Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

This is where Im going camping this weekend

5 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

TEOTWAWKI wrote:
Dreamsglore wrote:
TEOTWAWKI wrote:I got snakes all over camp FEMA. I wouldn't harm a scale on their little hairless heads except for this one nasty cotton mouth that got all belligerent ..he had to go away.
I'll be standing there one minute no snakes anywhere turn around and there one is. I got them from little over 4 foot to a foot or less. They seem to like it there and they were there first.
I don't have a rat problem...

Camp Fema? What is that? I thought you lived in Pace? Why are there snakes all over?Good grief!

Camp FEMA is my project place..I bought raw land and over a few months have cleared it and setup a shop and a couple trailers as my bugout place...It's still very wild and I like it like that...

This is where Im going camping this weekend - Page 2 Posthole
Imagine this many many times just to install a fence...

No joke! Is that a post hole digger?

2seaoat

The hard way.....a t-190 with a auger......yawn......I nearly killed myself one summer putting a fence in with a handheld auger.....never again.

have you been to ruidosa nm seaoat? it's beautiful ... i thght of it when you mentioned driving to az.

2seaoat wrote:The hard way.....a t-190 with a auger......yawn......I nearly killed myself one summer putting a fence in with a handheld auger.....never again.

If the handheld auger nearly killed you, then this probably would have put you 6 feet under......................LOL

This is where Im going camping this weekend - Page 2 5160710

2seaoat

A hand held post digger is a piece of cake, but those one person or two person gasoline augers are an accident waiting to happen.....I never was much into the rodeo.....and depending on your soils and rocks......nope never again.

Northern Michigan is beautiful. I remember as a kid going on a late August vacation with my family to Copper Harbor and going down into the old copper mines. Lake Superior is beautiful. My routine was to spend a week over in Superior National Park and canoe into Canada.....I get a kick on how our borders are supposed to be airtight.....not really.

Northern Michigan has the biggest mosquito attacks....they once carried my wife fifty feet and decided she was not tasty enough and came back for me. The deer flies are killers when you are canoeing.

I really like Gordon Lightfoot and when we were on that vacation I remember going to the St Saint Marie locks and watching the ore boats lining up and going through the locks.

Now my best experience in my golfing life is having an opportunity to play in a rider cup at Crystal Downs Country Club in Frankfort Michigan. In some polls it is rated top 10 in America and it is heaven for a golfer. One of my hosts was a daughter of Charolete Reid who was in the US House and served as one of the first women FCC commissioners....they have this simple ranch home that butts up to a national park on one side and an old lighthouse called I believe "Old Betsy"....it reminds me of Navarre Beach before all the development and the views of lake michigan are stunning.

If you have ever seen the clarity of crystal lake....it is like you are in the Bahamas. I really do like Western and Northern Michigan and people just do not understand how beautiful that area is.

i agree seagoat... when you take that trip i would like you to stop near the 45th parallel and visit my cabin. it's under an hour from the bridge... i assure that y'all would be comfortable. I'm on a lake that has the best fishing in the state... and loons and bald eagles nesting. a typical summer day is 75 and 55 at nite.

2seaoat

What I remember most about that late August trip with my family was that my Dad had my grandmother along for the trip. It was pure Chevy Chase. However, I remember him hitting a racoon and what a mess it made of the car. I also remember that my mother was not prepared for the sudden change of weather in late August. My grandmother was an Opelika girl and cold is not something she could take.....well a cold front came through and there were snow flurries in late August and my mother had not packed warm clothes for the family. In those days it was not like you could pull into a Walmart and get what you wanted. It was a Saturday and Sunday and we froze our butts off because everything was closed. The warmest place we found was going down into the copper mines. They had just finished the bridge and it was at that time I think the longest bridge in the world. Mackinac Island and the Grand Hotel....spectacular. My wife and I a year after we were married stopped there on our way to Montreal and Toronto....two beautiful cities. No, I hope I have the strength and time to do it again, but in the summer I am up to my neck with work responsibilities and it makes it very difficult to do a North trip. In the winter, I have crossed country skied in Michigan, but I am simply not able to do that anymore, and really do not like Michigan, Mn, or Wi in the winter.

The Eagles are spectacular. We have three eagles on our islands located on a river in the midwest, and that is where I have been spending most of my time since finding out the cancer has spread to the liver. I am only about a few hours from Chicago, and it is really not like roughing it at all.....very comfortable. The Herons, Turkey Vultures, Hawks, Eagles, and Cranes are simply amazing. I can sit and watch them forever, and I sometimes wonder why I waited so long to appreciate what is around us in nature. I have the best view in the midwest in my mind when I am on the islands......and after I pass I will have my wife give an open invite for people to see paradise and stop by....but for now I need to stay a ghost. If we go back to Montreal, I will see if we go over the bridge. There is nothing better than going to the fancy pants restaurants in the Old City for lunch on a Saturday when the entrees are half price and the food is spectacular, or going to the museums in Toronto or the Island Park.....So much to do and see....so little time.

not sure if these pics will load from my phone.

guess not... i'll stick some ip next time i fire up the puter.

I made it!

I'm pooped and every single muscle on me hurts Shocked

The viliage was awesome, I have pics when I get them uploaded to the comp I'll share them here. We went at night by ourselves Cool

I cooked and cooked.

My sons took me canoeing.

The girls were such a big help.

we sat around the camp fire and told stories.

and it wasnt a official family camping trip until it rained on us.

Now im home, showered, got a pot of peas and pork on the stove for us later and gonna have gf make cornbread with it.

Hope you guys had a great weekend!

I'm home Very Happy

ZVUGKTUBM wrote:I hate camping. I did enough "professional camping" as a U.S. Marine to take any and all desire out of me for sleeping on the ground or in a tent.

Nope.... Give me a hotel room or I ain't going, period!

You were in the AIR WING. Don't even go there.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum