Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Black West Point Cadets Under Scrutiny for Raised Fists in Photo

+4
RealLindaL
2seaoat
gatorfan
ZVUGKTUBM
8 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

All cadets who posed in this photo were members of the West Point Class of 2016. All I can say is that this is not a good way to start your Army career......

I was never wholly impressed with academy grads when I served. I had opportunity to work with Boat School grads and one who was a West Point grad who did an inter-service transfer to the Marine Corps. All tended to be stuck-up in varying degrees, and many were underperformers.

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

gatorfan

Probably no real racist or political intent but the Academy said it is investigating. Looks like a MAJOR brain fart to me, after 4 years in that place you would think they would have learned not to do something that even looks compromising.

2seaoat

I do not see the problem.....not a problem for me. Of course in 1968 I had no problem at the Mexico Olympics. I would like somebody to explain to me why a raised fist is a problem.

RealLindaL

2seaoat wrote:I do not see the problem.....not a problem for me.   Of course in 1968 I had no problem at the Mexico Olympics.  I would like somebody to explain to me why a raised fist is a problem.

Just google West Point Cadets raised fists and you'll find all kinds of reasons-- perceived or real.  The stories are myriad.

Just wondering if anyone realized (or cared) that these cadets are female.   I didn't notice 'til I googled.

Wordslinger

Wordslinger

ZVUGKTUBM wrote:

All cadets who posed in this photo were members of the West Point Class of 2016. All I can say is that this is not a good way to start your Army career......

I was never wholly impressed with academy grads when I served. I had opportunity to work with Boat School grads and one who was a West Point grad who did an inter-service transfer to the Marine Corps. All tended to be stuck-up in varying degrees, and many were underperformers.

I never served under a female West Point graduate, but I did serve under a male. He was a fine officer. The uniforms of these black cadets are ridiculous ... are they still using black powder muzzle loaders too?

2seaoat

I do not need to google anything to see successful women showing solidarity and empowerment. I want that kind of officer leading and protecting this country. I do not want tokens shuffling and saying yes sir master, I be quiet now and invisible because I am a woman and I am black. I could see the argument had this happen in a larger photo of west point cadets. I could see a problem if they were taking an explicit political position, but I would be more offended if they are so emasculated that a group photo of solidarity of black women in uniform actually caused a problem.....oh that is right......women historically did not get into west point.....and it has only been one generation of blacks at the institute......and yes the residual oppressive society which disavowed their humanity is still raising its ugly head......go girls go.....and F those that do not want you there unless shuffling and kowtowing......thumbs up girls.

You go through 4 years at West Point and you are going to take some pictures that show your feelings. These women - if representing black power or black lives matter - are showing their success. Good for them! It was not an easy road by any means to graduate.

West Point's first black graduate was 1877. Over 1000 since that time have graduated.

2seaoat

Once at West Point, Flipper often focuses on how white professors and cadets treat him, both academically and socially. Flipper describes seeing West Point for the first time on May 20, 1873: "With my mind full of the horrors of the treatment of all former cadets of color, and the dread of inevitable ostracism, I approached tremblingly yet confidently" (p. 29). Flipper says that he and James Webster Smith, the first African American cadet at West Point, hoped "'To be let alone'" socially (p. 47). "We cared not for social recognition," he writes. "We did not expect it, nor were we disappointed in not getting it. We would not seek it. We would not obtrude ourselves upon" white students (pp. 47-48).

Flipper gives differing accounts of exactly how much social ostracism he endures at West Point. On the one hand, he admits that his was a "wretched existence . . . There was no society for me to enjoy--no friends . . . for me to visit . . . so absolute was my isolation" (pp. 106-107). On the other hand, he also notes that "I could and did have a pleasant chat every day, more or less, with 'Bentz the bugler,' the tailor, barber, commissary clerk, the policeman who scrubbed out my room and brought around the mail, the treasurer's clerk, cadets occasionally, and others" (p. 107).
http://docsouth.unc.edu/neh/flipper/summary.html

He was falsely charged and drummed out of the Army.......yep go girls and to hel with those who want to make you Flipper.

gatorfan

2seaoat wrote:I do not need to google anything to see successful women showing solidarity and empowerment.   I want that kind of officer leading and protecting this country.  I do not want tokens shuffling and saying yes sir master, I be quiet now and invisible because I am a woman and I am black.   I could see the argument had this happen in a larger photo of west point cadets.  I could see a problem if they were taking an explicit political position, but I would be more offended if they are so emasculated that a group photo of solidarity of black women in uniform actually caused a problem.....oh that is right......women historically did not get into west point.....and it has only been one generation of blacks at the institute......and yes the residual oppressive society which disavowed their humanity is still raising its ugly head......go girls go.....and F those that do not want you there unless shuffling and kowtowing......thumbs up girls.

Oh brother...ROFLMAO, you just don't get it.

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

Having this photo taken took a lot of courage. It may go against the policy of not expressing political or other beliefs while in uniform but I can't help but wonder if a group of white male cadets expressing some similar solidarity would trigger the same type of scrutiny?

Flash on the photos of whites with AK's and then one of blacks doing the same thing. Many people freak out over blacks with automatic weapons but don't blink seeing white guys with them. We are all brainwashed.

I hope these female cadets are able to successfully complete their degrees at West Point, that this doesn't get in the way of their graduation since it won't take place until next month.

http://www.west-point.org/parent/wppc-wa/2013/03/16/graduation-schedule-for-class-of-2013-through-2016/

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

This isn't the first scandal at West Point. There was a cheating scandal in 1976. More recent was some nasty emails by members of the rugby team... Here's a fascinating article on the West Point grads from that year...the year after the end of the Vietnam War.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB10001424052970204886304574308221927291030

2seaoat

Oh brother...ROFLMAO, you just don't get it

I do not want to get what you got.....my brain is not washed and again, there is absolutely nothing political about a private gathering of military people with their fist raised in solidarity......you can with your "got it" apply any of your preconceived ideas of what you "think" this photo represents, and I would get it if in the annual class photo members raised their clenched fists, but in a private photo of powerful women in uniform clenching their fist.....much ado about nothing.....and I guarantee you that it will go NOWHERE......because most Americans like myself do not want to get any part of what you got.

gatorfan

2seaoat wrote:Oh brother...ROFLMAO, you just don't get it

I do not want to get what you got.....my brain is not washed and again, there is absolutely nothing political about a private gathering of military people with their fist raised in solidarity......you can with your "got it" apply any of your preconceived ideas of what you "think" this photo represents,  and I would get it if in the annual class photo members raised their clenched fists, but in a private photo of powerful women in uniform clenching their fist.....much ado about nothing.....and I guarantee you that it will go NOWHERE......because most Americans like myself do not want to get any part of what you got.

I can't quit laughing, you REALLY don't "get it". I do. From my previous post Sea Urchin:

"Probably no real racist or political intent" and then "brain fart".

YOU don't understand the Military Academy's strict honor code and never will because you have never been an Officer or even in the Military. It's about perception too Sea Urchin.

So throw another downtrodden race and gender card, it's all you're good for lately.

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

Floridatexan wrote:
This isn't the first scandal at West Point.  There was a cheating scandal in 1976.  More recent was some nasty emails by members of the rugby team...  Here's a fascinating article on the West Point grads from that year...the year after the end of the Vietnam War.

The service academies are completely over-rated. The officers they produce are not better than, and are often inferior to, those ascending out of OCS or ROTC. One thing they are good at producing are narcissists, for sure. I was never impressed by any service academy grad I served with.

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

ZVUGKTUBM wrote:
Floridatexan wrote:
This isn't the first scandal at West Point.  There was a cheating scandal in 1976.  More recent was some nasty emails by members of the rugby team...  Here's a fascinating article on the West Point grads from that year...the year after the end of the Vietnam War.

The service academies are completely over-rated. The officers they produce are not better than, and are often inferior to, those ascending out of OCS or ROTC. One thing they are good at producing are narcissists, for sure. I was never impressed by any service academy grad I served with.

One of my daughters dated a graduate of the Naval Academy. When it was time to deploy, he jumped ship. A "brainy" person without a clue. I followed the part of his court martial that occurred here, including meeting with his attorney. The rest, and his incarceration, was in San Diego.

2seaoat

honor code.....how exactly Mr. Military was the honor code broken in a private photo with fists raised......please explain your interpretation, and then tell me about your interpretation of the bible, because your military my chit does not stink does not allow you to walk on water or interpret what a raised fist means to those cadets. It might mean two or three things to each of them, and it is dead cinch certain that it does not mean what you want to impose on these cadets......again I will wait to hell freezes over for you to show me that any of these cadets were disciplined because of your private interpretation of the honor code which only somebody who was military understands.....now I am laughing.

Rolling Eyes

2seaoat

honor code.....how exactly Mr. Military was the honor code broken in a private photo with fists raised......please explain your interpretation, and then tell me about your interpretation of the bible, because your military my chit does not stink does not allow you to walk on water or interpret what a raised fist means to those cadets.  It might mean two or three things to each of them, and it is dead cinch certain that it does not mean what you want to impose on these cadets......again I will wait to hell freezes over for you to show me that any of these cadets were disciplined because of your private interpretation of the honor code which only somebody who was military understands.....now I am laughing.

Rolling Eyes

gatorfan

2seaoat wrote:honor code.....how exactly Mr. Military was the honor code broken in a private photo with fists raised......please explain your interpretation, and then tell me about your interpretation of the bible, because your military my chit does not stink does not allow you to walk on water or interpret what a raised fist means to those cadets.  It might mean two or three things to each of them, and it is dead cinch certain that it does not mean what you want to impose on these cadets......again I will wait to hell freezes over for you to show me that any of these cadets were disciplined because of your private interpretation of the honor code which only somebody who was military understands.....now I am laughing.

I didn't say it was Mr "claims to have done everything". You have a serious reading comprehension issue don't you? Either that or dementia.

The Military is investigating, not me BTW, for the very reason I mentioned dimwit. You have an incredible ability to ignore reality, I said it was a brain fart, can you even begin to understand????? Try to keep up Sea Urchin.

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

It will be interesting to see what comes of the inquiry.

All sorts of groups have used the sign of the clinched fist to represent different things, mainly solidarity of a group.

It would not be a stretch to imagine they were just congratulating themselves on having been through the West Point program up to this point: good for us, three cheers and all that. Who wouldn't want a commemorative photo with your peers in such a situation?

2seaoat

Gator thinks they will be disciplined.....I think there is NO chance of the same.  We will see who is senile.

Gomer Pyle may have had an opinion on what a raised fist means.....and he played a military person...does that count? Embarassed

When you use the word brain fart.....it that a compliment as to the accomplishments of these young women, or did I nail exactly what you said...... afro

2seaoat

This is a non story which the haters want to impose some sort of shame or dishonor on these woman.....same old.....same old......brain fart now means a brilliant display of team spirit and celebration.......I can bet Fox News will be running with this story......but Trump already has the haters so it becomes an exercise in futility......I will have to see what Trump will say....he gets it.....he went to a military school.

gatorfan

2seaoat wrote:Gator thinks they will be disciplined.....I think there is NO chance of the same.  We will see who is senile.

When you use the word brain fart.....it that a compliment as to the accomplishments of these young women, or did I nail exactly what you said...... afro

You're an idiot or a liar - maybe both. I never said anything about them being "disciplined".

Since you have just been proven to be senile Sea Urchin I'll explain "brain fart" - it's simply slang for a momentary mental lapse.

Being a demented, old, senile Sea Urchin I imagine you wouldn't understand even that simple explanation.

2seaoat

Tell me honestly gator........if ten years ago 15 male white cadets took the same pose as these young women, would you or anybody else raise the question of a brain fart or military honor code......of course not. If you cannot see what you are doing......then you are only fooling yourself that you are objective, or that the folks who are trying to make this a controversy do not have an agenda.

Oh by the way, West Point will not discipline the girls because like my perception their display was one of pride and celebration and only an old racist demented fool would think these girls had a brain fart......isn't this fun.....Seaoat right again.....gator wrong again.... cheers

gatorfan

2seaoat wrote:Tell me honestly gator........if ten years ago 15 male white cadets took the same pose as these young women, would you or anybody else raise the question of a brain fart or military honor code......of course not.  If you cannot see what you are doing......then you are only fooling yourself that you are objective, or that the folks who are trying to make this a controversy do not have an agenda.

Oh by the way, West Point will not discipline the girls because like my perception their display was one of pride and celebration and only an old racist demented fool would think these girls had a brain fart......isn't this fun.....Seaoat right again.....gator wrong again.... cheers

You make stupid assumptions, you can't comprehend the written word, you've turned into a liar, and now you are stupid enough to think you are "right".

Wow.

2seaoat

Not my assumption....turn your tv on and learn.....the findings from West Point are that the Girls did nothing wrong and it was a display of pride and celebration...now what are all the racists going to do......blame President Obama for a white wash.......or blame Seaoat for being right again.....oh my....my head is getting so big it got stuck in the door jam. Cool

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum