Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Irma strengthens into Category 5 hurricane, nears Caribbean

+4
RealLindaL
PkrBum
Joanimaroni
Floridatexan
8 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

Irma strengthens into Category 5 hurricane, nears Caribbean 800

https://apnews.com/1eab622061084a5a9810d1e168ca563b/Irma-strengthens-to-a-Cat-5-storm-as-it-nears-Caribbean?utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=New%20Campaign&utm_term=%2AMorning%20Brief

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

My nephew lives in Puerto Rico....spoke with him earlier and he will be in a home built into the side of a mountain on the south side of the island above Rincon.

This will be devastating to Puerto Rico....they are financially broke.

PkrBum

PkrBum

Scary.

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

PkrBum wrote:Scary.

Definitely one for the history books.

RealLindaL

Agree it looks terrible for Puerto Rico. Fingers crossed for them and all in the monster's path. We're so fortunate that path does not, apparently, include us. Latest runs of Euro and GFS models at this hour have finally come into pretty close agreement and, if it pans out, this could be a significant save for the peninsula in that it looks like a relatively glancing blow from Miami north along or just offshore the east coast of FL, then continuing north toward a landfall at the GA/SC border. Still could be very damaging, of course, but perhaps far better than ripping right up the spine of the peninsula as was feared. And once more Tampa Bay would be spared, those lucky souls.

Of course things could change yet again, but this is the first time in a while those two top performing models were in such agreement on this storm.

East coast is, of course, far better for us as it leaves the Gulf out of the picture entirely. Hoping!!

As I head off to dreamland I'm thinking of how much fun Seaoat and Bob would be having, arguing over whether or not the National Hurricane Center knows what it's doing in predicting storm tracks. Ah well... {{{sigh}}}

Hope Sea will check in soon......

Goodnight all,
LL

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

flower

gatorfan

Irma strengthens into Category 5 hurricane, nears Caribbean Daily-morning-awesomeness-38-photos-504-213

PkrBum

PkrBum

Lol

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

North of Puerto Rico.... that's good

RealLindaL

Yep, seems Puerto Rico fared far better than feared.  Let us know if you get reports.

Meanwhile today's 5 p.m. track has shifted  back slightly west and now brings much of the peninsula back into direct play.  NOT good for Miami-Ft. Lauderdale, and also brings west coast of the state back into closer reach of the storm's fury.   Can always hope it changes again, but....

As anticipated, Pensacola mainland and Beach hotels are filling up fast with "refugees," along with campgrounds, RV parks, etc.   Panera Bread in Gulf Breeze at lunchtime was full of travelers.

Reminds me of Ivan when we evacuated to Tallahassee and the hotel we were in kicked us (and others) out after only one or two nights (forget which), because they had too many reservations for people coming to watch a friggin' FSU game.  Heartless!!

RealLindaL

Irma strengthens into Category 5 hurricane, nears Caribbean 154730_5day_cone_no_line_and_wind

(Posted as of 5 p.m. update 9/7. Will likely update automatically.)

Sal

Sal

Shit ....

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Are you leaving, Sal?

We have been in contact with my nephew in Rincon. Scary last night and no damage this am. He surfed all day and now he is going to crash.

RealLindaL

Glad to hear it, Joani.  Sal, I, too, am wondering if you can and will get out of Dodge.

As for us locals here, as the track of the departing storm bends farther west, we have greater chances of experiencing effects from then Tropical Storm Irma.  Still, if that's the worst of it, we can deal.  

I have a friend in Miami who's planning to stay in a hotel "west of there" with her grown daughter.  I think this is a huge mistake but she says she wants to be closer to home to check on her house afterwards.   I understand that, but in this case with such a big and powerful storm I hope she hasn't made a  terrible mistake, as it sounds as if she'll be in the direct path of this thing not far from landfall.

Gonna be holding my breath for her and other friends on the peninsula...and everyone in Irma's path, including our Sal.

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

I agree, staying in Miami is a mistake. Given the size and category of this storm, leaving would be a better option.

I have only evacuated for hurricane Frederick years and years ago. This storm,if we were to get a direct hit, I would leave.

Sal

Sal

I don't like any of our options at this point.

I think we're just gonna hunker down like a mule in a hail storm and just take it.

Plywood up, plenty of supplies, and just hope for the best.

PkrBum

PkrBum

I sure hope the best for you. If it does run up the state... it would hopefully have slowed by central fl.

I feel terrible for all in it's path.

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

flower

zsomething

I keep hoping it'll veer off to the east, but that's looking less and less likely. But, I'll keep hoping, anyway... that's what hope's for. I'll keep my fingers crossed that it'll have weakened by the time it gets to Pensacola.

Telstar

Telstar

zsomething wrote:I keep hoping it'll veer off to the east, but that's looking less and less likely.  But, I'll keep hoping, anyway... that's what hope's for.  I'll keep my fingers crossed that it'll have weakened by the time it gets to Pensacola.  

Hope for the best, expect the worst. Good luck Florida. Sad

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Sal wrote:I don't like any of our options at this point.

I think we're just gonna hunker down like a mule in a hail storm and just take it.

Your major problem will be if, against the odds, Irma travels into the Gulf putting you on the east side.

Sal

Sal

Joanimaroni wrote:

Your major problem will be if, against the odds, Irma travels into the Gulf putting you on the east side.

That's the nightmare scenario.

All vehicle tanks are topped off and ready to roll, should there be any hint of that.

Moving everything off the lanai into the garage this morning.

What a pain in the ass.

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Sal wrote:
Joanimaroni wrote:

That's the nightmare scenario.

All vehicle tanks are topped off and ready to roll, should there be any hint of that.

Moving everything off the lanai into the garage this morning.

What a pain in the ass.

We have had a little front come through the last couple of days. Hopefully, that will keep it out of the gulf. This morning it was 70.

PkrBum

PkrBum

Not looking good Sal. I'd try to get to Panama city or Pensacola if able. Good luck.

PkrBum

PkrBum

Just saw the traffic... I think it's too late. Batten the hatches. Just heard a prediction that Tampa bay could get a 10-12 foot surge if it runs up the coast.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum