Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

PNJ Viewpoint-Local Republican Strategist Blasts Those Who Support 'The Donald'

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

http://www.pnj.com/story/opinion/2016/01/20/hometown-broke-heart/79056558/

I have always been proud to be a Republican, but this year, I am terrified by what I see my party becoming. Instead of an “umbrella party” that welcomes everyone, I see a party whose frontrunner for the presidency wants to rid the nation of diversity. I see a party allowing a man with no experience in government, politics, or international relations to exploit their fears and encourage them hate those who look, speak, worship, or think differently.

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

2seaoat

The new Republican Party.....it sells fear.....bought and paid for shills for the 1%, and never missed an opportunity to divide and conquer America.

An "umbrella" party doesn't "allow" a candidate to run... it's inclusive... along with a woman, a black man, and two candidates of hispanic heritage. While the dnc choices are of all old white career politicians... with one fully dnc backed.

It's a nice talkingpoint if you're in the tank for the dnc... but doesn't pass the smell test if you have a bit of objectivity.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

ZVUGKTUBM wrote:http://www.pnj.com/story/opinion/2016/01/20/hometown-broke-heart/79056558/

I have always been proud to be a Republican, but this year, I am terrified by what I see my party becoming. Instead of an “umbrella party” that welcomes everyone, I see a party whose frontrunner for the presidency wants to rid the nation of diversity. I see a party allowing a man with no experience in government, politics, or international relations to exploit their fears and encourage them hate those who look, speak, worship, or think differently.

I can't read the PNJ since I'm not subscribed so I don't know who said this.
But about this part...

"a man with no experience in government, politics, or international relations"

Anyone who wrote that is not someone who offers anything of value in the way of commentary.
Trump has obviously been heavily involved in the world of politics his whole adult life.  And the "no experience in international relations" is a laughable statement.
He's been involved with that shit as much as anyone.  How could he not have been and built that global real estate empire.

I think a good argument can be made that he's been more involved in all of that than just about any other candidate with the exception of Hillary.

There are plenty of ways to find fault with Trump without resorting to stupid stuff that's not even correct.
By the way,  which local said this?  What's his or her name?

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

Here it is, Bob.... The PNJ made it their main editorial and put it right below Andy Marlette's cartoon on the Opinion Page. This piece was also 208 words longer than the PNJ allows for Viewpoint Articles.

Hometown broke my heart

Pensacola raised me. I’m proud of my hometown and I’m proud of how I turned out.

As a Southern lady, I was raised to have manners. I was taught that class couldn’t be bought and that a person’s character said more about who they were than their words ever could. I was brought up to stand up to bullies and to protect the underdog. Growing up in the Bible Belt, I was raised with Christian ideals that I strive to live by. I was taught not to hate, not to judge, and to “love my neighbor.”

For all of these reasons, I am confused and heartbroken by the fact that this area has become a stronghold for a political candidate who goes against everything I have ever been taught about how to treat people.
I was raised a conservative in what is unquestionably one of the most conservative regions in the entire United States. When I turned 18 and could register to vote, I didn’t even have to think about what party. My party was that of God-fearing, Jesus-loving patriots who flew the flag, honored those who fought for our country, helped small businesses and vehemently defended my rights as an American citizen. It was the party of apple pies, and “yes ma’am” and “no sir.” The party of hard work and the American dream. I was a Republican and believed my party displayed what was best about America.

I have always been proud to be a Republican, but this year, I am terrified by what I see my party becoming. Instead of an “umbrella party” that welcomes everyone, I see a party whose front-runner for the presidency wants to rid the nation of diversity. I see a party allowing a man with no experience in government, politics or international relations to exploit people’s fears and encourage them to hate those who look, speak, worship or think differently. How can we be the party that fights to the death to protect the words “one nation under God” when we are essentially worshipping a golden idol whose message is anything but godly?

I don’t know how we got here. I don’t know when it became socially acceptable to be a bully. What I do know is that Donald Trump will be the end of our party if we continue to condone and encourage his actions. Independents, moderates and young people will not vote for him. If Donald Trump becomes the nominee, we will not only lose the presidency, but we will likely lose Congress as well.

Donald Trump has already set our party back 20 years by not only exposing, but parading some of the viler, more disgusting traits exhibited by of those on the fringes of our party. Because of what we as a party have allowed him to do, to the rest of the world, the Republican Party of today is one of bigotry, ignorance, intolerance and hatred. That is not my Republican Party and not one I want to be associated with. It is also not a party that can survive.

The Republican Party is better than this. We deserve better than this. And, luckily, it’s not too late. We need to remember who we are and what we stand for. It is imperative that we hold tight to our morals and ideals. We need to return to the reason we joined the party to begin with — to be the people who stand up for what is right, moral and just, and fight against tyranny in our world — and start fighting against tyranny in our party.

Ryan Wiggins is a Republican political strategist and Pensacola native.

PNJ Viewpoint-Local Republican Strategist Blasts Those Who Support 'The Donald' Zzdr10
Ryan Wiggins

Last edited by ZVUGKTUBM on 1/22/2016, 11:59 am; edited 1 time in total

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

Sal

Sal

For gawd's sake, the Republican party has been on this path for over 35 years.

People who act surprised about where they have arrived haven't been paying attention.

It is well past time that people of good conscience abandon the GOP.

I switched my party affiliation to Democrat from Independent after the Clinton impeachment debacle.

That is when I first recognized the prion disease afflicting the GOP, and I wanted to have a say in the Democratic primaries.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum