW, did indeed get away with it. Now we have Ollie North running the NRA. Isn't it GREAT? I really wonder how far Reagan's dementia had gone in the last few years of his term. I think HW was running the whole show. Another "conspiracy theory" for you...the connection between John Hinckley, Jr. and the Bush family.

Deus X

Deus X

Floridatexan wrote:  I really wonder how far Reagan's dementia had gone in the last few years of his term.  I think HW was running the whole show.  Another "conspiracy theory" for you...the connection between John Hinckley, Jr. and the Bush family.

A Republican Who Wasn't A Vampire Feasting On The Life Blood Of Real Americans Conspiracy-theorist-tinfoil-hat

People who overestimate their political knowledge are more likely to believe conspiracy theories

People who overestimate their understanding of political issues are more likely to believe conspiracy theories, according to new research that appears in the European Journal for Social Psychology.

“Conspiracy theories about government actors and institutions are widespread across the political ideological spectrum,” remarked study author Joseph A. Vitriol, a postdoctoral research associate at Lehigh University. “These beliefs attribute outsized influence to hidden actors or clandestine groups who are perceived as the root cause of an important world event, action, or outcome.”

[...]

“We find that inflated confidence in one’s understanding of politics and public policy is associated with the tendency to believe in political conspiracies,” Vitriol told PsyPost. “That is, people who overestimate how well they understand political phenomena are more likely to believe that hidden actors or clandestine groups are conspiring in wide-ranging activities to influence important world actions, events, and outcomes.”

The researchers found this was particularly true after the election for individuals who supported the losing candidate, Hillary Clinton. In other words, Clinton supporters who were overconfident about their political knowledge became even more likely to endorse conspiracy beliefs after she was defeated.

https://www.psypost.org/2018/06/people-overestimate-political-knowledge-likely-believe-conspiracy-theories-51447

Transcript of a recent phone call:

Unknown subject: Hello, is this Alex Jones?

Alex Jones: Yes, this is Alex Jones.

Unknown subject: Oh, great. Mr. Jones, I have a candidate for your show. This nutjob believes John Hinckley Jr. was an operative of the Bush family. How crazy is that? It's perfect for your show.

Telstar

Telstar

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

Deus X wrote:
Floridatexan wrote:  I really wonder how far Reagan's dementia had gone in the last few years of his term.  I think HW was running the whole show.  Another "conspiracy theory" for you...the connection between John Hinckley, Jr. and the Bush family.

A Republican Who Wasn't A Vampire Feasting On The Life Blood Of Real Americans Conspiracy-theorist-tinfoil-hat

People who overestimate their political knowledge are more likely to believe conspiracy theories

People who overestimate their understanding of political issues are more likely to believe conspiracy theories, according to new research that appears in the European Journal for Social Psychology.

“Conspiracy theories about government actors and institutions are widespread across the political ideological spectrum,” remarked study author Joseph A. Vitriol, a postdoctoral research associate at Lehigh University. “These beliefs attribute outsized influence to hidden actors or clandestine groups who are perceived as the root cause of an important world event, action, or outcome.”

[...]

“We find that inflated confidence in one’s understanding of politics and public policy is associated with the tendency to believe in political conspiracies,” Vitriol told PsyPost. “That is, people who overestimate how well they understand political phenomena are more likely to believe that hidden actors or clandestine groups are conspiring in wide-ranging activities to influence important world actions, events, and outcomes.”

The researchers found this was particularly true after the election for individuals who supported the losing candidate, Hillary Clinton. In other words, Clinton supporters who were overconfident about their political knowledge became even more likely to endorse conspiracy beliefs after she was defeated.

https://www.psypost.org/2018/06/people-overestimate-political-knowledge-likely-believe-conspiracy-theories-51447

Transcript of a recent phone call:

Unknown subject: Hello, is this Alex Jones?

Alex Jones: Yes, this is Alex Jones.

Unknown subject: Oh, great. Mr. Jones, I have a candidate for your show. This nutjob believes John Hinckley Jr. was an operative of the Bush family. How crazy is that? It's perfect for your show.

I used to argue with Teo about Alex Jones...always believed he was no good, and of course, we all see that clearly now. Particularly troubling to me at the time was the 9/11 conspiracy crap he was peddling, which cast doubt on the real issues with the 9/11 Commission report. When you label anyone who questions the official narrative a "conspiracy theorist", you enable the people who are covering up the truth to keep their nefarious activities in the dark.

It is well known that the Hinckleys and the Bushes were friends, esp. Neil Bush and the shooter's brother. Hinckley, Sr. heavily contributed to HW's primary against Reagan. But those links were barely reported in the press.

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

Telstar wrote:

Good grief! Simple, Simple. No positions, no agenda, no plans no Nothing just a jingle. Amazing and yet he was one of our better and truthful presidents. How about the woman with the milking stool? ACK. LOL

bigdog

Yep, one of my earliest memories was of going to an Eisenhower rally at Brownsville Elementary with my parents and seeing all the I Like Ike buttons. I had no idea what a president was at the time, but I knew Ike must be a really popular person.
I had to look up the Hinkley-Bush story because I'd never heard it. The only link I could find from a near credible source was this one:

https://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2016/01/28/author-roger-stones-latest-conspiracy-theory-george-h-w-bush-behind-reagan-assassination-attempt/

The cbslocal station I thought might be credible until I saw it was an interview from Roger Stone. I'm afraid that part of it makes me think it's pretty unlikely to be true. I do think HW was the mastermind behind Iran-Contra though, and I remember the fight between him and Al Haig over who was in control of the country while Reagan was in the hospital. Haig came on TV and said "I am in charge." What an arrogant as-hole he was. Fun times compared to now.

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

bigdog wrote:Yep, one of my earliest memories was of going to an Eisenhower rally at Brownsville Elementary with my parents and seeing all the I Like Ike buttons. I had no idea what a president was at the time, but I knew Ike must be a really popular person.
I had to look up the Hinkley-Bush story because I'd never heard it. The only link I could find from a near credible source was this one:

https://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2016/01/28/author-roger-stones-latest-conspiracy-theory-george-h-w-bush-behind-reagan-assassination-attempt/

The cbslocal station I thought might be credible until I saw it was an interview from Roger Stone. I'm afraid that part of it makes me think it's pretty unlikely to be true.  I do think HW was the mastermind behind Iran-Contra though, and I remember the fight between him and Al Haig over who was in control of the country while Reagan was in the hospital. Haig came on TV and said "I am in charge." What an arrogant as-hole he was. Fun times compared to now.

Here's a source you might like...something that didn't appear in the book I read years ago...FAMILY OF SECRETS...the author explains why.

https://whowhatwhy.org/2016/08/16/bush-angle-reagan-shooting-still-unresolved-hinckley-walks/

Deus X

Deus X

bigdog wrote: Haig came on TV and said "I am in charge."

What complete horseshit! What Haig said was "I am in control here, in the White House, pending the return of the Vice-President."

I disagreed with much of what Haig said and did but I never considered him anything but an honorable man. Misrepresenting his words and then trashing him for it is DIShonorable.

Here's a video of that moment:

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

Deus X wrote:
bigdog wrote: Haig came on TV and said "I am in charge."

What complete horseshit! What Haig said was "I am in control here, in the White House, pending the return of the Vice-President."

I disagreed with much of what Haig said and did but I never considered him anything but an honorable man. Misrepresenting his words and then trashing him for it is DIShonorable.

Here's a video of that moment:

I think that misrepresentation was intentional.

bigdog

Not really intentional. It's the way I remembered it from over 30 years ago. I also remember a lot of controversy on the news over his statement, but I was apparently wrong about the exact words he said. I admit that.

I don't admit that anyone owes Al Haig any kind of apology over anything though.  See, this is from Wikipedia, so I'm wondering if there are two different instances of him saying he was in control-one where he said it and one where he explained it, possibly the one you posted.
Wikipedia says:
After Reagan won the 1980 presidential election, he nominated Haig to be his secretary of state. After the attempted assassination of Ronald Reagan, Haig asserted "I am in control here," allegedly suggesting (erronerously since 1947, when the Speaker of the House of Representatives was designated the second in the line of succession after the Vice President) that he served as acting president in Reagan's and Bush's absence, later iterating that he meant that he was functionally in control of the government.

And here's the problem- he was not even third in line after the VP. The speaker of the House owned that right and Haig basically usurped it by claiming it belonged to him. He said on the tape you posted that he was third in line behind the VP. That was either ignorance of something he should have well known or a seizure of authority he did not have a right to. He had no right to be "functionally in control of the government."
Like I said, I don't think Haig is owed any apologies.

Deus X

Deus X

bigdog wrote:Not really intentional. It's the way I remembered it from over 30 years ago. I also remember a lot of controversy on the news over his statement, but I was apparently wrong about the exact words he said. I admit that.

I don't admit that anyone owes Al Haig any kind of apology over anything though.  See, this is from Wikipedia, so I'm wondering if there are two different instances of him saying he was in control-one where he said it and one where he explained it, possibly the one you posted.
Wikipedia says:
After Reagan won the 1980 presidential election, he nominated Haig to be his secretary of state. After the attempted assassination of Ronald Reagan, Haig asserted "I am in control here," allegedly suggesting (erronerously since 1947, when the Speaker of the House of Representatives was designated the second in the line of succession after the Vice President) that he served as acting president in Reagan's and Bush's absence, later iterating that he meant that he was functionally in control of the government.

And here's the problem- he was not even third in line after the VP. The speaker of the House owned that right and Haig basically usurped it by claiming it belonged to him. He said on the tape you posted that he was third in line behind the VP. That was either ignorance of something he should have well known or a seizure of authority he did not have a right to.  He had no right to be "functionally in control of the government."
Like I said, I don't think Haig is owed any apologies.

I remember it very well. Right after he said it, the "I am in control" bit was broadcast on CBS--the "liberal" network--by Dan Rather on the Evening News. ABC--the more conservative network--broadcast the whole segment and the issue died down because it was obvious that CBS used selective editing to make the statement appear worse than it really was. Dan Rather, a man I really admire, and CBS took a lot of heat for that and rightly so. It was a shitty and fundamentally dishonest thing to do.

Nobody seriously thought Haig was trying to grab power, he was merely letting our adversaries--mostly the Soviet bloc--know there was no chaos in our halls of power, so don't try any bullshit.

I disagreed with almost everything Haig did back then but I never for a moment believed he was anything but an honorable man or, once I watched the full statement, that he was trying to usurp the Presidential power. He was trying to inflict order on what could have been a very chaotic episode.

Wikipedia is written by volunteers, all of whom have differing points of view on every subject. It's useful only to get a quick snapshot of an event or whatever but you have to dig a little deeper using the References at the bottom of each article to get a real understanding of whatever it is you're looking up.

Of course, if it's on the internet, it must be true. They can't put anything on the internet if it's not true.

Telstar

Telstar

EmeraldGhost

EmeraldGhost

Well, while all you proglibs are looking at Eisenhower through your rose-colored  John Lennon acid monkey glasses at Eisenhower as being the "ideal Republican" …..

Never mind his reluctance on school desegregation  http://www.blacksandpresidency.com/dwighteisenhower.php

Never mind his ban on homosexuals in the civil service and the firing or force resignation of thousands of them … ever hear of the "Lavender Scare"? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Executive_Order_10450

Never mind his tough stance on illegal aliens (Operation Wetback, anyone?)

Still like ike?   Laughing

Laughing

bigdog

Wikipedia is not what first told me of the huge stink it caused when Haig made that comment. I don't have to rely on Wikipedia when I am well old enough to remember what happened. Just FYI, I voted for Reagan twice, so don't go telling me that I'm somehow slamming someone in his administration because he was a Republican.
It was a huge mess, so huge that Haig had to come back later and explain what he said. Many people were afraid of Haig, FYI, that his military background and aggressive tactics might be a danger while Reagan was in the hospital. Many other people resented him coming out and saying he was "in control" so shortly after the assasination attempt that the VP hadn't even had time to get back into the White House.
You can talk about my reliance on Wikipedia if you want to, but my memory is just fine, thank you very much.  Haig was a scary character to a lot of Americans during that time and his pure lie about being 3rd in line was just that, a pure lie.   Here's a REAL article about Haig and what was going on during the time Reagan was hospitalized. He had to be held back by all the other advisors and the cabinet from taking control of all foreign policy matters (outside the 12 mile limit of the US.) This man was DANGEROUS and Jim Baker and others had to sit him down on his ass and let him know he was not in power. He might have started WWIII if they hadn't pushed back at him. This article is from someone who was there and who has recordings of what went on in the meetings from those days:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/when-reagan-was-shot-who-was-in-control-at-the-white-house/2011/03/23/AFJlrfYB_story.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.1f4af9a29034

Telstar

Telstar

I don't have to rely on Wikipedia when I am well old enough to remember what happened. Just FYI, I voted for Reagan twice, so don't go telling me that I'm somehow slamming someone in his administration because he was a Republican.

Reagan was a lying prick Monica giver even before he was republican president. Now he's in hell with Nancy, the Hollywood queen of Monica's where they both take turns pleasuring Sinatra the way she did during his White House visits.

bigdog

I'm not sure what a "monica giver" is, but I've never made any secret of the fact that I was not a Democrat until Bill Clinton came into office. It took me a couple of years of his administration, of seeing that Dems could be reasonable and moderate people too, before I made the change. I'd already gone indy over George HW's first Iraq war, his turning our police forces into thieves who confiscated the property of even the innocent, and who was probably the mastermind to Iran Contra.
But up until HW, I was a faithful Republican, even working in some of the campaign Headquarters here locally. My conscience would not let me remain one, and it will never let me go back that direction again.
The party that could hold Goldwater and Rockefeller and Nixon in it and not explode is gone forever.

Well, I guess I do probably know what a monica giver is, and I know the damage Reagan did to this country. But I wouldn't refer to him in those terms. I really can't think of any US POTUS that deserves total hatred except for Trump. He's made everyone else seem palatable. I give Reagan credit for good intentions
And wherever Sinatra is, I hope he's enjoying himself. He's sure given me a lot of listening pleasure in my lifetime.

Telstar

Telstar

bigdog wrote:I'm not sure what a "monica giver" is, but I've never made any secret of the fact that I was not a Democrat until Bill Clinton came into office. It took me a couple of years of his administration, of seeing that Dems could be reasonable and moderate people too, before I made the change. I'd already gone indy over George HW's first Iraq war, his turning our police forces into thieves who confiscated the property of even the innocent, and who was probably the mastermind to Iran Contra.
But up until HW, I was a faithful Republican, even working in some of the campaign Headquarters here locally. My conscience would not let me remain one, and it will never let me go back that direction again.
The party that could hold Goldwater and Rockefeller and Nixon in it and not explode is gone forever.

Well, I guess I do probably know what a monica giver is, and I know the damage Reagan did to this country. But I wouldn't refer to him in those terms. I really can't think of any US POTUS that deserves total hatred except for Trump. He's made everyone else seem palatable. I give Reagan credit for good intentions
And wherever Sinatra is, I hope he's enjoying himself. He's sure given me a lot of listening pleasure in my lifetime.

Sinatra is getting lots of pleasure while both Reagans wrap their loving lips around his cigar, the same way Nancy did in the good old days and in Hollywood.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum