Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

2015 Q4 GDP (first estimate): +0.7%

4 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

boards of FL

boards of FL

http://www.bea.gov/newsreleases/national/gdp/gdpnewsrelease.htm

http://mam.econoday.com/byshoweventfull.asp?fid=472135&cust=mam&year=2016&lid=0&prev=/byweek.asp#top

Consumer spending is the central driver of the economy but is slowing, at least it was during the fourth quarter when GDP rose only at a 0.7 percent annualized rate. Final demand rose 1.2 percent, which is the weakest since first quarter last year but is still 5 tenths above GDP.

Spending on services, adding 0.9 percentage points, was a leading contributor to the quarter as was spending on goods, at plus 0.5. Residential investment, another measure of consumer health, rose very solidly once again, contributing 0.3 percentage points. Government purchases added modestly to growth.

The negatives are on the business side especially those facing foreign markets. Net exports pulled down GDP by 0.5 percentage points. Non-residential investment pulled down GDP by more than 0.2 percentage points. Reduction in inventory investment, which the FOMC warned about on Wednesday, pulled the quarter down by 0.5 percentage points.

Price data are not accelerating, at plus 0.8 percent for the GDP price index which is the lowest reading since plus 0.1 in the first quarter last year. The core price reading is only slightly higher, at plus 1.1 percent which is also the weakest reading in a year.

There are definitely points of concern in this report, especially the weakness in exports and business investment, but it's the resilience in the consumer, despite a soft holiday season, that headlines this report and should help confirm faith in the domestic strength of the economy.

2015 Q4 GDP (first estimate): +0.7% Showimage

With a slow buying season in the traditional holiday quarter, maybe this means people are finding better ways to celebrate and give.  One can hope.  I don't think it indicates people do not have the money to spend.  I think it's the choice of how they spend.

I had to familiarize myself with US exports.  Decent site for a refresher:
http://www.worldsrichestcountries.com/top_us_exports.html

Our top exports to Switzerland are pretty interesting:

America’s exports to Switzerland amounted to
$22.7 billion or 1.4% of its overall exports.

1. Gems, precious metals, coins: $11 billion
2. Pharmaceuticals: $2.3 billion
3. Collector items, art, antiques: $2.3 billion

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

Too bad poster Obamasucks isn't here to tell BoF: "It's all lies!!"

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

Markle

Markle

This has been out since last week.  I guess BoardsofFL was screwing up the courage to start a thread on the meager growth of this economy.

An annual average of 3% is a reasonable rate of growth.  Not too high, not too low.

Then we have the current economy of Lame Duck President Obama.

Last edited by Markle on 2/1/2016, 3:48 pm; edited 1 time in total

Markle

Markle

SheWrites wrote:With a slow buying season in the traditional holiday quarter, maybe this means people are finding better ways to celebrate and give.  One can hope.  I don't think it indicates people do not have the money to spend.  I think it's the choice of how they spend.

As you should well know, that is not the case. The average household had $3,000.00 less income last year. The average income has gone down each year Lame Duck President Obama has been in the Oval Office.

boards of FL

boards of FL

Markle wrote:This has been out since last week.  I guess BoardsofFL was screwing up the courage to start a thread on the meager growth of this economy.

An annual average of 3% is a good rate of growth.  Not too high, not too low.

Then we have the current economy of Lame Duck President Obama.  

2015 Q4 GDP (first estimate): +0.7% Bonbon-dbfbe36b2ab7e3e46f8bdbc19fcc3ada

Markle wrote:
SheWrites wrote:With a slow buying season in the traditional holiday quarter, maybe this means people are finding better ways to celebrate and give.  One can hope.  I don't think it indicates people do not have the money to spend.  I think it's the choice of how they spend.

As you should well know, that is not the case.  The average household had $3,000.00 less income last year.  The average income has gone down each year Lame Duck President Obama has been in the Oval Office.

You are doom and gloom.

SheWrites wrote:
Markle wrote:

As you should well know, that is not the case.  The average household had $3,000.00 less income last year.  The average income has gone down each year Lame Duck President Obama has been in the Oval Office.

You are doom and gloom.

.7 is not unicorns and rainbows... it's likely below inflation. Bofer should know that... if he were honest and objective.

Markle

Markle

SheWrites wrote:
Markle wrote:

You are doom and gloom.  

If that means I don't wear the Lame Duck Obama's prescription rose colored glasses, you are most certainly right.

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

SheWrites wrote:You are doom and gloom.  

He is one of those Republicans who would happily accept a receding economy in 2016 if it would help GOP prospects in November.

boards of FL

boards of FL

PkrBum wrote:
SheWrites wrote:
Markle wrote:

You are doom and gloom.  

.7 is not unicorns and rainbows... it's likely below inflation. Bofer should know that... if he were honest and objective.

Let's pretend for a second that I know absolutely nothing about economics. What is your point here? When you say "it's likely below inflation", what do you actually mean? What is it that you're suggesting here?

Markle

Markle

ZVUGKTUBM wrote:
SheWrites wrote:You are doom and gloom.  

He is one of those Republicans who would happily accept a receding economy in 2016 if it would help GOP prospects in November.

Not true. There is a major difference "happily accepting" and forecasting the miserable economy due to the policies put in place by Lame Duck President Obama.

Markle

Markle

boards of FL wrote:
PkrBum wrote:
SheWrites wrote:
Markle wrote:

You are doom and gloom.  

Let's pretend for a second that I know absolutely nothing about economics.  What is your point here?  When you say "it's likely below inflation", what do you actually mean?  What is it that you're suggesting here?

The economy is in the toilet.

How's that?

boards of FL

boards of FL

Markle wrote:
boards of FL wrote:
PkrBum wrote:
SheWrites wrote:
Markle wrote:

You are doom and gloom.  

Let's pretend for a second that I know absolutely nothing about economics.  What is your point here?  When you say "it's likely below inflation", what do you actually mean?  What is it that you're suggesting here?

How's that?

In order for that to be true, we would at the very least need to be in a recession. But we're not, are we? We're having this very discussion within a thread whose subject is the very expansion - however slow in this particular observation - of our economy. That is, the economy expanded in the fourth quarter of 2015. The economy grew.

Now, I'm sure you would like to inject some choice subjective words in there, like "good", "average", or "bad". Feel free. By a show of hands, who here places any stock Markle's subjective opinion about economic numbers? Who here thinks Markle can even tell you how old he is without stopping to think about it?

Don't all raise your hands at once now.

PkrBum wrote:
SheWrites wrote:
Markle wrote:

You are doom and gloom.  

He did not make the GDP report, the government takes care of that.

How much more honest and objective can you get than to report what the government is reporting?

Oh wait, y'all don't trust anything. It's better to believe the gloom and doom.

boards of FL

boards of FL

boards of FL wrote:
PkrBum wrote:
SheWrites wrote:
Markle wrote:

You are doom and gloom.  

So...you don't know what your point was there?  

Uh oh...it's happening again.

If you're going to suggest that someone is dishonest, shouldn't you at least be able to state such a point succinctly and in some way that conveys substance?  Shouldn't you at least be able to explain your opinion to some degree?

http://www.usinflationcalculator.com/inflation/current-inflation-rates/

The latest inflation rate for the United States is 0.7% through the 12 months ended December 2015 as published by the US government on January 20, 2016.

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

boards of FL wrote:By a show of hands, who here places any stock Markle's subjective opinion about economic numbers?  Who here thinks Markle can even tell you how old he is without stopping to think about it?

Razz:P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P

boards of FL

boards of FL

PkrBum wrote:http://www.usinflationcalculator.com/inflation/current-inflation-rates/

The latest inflation rate for the United States is 0.7% through the 12 months ended December 2015 as published by the US government on January 20, 2016.

But what is your point?  Let me help you out here.  We're having this conversation within a thread that I created today about the recent GDP numbers.  All I did was post a direct link to the actual GDP report.  Your response there is to tell me that I'm dishonest and that ".7 is not unicorns and rainbows... it's likely below inflation. Bofer should know that..."  That was your response.  My question to you was what on earth does that mean?   That is what I'm asking you, and your response is a random citation of the inflation rate?  

PkrBum, are you not able to simply state what your point was?  Are you not able to explain your opinion that I'm being dishonest by posting the GDP numbers?  Is this another one of those times where you make a vague, unintelligible statement, and then when asked to clarify, you run away?

I feel the need to restate everything again here.  Here is the conversation so far:

boards of fl: (insert GDP report)

PkrBum:  ".7 is not unicorns and rainbows... it's likely below inflation. Bofer should know that... if he were honest and objective."

boards of fl:  "What is your point?"

PkrBum:  (insert link to a website about inflation)

PkrBum, can you simply state your point?  You realize that I really can't set the bar any lower for you, right?  I mean, if you can't even explain your own subjective beliefs...

Let me see if I can give you some help here in coming up with the words to explain the inflation part of your comment. Did you mean to say that since our growth in GDP is roughly the same as our rate of inflation, we can therefor conclude that we didn't actually have any economic growth? Instead, all we have is inflated numbers? Is that what you're trying to say, PkrBum?

Markle

Markle

boards of FL wrote:
Markle wrote:
boards of FL wrote:
PkrBum wrote:
SheWrites wrote:
Markle wrote:

You are doom and gloom.  

How's that?

In order for that to be true, we would at the very least need to be in a recession.   But we're not, are we?  We're having this very discussion within a thread whose subject is the very expansion - however slow in this particular observation - of our economy.   That is, the economy expanded in the fourth quarter of 2015.  The economy grew.

Now, I'm sure you would like to inject some choice subjective words in there, like "good", "average", or "bad".  Feel free.  By a show of hands, who here places any stock Markle's subjective opinion about economic numbers?  Who here thinks Markle can even tell you how old he is without stopping to think about it?

Not really. The word would be malaise. A word made famous during the infamous term of Jimmy Carter.

boards of FL

boards of FL

boards of FL wrote:
PkrBum wrote:http://www.usinflationcalculator.com/inflation/current-inflation-rates/

But what is your point?  Let me help you out here.  We're having this conversation within a thread that I created today about the recent GDP numbers.  All I did was post a direct link to the actual GDP report.  Your response there is to tell me that I'm dishonest and that ".7 is not unicorns and rainbows... it's likely below inflation. Bofer should know that..."  That was your response.  My question to you was what on earth does that mean?   That is what I'm asking you, and your response is a random citation of the inflation rate?  

PkrBum, are you not able to simply state what your point was?  Are you not able to explain your opinion that I'm being dishonest by posting the GDP numbers?  Is this another one of those times where you make a vague, unintelligible statement, and then when asked to clarify, you run away?

I feel the need to restate everything again here.  Here is the conversation so far:

PkrBum:  ".7 is not unicorns and rainbows... it's likely below inflation. Bofer should know that... if he were honest and objective."

PkrBum, can you simply state your point?  You realize that I really can't set the bar any lower for you, right?  I mean, if you can't even explain your own subjective beliefs...

Let me see if I can give you some help here in coming up with the words to explain the inflation part of your comment.  Did you mean to say that since our growth in GDP is roughly the same as our rate of inflation, we can therefor conclude that we didn't actually have any economic growth?  Instead, all we have is inflated numbers?  Is that what you're trying to say, PkrBum?  

Well?

boards of FL

boards of FL

boards of FL wrote:
boards of FL wrote:

Let me see if I can give you some help here in coming up with the words to explain the inflation part of your comment.  Did you mean to say that since our growth in GDP is roughly the same as our rate of inflation, we can therefor conclude that we didn't actually have any economic growth?  Instead, all we have is inflated numbers?  Is that what you're trying to say, PkrBum?  

Well?

You seriously have to be kidding me.   So let me get this straight.  You just entered this thread, called me dishonest, made a vague reference to inflation, and you can't even explain what you meant there?  You can't find the words to simply communicate your own thoughts?  Each time I think we've hit rock bottom, PkrBum digs deeper.

PkrBum, you're leaving me no choice here but to take a guess at what your intent was with that first post.  I can only assume that what you intended to say was that if inflation is at 0.7% and if our economy is growing at 0.7%, that isn't really growth.  That is just inflated prices creating the appearance of growth.  Here again, I can only guess here since you're not equipped with the ability to simply communicate your own thoughts or political beliefs unless they are pre-written for you in an article that you can link to.   So that is my guess at what you were trying to say, and here is the problem with that:  GDP numbers are adjusted for inflation.  The headline number of 0.7% is real GDP - meaning, GDP adjusted for inflation.  If we only look at the raw numbers - or, nominal GDP -  we see that the economy grew at a rate of 1.5% annualized in the fourth quarter.  It is only after we adjust that figure to account for inflation that we arrive at the 0.7% number.  

Had you simply read the first sentence of the actual GDP report, you could have saved yourself the embarrassment of being an ignorant clown, confidently stating your opinion while insulting others in a discussion of subject matter that you clearly know nothing about.

Real gross domestic product -- the value of the goods and services produced by the nation’s economy less the value of the goods and services used up in production, adjusted for price changes -- increased at an annual rate of 0.7 percent in the fourth quarter of 2015, according to the
"advance" estimate released by the Bureau of Economic Analysis. In the third quarter, real GDP increased 2.0 percent.

Lol... I hadn't even read this. Omy... I guess I have to concede that the economy grew at .7. Congratulations comrade.

Until the revision... amiright?

boards of FL

boards of FL

PkrBum wrote:Lol... I hadn't even read this. Omy... I guess I have to concede that the economy grew at .7. Congratulations comrade.

Until the revision... amiright?

You still have somehow managed to not respond, and I'm running out of ways to dumb this down any further.  Do you understand what I have asked you?  

You said this:

PkrBum wrote:.7 is not unicorns and rainbows... it's likely below inflation. Bofer should know that... if he were honest and objective.

Can you explain what your point was or whatever it was that you were trying to suggest there?  I swear this isn't a trick question.  

My point was that this is a very poor indicator... and that you will not honestly report that. Are you buying?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum