Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Harley sales are in the toilet, as yuppie baby boomers grow old

+2
bigdog
2seaoat
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

2seaoat

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/companies/harley-davidson-has-a-new-problem-to-worry-about/ar-BBFqvch?li=BBnb7Kz

bigdog

Gotta tell you, I know too many people who have nearly died or who did die on those things to worry about the market growing old and thinning out. Someone in New Orleans stole my son's motorcycle and I was not unhappy one bit when they did it. I never wanted him riding it anyway. Now he's totally into cars and that makes me a happy parent.

Plus, it's always seemed kind of sad when I see those old guys with the long hair and their Vietnam jackets riding around trying to prove they are still the same studs they were when they were kids. I know some of them are doctors and lawyers and respectable members of society, but evidently that's not enough to keep their egos going. It's just sad.

I hope the young people in this country don't embrace motorcycles like their parents did. A lot of them will have much longer lives.

zsomething

An old girlfriend of mine is a biker. She's still building Harleys, but she's no kid anymore, either. A few years back she took time off from work and went nomad for a while, to see if she could still do it like she used to. She could, but she was disappointed with the bikers she was hanging out with. She said even the Hells Angels spend most of their time now staring at their phones, checking Facebook, posting selfies.

I think we're heading into an era where people do most of their living online. Bound to hurt sales of everything... except Ipads and such.

Sounds like good news to me. Very Happy

I've been shopping the used market for a low miles '07-09 Dyna Super Glide.

Like the one I used to have.

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

2seaoat wrote:https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/companies/harley-davidson-has-a-new-problem-to-worry-about/ar-BBFqvch?li=BBnb7Kz

I was Honda all the way. I had a Honda 400 and a Honda 500 deluxe , fair weather riders. Loved riding the beach road from Pensacola Beach to Navarre and back at sunset. Nothing like it. The beach ride from Gulf Breeze to Panama City was a fun ride too.

Gave it up years ago, never wanted my kids to ride.

RealLindaL

Closest I ever got to riding a cycle was a little old Suzuki 50cc my college girlfriend loaned me for commuting to and from a summer job in downtown Philadelphia. When I think back on a couple of close calls, I'm lucky to be alive. Never had a desire to hop on another - much preferred cars and still do.

EmeraldGhost

EmeraldGhost

I ride a 2003 Wide-Glide.

(btw .... I'm baaaaaaack !! Cool     )

2seaoat

IF you paint your office nick-name (like EasyRider or Bad-Ass) on your Bell open face helemet.

You know you're a yuppie biker if you paid for your new FXSTC in 24 months or less.
You know you're a yuppie biker if you complained about the "smell and fumes" near the back of your last group ride.
You know you're a yuppie biker if you won't ride unless it's a group ride.
You know you're a yuppie biker if everyone on your last group ride works at your law firm, or plays golf with you.
You know you're a yuppie biker if you've ever said "Isn't it too cold/wet/hot/dry/dark to ride?"

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum