Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Sad closing

+4
ZVUGKTUBM
polecat
TEOTWAWKI
RealLindaL
8 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Sad closing Empty Sad closing 1/19/2016, 2:25 am

RealLindaL

The Hallmark store in the Wal-Mart Neighborhood Market plaza in Gulf Breeze Proper is going to close by the end of February.  They are selling most merchandise at 50% off.  From what I can gather, their long term lease is expiring and they were unable to come to terms on a new one.  They said they and Hallmark had been looking for over a year but couldn't find a place with sufficient space, acceptable rent, and with an owner/manager willing to sign a long term lease.  They are wary of shorter leases as just an opportunity to "screw them over" at renewal time.   They mentioned New York Nick's as an example of what happens with only a five year lease.

This is a real loss to the Proper, as far as I'm concerned.  For 15 years I've counted on them for unusual greeting cards and special gifts, and hate the thought of having to run way down the highway whenever I need something, especially when it's for my husband and I'm trying to sneak in a card-and-gift-buying visit in conjunction with another local errand or appointment.  

Maybe 2016 will be the year I stop sending out Christmas cards....the ones Hallmark carried were unfailingly special and the selection was large.

I just hate that this business is basically being forced out by circumstances beyond their control.  Heck, I  just hate this, period. Sad

I

2Sad closing Empty Re: Sad closing 1/19/2016, 9:27 am

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

Greeting cards ?  I guess I should be happy that there are still ladies that hold on to old time traditions...so many have gone away....

Sad closing ?u=http%3A%2F%2Fmedia.riffsy
cat hates musical greeting card...

https://www.bluemountain.com/

3Sad closing Empty Re: Sad closing 1/19/2016, 11:15 am

polecat

polecat

I've been on the road a lot lately what happened to New York Nick's?

4Sad closing Empty Re: Sad closing 1/19/2016, 11:27 am

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

Just get an eCard subscription and go paperless. It is the modern trend.

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

5Sad closing Empty Re: Sad closing 1/19/2016, 11:54 am

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

polecat wrote:I've been on the road a lot lately what happened to New York Nick's?
The location will become a breezeway.....a nice breezeway. 

http://www.pnj.com/story/news/local/pensacola/2016/01/06/new-york-nicks-close-april-4/78305224/

6Sad closing Empty Re: Sad closing 1/19/2016, 6:13 pm

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Hate to see Hallmark closing. It is a private owned franchise frequented by Breezers.

7Sad closing Empty Re: Sad closing 1/19/2016, 7:01 pm

knothead

knothead

Joanimaroni wrote:Hate to see Hallmark closing. It is a private owned franchise frequented by Breezers.

. . . . . . . . and Beachers! lol

8Sad closing Empty Re: Sad closing 1/19/2016, 7:24 pm

EmeraldGhost

EmeraldGhost

I understand how the OP feels. Tragic, ..... truly tragic, I tell ya!

Broke my heart too when they closed up all the wheelwright's shops. Now where am I gonna get a wagon wheel repaired?

Sad closing Wheeel_26

9Sad closing Empty Re: Sad closing 1/19/2016, 7:53 pm

Markle

Markle

ZVUGKTUBM wrote:Just get an eCard subscription and go paperless. It is the modern trend.

Not NEARLY the same thing.

10Sad closing Empty Re: Sad closing 1/19/2016, 10:39 pm

RealLindaL

Markle wrote:
ZVUGKTUBM wrote:Just get an eCard subscription and go paperless. It is the modern trend.

Not NEARLY the same thing.

Exactly so, Markle.   I mail out Christmas cards every year to friends and loved ones near and far, love the beautiful tradition and don't plan to change it.  Look, I wouldn't hand my husband the mouse on his birthday (or on our anniversary, or Valentine's, or any special occasion) and tell him to go look at the ecard I sent.  Are you kidding me???

Besides, aside from a greeting card store Renee's Hallmark is also a full service gift shop -- one of the largest in the area -- carrying everything from Christmas ornaments to jewelry, sports themed gifts (for those who care), candles, special knick-knacks and decorative items, gift wrapping of all kinds and themes, lotions and aromatics -- virtually everything special and unique -- and I could go on and on and on.   Those of you making light of the passing of this wonderful shop in our midst -- and the loss of livelihood for all those involved -- might want to think twice.   You say you love America?  Well, this little piece of America -- this successful small business serving a specialty niche in Gulf Breeze -- is closing after being in the same place for 20 years, due solely to the greed of the shopping plaza owners.

Further, I stopped back in there this afternoon and saw YOUNG women buying dozens and dozens of greeting cards at 50% off.  So obviously not everyone under 50 has converted solely to e-cards.  Thank GOODNESS.

11Sad closing Empty Re: Sad closing 1/19/2016, 10:58 pm

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

It's a beautiful little shop.

12Sad closing Empty Re: Sad closing 1/20/2016, 3:30 am

RealLindaL

Yes it is, Joani.  But starting to look a bit sad and empty around the edges already....      I find myself hoping for some knight in shining armor to come along and save them, but alas, it's not likely to be.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum