Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

LA will pay over $24m to wrongfully convicted men who spent decades in jail

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

https://www.rt.com/usa/329506-los-angeles-settlement-wrongful-convictions/

The Los Angeles City Council voted Tuesday to pay $16.7 million and $7.6 million to Kash Register and Bruce Lisker, respectively, who were arrested as teens and spent a combined 60 years in jail for murders they did not commit.
Tags
Police

While the two cases were independent of one another, they share a common complaint against the Los Angeles Police Department. Detectives concocted evidence against Register and Lisker, each man’s overturned conviction and lawsuit against the city stated.

"I can't get these 34 years back, but I hope my case can help make things better for others, through improving the way the police get identifications or other reforms," Register said in a statement released by his attorneys Tuesday, according to the Los Angeles Times.

EmeraldGhost

EmeraldGhost

Sounds like technicalities .... they probably did it.

Vikingwoman

I seriously doubt a city council would grant millions of dollars on a technicality. I see you are of the mindset if you are accused you are guilty, EG. Thank God we have DNA evidence now which has exonerated thousands of wrongfully convicted people. We cannot depend on misguided and predjudicial opinions.

EmeraldGhost

EmeraldGhost

Vikingwoman wrote:I seriously doubt a city council would grant millions of dollars on a technicality.

The courts let 'em out on a technicality ... the city has no choice but to pay up.   Will cost them as much or more to fight the civil lawsuit.

Based on the linked news report .... I'd say it's as likely as not they actually did the crimes.

You are aware, are you not, that the courts are not about right/wrong or any high falutin' ideas like "justice?" ... The courts are about the law.  That's it.

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

LA will pay over $24m to wrongfully convicted men who spent decades in jail  LadyJusticeImage

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum