Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

North Korea to Pursue Ballistic Nuclear Missiles

+2
knothead
gatorfan
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSKCN0WY4L2

GENEVA (Reuters) - North Korea will pursue its nuclear and ballistic missile program in defiance of the United States and its allies,a top Pyongyang envoy said on Friday,adding that a state of "semi-war" now existed on the divided Korean peninsula.

So Se Pyong,North Korea's ambassador to the United Nations in Geneva, denounced the huge joint U.S.-South Korean military exercises taking place which he said were aimed at "decapitation of the supreme leadership of the DPRK (Democratic People's Republic of Korea)" and conquering Pyongyang.

North Korea conducted a fourth nuclear test in January and launched a long-range rocket in February. The South Korean military said on Friday that North Korea had fired a missile into the sea off its east coast.

"If the United States continues,then we have to make the counter-measures also. So we have to develop,and we have to make more deterrence,nuclear deterrence," So,who is also North Korea's envoy to the U.N.-sponsored Conference on Disarmament,said in an interview with Reuters conducted in English.

"Simultaneous policy is the policy of my country,and my party also,meaning nuclear production and economic development," he said,referring to the twin aims of the policy course of North Korean leader Kim Jong Un which is expected to be endorsed at a congress of the ruling Workers' Party in May, the first in 36 years.

So had no information about the latest missile firing or about South Korean allegations that his country was disrupting GPS signal reception which Seoul says has forced some boats to return to port amid heightened tensions.

"They (Seoul) are making too many manipulations,too many false reports," he said.

gatorfan

The NK's don't realize no one wants their little piece of crap country but the little boy running the show wants to play like a big dog. China won't smack them too hard because they don't want the burden of feeding the starving NK masses.

The big problem is how erratic the boy leader is - with a nuke at his disposal he might do anything and it's doubtful there is anyone in a leadership position there willing to tell him no.

knothead

knothead

gatorfan wrote:The NK's don't realize no one wants their little piece of crap country but the little boy running the show wants to play like a big dog. China won't smack them too hard because they don't want the burden of feeding the starving NK masses.

The big problem is how erratic the boy leader is - with a nuke at his disposal he might do anything and it's doubtful there is anyone in a leadership position there willing to tell him no.

I agree, China has the clout as well as standing to calm this down but the possibility of a nuclear exchange grows as the boy-son grows more and more unpredictable . . . .

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

knothead wrote:
gatorfan wrote:The NK's don't realize no one wants their little piece of crap country but the little boy running the show wants to play like a big dog. China won't smack them too hard because they don't want the burden of feeding the starving NK masses.

I agree, China has the clout as well as standing to calm this down but the possibility of a nuclear exchange grows as the boy-son  grows more and more unpredictable . . . .

Bottom line for China.....

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

This is the result of John Bolton and other chickenhawk hardline Neocons that ruled all while George W. Bush acted as their puppet in the early 2000s. I am about 1/4 of the way through this book:

North Korea to Pursue Ballistic Nuclear Missiles 51wZrgZrZ4L._SX329_BO1,204,203,200_

The author is a journalist who has extensive experience covering North Korea.

According to the book, Kim Jong Il was ready to negotiate away his nuclear program for aid and better integration into the rest of the world. Enter the Hard Liners of the Bush43 administration. Those guys wanted confrontation with North Korea rather than dialogue. This went contrary to what our allies in the region, Japan and South Korea, wanted--they wanted the dialogue established with NK before the Neocons crashed the party in 2001 to continue.

The bottom line is, after Bush started referring to NK as part of the 'Axis of Evil' and after NK saw the Neocons undo all progress made during several years of negotiations, Kim Jong Il decided he had nothing to lose if he continued his nuclear program with full-gusto. Fast-forward to 2006, and NK does its first nuclear test (the first of several).

The hard line Neocons who ran the show between 2001-2009 did way more than just fuck-up the Middle East. They set back U.S. foreign policy for other parts of the world by decades.

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

gatorfan

ZVUGKTUBM wrote:This is the result of John Bolton and other chickenhawk hardline Neocons that ruled all while George W. Bush acted as their puppet in the early 2000s. I am about 1/4 of the way through this book:

The author is a journalist who has extensive experience covering North Korea.

According to the book, Kim Jong Il was ready to negotiate away his nuclear program for aid and better integration into the rest of the world. Enter the Hard Liners of the Bush43 administration. Those guys wanted confrontation with North Korea rather than dialogue. This went contrary to what our allies in the region, Japan and South Korea, wanted--they wanted the dialogue established with NK before the Neocons crashed the party in 2001 to continue.

The bottom line is, after Bush started referring to NK as part of the 'Axis of Evil' and after NK saw the Neocons undo all progress made during several years of negotiations, Kim Jong Il decided he had nothing to lose if he continued his nuclear program with full-gusto. Fast-forward to 2006, and NK does its first nuclear test (the first of several).

The hard line Neocons who ran the show between 2001-2009 did way more than just fuck-up the Middle East. They set back U.S. foreign policy for other parts of the world by decades.

Actually you probably need to look at the convoluted NK nuclear timeline and you will find their deceptive practices and withdrawal from treaties was not caused by Carter, Clinton, or Bush. It was the direct result of their desire for a nuke. Trying to spin facts and reality rarely works, I have to wonder how your reference would do in an honest fact check. Fail.....

October 2002
Admission of Nuclear Program
Confronted by Bush administration officials with evidence that it had cheated on the 1994 agreement, North Korea admits that it has been conducting a major clandestine nuclear program using enriched uranium. It declares it has now ''nullified'' its agreement with the United States to freeze all nuclear weapons development activity.

Full timeline

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2014/11/20/world/asia/northkorea-timeline.html#/#time238_7100

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

gatorfan wrote:October 2002
Confronted by Bush administration officials with evidence that it had cheated on the 1994 agreement, North Korea admits that it has been conducting a major clandestine nuclear program using enriched uranium. It declares it has now ''nullified'' its agreement with the United States to freeze all nuclear weapons development activity.

Yes. I got to that part of the book last night. The author states that the HEU program was up for negotiation. The North Koreans admitted to their HEU program before American intelligence sources found it. The moderates who wanted to talk with NK felt that NK was offering this up for negotiation as well. But, Bush hard liners decided to use this find as further means to isolate and punish NK.

I guess North Koreans are very difficult to communicate with and their perceptions are not normal. They saw all of the rhetoric coming out of the Bush administration and decided to then go nuclear full tilt.

I guess they felt the U.S. had too much on its plate, being bogged-down in Iraq, so the timing was perfect for other U.S. enemies to do as they pleased.

Do I really need to post the entire timeline again? There were numerous violations and appeasements before w was potus. Why would you continue to read a book that you knew was factually incorrect? Did you just really want it to be true?

Markle

Markle

PkrBum wrote:Do I really need to post the entire timeline again? There were numerous violations and appeasements before w was potus. Why would you continue to read a book that you knew was factually incorrect? Did you just really want it to be true?

It's impossible for Progressives to face FACTS.

They can only accept things which make them feel good.

2seaoat

The analysis of why China appears not concerned is not about feeding North Korea.....they could live with them starving. What they cannot live with is a unified Korea under South Korea and its strong alliance with the United States. China has little or no use for North Korea, but a divided Korea fits its strategic defense of mainland china.....this paradigm has been the same since the Korean war when foreign policy experts warned the military that south Korean advances too far into the North would cause the Chinese to become involved in the Korean War.....of course the military ignored clear warnings through Indian diplomatic channels that the Chinese if threatened at their border would intervene....MacArthur ignored and in classic American arrogance found out that the Chinese were not soft and inexperienced. The same mistakes are being made by so called experts.....The Chinese want Korea to stay divided and to that end they tolerate the idiot in NK. People trying to blame this President or that President fail to understand the history of the conflict and the simple truths which keep this area in conflict.

ZVUGKTUBM wrote:
gatorfan wrote:October 2002

Yes. I got to that part of the book last night. The author states that the HEU program was up for negotiation. The North Koreans admitted to their HEU program before American intelligence sources found it. The moderates who wanted to talk with NK felt that NK was offering this up for negotiation as well. But, Bush hard liners decided to use this find as further means to isolate and punish NK.

I guess North Koreans are very difficult to communicate with and their perceptions are not normal. They saw all of the rhetoric coming out of the Bush administration and decided to then go nuclear full tilt.

I guess they felt the U.S. had too much on its plate, being bogged-down in Iraq, so the timing was perfect for other U.S. enemies to do as they pleased.

http://www.newsweek.com/2016/04/15/north-korea-nuclear-deal-kim-jong-un-barack-obama-south-korea-china-united-442503.html

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

Interesting article. I need to get my nose back into the book I'm reading. No doubt, Obama has read North Korea wrong, but so did Bush and also Clinton.

They are isolated from the rest of the world, and perhaps Kim Jong Un will try to help his country out. We will see how this plays out.

What makes no sense is the new and growing in popularity talkingpoint that sanctions aren't effective. Without them there is no incentive to comply with reasonable and peaceful global demands. There's no reason to cave to the unreasonable.

No deal is much better than a bad deal.

Markle

Markle

It isn't doubtful, it is a certain as the sun coming up this morning. He THOUGHT his uncle was opposed to his thinking and he had him executed.

Markle

Markle

ZVUGKTUBM wrote:Interesting article. I need to get my nose back into the book I'm reading. No doubt, Obama has read North Korea wrong, but so did Bush and also Clinton.

They are isolated from the rest of the world, and perhaps Kim Jong Un will try to help his country out. We will see how this plays out.

Kim Jong Un doesn't give a rats behind about his people. He cares about his prestige and place in the world as a nuclear power.

He has seen the massive rewards Iran has received from the United States due to us having such a weak, impotent President. Kim Jong Un wants his share too.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum