Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Why the US Dropped Atomic Bombs in 1945

+4
Sal
Hospital Bob
2seaoat
Floridatexan
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 4]

Sal

Sal

The truth has slowly bubbled to the surface, but it doesn't square with the "greatest generation" BS, so it has been systematically ignored.

But, the truth remains, and the bias is fading.

Sal

Sal

2seaoat wrote:

Where are you getting this chit?   All the contemporary documentation......please do not let me stand in your way.....show us.

You studied this as a graduate student, and you don't know how to use google??

We are not talking fringe sites here, we are talking tirelessly researched, sourced, and scholarly articles, Oats.

You'll have to wait for links until Tuesday, because I'm on vacay and posting from my phone.

Researching this yourself tho might do you some good.

You seem to have a lot of time and diminishing cognitive abilities.

2seaoat

I will patiently wait for you to produce your sources. I remember debating this with Ivory tower types in the seventies who also believed the mob killed Kennedy. I can wait as long as it takes you to find the same, and this has nothing to do with the greatest generation.....if a person does not utterly understand the hate we had for the Japanese, the carnage of the prior two island hopping campaigns, and the tenacity the Japanese were fighting as we neared their home islands which Okinawa was considered an invasion......Our civilians in the department of defense knew the score.....they knew why we built the bombs and where we were going to use them......and a pretty tight time frame.....sure the day and hour, the flight path......the logistics were not being broadcast back but were left to the discretion of the military. Truman knew......and he sure as hell knew we were warning CIVILIANS.....to argue anything else is illogical and simply not correct, but hey......if there are scholarly dissertations with facts....I am all ears.....it remains illogical.

Sal

Sal

Google is your friend.

This is going to be embarrasing.

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

Salinsky wrote:Truman didn't even know when the bombs were to be dropped.

The timing and targets were determined by General Groves.

And, it was unnecessary.

Japan had decided to surrender when the Soviets declared war.

They were terrified of an invasion by the Bolsheviks.

Wrong. The leaders of Japan were divided on surrender, and remained divided until after the second atomic attack on Nagasaki. It took the emperor's intervention to put the movement toward surrender into high gear. If you want to read further on this, I recommend this title, which I read in January of this year:

Why the US Dropped Atomic Bombs in 1945 - Page 2 51h0ltYupfL._SX289_BO1,204,203,200_

Japan and the Soviets had a neutrality-pact, signed in 1939. The Soviets had planned to eventually dishonor this pact and join the United States in the war against Japan, but did not declare war on Japan until AFTER Hiroshima was bombed (Russia declared war on Japan on August 8, 1945; Hiroshima was bombed on August 6th).

I will say that Hiroshima was also meant to be a statement to Stalin to back-off from his heavy hand in Europe. The bombing also spurred Stalin to put the Soviet nuclear program into high gear. He had 10,000 pages of notes from our own super secret program, which was thoroughly penetrated with pro-Soviet spies. The Soviet Union's first nuclear test in 1949 was almost an exact replica of our first test in New Mexico in July of 1945.

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

He doesn't want to read further... he's already found the revision that strokes his progressive misconceptions.

They've been working on this for atleast 15 years. My oldest came home from middle school and recited it.

2seaoat

Thank you Z. This argument is not new. The only person who is embarrassing one's self is the person who thinks google is scholarly. An advanced google search can get you to some journals and scholarly work, but this idea that the Soviets who got into the war AFTER the bomb motivated the Japanese to surrender is just completely historically void of fact and logic. I have always been impressed that you continue to read. Sometimes reading and digesting an entire subject enlightens, but clicking on a google link only confuses.

The second bomb was a great motivator, and it accomplished its purpose, because to deny that there was not an element of punishment of the Japanese people in our decisions to shorten the war ignores our racism and hate after losing so many as we neared the main islands and the use of suicide by plane, sure did not give anybody in civilian and military decision making confidence that the invasion of Japan was not going to be costly. I experienced this hate all the way to the late 60s where folks still held great resentment toward the Japanese people and the negative stereotypes prevailed and the word JAP was not said in a loving way. The idea that we were this benevolent kind nation who always weighed humanity when making a decision ignores that both bombs were constructed differently and we needed to "test" both of them.......and we fully knew that the targets were going to be cities.....which had less to do with military value than the horror value to end the war. Revisionist history is nothing new. This idea that that somehow the Japanese were just waiting to surrender and the bomb was unnecessary is almost laughable by the well read.

If there had been only one bomb dropped to end the war... their revision might hold water... but still factually ignorant.

2seaoat

If there had been only one bomb dropped to end the war... their revision might hold water... but still factually ignorant.

Agreed. I will give Sal the benefit of the doubt that he is well read on this subject and he has new information, but these new theories which pop up every ten years or so, must put any newly discovered facts in context, and context requires reading and understanding the logic of the times and the realities of those times.

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

"...But our quarrel is not really with the use of the atomic bombs specifically, but with the attitude towards human life—including civilian life—that had grown up during the Second World War. Years before Hiroshima and Nagasaki, British and American strategists had adopted the burning of entire cities as a legitimate means of trying to defeat Germany and Japan. The firebombings of Hamburg, Dresden, Tokyo and other Japanese cities had resulted in casualties roughly equal to or greater than the atomic bombings of those two cities. No historian, to my knowledge, has ever tried to trace how the idea that targeting whole cities and their populations was a legitimate tactic became orthodoxy in the British and American air forces, but it remains a very sad commentary on the ethos of the twentieth century. In any event, they had crossed that threshold well before Hiroshima and Nagasaki. The dropping of the bombs horrifies us today, but at the time, it was viewed as a necessary step to end a terrible war as quickly and with the least loss of life as possible. Careful historical research has validated that view."

According to Dr. Kaiser, the Japanese were preparing for an invasion of Kuyutu and were not showing signs of surrender. They were expecting a ground invasion; they were not expecting atomic bombs to be dropped on their civilian populations. And the Russians only violated their treaty with Japan after the bombs were dropped. With victory declared in Europe, the push was on to finish the job. And the war in Asia had been brutal and bloody, with heavy casualties. I don't think any American, military or civilian, had forgotten the attack on Pearl Harbor.

So, I'm glad that President Obama went to Hiroshima...not to apologize, but to bind old wounds.

I recently watched a movie 'The Good German'. I don't know how historically accurate it is, but there was a revelation...the Russians, our ally during the war, were overrunning Germany...apparently being very heavy handed, even with our side, there was a pivot...and the beginnings of the Cold War.

Floridatexan wrote:
"...But our quarrel is not really with the use of the atomic bombs specifically, but with the attitude towards human life—including civilian life—that had grown up during the Second World War. Years before Hiroshima and Nagasaki, British and American strategists had adopted the burning of entire cities as a legitimate means of trying to defeat Germany and Japan. The firebombings of Hamburg, Dresden, Tokyo and other Japanese cities had resulted in casualties roughly equal to or greater than the atomic bombings of those two cities. No historian, to my knowledge, has ever tried to trace how the idea that targeting whole cities and their populations was a legitimate tactic became orthodoxy in the British and American air forces, but it remains a very sad commentary on the ethos of the twentieth century. In any event, they had crossed that threshold well before Hiroshima and Nagasaki. The dropping of the bombs horrifies us today, but at the time, it was viewed as a necessary step to end a terrible war as quickly and with the least loss of life as possible. Careful historical research has validated that view."

According to Dr. Kaiser, the Japanese were preparing for an invasion of Kuyutu and were not showing signs of surrender. They were expecting a ground invasion; they were not expecting atomic bombs to be dropped on their civilian populations. And the Russians only violated their treaty with Japan after the bombs were dropped. With victory declared in Europe, the push was on to finish the job. And the war in Asia had been brutal and bloody, with heavy casualties. I don't think any American, military or civilian, had forgotten the attack on Pearl Harbor.

So, I'm glad that President Obama went to Hiroshima...not to apologize, but to bind old wounds.

I recently watched a movie 'The Good German'. I don't know how historically accurate it is, but there was a revelation...the Russians, our ally during the war, were overrunning Germany...apparently being very heavy handed, even with our side, there was a pivot...and the beginnings of the Cold War.

Gawd... lol. The russian atrocities are well documented. Y'all would crack me up if it didn't have an actual effect.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soviet_war_crimes

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rape_during_the_occupation_of_Germany

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

PkrBum wrote:
Floridatexan wrote:

According to Dr. Kaiser, the Japanese were preparing for an invasion of Kuyutu and were not showing signs of surrender.  They were expecting a ground invasion; they were not expecting atomic bombs to be dropped on their civilian populations.  And the Russians only violated their treaty with Japan after the bombs were dropped.  With victory declared in Europe, the push was on to finish the job.  And the war in Asia had been brutal and bloody, with heavy casualties.  I don't think any American, military or civilian, had forgotten the attack on Pearl Harbor.  

I recently watched a movie 'The Good German'.  I don't know how historically accurate it is, but there was a revelation...the Russians, our ally during the war, were overrunning Germany...apparently being very heavy handed, even with our side, there was a pivot...and the beginnings of the Cold War.

Gawd... lol. The russian atrocities are well documented. Y'all would crack me up if it didn't have an actual effect.

Are you capable of having ANY discussion without acting like a jerk?

Floridatexan wrote:
PkrBum wrote:
Floridatexan wrote:

According to Dr. Kaiser, the Japanese were preparing for an invasion of Kuyutu and were not showing signs of surrender.  They were expecting a ground invasion; they were not expecting atomic bombs to be dropped on their civilian populations.  And the Russians only violated their treaty with Japan after the bombs were dropped.  With victory declared in Europe, the push was on to finish the job.  And the war in Asia had been brutal and bloody, with heavy casualties.  I don't think any American, military or civilian, had forgotten the attack on Pearl Harbor.  

I recently watched a movie 'The Good German'.  I don't know how historically accurate it is, but there was a revelation...the Russians, our ally during the war, were overrunning Germany...apparently being very heavy handed, even with our side, there was a pivot...and the beginnings of the Cold War.

Yes... when you don't make ridiculous assertions and factually incorrect statements. Which isn't often unfortunately.

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

PkrBum wrote:
Floridatexan wrote:
PkrBum wrote:
Floridatexan wrote:

Yes... when you don't make ridiculous assertions and factually incorrect statements. Which isn't often unfortunately.

What did I say that wasn't fact? I may be "guilty" of understatement about the Russians. That doesn't mean anything I said is a lie or incorrect. I wasn't there, but neither were you. So we both have to rely on secondhand information. I got mine from someone I know to be a first-rate historian. I wanted perspective and input; you constantly seek to ridicule me and/or anyone who disagrees with you...even when we appear to be agreeing. So, please identify what you perceive as misstatements.

Floridatexan wrote:
PkrBum wrote:
Floridatexan wrote:
PkrBum wrote:
Floridatexan wrote:

What did I say that wasn't fact? I may be "guilty" of understatement about the Russians. That doesn't mean anything I said is a lie or incorrect. I wasn't there, but neither were you. So we both have to rely on secondhand information. I got mine from someone I know to be a first-rate historian. I wanted perspective and input; you constantly seek to ridicule me and/or anyone who disagrees with you...even when we appear to be agreeing. So, please identify what you perceive as misstatements.

I apologize... I misread your revelation as reservation... as in that you didn't believe the russians were heavy handed.

Sorry again.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

For what it's worth, here is what Sal is referring to...

In recent years, however, a new interpretation of events has emerged. Tsuyoshi Hasegawa - a highly respected historian at the University of California, Santa Barbara - has marshaled compelling evidence that it was the Soviet entry into the Pacific conflict, not Hiroshima and Nagasaki, that forced Japan’s surrender. His interpretation could force a new accounting of the moral meaning of the atomic attack. It also raises provocative questions about nuclear deterrence, a foundation stone of military strategy in the postwar period. And it suggests that we could be headed towards an utterly different understanding of how, and why, the Second World War came to its conclusion.

“Hasegawa has changed my mind,” says Richard Rhodes, the Pulitzer Prize-winning author of “The Making of the Atomic Bomb.” “The Japanese decision to surrender was not driven by the two bombings.”

http://archive.boston.com/bostonglobe/ideas/articles/2011/08/07/why_did_japan_surrender/

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

http://history.howstuffworks.com/world-war-ii/japan-surrenders-world-war-2-ends5.htm

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

Here is another good title that could shed some light on the dynamic between the USSR and the Imperial Japan in the era immediately before and during World War II:

Why the US Dropped Atomic Bombs in 1945 - Page 2 51EQiEhIQsL._SX332_BO1,204,203,200_

Did you know that the USSR and Imperial Japan actually fought a brief but brutal war in Outer Mongolia between May and August of 1939? It would define the relationship between the two countries until Stalin's declaration of war against Japan on August 7, 1945.

The battle I described is claimed by some authors as forming the opening shots of World War II versus the German invasion of Poland. This battle also had profounf influence on the war and its eventual outcome.

2seaoat

The Japanese knew the Soviets were entering the war upon the defeat of the Germans, and the distinction of who was invading their homeland is a distinction without a difference, and Z talking about the skirmish in Mongolia between the Soviets and Japanese, and nobody here has talked about the non aggression pact between the two nations until the Soviets declared war.....so much so that our airmen were held by the soviets after bombing targets in Japan......and they usually escaped because the Soviets turned their head, but kept compliance with the treaty, even though Churchill and Roosevelt were demanding their entry into the war prior to Tehran.

No, a theory that the Japanese were ready to surrender before the bomb because of the Russians is without context.  America before the bomb had crushed Imperial Japan, and would have crushed them on firebombings and complete air superiority which rendered the Russian entry moot by the time the first bomb was dropped......and again the Russians did not enter until after that bomb was dropped, yet could have entered months before after Germany had surrendered and in compliance with Tehran agreement.

When I hear those who now in revisionist splendor argue the bombs were not necessary........it is simply cherry picking facts and theory to explain something which was far more simple and basic.....war is hell, and the bombs left no question for the Japanese divided on surrender.

2seaoat

Also this professor from Santa Clara who thinks the fear of the soviets was pervasive among the Japanese, is historically void of what the historical view of the Russians after the 1905 war and prior to the Russian revolution where wars and skirmishes were fought in 1895 and 1905. The Japanese won and the racial inferiority of what the Czar referred to as "yellow monkey" triggered a growth in Japan's military and Navy which the west tried to curtail in the Washington treaty, but their military grew and it was widespread disrespect of the Russians by the Japanese is counter to the theory that the Soviets first had the logistics for a large scale amphibious landing, and other than some smaller Island stealing.......it was the American capacity to finish the job where the Japanese focused.........and contrary to the absurd proposition there was a unified movement to surrender, the catalyst remains the bombs.......not the reason for the surrender.....that was the inevitable absolute air superiority and invasion of Japan by the Americans.......but the horror of war brought to their homeland with little or no options left.

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

2seaoat wrote:America before the bomb had crushed Imperial Japan, and would have crushed them on firebombings and complete air superiority which rendered the Russian entry moot by the time the first bomb was dropped......

And that is well-documented in this title:

Why the US Dropped Atomic Bombs in 1945 - Page 2 51VQ0QTZ36L._SX324_BO1,204,203,200_

General Curtiss LeMay firebombed 67 Japanese cities in a 6-month period in 1945. Once the Japanese found the Americans invading the Marshall Islands (1944), they knew their number was coming up. Saipan and Tinian islands were within the round-trip range of the Boeing B-29 super-bomber, and as soon as basing was in place, the bombing began in earnest.

Except the first general in charge of bombing Japan (Hayward Hansel) was more humane than Curtiss LeMay was. Hansel wanted to just bomb industrial targets. LeMay targeted whole cities with a new type of firebomb (napalm), knowing that the industrial areas would burn-up with the other buildings. A naval attaché in the 1930s had noted that Japanese cities were entirely wooden and were vulnerable to firebombing, and reported this in his notes to his superiors--should war ever break-out between the U.S. and Japan.

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

2seaoat wrote:Also this professor from Santa Clara who thinks the fear of the soviets was pervasive among the Japanese, is historically void of what the historical view of the Russians after the 1905 war and prior to the Russian revolution where wars and skirmishes were fought in 1895 and 1905.  The Japanese won and the racial inferiority of what the Czar referred to as "yellow monkey" triggered a growth in Japan's military and Navy which the west tried to curtail in the Washington treaty, but their military grew and it was widespread disrespect of the Russians by the Japanese is counter to the theory that the Soviets first had the logistics for a large scale amphibious landing, and other than some smaller Island stealing.......it was the American capacity to finish the job where the Japanese focused.........and contrary to the absurd proposition there was a unified movement to surrender, the catalyst remains the bombs.......not the reason for the surrender.....that was the inevitable absolute air superiority and invasion of Japan by the Americans.......but the horror of war brought to their homeland with little or no options left.

Soviet troops would have never gotten to Japan without American transport in 1945.

2seaoat

I have posted my daughter's attempts to have all my grandmother's letters translated after WWII. My Uncle Art fought for the US and had been a citizen since the late twenties, My father had heart and blood pressure issues and was oldest of the three brothers, and the youngest Manfred fought for the Germans. Art and Roland had a unique chance at an apprenticeship in England in metal working, and then had an opportunity in America where jobs awaited them around 1925.
My grandmother who I never met wrote about what kind of civilization bombs civilians and hospitals. The bitterness toward her son's who were Americans never allowed my Uncle Art to reconcile with his mother. My father traveled to Europe and spent a week with her in Paris, and then in the fifties she got breast cancer and never came to America to see her five grandchildren, but her letters focused on the horrors of being bombed by the Americans and seeing civilian women and children killed. War is hell. It is our duty to stop it at every turn. This idea however, that Truman did not know, and that the bombings were not necessary is void of reality and context.

Sal

Sal

Y'all should do a little research on Operation August Storm.

The Soviets decimated the Japanese army in Eastern Asia, and ended up with forces amassed just 30 miles from Hokkaido.

It's absolutely clear that the Japanese were panicked at the thought of a Bolshevik invasion, and had concluded that surrender to America would produce more generous terms.

2seaoat

Soviet troops would have never gotten to Japan without American transport in 1945.

Agreed. Their strategic goal was Manchuria and what is now North Korea where there warm water port fought for in 1905 could be an easy add on after the Japanese surrendered.........When you see the 150 year history of North Korea you begin to understand why it has been foresaken.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 4]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum