Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Mass Exodus @State Dept

+4
VectorMan
Markle
othershoe1030
Sal
8 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Mass Exodus @State Dept Empty Mass Exodus @State Dept 1/26/2017, 1:40 pm

Sal

Sal

Ruh roh ...

Secretary of State Rex Tillerson’s job running the State Department just got considerably more difficult. The entire senior level of management officials resigned Wednesday, part of an ongoing mass exodus of senior foreign service officers who don’t want to stick around for the Trump era.

Tillerson was actually inside the State Department’s headquarters in Foggy Bottom on Wednesday, taking meetings and getting the lay of the land. I reported Wednesday morning that the Trump team was narrowing its search for his No. 2, and that it was looking to replace the State Department’s long-serving undersecretary for management, Patrick Kennedy. Kennedy, who has been in that job for nine years, was actively involved in the transition and was angling to keep that job under Tillerson, three State Department officials told me.

Then suddenly on Wednesday afternoon, Kennedy and three of his top officials resigned unexpectedly, four State Department officials confirmed. Assistant Secretary of State for Administration Joyce Anne Barr, Assistant Secretary of State for Consular Affairs Michele Bond and Ambassador Gentry O. Smith, director of the Office of Foreign Missions, followed him out the door. All are career foreign service officers who have served under both Republican and Democratic administrations.

In addition, Assistant Secretary of State for Diplomatic Security Gregory Starr retired Jan. 20, and the director of the Bureau of Overseas Building Operations, Lydia Muniz, departed the same day. That amounts to a near-complete housecleaning of all the senior officials that deal with managing the State Department, its overseas posts and its people.

“It’s the single biggest simultaneous departure of institutional memory that anyone can remember, and that’s incredibly difficult to replicate,” said David Wade, who served as State Department chief of staff under Secretary of State John Kerry. “Department expertise in security, management, administrative and consular positions in particular are very difficult to replicate and particularly difficult to find in the private sector.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/josh-rogin/wp/2017/01/26/the-state-departments-entire-senior-management-team-just-resigned/?utm_campaign=pubexchange&utm_medium=referral&utm_source=huffingtonpost.com&utm_term=.0e434be642fe

2Mass Exodus @State Dept Empty Re: Mass Exodus @State Dept 1/26/2017, 2:04 pm

Sal

Sal

Spicer's next presser should be very interesting.

3Mass Exodus @State Dept Empty Re: Mass Exodus @State Dept 1/26/2017, 3:04 pm

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

When I first got a text message about this I was quite alarmed but after reading an actual news story about it I think we might need to turn down the volume some on our reactions to these developments. We can't panic every time Trump does something that's odd or misguided in our opinion. Read this whole story to put it into perspective. It's four people. I'll freak out if necessary.

The letters from the White House said that their resignations were accepted and they were thanked for their service.
The White House usually asks career officials in such positions to stay on for a few months until their successors are confirmed.
"Any implication that that these four people quit is wrong," one senior State Department official said. "These people are loyal to the secretary, the President and to the State Department. There is just not any attempt here to dis the President. People are not quitting and running away in disgust. This is the White House cleaning house."
Mark Toner, the State Department's acting spokesman, said in a statement that "These positions are political appointments, and require the President to nominate and the Senate to confirm them in these roles. They are not career appointments but of limited term."
He continued, "Of the officers whose resignations were accepted, some will continue in the Foreign Service in other positions, and others will retire by choice or because they have exceeded the time limits of their grade in service."

The firings leave a huge management hole at the State Department, with a combined 150 years of institutional experience among all of the named officials. The second official echoed that the move appeared to be an effort by the new administration to "clean house" among the State Department's top leadership.
Victoria Nuland, the State Department's assistant secretary for Europe, was also not asked to stay on.
"The department will not collapse," the second official said. "Everyone has good deputies. It's a huge institutional loss, but the department has excellent subordinates and the career people will step up. They will take up the responsibility."
http://www.cnn.com/2017/01/26/politics/top-state-department-officials-asked-to-leave-by-trump-administration/index.html

4Mass Exodus @State Dept Empty Re: Mass Exodus @State Dept 1/26/2017, 3:08 pm

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

I still want to know why Trump is so "taken" with Putin. I still think the Russians helped put Trump in office even if it was only by accident when they tried to weaken Hillary. Does DJ just admire a very rich person? Does he admire a very "strong" leader? Is it a business deal sort of angle? Does he just want to make more money? And, I still want to see his tax returns.

5Mass Exodus @State Dept Empty Re: Mass Exodus @State Dept 1/26/2017, 3:23 pm

Sal

Sal

othershoe1030 wrote:When I first got a text message about this I was quite alarmed but after reading an actual news story about it I think we might need to turn down the volume some on our reactions to these developments. We can't panic every time Trump does something that's odd or misguided in our opinion. Read this whole story to put it into perspective. It's four people. I'll freak out if necessary.

The letters from the White House said that their resignations were accepted and they were thanked for their service.
The White House usually asks career officials in such positions to stay on for a few months until their successors are confirmed.
"Any implication that that these four people quit is wrong," one senior State Department official said. "These people are loyal to the secretary, the President and to the State Department. There is just not any attempt here to dis the President. People are not quitting and running away in disgust. This is the White House cleaning house."
Mark Toner, the State Department's acting spokesman, said in a statement that "These positions are political appointments, and require the President to nominate and the Senate to confirm them in these roles. They are not career appointments but of limited term."
He continued, "Of the officers whose resignations were accepted, some will continue in the Foreign Service in other positions, and others will retire by choice or because they have exceeded the time limits of their grade in service."

The firings leave a huge management hole at the State Department, with a combined 150 years of institutional experience among all of the named officials. The second official echoed that the move appeared to be an effort by the new administration to "clean house" among the State Department's top leadership.
Victoria Nuland, the State Department's assistant secretary for Europe, was also not asked to stay on.
"The department will not collapse," the second official said. "Everyone has good deputies. It's a huge institutional loss, but the department has excellent subordinates and the career people will step up. They will take up the responsibility."
http://www.cnn.com/2017/01/26/politics/top-state-department-officials-asked-to-leave-by-trump-administration/index.html

No panic or freak out here ...

... just fascination at another illustration of the combination of recklessness, irresponsibility, and incompetence that seems to be the nature of this new administration.

Firing the entire senior leadership of State is not normal.

6Mass Exodus @State Dept Empty Re: Mass Exodus @State Dept 1/26/2017, 3:24 pm

The adults are in charge now. Putting other nations in front of the USA is over too.

7Mass Exodus @State Dept Empty Re: Mass Exodus @State Dept 1/26/2017, 3:30 pm

Sal

Sal

othershoe1030 wrote:I still want to know why Trump is so "taken" with Putin. I still think the Russians helped put Trump in office even if it was only by accident when they tried to weaken Hillary. Does DJ just admire a very rich person? Does he admire a very "strong" leader? Is it a business deal sort of angle? Does he just want to make more money? And, I still want to see his tax returns.

I agree that this is the most important story on which to focus.

He made a man suspected of being a conduit to the Russians his National Security Advisor.

He named a man to serve as Secretary of State who was awarded a Friend of Russia award.

He acts as Vladimir Putin’s defense attorney at every opportunity, especially considering he is critical of nearly every other prominent politician on Earth.

He nakedly signaled his intention to lift Russian sanctions without getting anything related to the sanctions in return.

He has adopted a posture consistent with Putin’s desire to undermine the European Union, and has gone out of his way to criticize NATO and our Far Eastern allies.

He has been sharply critical of Angela Merkel, calling her policies “catastrophic.”

And, then there are his connections with Paul Manafort and Carter Page.

That's a hell of a lot of smoke that needs to be cleared.

8Mass Exodus @State Dept Empty Re: Mass Exodus @State Dept 1/26/2017, 4:49 pm

Markle

Markle

Sal wrote:Ruh roh ...

Secretary of State Rex Tillerson’s job running the State Department just got considerably more difficult. The entire senior level of management officials resigned Wednesday, part of an ongoing mass exodus of senior foreign service officers who don’t want to stick around for the Trump era.
[...]

Simply saved Rex Tillerson a lot of time and bureaucratic red tape.  Hire have the number who have quit with people looking to WORK FULL TIME and the State Department is working better already.

This too is the reason for the welcomed exodus. This is the reason they need to go.

Agency Total Contributions Democrats Republicans Other to Outside Groups
Dept. of State $999,502 . . . . . . .94.3% . . . 5.3% . . . . . .. . .$2700

http://www.fedsmith.com/2016/12/21/tallying-political-donations-from-federal-employees-and-unions/

Last edited by Markle on 1/26/2017, 5:06 pm; edited 1 time in total

9Mass Exodus @State Dept Empty Re: Mass Exodus @State Dept 1/26/2017, 5:05 pm

Sal wrote:Ruh roh ...

Tillerson was actually inside the State Department’s headquarters in Foggy Bottom on Wednesday, taking meetings and getting the lay of the land. I reported Wednesday morning that the Trump team was narrowing its search for his No. 2, and that it was looking to replace the State Department’s long-serving undersecretary for management, Patrick Kennedy. Kennedy, who has been in that job for nine years, was actively involved in the transition and was angling to keep that job under Tillerson, three State Department officials told me.

Then suddenly on Wednesday afternoon, Kennedy and three of his top officials resigned unexpectedly, four State Department officials confirmed. Assistant Secretary of State for Administration Joyce Anne Barr, Assistant Secretary of State for Consular Affairs Michele Bond and Ambassador Gentry O. Smith, director of the Office of Foreign Missions, followed him out the door. All are career foreign service officers who have served under both Republican and Democratic administrations.

In addition, Assistant Secretary of State for Diplomatic Security Gregory Starr retired Jan. 20, and the director of the Bureau of Overseas Building Operations, Lydia Muniz, departed the same day. That amounts to a near-complete housecleaning of all the senior officials that deal with managing the State Department, its overseas posts and its people.

“It’s the single biggest simultaneous departure of institutional memory that anyone can remember, and that’s incredibly difficult to replicate,” said David Wade, who served as State Department chief of staff under Secretary of State John Kerry. “Department expertise in security, management, administrative and consular positions in particular are very difficult to replicate and particularly difficult to find in the private sector.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/josh-rogin/wp/2017/01/26/the-state-departments-entire-senior-management-team-just-resigned/?utm_campaign=pubexchange&utm_medium=referral&utm_source=huffingtonpost.com&utm_term=.0e434be642fe

Fake news strikes again lol

http://m.hannity.com/articles/hanpr-election-493995/fake-news-alert-washington-post-misreports-15508707/

10Mass Exodus @State Dept Empty Re: Mass Exodus @State Dept 1/26/2017, 5:30 pm

Markle

Markle

othershoe1030 wrote:I still want to know why Trump is so "taken" with Putin. I still think the Russians helped put Trump in office even if it was only by accident when they tried to weaken Hillary. Does DJ just admire a very rich person? Does he admire a very "strong" leader? Is it a business deal sort of angle? Does he just want to make more money? And, I still want to see his tax returns

You desperately WANT to believe this because the alternative is just too much for you to handle. Not a single intelligence agency has said that the Ruskies had any affect on the outcome of the election. More likely, voter fraud had more of an impact.

Why can't you go back a single step and say honestly that had the Clinton Cabal NOT conspired to conceal all their communications by having their own illegal, unsecured server hidden in their basement. Or was it a bathroom? Anyway, none of their problems would have arisen nor become a massive scandal.

Taking it further, given all the embarrassing, evidence of misconduct, would they have made those posts had they known that every word was being recorded on a STATE DEPARTMENT SECURED GOVERNMENT COMPUTER, and totally out of their reach to erase or modify? Definitely NOT. They knew they would be carrying on illegal activities and those activities HAD to be hidden from the government.

11Mass Exodus @State Dept Empty Re: Mass Exodus @State Dept 1/26/2017, 6:20 pm

VectorMan

VectorMan

They got fired.

12Mass Exodus @State Dept Empty Re: Mass Exodus @State Dept 1/26/2017, 6:36 pm

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

Tellthetruth wrote:The adults are in charge now. Putting other nations in front of the USA is over too.

Wrong. The U.S. kisses Bibi Netanyahu's butt on a regular basis. But, you are okay with that......

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

13Mass Exodus @State Dept Empty Re: Mass Exodus @State Dept 1/26/2017, 6:42 pm

2seaoat

I will start panicking when field officers resign. This is normal on a transition. Everything Trump does is not stupid and evil. When folks become just like those who attacked President Obama by crying constantly wolf......well it just needs to stop. There will be substantive issues which need to be reviewed. There will be bills which will need to be reviewed, but four people resigning who were going to be fired in time anyway......non story.

14Mass Exodus @State Dept Empty Re: Mass Exodus @State Dept 1/26/2017, 6:45 pm

Markle

Markle

othershoe1030 wrote:I still want to know why Trump is so "taken" with Putin. I still think the Russians helped put Trump in office even if it was only by accident when they tried to weaken Hillary. Does DJ just admire a very rich person? Does he admire a very "strong" leader? Is it a business deal sort of angle? Does he just want to make more money? And, I still want to see his tax returns.

Exactly what does this have to do with this thread?

15Mass Exodus @State Dept Empty Re: Mass Exodus @State Dept 1/26/2017, 6:53 pm

RealLindaL

Tellthetruth wrote:Fake news strikes again lol

The only thing "lol"-able about what you just said is that you are effectively diluting the power and meaning of the phrase simply by using it to describe each and every news story you don't agree with.  As others here have explained ad infinitum, beating their heads against the stone wall that constitutes your thick head, a story that you consider erroneous in some way or just plain don't like -- despite its being based in reality, and NOT pulled out of thin air with no basis at all except in someone's fantastical mind -- is NOT, I repeat NOT, fake news.

16Mass Exodus @State Dept Empty Re: Mass Exodus @State Dept 1/26/2017, 9:09 pm

Sal

Sal

2seaoat wrote:This is normal on a transition.

That is factually and demonstrably wrong.

Nothing about this is normal, dumbass.

Wake ... the ... fuck ... up.

17Mass Exodus @State Dept Empty Re: Mass Exodus @State Dept 1/26/2017, 9:35 pm

2seaoat

That is factually and demonstrably wrong.

Then please demonstrate to me where I am wrong. Each of those folks knew they could be fired by the new administration. I will listen and learn, but for 50 years I have seen political appointments in local, state, and federal government change upon a new administration. However, if I am a dumb asz please show me where I am wrong. This is NORMAL. The extent of the wolf cries has become deafening. The wolf is out there, but please wait to you have an issue where it can be clearly identified. Firing political appointments is normal. Cutting all funds for PBS is not crying wolf......it is the wolf eating barney and big bird.

18Mass Exodus @State Dept Empty Re: Mass Exodus @State Dept 1/26/2017, 9:37 pm

2seaoat

2seaoat wrote:That is factually and demonstrably wrong.

Then please demonstrate to me where I am wrong.  Each of those folks knew they could be fired by the new administration.  I will listen and learn, but for 50 years I have seen political appointments in local, state, and federal government change upon a new administration.  However, if I am a dumb asz please show me where I am wrong.   This is NORMAL.  The extent of the wolf cries has become deafening.   The wolf is out there, but please wait to you have an issue where it can be clearly identified.  Firing political appointments is normal.  Cutting all funds for PBS is not crying wolf......it is the wolf eating barney and big bird.

19Mass Exodus @State Dept Empty Re: Mass Exodus @State Dept 1/26/2017, 9:54 pm

Markle

Markle

ZVUGKTUBM wrote:
Tellthetruth wrote:The adults are in charge now. Putting other nations in front of the USA is over too.

Wrong. The U.S. kisses Bibi Netanyahu's butt on a regular basis. But, you are okay with that......

They are our very best Democratic friend in the war-torn Middle East. They are a tiny country surrounded by hostile countries that would love nothing more than to kill every one of their citizens and run the country into the sea.

Good friends merit our alliance and deserve to be taken care of and defended.

20Mass Exodus @State Dept Empty Re: Mass Exodus @State Dept 1/27/2017, 12:07 am

ZVUGKTUBM wrote:

He gets 3 billion a year...piss in a pot compared to the overall picture. WE give Arab nations around them even more. You have your Hezbollah and Hamas colored glasses on so you cannot see that.

21Mass Exodus @State Dept Empty Re: Mass Exodus @State Dept 1/27/2017, 1:43 am

Telstar

Telstar

Mass Exodus @State Dept Trump_38

22Mass Exodus @State Dept Empty Re: Mass Exodus @State Dept 1/27/2017, 2:21 am

RealLindaL

Haven't had a chance to check this out but heard in passing on the news tonight that  one of the five high-ranking career State Department employees who's been canned was on a plane flying to Europe for a high-level meeting when he was ordered to turn around and come back, and to be gone from the Department by tomorrow (Friday).

Is this really the way the new administration should be treating people?  I think it's purely shameful, and agree with Sal that there's nothing at all normal about this.  It's high handed, dictatorial tactics personified.

Otherwise known as BULLYING.

I'm thoroughly appalled.

23Mass Exodus @State Dept Empty Re: Mass Exodus @State Dept 1/27/2017, 2:41 am

Markle

Markle

RealLindaL wrote:Haven't had a chance to check this out but heard in passing on the news tonight that  one of the five high-ranking career State Department employees who's been canned was on a plane flying to Europe for a high-level meeting when he was ordered to turn around and come back, and to be gone from the Department by tomorrow (Friday).

Is this really the way the new administration should be treating people?  I think it's purely shameful, and agree with Sal that there's nothing at all normal about this.  It's high handed, dictatorial tactics personified.

I'm thoroughly appalled.

Kindly show us the source and link to your allegation of being ordered to turn around in Europe and come home. If they're high ranking, they serve at the pleasure of the President. Do you know how that works?

24Mass Exodus @State Dept Empty Re: Mass Exodus @State Dept 1/27/2017, 2:53 am

RealLindaL

Markle wrote:
RealLindaL wrote:Haven't had a chance to check this out but heard in passing on the news tonight that  one of the five high-ranking career State Department employees who's been canned was on a plane flying to Europe for a high-level meeting when he was ordered to turn around and come back, and to be gone from the Department by tomorrow (Friday).

I'm thoroughly appalled.

Kindly show us the source and link to your allegation of being ordered to turn around in Europe and come home.  If they're high ranking, they serve at the pleasure of the President.  Do you know how that works?

Can't you even read??  I've already allowed as how I just heard it in passing on the news and haven't had a chance to check it out.   I'm heading to bed now but maybe by tomorrow I can get you your desired link (which, admit it, you hope I can't find).

As for serving  "at the pleasure of the President," I come from a career in corporate American so I know perfectly well how that works.  I also know first-hand that firing employees in this way is needlessly heavy-handed and demoralizing for EVERYONE in the organization.   Do you know how THAT works???  Or maybe you're a bully, too, and love seeing this kind of thing happen. It's short-sighted and the mark of an insecure and small minded "leader" -- and I use that term advisedly in Trump's case.

25Mass Exodus @State Dept Empty Re: Mass Exodus @State Dept 1/27/2017, 2:59 am

Telstar

Telstar

Markle wrote:

I'm thoroughly appalled.

Kindly show us the source and link to your allegation of being ordered to turn around in Europe and come home.  If they're high ranking, they serve at the pleasure of the President.  Do you know how that works?

Fake president Trump

Mass Exodus @State Dept Trump_39

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum