Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Care to share? Why did you join this forum and what do you hope to get out of it?

+10
ZVUGKTUBM
Telstar
polecat
Damaged Eagle
RealLindaL
Vikingwoman
Sal
boards of FL
Hospital Bob
othershoe1030
14 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 4]

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

This is my story: I have always been a news junkie of sorts and thought I was fairly well informed. One day I happened upon a call-in show on the local right wing (mostly) station WEBY and was shocked and confused to hear the comments being made.

I had no background in where these people were coming from and their comments appeared to come from another planet. I decided I needed to get up to speed on this take on reality/government/politics etc. I found the discussion on the PNJ and then kept up with it after the move to this one.

I find it very enlightening in that I now have a better grasp of the thoughts behind some of the statements that would have surprised me a few years ago. I don't know anyone who posts here but find the forum a place where discussions can occur. I don't find the general "conservative" nature of the Florida panhandle to be conducive to cordial conversation of this nature while out in the community. When there is no time to explain my Obama T-shirt I choose to keep it in the drawer, cowardly I know but I don't need fruitless confrontations while out shopping. This forum is a good place for discussions.

I would love to hear other posters thoughts on why they came here and why they find it valuable.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

It's pointless to mention WEBY to this crowd,  othershoe.
I've tried over and over to get conversation going about it but no one here ever listens to WEBY.

Seaoat posted in the past that he was curious to learn about Carl Gallups' i9deas.  And I pointed out to him that all he had to do is listen to Gallups radio show on friday afternoon.
But seaoat was insistent that the only way he could learn the truth about Gallups was to attend one of his church services and never bothered to listen to the radio station.  It's bizarre but it is what it is.

boards of FL

boards of FL

I used to listen WEBY every day on my drive home from work.  I think they had Gross on on Mondays, the liberal guy on Tuesdays (who eventually left), the weasel sounding guy who owns the station on Wednesdays or Thursdays, and Gallups on Fridays. The only reason I quit is because I got a new car that wirelessly connects to my phone, so now I listen to youtube lectures or debates on my drive in and out from work.  Prior to WEBY, I listened to WCOA every day on the drive home.  I quit listening to WCOA on my drive home when Luke McCoy retired from Pensacola Speaks, though I continued listening to the morning show on my drive in to work (actually, now that I think about it I did continue listening to WCOA when they switched to Glen Beck after McCoy retired).  For years on my lunch break I listened to Rush Limbaugh, though I quit that because he went bat-shit crazy when Obama got elected in 2008.

I first found the PNJ forum when a co-worker of mine was killed by a drunk driver.  I noticed that there was a discussion about the drunk driver on the PNJ forum so I registered just so I could go to that thread and vent at several people who were defending her as some sort of victim.  I ended up staying for the political section and eventually got tired of how they would wipe the forum entirely every so often.  That drove me nuts because it erased the record of arguments that certain members had made in the past, so I could never hold people to their prior arguments ("I never made that argument!  Prove it!  Link me to where I said that!").  So one day, while hungover after New Years Eve, I woke up and googled "Free forum".  Forumotion was the first result.  After creating the "Pensacola Discussion Forum", I started spamming the PNJ forum in an attempt to lure people away from there to this new alternative.  I pointed out that the forum interface was much better than the PNJ interface, and that we wouldn't have to worry about the entire forum history getting erased every few months.  TEO was the first to come over and he immediately recognized the fact that this interface was much more user-friendly than the PNJ, though we couldn't convince everyone else to ditch the PNJ (though few did come over and register).  Activity was extremely low, almost completely dead, until one day the PNJ announced that they were going behind a pay wall and that the forum would be eliminated entirely.  That is when I started spamming this forum again.  Everyone eventually came over and it has been here ever since.

If not for my co-worker being killed by a drunk driver, this forum would have never existed.  And everyone would have likely lost touch when the PNJ went behind a paywall.

Sal

Sal

I come here for the health reports.

boards of FL

boards of FL

Care to share? Why did you join this forum and what do you hope to get out of it? Tumblr_inline_nivhkn2A0g1sctsnm

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

Gallups is just a fundamentalist preacher like so many others. The thing that makes him stand out to me is how young he is (I expected someone at least over 65 by the way he sounds and the opinions he spouts).

His church on Hickory Hammock road is not far from where I live. I always slow down to the reduced speed limit when I drive by it, not wanting to have a local sheriff hiding behind the building zap me for a ticket, lol.

WEBY does have one good program that I will listen to if I'm in the car, the personal finance guy, Clark Howard. He's apolitical and gives pretty good advice.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Salinsky wrote:I come here for the health reports.

That's odd.  When I was in my 40's I didn't give any thought to health issues.
So I applaud you for it.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

othershoe1030 wrote:

WEBY does have one good program that I will listen to if I'm in the car, the personal finance guy, Clark Howard. He's apolitical and gives pretty good advice.

It's ironic isn't it.  The same station which has the worst content in all of radio at the same time is carrying the single best radio program on the air.   Clark Howard is a national gem.

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

Bob wrote:
othershoe1030 wrote:

It's ironic isn't it.  The same station which has the worst content in all of radio at the same time is carrying the single best radio program on the air.   Clark Howard is a national gem.

Life abounds with ironic situations!

I was on the old PNJ forum after Ivan. Left there and only found this forum last year. I enjoy the productive conversations. I learn from listening to other views. Does it always change my mind? No, but it often gives me more of a "walk in their shoes" idea of where they are coming from. I've learned much from those who profess to be atheist or agnostic.

And I love the humor. It's here. At least I laugh. Wink

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

othershoe1030 wrote:

Life abounds with ironic situations!

Life abounds and The Dude abides.

Vikingwoman

LOL! Glad you're back,Sal! I needed that today.

Vikingwoman

I came here so I could tear some assholes in two that I normally would have to hold in. Is that a good reason?

RealLindaL

Bob wrote:It's pointless to mention WEBY to this crowd,  othershoe.
I've tried over and over to get conversation going about it but no one here ever listens to WEBY.

Seaoat posted in the past that he was curious to learn about Carl Gallups' i9deas.  And I pointed out to him that all he had to do is listen to Gallups radio show on friday afternoon.
But seaoat was insistent that the only way he could learn the truth about Gallups was to attend one of his church services and never bothered to listen to the radio station.  It's bizarre but it is what it is.

Why do you keep saying no one listens to WEBY, Bob?  Don't I exist??  I told you in a recent post when you mentioned WEBY to me that you and I had talked about this some time back and had very similar takes on it, and that I still listen occasionally but not very often any more, and that I wish I believed in a god who would pass judgment on the "Reverend" Carl Gallups for his hatefulness, pride and arrogance, and that I was so glad I didn't live in Milton.  

You're right that seaoat will NEVER grasp the deeply bigoted and paranoid conspiracy theorist Gallups unless and untill he listens to the man every Friday for a while.    

At one point years  back I actually emailed Bates to complain about the constant thrum of the birther boy Gallups.  I don't recall that I ever heard back, or if I did, it was some purely pablum response.

Damaged Eagle

Damaged Eagle

Care to share? Why did you join this forum and what do you hope to get out of it? Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcREl3glEuTbwLjD0kOhFuLkqB6A7oiHoiZmc9WJtckNnfjx2x-3

To offer sanctuary/asylum to select posters from goose stepping progressive liberals carrying rainbow flags with hot pink swastikas embroidered in the center.

****SMILE*****

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-cxPIOAfSk

Smile

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

RealLindaL wrote:
Bob wrote:It's pointless to mention WEBY to this crowd,  othershoe.

Why do you keep saying no one listens to WEBY, Bob?  Don't I exist??  I told you in a recent post when you mentioned WEBY to me that you and I had talked about this some time back and had very similar takes on it, and that I still listen occasionally but not very often any more, and that I wish I believed in a god who would pass judgment on the "Reverend" Carl Gallups for his hatefulness, pride and arrogance, and that I was so glad I didn't live in Milton.  

You're right that seaoat will NEVER grasp the deeply bigoted and paranoid conspiracy theorist Gallups unless and untill he listens to the man every Friday for a while.    

At one point years  back I actually emailed Bates to complain about the constant thrum of the birther boy Gallups.  I don't recall that I ever heard back, or if I did, it was some purely pablum response.

Sorry,  Linda.  I didn't mean to.  I have no memory anymore.  And it's beyond the typical memory loss that comes with aging.

Bates is in love Gallups.  Mainly because Gallups is out there selling books and doing interviews and always giving a big plug to Bates' radio station.
And Gallups is giving free programming to Bates.  During that time period Bates doesn't have to spend money on talent.  He has Gallups for free.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Oh and both of Bates' regular hosts,  Gallups and Mike Mashburn,  are out there getting advertisers for Bates.  And a baptist preacher in Pace/Milton is apt to be able to get plenty of advertisers.  Gallups even does the commercials for them.  And you know what,  Linda,  when you hear Gallups doing those commercials he sounds just as emotional about them as he does the Bible.
It's not unlike Limbaugh,  Hannity and the rest.  If you listen you notice that they sound just as sincere when they're pitching a mail order gold peddler as they do when they're preaching their "conservatism". lol

Vikingwoman

Bob wrote:

So I applaud you for it.

He's joking,Bob. LOL!

RealLindaL

Bob wrote:Sorry,  Linda.  I didn't mean to.  I have no memory anymore.  And it's beyond the typical memory loss that comes with aging.

Bates is in love Gallups.  Mainly because Gallups is out there selling books and doing interviews and always giving a big plug to Bates' radio station.
And Gallups is giving free programming to Bates.  During that time period Bates doesn't have to spend money on talent.  He has Gallups for free.

Hey, I didn't realize, and I'm very sorry about your memory situation, Bob.  I deeply empathize, both from direct experience with my late mother's long journey with probable Alzheimer's, and from a few years of doing volunteer one-on-one visits with residents of a local assisted living facility.  And then there's my own memory, which also sucks. My brain is becoming a veritable sieve.

Anyway, I have absolutely no doubt that you're right about Bates' loving Gallups, and for all the reasons you cite.   But I wrote because I felt he needed to know that at least one segment (however small) of our area thought Gallups was simply awful.   Did my little bit and gave up.   Most times now when I happen to accidentally turn on Gallups' "Freedom Friday" show I can listen for about five minutes, until I hear Gallups supporting the latest conspiracy theorists, most recently those doubting the reality of the Sandy Hook massacre, before I loudly curse and slam my hand down on the station selector.  

I, too, enjoy Clark Howard (SUCH a nice, nice guy, aside from being knowledgeable most of the time), and even sometimes learn something from Terry Gross, though not usually so much from his callers.

RealLindaL

Bob wrote:And you know what,  Linda,  when you hear Gallups doing those commercials he sounds just as emotional about them as he does the Bible.
It's not unlike Limbaugh,  Hannity and the rest.  If you listen you notice that they sound just as sincere when they're pitching a mail order gold peddler as they do when they're preaching their "conservatism". lol

Totally agree with all this, Bob.  Oh, and don't forget Glen Beck's pitches for packaged food for the coming....well, whatever's coming.  He's never quite clear about it.  lol

But at least Beck is a Trump despiser, which makes him almost listenable sometimes -- "almost" being the operative word.

RealLindaL

boards of FL wrote:If not for my co-worker being killed by a drunk driver, this forum would have never existed.  And everyone would have likely lost touch when the PNJ went behind a paywall.

And the rest is history, and boy, are we lucky and boy, should we be grateful, whether we realize it or not.  

My pretty boring) story is that I found the PNJ forums invaluable when I was displaced from my home for nine months due to severe damage from Hurricane Ivan.   I was able to see the first (frightening) aerial pics of our house's damage via posts to/links from the forum.  Also ended up finding a house to rent in Gulf Breeze via a friend in Tennessee (who now lives here), who'd first contacted me sometime before Ivan, when I wrote a regular column on the website of the old Pensacola Beach Residents and Leaseholders Assn.  She'd noticed somebody's post on the PNJ's Gulf Breeze community forum, advertising a house for rent in Sandpiper Village, and phoned me in the sorta crummy hotel room where we were staying --  a place with  no Internet access -- to advise us.   We ran over and rented that house the same day.   Anyway, over time I became quite attached to the forum and was pretty devastated to see its pending demise.  I don't remember how or when I found Boards' forum or why I lost touch at some point, but it's sure been "interesting" for me since I've been back, and I'm especially glad to be able to stay in touch with Seaoat for the duration, at least so far....  Nice knowing most all of you, in fact.   Smile

RealLindaL

Vikingwoman wrote:
Bob wrote:

So I applaud you for it.

He's joking,Bob. LOL!

I think she's right Bob.  But then, who can ever tell with Sal?  Or with you, for that matter?   LOL

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

RealLindaL wrote:
Vikingwoman wrote:
Bob wrote:

So I applaud you for it.

He's joking,Bob. LOL!

I think she's right Bob.  But then, who can ever tell with Sal?  Or with you, for that matter?   LOL

Seaoat and Markle and myself are dying of cancer.  What someone in his 40's doesn't understand is that when you get old and all of a sudden you have terminal cancer,  that becomes a little more important in your life than which one of those assholes gets elected to what.  SO,  we go to the GENERAL FORUM (not this political forum) and we talk about it because it's natural for us to talk about the most important thing by far that is happening to us.

And when we see someone in his 40's mocking that,  what are we supposed to do, are we supposed to say "ha ha ha, Sal,  that's a good one and yes it's funny how we're fucking dying"?
So I gave a sarcastic response to what he wrote.  Sue me.

Sal

Sal

Bob wrote:

Seaoat and Markle and myself are dying of cancer.  What someone in his 40's doesn't understand is that when you get old and all of a sudden you have terminal cancer,  that becomes a little more important in your life than which one of those assholes gets elected to what.  SO,  we go to the GENERAL FORUM (not this political forum) and we talk about it because it's natural for us to talk about the most important thing by far that is happening to us.

And when we see someone in his 40's mocking that,  what are we supposed to do, are we supposed to say "ha ha ha, Sal,  that's a good one and yes it's funny how we're fucking dying"?
So I gave a sarcastic response to what he wrote.  Sue me.

I got news for ya, Bob ...

... we're all dying.

As I learned somewhat unusually early in life ...

... "the future's uncertain, and the end is always near".

Vikingwoman

I didn't take Sal's remark as laughing at anyone dying nor am I laughing at anyone dying. It was just a little humor that took the edge off a grim subject.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 4]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum