Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

The death of the republican party

+3
ZVUGKTUBM
2seaoat
dumpcare
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1The death of the republican party Empty The death of the republican party 7/27/2016, 12:30 pm

dumpcare

http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-show/the-death-one-party-the-birth-another

After Donald Trump’s acceptance speech at the Republican National Convention last week, Nicolle Wallace, a longtime GOP strategist, had a memorable exchange with NBC’s Chuck Todd.
WALLACE: [T]he Republican Party that I worked for for two decades died in this room tonight. We are now represented as a Party by a man who believes in protectionism, isolationism, and nativism. And those were the forces that George W. Bush, and I believe John McCain too, were most worried about during their times as the leaders of the Republican Party.

CHUCK TODD: Striking comment. You believe the party died tonight?

WALLACE: Well, the voters picked this guy. This is where the Republican Party is now. They now are attracted to those forces of isolationism and protectionism. But the party I was part of for two decades is dead.
If you feel as if you’ve run into that sentiment and that phrasing quite a bit lately, it’s not your imagination. The headline of David Brooks’ New York Times column last week read, “The Death of the Republican Party.” Max Boot recently published an L.A. Times piece with the headline, “The Republican Party is dead.” The Washington Post’s Michael Gerson, George W. Bush’s former chief speechwriter, wrote last month that the Party of Lincoln “is dying.”

After the GOP’s presidential nominating process wrapped up in May, the New York Daily News ran a cover with a cartoon elephant in a casket. “Dearly beloved, we are gathered here today to mourn the GOP, a once-great political party, killed by epidemic of Trump,” the cover told readers.

It’s important to define our terms a bit, because it’s easy to misunderstand what these observers mean by “dead.” The Republican Party will, of course, continue to exist no matter what happens in the 2016 elections. When commentators refer to the GOP’s “death,” they’re not talking about its disappearance from the political landscape.

Rather, this is about the passing of a major party as we understand it, giving way to something new. The Republican Party, as an institutional entity, isn’t going anywhere, but it’s nevertheless transforming into something different from what Americans have been accustomed to.

Avik Roy, a Republican health care wonk with whom I’ve disagreed many, many times, has been deeply involved in GOP politics for many years. He spoke to Vox yesterday about the state of his party and the degree to which, as Vox put it, Republicans are “driven by white nationalism rather than a true commitment to equality for all Americans.”

“I think the conservative movement is fundamentally broken,” Roy tells me. “Trump is not a random act. This election is not a random act.” […]

“Conservative intellectuals, and conservative politicians, have been in kind of a bubble,” Roy says. “We’ve had this view that the voters were with us on conservatism – philosophical, economic conservatism. In reality, the gravitational center of the Republican Party is white nationalism.”
In the same interview, he added, “It’s a common observation on the left, but it’s an observation that a lot of us on the right genuinely believed wasn’t true – which is that conservatism has become, and has been for some time, much more about white identity politics than it has been about conservative political philosophy. I think today, even now, a lot of conservatives have not come to terms with that problem.”

New York’s Jon Chait made a related point last week, reflecting on the GOP convention, explaining Trump’s rise as part of the Republican Party’s transition from a conservative party into an explicitly ethno-nationalistic, “white-identity-politics” party.

Clare Malone recently argued something similar at FiveThirtyEight, explaining the degree to which the GOP’s small-government ethos has been completely replaced by the politics of “racial and cultural resentment.”

When Republicans talk about the death of their party, I think this is ultimately what they’re referring to. Sure, some of these trends and ideas have been part of the GOP’s diaspora for years, but what’s new – what marks the death of one party and the birth of another – is the way in which Republicans in 2016 have come to define themselves, not by principles of equal opportunity and the free market, but by the ethno-nationalistic tenets the party has traditionally tried to suppress.

Those efforts have failed. It’s a new Republican Party now.

2seaoat

I have been attacked for ten years as being a name only Republican as if these newbies were Republicans and the politics of hate and social conservatism was what drove traditional Republicans. Now my predictions have been verified....the nut house has been taken over by the crazies. No traditional Republican will vote for this clown, and yet the people of the Confederacy voted overwhelmingly for hate and fascism. May they rot in the hell they have created. Please do not give me the she writes relativism when talking about hate and fascism, as if Bob can sit on the fence and compare two candidates........there is no comparison........evil will prevail if people do not tell these fools to shove their false equivalency and their tacit approval of evil.

These are serious times which require serious people......there is no room for clowns.

"Tea Party" and conservative Christians took the Republican party to a place it did not need to go. While in the midst of the mire, the elements you speak of, Seaoat, have climbed onto the sewage as it goes down the drain.

Nothing more, nothing less.

Hillary will be in for 8 years. Maybe I should make that my signature.

Like it or not, she will win.

Trump is in this for her to win. I'm sure of it.

Big picture.

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

SheWrites wrote:"Tea Party" and conservative Christians took the Republican party to a place it did not need to go.  While in the midst of the mire, the elements you speak of, Seaoat, have climbed onto the sewage as it goes down the drain.

Hillary will be in for 8 years.  Maybe I should make that my signature.

Trump is in this for her to win.  I'm sure of it.  

Big picture.

I have had the same thoughts, She Writes. As you said, 'Big Picture'.

I also think she will handily win two presidential elections. However, the 'Tea Party' and its ilk will be mad as hell in 2024, and will roar back with a vengeance. If Ted Cruz is still l in politics then, it will be a ripe time for a politician of his type to become POTUS. The law of averages says we will eventually have another Republican president; 2024 will be their earliest opportunity.

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

Sal

Sal

ZVUGKTUBM wrote:
SheWrites wrote:"Tea Party" and conservative Christians took the Republican party to a place it did not need to go.  While in the midst of the mire, the elements you speak of, Seaoat, have climbed onto the sewage as it goes down the drain.

Big picture.

I also think she will handily win two presidential elections. However, the 'Tea Party' and its ilk will be mad as hell in 2024, and will roar back with a vengeance. If Ted Cruz is still l in politics then, it will be a ripe time for a politician of his type to become POTUS. The law of averages says we will eventually have another Republican president; 2024 will be their earliest opportunity.

The big picture is the changing demographics of this nation and the fading out of the baby boomer's toxic influence on our politics.

The Republican party will have to moderate it stances and broaden it's appeal or it will be relegated to the dust bin of history, and something different will move in to replace it.

Saul Alinsky wrote:
ZVUGKTUBM wrote:

Big picture.

The big picture is the changing demographics of this nation and the fading out of the baby boomer's toxic influence on our politics.

The Republican party will have to moderate it stances and broaden it's appeal or it will be relegated to the dust bin of history, and something different will move in to replace it.

Too broad to blame it all on the baby boomers. It comes with the extremes of the political system and extremes of the social thing we call religion. It goes beyond an era of birthdays.

2seaoat

Evil is regional......period.......the votes tell the story......the rest is pure bull chit. An Illinois farmer could be a Republican or a Democrat. An Alabama farmer besides crying that he needs his Mexican workers who have been banished will vote for evil where ever they can find it.......just the simple truth.
Evil today is the Republican Party, but if a new party forms, and it takes those evil platforms, then you can bet the former confederacy will follow lock stock and barrel. The only crack in that sewer pipe might be Georgia where bipartisan reality and demographics are changing one of the old confederate states.....but when you drill down......it is still the White Party nationalist party vs the world.

polecat

polecat

Bill O'Reilly reminds you that Kunta Kinte never even thanked white people for the free boat ride.- John Fugelsang

Make Americans Make Russia Great Again.- John Fugelsang

Do you think Putin will be going to The Miss Universe Pageant in November in Moscow - if so, will he become my new best friend? - Donald Trump Tweet

dumpcare

Big picture.  

Trump is in this for her to win.  I'm sure of it

I have thought that for a while.

dumpcare

Don't blame Trump on the boomers have you seen the average age group at his rally's? Looks like a mixture of millennials, gen X and then boomers. The people I know that are for him are in their 40's and 50's.

RealLindaL

ppaca wrote:
SheWrites wrote:

Big picture.  

Trump is in this for her to win.  I'm sure of it

I have thought that for a while.

Y'all can "think it" all you want but no one can be "sure" of any such thing.   Trump is very obviously drunk on the adulation he's receiving and, being the narcissist he obviously is, has likely got presidential fever big time by now.  

Even if he ever confessed to such a thing post-election (presuming he lost) I would be skeptical, more inclined to believe he only confessed to avoid being seen as a loser, since losing is eminently unthinkable to a person like Trump.   But he would incur the wrath of hundreds of thousands should he confess, plus possible lawsuits by the RNC and/or campaign contributors, and none of that would be good for his brand.  

Also, if he's only in it for Hillary to win, he's got a lot of work to do between now and November to decimate the poll numbers that appear to give him a damned good chance of winning.

No, I'm afraid this theory, while attractive, is probably just so much wishful thinking.

Telstar

Telstar

If he is trying to get Hillary elected then he can brag that at least he accomplished something. Look for the Republicans to come back strong in 2020 with something like a Bush/Cruz ticket. They will go back to the SOS since that's the only thing that gets them into the White House. Bush, like Casey Stengel said you can look it up.

RealLindaL

Saul Alinsky wrote:

I resemble that remark!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum