Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Republicans say Obama has been historically divisive

+7
ZVUGKTUBM
2seaoat
EmeraldGhost
Vikingwoman
knothead
TEOTWAWKI
nadalfan
11 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

nadalfan

Excellent summary

http://theweek.com/articles/599246/republicans-say-obama-been-historically-divisive-thats-revealing?utm_source=links&utm_medium=website&utm_campaign=facebook

There's no doubt that when historians assess the Obama presidency, they will pay a great deal of attention to the deep political divisions within the country, and how those divisions shaped political events. There are racial divisions, class divisions, and, most of all, political divisions. Within Congress, for instance, the parties have been moving apart for the last 40 years, as fewer and fewer moderates get elected and the median of both parties moves toward the edge. But the reality is that while Democrats have moved left, Republicans have been moving right much more sharply — a fact not only established by political science but evident to anyone remotely familiar with Capitol Hill.

Yet Republicans are sure that the fault for all this — long-term trends and recent developments alike — can be laid at the feet of Barack Obama, who is terribly, appallingly, despicably divisive.

If we are divided, it's only because Obama has divided us. "We have not seen such a divisive figure in modern American history" as Barack Obama, Marco Rubio said in 2012. Four years later, his opinion hasn't changed; last week he tweeted, "This president has been the single most divisive political figure this country has had over the last decade." After Obama's recent State of the Union address, Ted Cruz fumed, "He lectures us on civility yet has been one of the most divisive presidents in American history." Or as one Republican congressman said last week, "There probably has not been a more racially-divisive, economic-divisive president in the White House since we had presidents who supported slavery." You won't find too many Republicans who would disagree.

Yet if you spend some time investigating what evidence Republicans offer when they call Obama divisive, what you find is not actually evidence at all, but their own skewed interpretations of events. "He says 'It's my way or the highway' on legislation!", they charge — although he doesn't actually say that. It's just that he has a different legislative agenda than they do. "He crammed ObamaCare down our throats!" — this is a sentence that has been written and spoken a thousand times (just Google it for yourself). Back on Planet Earth, the Affordable Care Act spent over a year going through endless hearings, floor speeches, and debates, and in the end passed the House and Senate and was signed by the president, which you may recall is how a bill becomes a law.

Here's the truth: You might like Barack Obama or you might not; you might think he has been a good president or a bad one. But the idea that blame for the political divisions we confront lies solely or even primarily at his door is positively deranged.

Why the 2016 election has devolved into an authenticity sweepstakes
Let's just remind ourselves of how Republicans have treated Obama over his seven years in office, with a few of the greatest hits. You can start right on the day of his inauguration, when congressional Republicans gathered for a dinner at which they decided that rather than seek areas of cooperation with the new president, they would employ a strategy of maximum confrontation and obstruction in order to deny him any legislative victories.

They followed through on this plan. As Mitch McConnell explained proudly in 2010, "Our top political priority over the next two years should be to deny Barack Obama a second term."

At Obama's speech in front of Congress in 2009, a Republican member of the House, acting like a drunk frat boy in a comedy club, decided to heckle him, shouting "You lie!" In the time since, conservative Republicans have regularly acted as though Obama is presumptuous for even acting like the president; they've suggested things like not inviting him to deliver the SOTU, or depriving him of the use of Air Force One.

And then there's the question of how they explain it when Obama does things they don't like. Before you protest that Obama himself sometimes questions his opponents' motives, it's important to realize that when he does so, it's in a narrow way focused on the issue at hand — they really want to cut taxes for the wealthy, they don't think women ought to have access to abortion, they're too eager to start a new war, and so on — to explain their behavior at a particular moment. What he doesn't do, and what he has never done, is accuse them of hating their country. But this is something Republicans have done constantly — not once or twice, not a dozen times or even a hundred, but constantly for seven years.

"I do not believe that the president loves America," said Rudy Giuliani last year, in a statement notable only for being a tad more explicit than the way Republicans usually talk about this question."He wasn’t brought up the way you were brought up and I was brought up through love of this country." Often they will argue that the policies they disagree with are part of a secret plan of Obama's to hamper, diminish, or even destroy the country. Among the things said in the last debate by Marco Rubio — supposedly the reasonable establishment candidate — were that Obama "believes that America is an arrogant global power that needs to be cut down to size," that when elected in 2008 he "didn't want to fix America," that he "doesn't believe in the Constitution," and that he "doesn't believe in the free enterprise system."

In fact, any time you hear a Republican begin a sentence with "Barack Obama believes…" it's an absolute guarantee that what follows will be an utter lie about how Obama doesn't accept the basic values nearly all Americans agree on, that his ideas are alien and threatening. As Newt Gingrich said in 2010, "What if he is so outside our comprehension, that only if you understand Kenyan, anticolonial behavior, can you begin to piece together [his actions]? That is the most accurate, predictive model for his behavior."

Their voters believe it — indeed, many if not most of them believe that Obama is not American at all. A recent poll by the Democratic firm PPP found that only 29 percent of Republicans would grant that the president is an American citizen. A majority of Republicans also believe he is a Muslim; in other words, that when he goes to church or talks about his Christian beliefs, he's just lying. Polls have shown similar findings for much of his presidency. A poll by the same firm just after the 2012 election showed 49 percent of Republicans saying ACORN stole the election for Obama (which would have been quite a feat, since the organization ceased to exist in 2010).

They don't get these ideas from nowhere. They get them from the leading lights of the GOP, the politicians and media figures who tell them day in and day out that Obama hates them and hates America, and that he is a black nationalist whose policy proposals are about exacting reparations from whites for imaginary racial sins of the past.

If you're even a marginally aware conservative, you've been marinating for seven years in this toxic stew of resentment and hatred. So no one should be surprised that this year Republican voters are angry. But that's Obama's fault too, of course — you might have heard many of them blame the fact that their party has been taken over by a xenophobic blowhard on, you guessed it, Barack Obama.

Yes, it was terribly poor manners of him to make them hate him so, to bring out such ugliness in Republicans. But what choice did they have? And this is the best explanation for their argument that Obama is so terribly divisive: it's projection. They're blaming him for their own shortcomings, their own misdeeds, the political divisions that they have worked so hard to exacerbate.

"It's one of the few regrets of my presidency," Obama said in his State of the Union address this year, "that the rancor and suspicion between the parties has gotten worse instead of better. I have no doubt a president with the gifts of Lincoln or Roosevelt might have better bridged the divide." Maybe, but probably not.

Obama could have invited more Republicans to play golf with him, or invested more time trying to convince them that the Affordable Care Act was a good idea. But would those things — or anything he might have done — really changed how they acted? The party who wouldn't work with him on any legislation, who shut down the government, who vilified him from the moment he took office, who literally made him show his birth certificate to prove he's an American? Not a chance.

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

As would any Muslim president be in a predominately Christian nation...

knothead

knothead

Thank you nadalfan for posting this excellent summary of the headwinds of Republican obstructionism from his first day in office. Why or how good honest Americans who buy into Republicanism can stand silently on the sidelines and not acknowledge the multiple examples of the shameful tactics to diminish and demonize President Obama at every turn. I still await the moment when any 'conservative' would publicly praise the President for something . . . . . . . anything . . . . . . it is shameful but his legacy will be determined by historians in a much kinder light I believe.
Finally, Teo's snarky remark is a prime example of the endless disrespect but it is nothing unique rather it is and has been rampant among the fear/hate mongers.

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

I've never kissed any presidents ass, never will...these puppets are useless figureheads doing the bidding of the moneyed elite...they deserve no respect...maybe JFK...but the rest are a bad joke...

knothead

knothead

TEOTWAWKI wrote:I've never kissed any presidents ass, never will...these puppets are useless figureheads doing the bidding of the moneyed elite...they deserve no respect...maybe JFK...but the rest are a bad joke...

I rest my case T . . . . .

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

knothead wrote:
TEOTWAWKI wrote:I've never kissed any presidents ass, never will...these puppets are useless figureheads doing the bidding of the moneyed elite...they deserve no respect...maybe JFK...but the rest are a bad joke...

ooooo so very deep....ooooo impressed by your brevity I am.......LOL.

Vikingwoman

knothead wrote:

Look at T's byline,Knot. If that doesn't tell you something I don't know what will. He praises political leaders who kill their own people while he disses his own President. This is the kind of nuts we have in this country on the right.

EmeraldGhost

EmeraldGhost

The sooner Obama is out of office the better .... except if Hillary were to win, now that's be really bad.

2seaoat

positively deranged.

Yep, I like that phrase describing modern Republicans.

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

Vikingwoman wrote:
knothead wrote:

Look at T's byline,Knot. If that doesn't tell you something I don't know what will. He praises political leaders who kill their own people while he disses his own President. This is the kind of nuts we have in this country on the right.
s

Our murdering government has killed its share of citizens. I admire those three men because they were working with some of the hardest most dogmatic and brutal people on the planet and they were able to get them to live together. Yes they were tough leaders that didn't put up with people trying to assassinate them. Why would they ? They were better leaders than we have if you value results based on degree of difficulty.

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

If you do not do the will of the Wall Street Bankers, the MIC, and the big corporations, you can wind up dead, as Kennedy found out the hard way.... Of course, the inquiry always blames some deranged killer for the assassination.....

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

Markle

Markle

ZVUGKTUBM wrote:

If you do not do the will of the Wall Street Bankers, the MIC, and the big corporations, you can wind up dead, as Kennedy found out the hard way.... Of course, the inquiry always blames some deranged killer for the assassination.....

Whenever you are backed into a corner and have no response, you change the subject. Just like Hillary Clinton.

Allow me to refresh your memory. The topic here is the most divisive president in modern history, lame duck President Obama.

Markle

Markle

ZVUGKTUBM wrote:

Whenever you are backed into a corner and have no response, you change the subject.  Just like Hillary Clinton.

Allow me to refresh your memory.  The topic here is the most divisive president in modern history, lame duck President Obama.

Vikingwoman

TEOTWAWKI wrote:
Vikingwoman wrote:
knothead wrote:

s

Our murdering government  has killed its share of citizens. I admire those three men because they were working with some of the hardest most dogmatic and brutal people on the planet and they were able to get them to live together. Yes they were tough leaders that didn't put up with people trying to assassinate them.  Why would they ?  They were better leaders than we have if you value results based on degree of difficulty.  

Working with? Are you insane? They were dictators who ruled the people brutally. They weren't trying to kill them because they were good to them. Jesus Teo, where did you get such a screwed up perspective?

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

Vikingwoman wrote:
TEOTWAWKI wrote:
Vikingwoman wrote:
knothead wrote:

s

Our murdering government  has killed its share of citizens. I admire those three men because they were working with some of the hardest most dogmatic and brutal people on the planet and they were able to get them to live together. Yes they were tough leaders that didn't put up with people trying to assassinate them.  Why would they ?  They were better leaders than we have if you value results based on degree of difficulty.  

Working with? Are you insane? They were dictators who ruled the people brutally. They weren't trying to kill them because they were good to them. Jesus Teo, where did you get such a screwed up perspective?

I didn't listen to a mainstream media OWNED by the CIA...

Vikingwoman

Oh come on,Teo! You didn't have to listen to the CIA to know these people were treated terribly by these leaders. Seriously, how can you admire leaders like that and blame the people? There's a huge crack n your armor here.

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

Actually look at the people themselves. Without a firm hand they would be constantly killing each other over obscure Koran interpretations. Also Qaddafi was really helping his people come into the 21st century with free school, healthcare and trying to wean them off the US Dollar by going on a gold standard...that is the main reason he was demonized and killed..The CIA is beyond demonic....

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

http://rense.com/general95/theam.htm

1. There is no electricity bill in Libya; electricity is free for all its citizens.
2. There is no interest on loans, banks in Libya are state-owned and loans given to all its citizens at 0% interest by law.
3. Home considered a human right in Libya ­ Gaddafi vowed that his parents would not get a house until everyone in Libya had a home. Gaddafi's father has died while him, his wife and his mother are still living in a tent.
4. All newlyweds in Libya receive $60,000 Dinar (US$50,000) by the government to buy their first apartment so to help start up the family.
5. Education and medical treatments are free in Libya. Before Gaddafi only 25% of Libyans are literate. Today the figure is 83%.
6. Should Libyans want to take up farming career, they would receive farming land, a farming house, equipments, seeds and livestock to kick-start their farms ­ all for free.
7. If Libyans cannot find the education or medical facilities they need in Libya, the government funds them to go abroad for it ­ not only free but they get US$2,300/mth accommodation and car allowance.
8. In Libyan, if a Libyan buys a car, the government subsidized 50% of the price.
9. The price of petrol in Libya is $0.14 per liter.
10. Libya has no external debt and its reserves amount to $150 billion ­ now frozen globally.

Great Man-Made River project in Libya $27 billion.

11. If a Libyan is unable to get employment after graduation the state would pay the average salary of the profession as if he or she is employed until employment is found.
12. A portion of Libyan oil sale is, credited directly to the bank accounts of all Libyan citizens.
13. A mother who gave birth to a child receive US$5,000
14. 40 loaves of bread in Libya costs $ 0.15
15. 25% of Libyans have a university degree
16. Gaddafi carried out the world's largest irrigation project, known as the Great Man-Made River project, to make water readily available throughout the desert country.

Which other dictator has done so much good for his people?

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

Gaddafi refused to do the bidding of the Rothschild-centered global banking cartel in 5 areas:

· A Gaddafi-Centered African Union With A Common Currency
· A Gaddafi-Run Central Bank Of Libya
· A Gaddafi-Holding Of 150 Tons Of Gold
· A Gaddafi-Run Libyan Oil Industry
· A Gaddafi-Run 'Blue-Gold' Water Reserves

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

http://www.globalresearch.ca/libya-ten-things-about-gaddafi-they-dont-want-you-to-know/5414289

Sal

Sal

Un-fucking-believable.

You rail about the authoritarianism of the United States government constantly, and yet you excuse the subjugation of the masses by brutal despots because you believe you possess a superior mythology.

You are one sick puppy.

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

Salinsky wrote:Un-fucking-believable.

You rail about the authoritarianism of the United States government constantly, and yet you excuse the subjugation of the masses by brutal despots because you believe you possess a superior mythology.

You are one sick puppy.

And you are smelly pile o shit....The founding fathers said our form of government would only work for a people with Christian values..Muslims don't have Christian values and only respond to strength, but of course that doesn't suit your idiotic thought processes, if you ever had a thought that wasn't given you by the Communist Party handbook...Some people are just not ready for harmony and understanding...like you...

Sal

Sal

It is suddenly very clear why you would support Trump ....

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2016/01/donald-trump-2016-authoritarian-213533

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

Well if Lenin was running you would be his strongest supporter...Your buddy Obama has been more of a dictator than Lincoln or Roosevelt....anyway it doesn't matter America has cancer and it's dying...there's already bleeding tumors breaking the skin....called Detroit , Flint and San Jose..with an advanced metastasis all over.  Our burgeoning police state is just a political form of chemo...

dumpcare

TEOTWAWKI wrote:http://rense.com/general95/theam.htm

1. There is no electricity bill in Libya; electricity is free for all its citizens.
2. There is no interest on loans, banks in Libya are state-owned and loans given to all its citizens at 0% interest by law.
3. Home considered a human right in Libya ­ Gaddafi vowed that his parents would not get a house until everyone in Libya had a home. Gaddafi's father has died while him, his wife and his mother are still living in a tent.
4. All newlyweds in Libya receive $60,000 Dinar (US$50,000) by the government to buy their first apartment so to help start up the family.
5. Education and medical treatments are free in Libya. Before Gaddafi only 25% of Libyans are literate. Today the figure is 83%.
6. Should Libyans want to take up farming career, they would receive farming land, a farming house, equipments, seeds and livestock to kick-start their farms ­ all for free.
7. If Libyans cannot find the education or medical facilities they need in Libya, the government funds them to go abroad for it ­ not only free but they get US$2,300/mth accommodation and car allowance.
8. In Libyan, if a Libyan buys a car, the government subsidized 50% of the price.
9. The price of petrol in Libya is $0.14 per liter.
10. Libya has no external debt and its reserves amount to $150 billion ­ now frozen globally.

Great Man-Made River project in Libya $27 billion.

11. If a Libyan is unable to get employment after graduation the state would pay the average salary of the profession as if he or she is employed until employment is found.
12. A portion of Libyan oil sale is, credited directly to the bank accounts of all Libyan citizens.
13. A mother who gave birth to a child receive US$5,000
14. 40 loaves of bread in Libya costs $ 0.15
15. 25% of Libyans have a university degree
16. Gaddafi carried out the world's largest irrigation project, known as the Great Man-Made River project, to make water readily available throughout the desert country.

Which other dictator has done so much good for his people?

Heck some of this list sounds like what Bernie would do with his proposed healthcare plan. It's  not exactly like it should be though, he'd bury the U.S. if it was ever passed.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum