Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Jeff Skilling sentence reduced from 24 years to 14 years

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

2seaoat

http://www.nbcnews.com/business/former-enron-ceo-jeffrey-skilling-gets-prison-sentence-cut-6C10412326

Why have no other banksters and wall street people responsible for the collapse of our economy not going to jail.

Total BS that this guy skates out of what should have been a life sentence. My dad went to work for Enron (a subsidiary) and what was supposed to be a 2k per month retirement on top of his military one, ended up being 147 bucks a month. The six weeks before Enron collapsed, none of the workers with this stock were allowed to do anything with it.

I hope a former worker caps this guy.

2seaoat

I know his brother much better, but I know him.   He really was a good person.....but he is usually the smartest person in the room as is his brother.....incredible intellect, but he blew those partnerships, and even stood before congressional committees convinced he was correct.....arrogance perhaps, but dishonesty.......I could never believe he started off with that intent.....but what he did and how it impacted people is not up for debate.....he hurt people.

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

2seaoat wrote:I hope a former worker caps this guy.

I know his brother much better, but I know him.   He really was a good person.....but he is usually the smartest person in the room as is his brother.....incredible intellect, but he blew those partnerships, and even stood before congressional committees convinced he was correct.....arrogance perhaps, but dishonesty.......I could never believe he started off with that intent.....but what he did and how it impacted people is not up for debate.....he hurt people.
Seaoat, there is NO WAY Skilling didn't know and have a hand in what was going on around him.  He made the conscious decision to participate in a variety of illegal acts.  I know of at least one couple who BOTH worked for ENRON...both were approaching retirement age and both lost EVERYTHING they had saved.  It's so nice to have an intellect...but it's useless unless you have a heart.  Damn these people who think of no one and nothing else but the cash.  

As for intent...try doing anything...other than in the case of, say, a reaction that can sometimes occur in the presence of fear or extreme anger...without first visualizing what you're going to do.  Let me know when you succeed.   Sometimes we do, I believe, react before we're aware of it.  But in our ordinary everyday lives, we visualize what we're going to do before we do it.  ...pretty much every single time.  So, don't play off Mr. Skilling's guilt.

2seaoat

So, don't play off Mr. Skilling's guilt.

No playing off....nobody but Jeff testified.   He testified against advice of counsel.....not as some clever ploy.....he honestly believed that what they were doing was both legal and would lead to greater profits and success for Enron.......You have to understand....he lived his entire life never failing at anything....everything came to him incredibly easy....he and his brother achieved national recognition.....he never considered failure.....or people getting hurt....he had drifted so far from his origins he became lost in the fog of greed, and you are right.......he must pay the price for his crimes.......but the difference is like a person who breaks into your home at night to paint the family room because he thinks it will help, and the person who breaks in and watches TV and eats your cheetos........one knows what he is doing has crossed the line.....the other is so arrogant, that he does not even realize he too is breaking the law.   He was a good man.  I have not seen him or talked to him in 40 years, and I have only spoken with his brother 20 years ago......so I am not excusing his conduct, just understand how an imperfect human can fall from grace and hurt people.

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

2seaoat wrote:So, don't play off Mr. Skilling's guilt.

No playing off....nobody but Jeff testified.   He testified against advice of counsel.....not as some clever ploy.....he honestly believed that what they were doing was both legal and would lead to greater profits and success for Enron.......You have to understand....he lived his entire life never failing at anything....everything came to him incredibly easy....he and his brother achieved national recognition.....he never considered failure.....or people getting hurt....he had drifted so far from his origins he became lost in the fog of greed, and you are right.......he must pay the price for his crimes.......but the difference is like a person who breaks into your home at night to paint the family room because he thinks it will help, and the person who breaks in and watches TV and eats your cheetos........one knows what he is doing has crossed the line.....the other is so arrogant, that he does not even realize he too is breaking the law.   He was a good man.  I have not seen him or talked to him in 40 years, and I have only spoken with his brother 20 years ago......so I am not excusing his conduct, just understand how an imperfect human can fall from grace and hurt people.
Dammit, Seaoat.  A person with advantages should be able to discern the difference between right and wrong.  If you've studied the history of ENRON at all, you know there were improprieties that could not have been hidden from Mr. Skilling, and they were not incidental, but pervasive.  Why has his sentence been reduced?  Because he can afford to keep his lawyers primed at the pump.  You are trying to excuse white collar criminality because the guy was "smart".

===
Maybe you don;t know him well enough. He stole from many people as well as Ken Lay who offed himself the day he was to report to prison.

FT and I agree. Skilling is a dirtbag.

2seaoat

Where in any of my posts have I rationialized his behavior.  I just expressed my opinion that I do not think he intended to hurt anybody.....he thought the partnership scheme would work......the stock would continue to soar, and everybody would prosper.......they were hiding the losses in those partnerships and it started a chain reaction which he never envisioned.   He never had a silver spoon.....he and his brother came from a middle class family and they were both brilliant......he met Lay in the fraternity they belonged to......and the rest is history.  I am sorry.......why are we not putting wall street folks and Banksters in Jail.......Madoff and Skilling go to jail........thousands avoid jail, and you are upset with me because I post the thread and say he was a good guy......makes sense to me.

Markle

Markle

PACEDOG#1 wrote:

===
Maybe you don;t know him well enough. He stole from many people as well as Ken Lay who offed himself the day he was to report to prison.

Not true.

He died while on vacation at Snowmass about 3 1/2 months before he was to be sentenced. As a result, his conviction was vacated.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

PACEDOG#1 wrote:Total BS that this guy skates out of what should have been a life sentence. My dad went to work for Enron (a subsidiary) and what was supposed to be a 2k per month retirement on top of his military one, ended up being 147 bucks a month. The six weeks before Enron collapsed, none of the workers with this stock were allowed to do anything with it.

Something's gone wrong in the universe.  Pacedog and me are in 100%, lockstep agreement on this. Including the last line.

I dunno,  Pacedog.  This may be an indication that you might possess the same characteristics as I do.  Including the one you don't even wanna think about.  lol

PACEDOG#1 wrote:FT and I agree. Skilling is a dirtbag.

'dirtbag' at the very least...

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum