Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Ryder Cup at Medina........USA leads

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

2seaoat

Bubba is in leadoff and there have been some incredible shots already this morning.....Had an offer for tickets earlier this week to go to this today from friends I golf with.....was not feeling up for it with travel time and energy levels....but I am really having some second thoughts....beautiful day, and some great shots but standing for 4 or 5 hours is not something that works for me anymore.

2seaoat

USA is not having a good start.....it is going to go to the wire.

2seaoat

Michelson was one up going into 17.....birdie birdie, and he lost the match.....this is an incredible comeback by the Europeans....simply incredible.

Ryder cup looking good. Guess the Euro guys did not read the script. 13-13 How lucky is that.....

2seaoat

What a comeback. I cannot call it a choke, because the Europeans made some incredible shots, and putts. The best comeback I have seen in a Ryder Cup.

sad... but all of the losses on 17 and 18 were the death nail. the euros played well... but we choked imo. I never played enough golf to get really good... but i think putting is the toughest thing in sports that i've tried.

2seaoat

I have played in about 10 Ryder cups, and as I said before my most memorable one was at Crystal Downs in Michigan, but I have choked, and it is hard when you let your teammates down, but when your opponent flat out beats you it is a little easier. The Ryder cup format is fun at any level and a great deal of pressure on the final day.

Looks as if the US had a significant meltdown.

2seaoat wrote:I have played in about 10 Ryder cups, and as I said before my most memorable one was at Crystal Downs in Michigan, but I have choked, and it is hard when you let your teammates down, but when your opponent flat out beats you it is a little easier. The Ryder cup format is fun at any level and a great deal of pressure on the final day.

you played pro golf?

2seaoat

you played pro golf?

Hardly....never was any better than a 7 handicap, but about 15 years ago Ryder Cup tournaments became all the rage.....they are a great deal of fun.

I think Mr Oats is speaking of the Ryder cup format type play. Maybe not the international version that we just watched.

The Ryder Cup contests involve various match play competitions between players selected from two teams of twelve. Currently, each contest consists of eight foursomes matches, eight fourball matches and 12 singles matches, all matches being played over 18 holes. The winner of each match scores a point for their team, with ½ a point each for any match that is tied after the 18 holes.

A foursomes match is a competition between two teams of two golfers. The golfers on the same team take alternate shots throughout the match, with the same ball. Each hole is won by the team that completes the hole in the fewest shots. A fourball match is also a competition between two teams of two golfers, but all four golfers play their own ball throughout the round rather than alternating shots, and each hole is won by the team whose individual golfer has the lowest score. A singles match is a standard match play competition between two golfers

i bet that would be fun. i play about once a year... about bogey golf unless it's a really tough course. it's funny... i hardly ever felt pressure no matter the stakes... but sinking a four foot put with a few bucks on it and it nearly buckles my knees... lol.

I am not a very good player. My son played with his Grandfather one day and was hooked. I did not have a clue about the game. At that time there was a driving range on north Palafox. Good guy ran the place and gave my son a few lessons s and a break on the price of ball. One day when he was practicing we noticed the guy next to us was really good. The next time we say him my son asked him to help him. the guy was a real gentleman and spent many a hour working with my son.
When my son was 13 my wife and I divorced
He stayed with me and My daughter with my wife. .I worked out a deal with Osceola and I would drop him off before work and he would play all day.
Later on he played in high school and we made a lot the Jr golf tourneys. Bubba Watson is a year older but we got to know him pretty good playing the different tournaments. Later on my son beat Jerry Pates son at Tanglewood to win the Divot Derby. Mr Pate is a first class person.

I learned a lot about life,people and my self from the game of Golf. As some of us know it is much more than punching balls around in a cow pasture.

I still go to NAS a hack a few buckets of balls every now and then. 10 to 1 golf. 10 bad shots then "THAT" shot. Dead perfect as the ball soars in the air while I think "Oh Yea! I aint that bad. Just a little more practice and"..........

2seaoat

Used to belong to Tiger Point and got to play with Jerry Pate with the grand reopening after the hurricanes. It was the coldest day I ever played golf, and my wife was suppose to get a prize for beating Pate with her handicap....she is still angry....but she did beat him.

I have learned so much from the game of golf. I shagged golf balls as a 14 year old kid at a country club. In those days they gave you a bowling bag full of golf balls which you dropped at the feet of the pro and a student, and then I would go 150 yards out and they would hit balls. I would collect them, and then bring the bag back. When the lesson was done I was given a tip from the student. I used to get yelled at from the pro because I got so good with the bag, I could hold one handle and catch the golf balls with the bag....it really helped my hand eye coordination, but the pro could not follow the student's shot after it hit the ground.

No, the kid shagging golf balls eventually joined a country club outside Chicago after I worked for Borg Warner and the club I used to belong to would play Medina Country Club in in league play in what was called the western district. I learned a great deal about life being around some of these people. I learned class has little to do with how much money you have and that competition and how you handle defeat is a much better judge of one's character.

Our club would travel and play others in the Ryder format, and often we would simply have the old guys play the young guys.....everything was handicap based, and was a great deal of fun. I have played a good many of the best courses in America because of the friends I made during those years, but I belong to no club now, and only play about 10 times a year now, but all my friends are accusing me of sandbagging, because as I became a little weaker earlier this summer I played while we were betting and shot one over on the front, and about 5 over for the 18.....and yes I do bet......I love the pressure of a 6 foot putt with everything on the line....love it.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum