Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

It is time to reduce our carrier groups

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

2seaoat

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/us-carriers-moves-send-message-to-russia/ar-AAgOff6

We need to reduce our ability to send messages and get involved in wars which have NOTHING to do with our national interests or the Defense of the United States. Like air shows......carrier shows are draining our treasury. I am not saying to eliminate, just careful 25% cuts which will deter the old colonial power battleship strategy of a hundred years ago. Let us work on keeping America economically strong and American workers well trained and productive. In the end, GDP is what drives military power, and our GDP is bleeding dollars on shows.

gatorfan

Reducing the carrier fleet would require the illustrious political taskmasters to reduce carrier commitments. That's what drives that train and it ain't gonna happen anytime soon.

2seaoat

I agree, but I feel our carrier groups are completely vulnerable with small tactical nuclear weapons and drone technology. We have invested so much in 1930 technology, and I feel like Billy Mitchell arguing the battleship was vulnerable. I would rather see much more flexibility on smaller independent platforms. When we put all our eggs in 11 groups, we look like the colonial battleship era, but aviation changed battleships, and missile technology is making our carrier groups more vulnerable. A pearl harbor coordinated attack using tactical nuclear weapons on our carriers could leave us a toothless giant, and we need to work more on defense.....not exporting war to other nations.

The battle of Midway showed that hiding carriers from the enemy was critical to the success of the battle.....our carrier groups are transparent and vulnerable to a nation as weak as North Korea who could plan a pearl harbor type of attack across the globe using something as small as a commercial fishing boat or commercial transport ship........to deliver small tactical nuclear weapons detonated after getting within a couple miles of our groups. As sophisticated as our groups are in protecting our carriers......close is good enough with tactical nuclear.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum