Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

The Middle Class Has Been Buried The Last Four Years

+4
VectorMan
Floridatexan
Margin Call
Nekochan
8 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Nekochan

Nekochan

http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/biden-middle-class-has-buried-last-four-years_653395.html

Who is Biden campaigning for?

Now that's funny, typical Biden.

Margin Call

Margin Call

Really dumb. However, is an honest bonehead worse than someone who dismisses half the country as moochers?

Nekochan

Nekochan

So you're voting for Obama? Really?

Margin Call

Margin Call

Nekochan wrote:So you're voting for Obama? Really?

Me? No.

Nekochan

Nekochan

Who then?

Margin Call

Margin Call

Nekochan wrote:Who then?

Johnson.

Nekochan

Nekochan

Voting on principle. Good for you, I guess.

Margin Call

Margin Call

Nekochan wrote:Voting on principle. Good for you, I guess.

Just wasting my vote along with all the Romney supporters!

Nekochan

Nekochan

Margin Call wrote:
Nekochan wrote:Voting on principle. Good for you, I guess.

Just wasting my vote along with all the Romney supporters!

LOL. We'll see.

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

It would be nice to put the remarks in context. We know he meant to say the fallout from the Bush recession has "buried the middle class". I don't know very many Republicans who blame Bush for the economic mess. You mostly pretend that everything negative happened the exact minute Obama was sworn in, even though all the indicators were there as early as 2006.

VectorMan

VectorMan

They should probably put a muzzle on Biden. Maybe a gag order. LOL

VectorMan

VectorMan

Floridatexan wrote:
It would be nice to put the remarks in context. We know he meant to say the fallout from the Bush recession has "buried the middle class". I don't know very many Republicans who blame Bush for the economic mess. You mostly pretend that everything negative happened the exact minute Obama was sworn in, even though all the indicators were there as early as 2006.

How do WE KNOW? LOL

Give us your inside knowledge of how Biden thinks and speaks.

biden's right... staggering unemployment, stagnant wages, rising cost of living, sluggish economy, skyrocketing energy prices, the debt increased 50%, entitlements increasing, regulations and govt scope growing... and obama wants another tax increase above and beyond obamacare and the federal reserve printing dollars out of thin air.

bad ideas fail.

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

VectorMan wrote:
Floridatexan wrote:

How do WE KNOW? LOL

Give us your inside knowledge of how Biden thinks and speaks.

I don't have to. I was there and saw what was going down, long before Biden became VP. It comes down to a choice between bombs and bread, guns and butter. Either we're working to build our country or we're working to destroy other countries.

And, since there are real people involved, as there always are when layoffs occur, it will be hard. Transition is always difficult. It's also the only way to make change.

Floridatexan wrote:

Good old Biden told the truth and even though we all know he meant to blame bush it still came out the way he meant it, he knows obama is a failure. He should have said "The middle class has been buried for the last 4 years, it was bushes fault but we didn't do jack shit to fix it and we won't do jack shit to fix it in our next term, we will make it even worse and we know you are to stupid to realize that so thanks for your vote."

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

The only problem with Biden's statement was that he didn't go back far enough. If he'd said "decades" instead of just four year it would have made more sense.

The Middle Class Has Been Buried The Last Four Years Income11

NaNook

NaNook

othershoe1030 wrote:The only problem with Biden's statement was that he didn't go back far enough. If he'd said "decades" instead of just four year it would have made more sense.

Do you know how to read your chart? What is the purpose of your chart?

2seaoat

The chart speaks for itself......it does not have to be explained, but for conversation.....what don't you understand?

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

NaNook wrote:
othershoe1030 wrote:The only problem with Biden's statement was that he didn't go back far enough. If he'd said "decades" instead of just four year it would have made more sense.

Do you know how to read your chart? What is the purpose of your chart?
The chart shows that the share of total income for the lower 50% of income earners has remained basically flat since 1980 up until 2008 BUT for the upper 50% has increased by a bit more than four fold.
Looks like a visualization of a Tennessee Ernie Ford song about the company store.

Nekochan

Nekochan

But the thing is, or at least it used to be, that just because you were in the very bottom of that blue section in 1980 doesn't mean you're still there in 2010. That is the beauty that is (was?) the USA that is uncommon in most other countries.

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

Nekochan wrote:But the thing is, or at least it used to be, that just because you were in the very bottom of that blue section in 1980 doesn't mean you're still there in 2010. That is the beauty that is (was?) the USA that is uncommon in most other countries.

Great question/observation. Things are changing. Our mobility is not what it used to be.

Harder for Americans to Rise From Lower Rungs
By JASON DePARLE
Published: January 4, 2012
WASHINGTON — Benjamin Franklin did it. Henry Ford did it. And American life is built on the faith that others can do it, too: rise from humble origins to economic heights. “Movin’ on up,” George Jefferson-style, is not only a sitcom song but a civil religion.
But many researchers have reached a conclusion that turns conventional wisdom on its head: Americans enjoy less economic mobility than their peers in Canada and much of Western Europe. The mobility gap has been widely discussed in academic circles, but a sour season of mass unemployment and street protests has moved the discussion toward center stage.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/05/us/harder-for-americans-to-rise-from-lower-rungs.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

So is more than half the country.

Nekochan

Nekochan

Dreamsglore wrote:

So is more than half the country.

Ha,ha.

Nekochan

Nekochan

othershoe1030 wrote:
Nekochan wrote:But the thing is, or at least it used to be, that just because you were in the very bottom of that blue section in 1980 doesn't mean you're still there in 2010. That is the beauty that is (was?) the USA that is uncommon in most other countries.

Great question/observation. Things are changing. Our mobility is not what it used to be.

Harder for Americans to Rise From Lower Rungs
By JASON DePARLE
Published: January 4, 2012
WASHINGTON — Benjamin Franklin did it. Henry Ford did it. And American life is built on the faith that others can do it, too: rise from humble origins to economic heights. “Movin’ on up,” George Jefferson-style, is not only a sitcom song but a civil religion.
But many researchers have reached a conclusion that turns conventional wisdom on its head: Americans enjoy less economic mobility than their peers in Canada and much of Western Europe. The mobility gap has been widely discussed in academic circles, but a sour season of mass unemployment and street protests has moved the discussion toward center stage.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/05/us/harder-for-americans-to-rise-from-lower-rungs.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

See, THIS is what worries me othershoe--not that there are poor people. There will always be poor people. There has to be a safety net for the poorest who need help. No American should go hungry.
But what I worry most about is that we are becoming a nation where hard work gets a person nowhere. I do not see being "rich" as being a bad thing or a bad person. Sure, there are bad rich people. There are bad poor people. But one person being rich doesn't stop a poor person from moving up and doing better for himself.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum