Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

When friends get old

+3
Hallmarkgard
ZVUGKTUBM
2seaoat
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1When friends get old Empty When friends get old 2/17/2016, 11:11 am

2seaoat

We are good friends with a couple who are both 74. They both have lived vibrant retirement years since their early sixties. However, the husband has had back surgery which has really caused his mental process to slow down. He would play a 150 rounds a year, and can only play now about twice a week.

Well his wife played with my wife yesterday. My wife said she seemed confused most of the golf round. She would hit first, and then the other ladies would hit, and then she would go to the T and hit again. My wife figured she did not like her first ball and was taking a mulligan. However, when they got out to her two balls on the fairway, she hit her second ball which makes sense if she had done a mulligan, but then starts driving off, and my wife goes hey......are you going to pick up your first ball? She goes.....that is not my ball. She then picks the ball up and says.....hey this is the same type of ball I am hitting. My wife goes.....you hit twice from the T box.....she answers....no I did not hit twice. My wife goes ok, at least you found a ball that you can use.

The decline in a year has been shocking. The wife did tell my wife that it was getting more difficult to spend six months in South Florida away from home, and that next year they may stay at home. We have been very sad because we knew how happy they were to be independent and enjoy the winter months at Marco Island or Arizona. Anybody who thinks getting to your golden years is always golden is a fool. Have fun and travel when you are in your fifties and do not expect that all cylinders will be firing when you get in your seventies.......nature has rules, and Americans try to keep pushing back the aging process, but reality will hit you with a two by four.

2When friends get old Empty Re: When friends get old 2/17/2016, 1:22 pm

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

Mental and physical health issues do seem to intervene. Most in our generation will not be able to have the retirement pushed by vulture advertising in the media, that is designed to prey on seniors. Either they will have enough money to buy what they envision, but too poor health to enjoy it, or they won't have enough money and will need to settle for much less, materially.

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

3When friends get old Empty Re: When friends get old 2/17/2016, 2:29 pm

Hallmarkgard

The older you get, the less important material things become...Some people are lucky. I am 74 and I am in pretty good shape. The trick is to be happy where you are no matter what the circumstances are. I have lived a good life, If it ends tomorrow it will be ok.....

4When friends get old Empty Re: When friends get old 2/17/2016, 2:57 pm

Ain't that the truth. I still can't believe that Teo is gone. I read his last post again... he was perfectly lucid...

then gone.

5When friends get old Empty Re: When friends get old 2/17/2016, 3:10 pm

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

Hallmarkgard wrote:The older you get, the less important material things become...Some people are lucky.  I am 74 and I am in pretty good shape.  The trick is to be happy where you are no matter what the circumstances are.   I have lived a good life, If it ends tomorrow it will be ok.....

You are correct, Hallmark. Enjoy your life the best you can, where you are, with what you have. You have shared your sentiments on life before, and I admire your outlook.

6When friends get old Empty Re: When friends get old 2/17/2016, 3:30 pm

Sal

Sal

2seaoat wrote:We are good friends with a couple who are both 74.  They both have lived vibrant retirement years since their early sixties.  However, the husband has had back surgery which has really caused his mental process to slow down.  He would play a 150 rounds a year, and can only play now about twice a week.

Well his wife played with my wife yesterday.  My wife said she seemed confused most of the golf round.   She would hit first, and then the other ladies would hit, and then she would go to the T and hit again.   My wife figured she did not like her first ball and was taking a mulligan.  However, when they got out to her two balls on the fairway, she hit her second ball which makes sense if she had done a mulligan, but then starts driving off, and my wife goes hey......are you going to pick up your first ball?   She goes.....that is not my ball.   She then picks the ball up and says.....hey this is the same type of ball I am hitting.  My wife goes.....you hit twice from the T box.....she answers....no I did not hit twice.   My wife goes ok, at least you found a ball that you can use.

The decline in a year has been shocking.  The wife did tell my wife that it was getting more difficult to spend six months in South Florida away from home, and that next year they may stay at home.  We have been very sad because we knew how happy they were to be independent and enjoy the winter months at Marco Island or Arizona.  Anybody who thinks getting to your golden years is always golden is a fool.  Have fun and travel when you are in your fifties and do not expect that all cylinders will be firing when you get in your seventies.......nature has rules, and Americans try to keep pushing back the aging process, but reality will hit you with a two by four.

It is sad.

My parents are both now octogenarians.

They both have slipped ever so slightly cognitively, and my mother has back problems that prevent her from being as physically active as she'd like, but she still does her book clubs, volunteers at a children's clothing charity, and does most of what she wants to do.

My dad walks 4-5 miles a day, goes to the gym 4 days a week, and golfs several times a week in the summer, walking the course.

They both do need a nap after lunch.

When they were in town a few weeks ago, they rented a car and drove to Jax to see a couple who have been their life-long friends and stay with them for a couple of days.

The woman used to be about as sharp and acerbic as anyone you could imagine, and he was a hilarious bear of a man.

My father said she could not remember what day it was, and would ask him repeatedly, "Is this today's paper?".  Like 5-10 time each morning.

He has a very hard time getting around and uses a walker much of the time, and they were scared riding in the car with him because his reaction time was so slow and he kept getting lost.

When they returned to our house, they were both visibly shaken by their visit.

They are very, very lucky to be where they are at this stage of their lives.

7When friends get old Empty Re: When friends get old 2/17/2016, 6:36 pm

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

I remember back around 1971 asking my maternal grandfather, who was then around 79 years old, how his friends were doing. His answer to me was: "They're dying!"

My paternal grandfather was a hoot. He was really not related to me because he was my Dad's stepfather (Dad's father died in 1937 of a heart attack, and my grandmother remarried). He was actually 10 years younger than my grandmother when he married her, and their relationship soured after about 2 years, but they stayed together after my grandmother became pregnant with my Dad's younger brother. "Grandad" as we called him was Stanford-educated and worked as a petroleum engineer in Kern County, CA oil fields. He became a raging alcoholic by the mid-1960s, and my grandmother divorced him finally in 1969. She died 2 years later, and eventually, Grandad hooked up with a lady his age, Florence. They were married in 1975, and had 25 blissful years together before dying 3 weeks apart at age 90, in May of 2000. Florence was the woman he should have married in 1937 instead of my grandmother.... They were pretty feeble toward the end, but they stayed in their own home until death.

I remember my Dad telling me a story about sending Grandad a spoof birthday card in 1993 that made light of an elderly man not being able to sustain an erection. Grandad called him with a serious tone and asked him why he was making fun of his inflatable penal-implant. Dad did not know that he had gotten an implant at age 83 so he could still make whoopee with his bride, who was also 83....

8When friends get old Empty Re: When friends get old 2/18/2016, 2:11 am

RealLindaL

I'm grateful to all of you for sharing your fascinating, true slice-of-life stories and philosophies.  As we age, these things become especially precious and supportive of a continued positive outlook on life, despite its many travails and tragedies.

9When friends get old Empty Re: When friends get old 2/18/2016, 11:24 am

I think we have to do all we can to remain sharp. Eating well, exercising both body and brain, and removing stressors from our life. Something will get us in the end but we all can do our best to meet the challenges that will come.

I always think about the over 100 year old man that said he smoked and drank Dr. Pepper every day. Is there really a formula? I don't know but we all have to keep moving and use what we have to the best of our ability.

Live long and prosper (giving the V sign.) Very Happy

10When friends get old Empty Re: When friends get old 2/18/2016, 3:34 pm

RealLindaL

SheWrites wrote:I  always think about the over 100 year old man that said he smoked and drank Dr. Pepper every day.  Is there really a formula?  I don't know

I don't know, either, but as for me I always think about the over 100 year old man who said the secret is to always have something coming UPS.   Now there's a man after my own heart!!    Smile

11When friends get old Empty Re: When friends get old 2/18/2016, 4:01 pm

RealLindaL wrote:
SheWrites wrote:I  always think about the over 100 year old man that said he smoked and drank Dr. Pepper every day.  Is there really a formula?  I don't know

I don't know, either, but as for me I always think about the over 100 year old man who said the secret is to always have something coming UPS.   Now there's a man after my own heart!!    Smile

Since before Christmas and now with a new baby in the house it's been nonstop UPS, FedEx, and USPS nearly every day. I see I can buy groceries on line...is there no end? Razz

12When friends get old Empty Re: When friends get old 2/18/2016, 7:19 pm

RealLindaL

SheWrites wrote:Since before Christmas and now with a new baby in the house it's been nonstop UPS, FedEx, and USPS nearly every day.

That's great!  It probably means you'll live to 100!

13When friends get old Empty Re: When friends get old 2/18/2016, 8:28 pm

RealLindaL wrote:
SheWrites wrote:Since before Christmas and now with a new baby in the house it's been nonstop UPS, FedEx, and USPS nearly every day.

That's great!  It probably means you'll live to 100!

Putting in the order for wrinkle cream! cheers

14When friends get old Empty Re: When friends get old 2/18/2016, 11:07 pm

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

A round of Wrinkle be Gone!

15When friends get old Empty Re: When friends get old 2/19/2016, 3:22 am

RealLindaL

Joanimaroni wrote:A round of Wrinkle be Gone!

LOL!!   But hey, as long as I could see and hear and move and think reasonably clearly, I'd take the 100 year wrinkles with a smile!      Smile

16When friends get old Empty Re: When friends get old 2/19/2016, 9:06 am

Absolutely!

17When friends get old Empty Re: When friends get old 2/19/2016, 9:40 am

cool1

cool1

haha have any of you tried this stuff called Ageless , takes wrinkles out for 8 hours , I have some I got a year ago and never use it unless I have place to go to where I want my wrinkles gone , So yea I don't use it that much , But it works Razz

18When friends get old Empty Re: When friends get old 2/19/2016, 11:22 am

Card game for friends who get old...

When friends get old Cards10

19When friends get old Empty Re: When friends get old 2/19/2016, 2:34 pm

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

SheWrites wrote:Card game for friends who get old...

When friends get old Cards10

lol!

20When friends get old Empty Re: When friends get old 2/19/2016, 5:53 pm

RealLindaL

Very cute.    Laughing

21When friends get old Empty Re: When friends get old 2/20/2016, 7:27 am

cool1

cool1

I saw that on Face book so funny I need some cards like that , I tell my husband use the cards with big numbers Laughing

22When friends get old Empty Re: When friends get old 2/20/2016, 11:44 am

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

I only play cards on my computer. In 1998, my daughter gave me a CD that had about 50 solitaire games on it. I started playing just one game: Whitehead Solitaire. That CD has been loaded onto every new computer since. I have played it about 7,000 times. The game counter has reset itself at least three times along the way, so there is no way to accurately gauge where I am. It most recently reset itself when I upgraded to Windows 10 last September.

Brooke once told me: "Daddy, you play too much solitaire on your computer, and I am going to delete the game from it." I told her: "You will do no such thing...." It is a great time waster.
Razz

23When friends get old Empty Re: When friends get old 2/20/2016, 11:56 pm

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

549]When friends get old Fb_img10[/url]

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum